IGNORED

Tori and Bobby Smith Part 5: Had Kade and Pregnant Again

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

So I wonder how many more  people this baby will be exposed too? 

EF86604F-C95D-4196-8AB9-CD2AC4D1EFB8.png

I saw a few comments calling Katie out for visiting the baby during the current pandemic however when I just looked again they seem to have been deleted. I’m in the UK so unsure what the rules are there re social distancing/isolation. 

Edited by Alysabeth
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

So I wonder how many more  people this baby will be exposed too?

To be fair, covid does not seem to affect children. But definitely, if I had a baby these days, I would keep my relatives away! You never know what may happen. At least, Katie should be wearing a mask and gloves.

1 hour ago, Alysabeth said:

I’m in the UK so unsure what the rules are there re social distancing/isolation

Not sure about Tennessee, but the main rule is "stay at home", unless it's urgent to go out. And, if you are with people, keep some distance. But Bates are over rules (what sounds even worse considering they have a policeman and a future nurse in the family).

My grandma is very old. I cannot visit her, she's sad. People are suffering because this situation. But yes, Katie can go visit a newborn because she wants to...

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Not sure about Tennessee, but the main rule is "stay at home", unless it's urgent to go out. And, if you are with people, keep some distance. But Bates are over rules (what sounds even worse considering they have a policeman and a future nurse in the family).

My grandma is very old. I cannot visit her, she's sad. People are suffering because this situation. But yes, Katie can go visit a newborn because she wants to...

Thank you. That’s similar to here. Stay home unless it is an emergency, you are shopping for essential supplies or helping someone who is quarantined. 

Amongst those who are quarantined are those who have recently been in hospital. For example my uncle had a heart attack last week (it never rains but pours!), had a brief stay in hospital and is now quarantined at home for 14 days in case he picked up the virus whilst in hospital. Did Tori give birth in hospital? If so, by visiting the baby Katie is not only putting Bobby, Tori and kids at risk but also risking catching the virus herself and taking it home to the rest of the Bates family. 

I’m sorry you are not able to visit your grandma at the moment, it is the best thing to do but by no means easy :(

• Upvote 4
  • Love 6

I scrolled through the comments and saw one that said 

“there’s no better immune-booster than LOVE” 

......what?

• Upvote 1
  • Angry 2
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 16

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

To be fair, covid does not seem to affect children. But definitely, if I had a baby these days, I would keep my relatives away! You never know what may happen. At least, Katie should be wearing a mask and gloves.

Babies can die of Covid19 too

Less often than grown up, though I wouldn't take my chances with a newborn.

A baby in Illinois just died, a 2 month old here is on a respirator.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-infant-under-the-age-of-one-is-youngest-person-to-die-from-virus/news-story/7ed1213da093885cf39935eca28894b8

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 4

I’m due three days before Tori’s due date and my obgyn has said we should wait 3 days after leaving the hospital before any of our parents visit. We have three sets and were going to make them come on different days. Our siblings will wait until restrictions are lifted. If we had any symptoms in those three days, then we’d quarantine.

He said we are a bigger threat to them than they are to us or the baby.

That was at my appt on Thursday, I will see what he says this week. My county is under stay at home order, as are the counties of two of the three parent sets. 

Also was told to start quarantine 14 days before induction (39-41 weeks when they would induce), so we won’t even go to the grocery store starting next Sunday.

It feels a bit selfish to me that the Smiths are going to parade this umpteenth baby around the family in the middle of a pandemic, but we’ve been trying to have a baby since before Tori and Bobby announced they were courting, so I will probably always hate them a little bit regardless!

• Upvote 8
  • Love 8

10 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

To be fair, covid does not seem to affect children.

First infant, under one, died of Covid-19 in Chicago yesterday.  Any underlying conditions not yet known.

No way would I allow anyone around my infant now if I were a new mom. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

I supose that Tori do need some help around the house with 2 babies and having just given birth. I hope the rest of the family waits to meet the baby, no need to expose him to that many people.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, theotherelise said:

we should wait 3 days after leaving the hospital before any of our parents visit. 

Sorry but how do 3 days make sense?

Still a real danger to the kid.

Look, I get wanting to see your newborn grandkid, but you should love them enough not to put them in danger.

Edited by squiddysquid
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

@squiddysquid I’m not sure if you meant to, but this came off as very aggressive. I’m just sharing what my obgyn told me at my 37w4d appointment. We haven’t made any decisions yet about when after we get home we will try and arrange visits, just told all the grandparents that no visits can happen right away. They all understand that and we are keeping up with their situations if anything changes for them.

You might be able to imagine that this has been a really difficult time. After 2.5 years of isolating infertility, there were seven medical people in the room when we did the frozen embryo transfer that resulted in this pregnancy, whereas conception for most is intimate and private. Our families were not able to connect with that struggle and offer meaningful support at all. Now I have to go to appointments alone (a trigger for me because of how many shockingly negative appointments I’ve hat in this process) and can’t welcome guests at the hospital, a time when our families can finally relate and connect with us. After bringing food for dozens of friends after their children were born, we expect our community support to be only remote well-wishes. 

We are following the guidance of our doctor (who is overly cautious and even told me to prepare for birthing without husband If it gets bad quickly here) and so far he is saying that in our area, we should wait three days after coming home from the hospital to make sure we aren’t developing symptoms and then it would be fine to have grandparents visit one pair at a time. All our parents are staying home right now but for groceries and know we are all taking it day by day and at a minimum following the advice of professionals.

• Upvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Love 18

My thoughts on having so many people meet the baby:

1) Babies are not immune to COVID-19. The baby can still catch it. He could even die. Even if the risks of him dying are low he could still become ill.

2) Bobby and Tori were just in the hospital. As was Kelly with one of her kids. Hospitals are a hotspot for this virus and any one of them can now be carriers.

3) Tori and Bobby could pass it to the family at the Bates compound and now 20 or so people have COVID-19 and can now pass it on to many, many other people in their community. The Bates could also give it to Bobby/Tori. Bobby is a plumber and an essential worker, he could now carry COVID out into the community if any of the Bates passed it to him.

None of these people should be needlessly interacting. They are all potential carriers whom are putting others at risk by being reckless. I get that newborns are adorable and that everyone wants to visit them. I, myself have an almost two month old who hasn’t gotten to see his Grandparents/family in many weeks, but that is the state of the world right now and we are al social distancing for a reason!

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 5

2 hours ago, theotherelise said:

@squiddysquid I’m not sure if you meant to, but this came off as very aggressive. I’m just sharing what my obgyn told me at my 37w4d appointment. We haven’t made any decisions yet about when after we get home we will try and arrange visits, just told all the grandparents that no visits can happen right away. They all understand that and we are keeping up with their situations if anything changes for them.

You might be able to imagine that this has been a really difficult time. After 2.5 years of isolating infertility, there were seven medical people in the room when we did the frozen embryo transfer that resulted in this pregnancy, whereas conception for most is intimate and private. Our families were not able to connect with that struggle and offer meaningful support at all. Now I have to go to appointments alone (a trigger for me because of how many shockingly negative appointments I’ve hat in this process) and can’t welcome guests at the hospital, a time when our families can finally relate and connect with us. After bringing food for dozens of friends after their children were born, we expect our community support to be only remote well-wishes. 

We are following the guidance of our doctor (who is overly cautious and even told me to prepare for birthing without husband If it gets bad quickly here) and so far he is saying that in our area, we should wait three days after coming home from the hospital to make sure we aren’t developing symptoms and then it would be fine to have grandparents visit one pair at a time. All our parents are staying home right now but for groceries and know we are all taking it day by day and at a minimum following the advice of professionals.

No im shaking my head about you Gyn as I'm a doctor as well, not OBS and a junior but still.

We all know the incubation period is more than 14 days.

And yes one of the dangers is you contracting it from the hospital.

But what about the 3 sets of grandparents who could catch it at the supermarket or something.

Especially the 3 days... Where does that come from?

I'd get a second opinion, ask the people at the hospital.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

I had a baby the same day as Tori. We're not having visitors and it's killing them (especially my MIL). We're not sending our older kids (ages 2 and 4) to daycare although we are still paying for it and could use the break. I also left the hospital 36 hours after having a c/section because of Covid19, which is a crazy short amount to stay post surgery. We wanted to be far away from the hospital (where they were caring for patients with it). The virus has totally screwed with my birthing plans and postpartum stuff but...it is what it is.

Children and babies are not immune to it, we don't know the long-term effects of it, and want to prevent spread of it. It totally sucks but visitors are not happening. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 18

Second K name baby was born on my daughter’s fourth birthday. I am getting Facebook flashbacks of how tiny she was. No way if she was born this year would anyone be coming near her. I am devastated with how easy going people are treating this. I work in a high risk essential job. I am a single mum. I made the heart breaking choice to send my daughter to live with friends for who knows how long to stop her being exposed. Fuckers just think god will protect them not their own common sense. 
I can’t be with my kid because I’m essential and people who can are putting them at risk!!! 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 24

8 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

My thoughts on having so many people meet the baby:

1) Babies are not immune to COVID-19. The baby can still catch it. He could even die. Even if the risks of him dying are low he could still become ill.

2) Bobby and Tori were just in the hospital. As was Kelly with one of her kids. Hospitals are a hotspot for this virus and any one of them can now be carriers.

3) Tori and Bobby could pass it to the family at the Bates compound and now 20 or so people have COVID-19 and can now pass it on to many, many other people in their community. The Bates could also give it to Bobby/Tori. Bobby is a plumber and an essential worker, he could now carry COVID out into the community if any of the Bates passed it to him.

None of these people should be needlessly interacting. They are all potential carriers whom are putting others at risk by being reckless. I get that newborns are adorable and that everyone wants to visit them. I, myself have an almost two month old who hasn’t gotten to see his Grandparents/family in many weeks, but that is the state of the world right now and we are al social distancing for a reason!

As you said Bobby and Tori were just at the hospital so someone must have stayed home with their oldest boy, and it was probably Katie since she seems to be the go to for nanny in the family at the moment.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Imo, the fault is not Katie's but Tori and Bobby's. It is their child and their responsibility to keep him safe and deter or not allow visitors. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

I mean, we don't really know how long Katie was at the house before, or quarantining before. 

I will be giving birth this summer. If this virus is still a threat, I will have my mother quarantine for two weeks (she already is due to immune system disease), drive to my apartment, and stay there. When I come home from the hospital she will be there to help me. She won't come to the hospital. 

Katie may have stayed at the Bates's home, then drove to Tori's. She wouldn't have been exposed to anyone else unless other people at the Bates's home were out and about. It doesn't seem like the kids who still live at home are going out, with the exception of Lawson, and who knows where he sleeps in reality. 

Do I trust the Bates's to pull this off? No. But we really don't know. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, kmachete14 said:

She wouldn't have been exposed to anyone else unless other people at the Bates's home were out and about.

Everyone who run out to the store risks picking it up and spreading it to those with whom they live.  Certainly everyone who goes to a hospital or medical facility risks picking it up and bringing it home.

I hope this is over by the time you give birth, but if it isn't I hope your mom speaks with her doctor before exposing herself to you post hospital.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, kmachete14 said:

I mean, we don't really know how long Katie was at the house before, or quarantining before. 

I will be giving birth this summer. If this virus is still a threat, I will have my mother quarantine for two weeks (she already is due to immune system disease), drive to my apartment, and stay there. When I come home from the hospital she will be there to help me. She won't come to the hospital. 

Katie may have stayed at the Bates's home, then drove to Tori's. She wouldn't have been exposed to anyone else unless other people at the Bates's home were out and about. It doesn't seem like the kids who still live at home are going out, with the exception of Lawson, and who knows where he sleeps in reality. 

Do I trust the Bates's to pull this off? No. But we really don't know. 

Seems like Lawson is staying with the Duggars in Arkansas, at least he said so in his insta a few days ago. Well i think he said some friends but you know. This was before the tornado in Arkansas that he is currently helping with Medicorps, so he was already there.

Edited by llucie
  • Upvote 4

I had my baby last week too and won’t breath easily until we’re home two weeks. My parents stayed with our other kids and we had all home isolated for two weeks previously. Even so we won’t see my parents for two more weeks in case we were exposed at the hospital. But I’m in WA state where things are pretty locked down...I wonder if areas like TN are t quite worried enough yet...

• Upvote 3
  • Love 15

I spoke to my doctor today about having a family member stay with my kids versus going to the hospital to have the baby by myself and leaving them with my husband. I have a c-section planned in a few weeks. He pushed more for me having someone come stay and said he really didn't prefer I try to come alone. He said if both parties are isolating, then he was comfortable with us mingling. 

Edited by lizzybee
  • Love 13

Cases like these I wish we had more information. Did the parents have the virus first? Did the baby contract it in the hospital? Was the baby pre-term with undeveloped lungs or heart? Did the baby have other underlying conditions? Was the baby at first misdiagnosed as being sick with something else? What were the symptoms before the baby was found unresponsive, or was it a SIDS-like discovery? 

It is scary as a parent to hear these things but knowing the details would help so much. 

• Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

On 4/2/2020 at 2:18 AM, squiddysquid said:

Coronavirus: Six-week-old baby dies of Covid-19, Connecticut governor says

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-baby-death-connecticut-map-us-cases-newborn-a9441331.html

Yeah, I wish you had put this under a spoiler, or waited until later to post it, rather than post immediately under the posts of two women who talk about their recent/upcoming deliveries. I'm not a mom and plan never to be a mom, yet I winced when I saw your post just after theirs.

Edited by scoutsadie
  • Upvote 2
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic