IGNORED

Tori and Bobby Smith Part 5: Had Kade and Pregnant Again

Coconut Flan

Tori doesnt seem to have the patience to deal with young children. At that age they should be playing, doing activities...but i guess at least its better than just turning the tv on like Alyssa does.

• Upvote 8

Crown students most likely do their student teaching in the church affiliated school. I know that is who it works at Hyles-Anderson.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, llucie said:

Tori doesnt seem to have the patience to deal with young children. At that age they should be playing, doing activities...but i guess at least its better than just turning the tv on like Alyssa does.

Yes, because at least Tori is engaging with and responding to them. But when I think about it, I might rather have my child sit in front of a TV a couple or hours/day than be with someone who speaks sternly to a pre-schooler for not sitting still and behaving 'properly' and somehow doing something that makes the other kids think my kid is bad. The video is one short snippet, or course, but if they were willing to post it publicly then it is most likely representative of what goes on regularly.

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Crown students most likely do their student teaching in the church affiliated school. I know that is who it works at Hyles-Anderson.

They do, but it isn't actually student teaching. They refer to it as an internship that is very heavy on the observation part and then they have a certain number of lessons they must lead. 

When I was burnt out on my career about 13 years ago, I went back and got my Elementary Education Bachelor of Science. I spent two and a half years taking classes and working in different age classrooms from Pre-K through 5th grade. By the time I got to student teaching, we observed one week, taught a few lessons the second week, and then we were quickly transitioned to be in charge and on our own with the teacher observing us. I'll admit that I thought I was ready for all this with how many hours of field experience I had prior and how many lessons I had taught. That was nothing.  

With Crown, according to their video channel and catalog, the "interns" rotate in and out of the classrooms because there aren't enough. Her time in the elementary classroom is limited at best. I say that as someone who focused on elementary. I had two semesters of preschool education, but I wasn't all that interested. The first required me to observe two classes and a lot of classroom work. The second semester I was in the Pre-K class more, but I always felt lost. Other than tying children's shoes, I had no idea what I was doing with 26 4 year olds. 

• Upvote 7

Seems woefully inadequate compared to my program:

Year 1: Observe one classroom 1 semester

Year 2: Observe one classroom + teach 3 lessons 1 semester

Year 3: Observe a teacher for her entire day + teach 3 lessons per each of her classes

Year 4: You ARE the teacher for one class (could be more than one period, if there are two sections of freshman Lit for example) and observe the teacher the rest of the day for 1 semester 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

On 3/19/2020 at 2:46 PM, rebeccawriter01 said:

No doubt that Crown probably struggles to find placements for everyone. K12 public schools are not going to want the Crown students in the classroom. They are not even close to eligible for licensing. 

Crown College isn't regionally accredited, correct? So I'm assuming its education majors are not eligible to take the state teaching exam and teach in public schools no matter how much classroom experience they have. I always assumed their graduates just planned to work in conservative Christian schools or home school their own kids. 

I agree that what we saw was pretty bad, but I will defend her a bit that with that many little kids (especially related to each other and in a house rather than a classroom), I can see her needing to be pretty firm so that it doesn't devolve into anarchy. I do hope she has much better and more engaging activities than what we saw. 

Though, I also have no doubt that Crown College is woefully behind in pedagogical methods. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Crown College isn't regionally accredited, correct? So I'm assuming its education majors are not eligible to take the state teaching exam and teach in public schools no matter how much classroom experience they have. I always assumed their graduates just planned to work in conservative Christian schools or home school their own kids. 

Correct. My point is that not all church based or Christian schools would welcome them. Many church based schools do see their own accreditation so their graduates can get into colleges and universities, as well as the school itself can get some funding from grants and whatnot. If the K-12 school has to meet certain standards, they aren't going to invite in teacher candidates from a school like Crown when accreditation boards have standards of who can be in a classroom and who can teach. Secondly, student teachers and teacher candidates have to have liability insurance. Most of us got ours by being student members of professional teaching organizations. Crown students wouldn't be eligible for those types of organizations because you have to be a candidate for licensure in most cases.

Many of the non-accredited programs for children are taught in churches for 2 and 3 year olds (4 years old in states without Pre-K). So let's say there are 5-10 such programs in the Knoxville area. For math we'll say 7. There were probably 20ish women in Tori's graduating class. If each of those seven said they would take a Crown student and had a 2 year old and a 3 year old class, that means there would be 14 spots for the internship. And that is if all seven programs wanted someone. Some might not. Some might be afraid of someone of another denomination coming in, etc. That is part of the reason why Crown would put them in for 2 weeks at a time.  The video on the Crown website shows two young women who say they are seniors. They refer to working with teachers at the "academy" and calling it mission work. They also teach Bible lessons at the Boys and Girls Club. 

The curriculum itself isn't something any regional accreditation board would accept. About 10-13 years ago, teacher education programs were required to have three 3-hour math education courses. There were three 3-hour teaching reading courses required. There were two 3-hour teaching science classes and then two 3-hour teaching social science courses. We had one class on special education, two on preschool, one on classroom management, and one on diversity in the classroom. We never had to take classes on the Bible, which Crown requires more of those than actual academics, nor penmanship.   

Crown has the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools accreditation. However, that accreditation is such a throw away. The application is like 2-5 pages and it requires no observation or real study of the programs. Some of the programs in the technical areas are program accredited - cosmetology. I don't know how though. When they showed the instructor teaching when Josie was enrolled, the woman literally read the PowerPoint and had scripted questions she was reading aloud to the students.  Liberty University where Carlin went online does have SACS accreditation. That is much harder to get. Teams of people visit the campus(es), talk to students, professors, and administration. You have notebook after notebook of evidence that you are teaching certain things and that your students are learning and applying those items. You have to show that a certain number are employed in their chosen field after graduation. Every syllabus, every book, every curriculum, etc. is scrutinized. The team comes for a visit that lasts days. They make recommendations and then the school has a few months to implement those before they come back. It is a horrible and nerve-wracking process.  While some can argue that SACS or similar regional accreditation is worthless, I would argue I wouldn't send my kids to a school that didn't have teachers who had graduated from a program that was scrutinized that much. 

Tori and her fellow alum are even truly eligible for alternative certification. While they call her degree a Bachelor degree. It is referred to technically as a Bachelor of Biblical Science by Crown. I don't know of any state license bodies that would recognize it. She would also have to pass both the basic skills PRAXIS and the subject PRAXIS. I'm not thinking Crown prepares them for that. 

It's hardly an issue because most of the women in the program get married during the program or shortly afterward. They are going to raise and education their own children and maybe work in the church nursery on Sunday if their church has one. Maybe they might babysit other children at home before they have too many. I can hear some people in their church thinking that someone with that background would be a good one to watch children. 

Watching the scene on the show, I was confused by some of what she did. 

1. Why have one child sit with his legs straight out and one can sit on his legs? (Carson and Bradley)

2. Why does she give full and fast explanations to Brooklyn? Tell her to place the markers or whatever in the center of the table. Once that is done, she can allow them each to pick one to color with at a time. She sounded very much like Michelle Duggar there. Michelle is always on that home intercom with long winded explanations. 

3. What was the point of watching her color?

4. She missed a big opportunity. When the kids said the Shrinky-Dinks were smaller now, she could have talked about the word shrink. What does it mean to shrink? 

5. She also missed an opportunity when she said she would have to get the picture to see which ones went together. Why not ask the kids to figure out what goes together?

6. The flashcards can be really boring. When I did practicums in Kindergarten and Pre-K, we did an alphabet song each day. But that was the only time we did all the letters. Then we focused on one letter a week. Given that they are all different ages, one letter a week would provide some continuity. Let's say the letter was D. She could take all the kids on a walk outside to hunt for things that start with D. Bradley and Carson could practice writing such words while Brooklyn and Kaci could color picks of things that started with that letter. All of which would be more engaging on camera than flashcards. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Correct. My point is that not all church based or Christian schools would welcome them. Many church based schools do see their own accreditation so their graduates can get into colleges and universities, as well as the school itself can get some funding from grants and whatnot. If the K-12 school has to meet certain standards, they aren't going to invite in teacher candidates from a school like Crown when accreditation boards have standards of who can be in a classroom and who can teach. Secondly, student teachers and teacher candidates have to have liability insurance. Most of us got ours by being student members of professional teaching organizations. Crown students wouldn't be eligible for those types of organizations because you have to be a candidate for licensure in most cases.

Many of the non-accredited programs for children are taught in churches for 2 and 3 year olds (4 years old in states without Pre-K). So let's say there are 5-10 such programs in the Knoxville area. For math we'll say 7. There were probably 20ish women in Tori's graduating class. If each of those seven said they would take a Crown student and had a 2 year old and a 3 year old class, that means there would be 14 spots for the internship. And that is if all seven programs wanted someone. Some might not. Some might be afraid of someone of another denomination coming in, etc. That is part of the reason why Crown would put them in for 2 weeks at a time.  The video on the Crown website shows two young women who say they are seniors. They refer to working with teachers at the "academy" and calling it mission work. They also teach Bible lessons at the Boys and Girls Club. 

The curriculum itself isn't something any regional accreditation board would accept. About 10-13 years ago, teacher education programs were required to have three 3-hour math education courses. There were three 3-hour teaching reading courses required. There were two 3-hour teaching science classes and then two 3-hour teaching social science courses. We had one class on special education, two on preschool, one on classroom management, and one on diversity in the classroom. We never had to take classes on the Bible, which Crown requires more of those than actual academics, nor penmanship.   

Crown has the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools accreditation. However, that accreditation is such a throw away. The application is like 2-5 pages and it requires no observation or real study of the programs. Some of the programs in the technical areas are program accredited - cosmetology. I don't know how though. When they showed the instructor teaching when Josie was enrolled, the woman literally read the PowerPoint and had scripted questions she was reading aloud to the students.  Liberty University where Carlin went online does have SACS accreditation. That is much harder to get. Teams of people visit the campus(es), talk to students, professors, and administration. You have notebook after notebook of evidence that you are teaching certain things and that your students are learning and applying those items. You have to show that a certain number are employed in their chosen field after graduation. Every syllabus, every book, every curriculum, etc. is scrutinized. The team comes for a visit that lasts days. They make recommendations and then the school has a few months to implement those before they come back. It is a horrible and nerve-wracking process.  While some can argue that SACS or similar regional accreditation is worthless, I would argue I wouldn't send my kids to a school that didn't have teachers who had graduated from a program that was scrutinized that much. 

Tori and her fellow alum are even truly eligible for alternative certification. While they call her degree a Bachelor degree. It is referred to technically as a Bachelor of Biblical Science by Crown. I don't know of any state license bodies that would recognize it. She would also have to pass both the basic skills PRAXIS and the subject PRAXIS. I'm not thinking Crown prepares them for that. 

It's hardly an issue because most of the women in the program get married during the program or shortly afterward. They are going to raise and education their own children and maybe work in the church nursery on Sunday if their church has one. Maybe they might babysit other children at home before they have too many. I can hear some people in their church thinking that someone with that background would be a good one to watch children. 

Watching the scene on the show, I was confused by some of what she did. 

1. Why have one child sit with his legs straight out and one can sit on his legs? (Carson and Bradley)

2. Why does she give full and fast explanations to Brooklyn? Tell her to place the markers or whatever in the center of the table. Once that is done, she can allow them each to pick one to color with at a time. She sounded very much like Michelle Duggar there. Michelle is always on that home intercom with long winded explanations. 

3. What was the point of watching her color?

4. She missed a big opportunity. When the kids said the Shrinky-Dinks were smaller now, she could have talked about the word shrink. What does it mean to shrink? 

5. She also missed an opportunity when she said she would have to get the picture to see which ones went together. Why not ask the kids to figure out what goes together?

6. The flashcards can be really boring. When I did practicums in Kindergarten and Pre-K, we did an alphabet song each day. But that was the only time we did all the letters. Then we focused on one letter a week. Given that they are all different ages, one letter a week would provide some continuity. Let's say the letter was D. She could take all the kids on a walk outside to hunt for things that start with D. Bradley and Carson could practice writing such words while Brooklyn and Kaci could color picks of things that started with that letter. All of which would be more engaging on camera than flashcards. 

I agree with all your recommendations, but I would also like to add her tone is just so off with kids.  She's so overly firm and serious that she stifles any fun they may feel.  Why does it matter exactly how the kids sit?  Why do the kids all know brooklyn is the 'bad' one?  For needing a reminder to share colored pencils?  There is a way to set the tone where things get done, but it's not because the kids are fearful, but that they want to do what's right.  None of that was happening.  

For example, with the pencils, she could have explained why Brooklyn needed to put them back or ask her why she wanted all of them.  It's a perfect way to talk about sharing and to reassure Brooklyn that everyone will get a turn with the different colours, there is lots of time for her to wait for everyone to take turns, etc.  If Brooklyn still didn't want to share it gives space to let Brooklyn realize how she would feel if someone else took all the colours.  

• Upvote 6

Seeing Tori "teaching" the little ones was painful to watch, but the Brookie is bad comments broke my heart. I wish she had the opportunity to go to a real preschool, one that would encourage her academically and support her, instead of calling her bad. It sets her up to feel more unworthy than most fundies, even more unworthy than most fundy girls.

Unfortunately it doesn't work in this time of covid-19, but when I was nannying a little boy we did go through and learn the letters, focusing on a new one each week. One of his and my favorite activities was to play search and destroy at his local  grocery store. With each week's letter, we would look for 5 capital and 5 lowercase examples, and I would wander through more aisles than what I would usually go through. Once he found his 10 letters he got two treats. First, we went over and looked at the cakes and cupcakes in the bakery, which they had a fantastic cake decorator at his local grocery, and then we would look at the reduced for clearance sweets and if we happen to find something cheap then we could get it and share it if he had behaved himself. It only happened about once a week or once every couple weeks so there was no guarantee that what we were looking for would be cheap, but it was a great incentive to pay attention and look for your letters and behave yourself. He absolutely loved looking at the fancy decorated cupcakes as well. A bonus for me was that I got my grocery shopping done!

He didn't get the sweet treat every time, and when he didn't he would say,"They didn't have anything that we were looking for. But that's okay we don't have to buy something every time we go to the grocery." I think that was also a good lesson to learn.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 4

Kolter Grey was born yesterday on March 25th.  He weighed 6 pounds 6 ounces.  People Magazine has pictures up.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

Kolter Grey Smith is here!

Tori Bates gave birth to her second child with husband Bobby Smith, a son, on Wednesday, March 25, her rep confirms exclusively to PEOPLE.

Born at 4:17 p.m. in Tennessee, Kolter arrived weighing 6 lbs., 6 oz.

“It feels like such a crazy time in our world right now, but praise the Lord our little Kolter Grey has safely arrived! We are absolutely in love! In spite of all the questions in our minds of how things might unfold, God is so good and we are excitedly anticipating going home to enjoy our time together as a family of four,” the couple says in a statement to PEOPLE.

“Our hearts are with all those who are combating the silent enemy of COVID-19, and we encourage everyone to protect those around them and love each other like never before!” the statement continues. “God Bless, Bobby, Tori, Kade, & Kolter.”

Although Bobby was the only family member allowed to be at the hospital with Tori due to coronavirus, the couple did introduce their new baby boy to multiple loved ones on FaceTime after his arrival.

Also on Wednesday, “Tori’s brothers, Trace and Warden Bates, crashed heads playing basketball the same day, so Trace ended up at the same hospital at the same time with a huge bump on his head!” the rep shares.

Baby Kolter joins 16-month-old big brother Robert Ellis IV, a.k.a. Kade, whom the Bringing Up Bates couple welcomed in November 2018.

Article link: https://people.com/parents/bringing-up-bates-tori-bates-welcomes-son-kolter-exclusive/

How long do we think we're gonna without any pregnant Bates? I'm hoping this is the last grandchild born this year, but alas...

Edited by llg1234
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, llg1234 said:

How long do we think we're gonna without any pregnant Bates? I'm hoping this is the last grandchild born this year, but alas...

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Tori is pregnant again by Christmas. 

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Tori is pregnant again by Christmas. 

My big question is, will Tori do a good enough job flying under the radar that we are still on the same thread when she announces her next pregnancy?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Tori has the same birthday as me. And now one of her sons has my daughter’s birthday! 
stop copying me freaks! lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

I just had a baby- yay! But when Insee this I feel sad for Tori...I’m still in postpartum gown and shuffling around with those huge pads and leaky boobs and cocooned with baby. Can’t imagine a photo shoot magazine spread right now . Ugh! 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 20

3 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I just had a baby- yay! But when Insee this I feel sad for Tori...I’m still in postpartum gown and shuffling around with those huge pads and leaky boobs and cocooned with baby. Can’t imagine a photo shoot magazine spread right now . Ugh! 

Congratulations! My baby is 6 months and I still can’t imagine a photoshoot magazine spread...!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 5

I wonder how Tori feels about having only Bobby around in hospital? Will she choose this set up for her next, did she miss having 20 people around her while labouring/after giving birth, could they opt for more private births (I think that’s what Alyssa does) in the future if that’s what she wants or will they be pressured to the mass engagement again?

• Upvote 13

21 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

My big question is, will Tori do a good enough job flying under the radar that we are still on the same thread when she announces her next pregnancy?

Given that the arrival of baby Kondor got a whopping grand total of 8 new posts, I think it's a safe assumption!

Edited by HideousGreenShirt
Riffles
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 13

Why any Bates understand children normal development? 

Why in 2020 a little kid is labeled as the  bad one in front of the others? And a 2 year old is forced to sit?

The only young fundie that seems to understand (a bit) normal children development is Jessa. Not a perfect mom, but could give lessons to Bates! Jill does her best, also not great, but seems to try.

Bates young moms seem cold or bored as moms. (Not sure about Whitney).

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

On 3/19/2020 at 9:19 AM, just_ordinary said:

Poor Brocklyn. She definitely isn’t her mother’s favourite. So many thoughts that I am not going to say out loud. My heart breaks for her

I share your thoughts. I suspect Erin is not exactly lovely behind closed doors. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Why any Bates understand children normal development? 

Why in 2020 a little kid is labeled as the  bad one in front of the others? And a 2 year old is forced to sit?

The only young fundie that seems to understand (a bit) normal children development is Jessa. Not a perfect mom, but could give lessons to Bates! Jill does her best, also not great, but seems to try.

Bates young moms seem cold or bored as moms. (Not sure about Whitney).

To be fair, I think Carlin seemed more in tune with her little siblings nature than the other ones... No wonder she's regarded as the "fun" one. I hope she's as chill with her daughter because her sisters are way too cold and rigid as mothers.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic