IGNORED

Tori and Bobby Smith Part 5: Had Kade and Pregnant Again

Coconut Flan

Sadly, when I saw Jeremy talking of kids having kids, I thought that beyond himself, all the others have basically been kids at the birth of their first child. And when you factor in emotional maturity, wow, just Wow!

• Upvote 6

I have 6 year old, 5 year old, and 1.5 year old  boys and look and feel like I got dragged by a train most days. Seeing Evil Knievel Tori on IG made me feel like I must be doing something wrong, then I remember I’m old enough to be her sister-mom and feel slightly better about my fatigue. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, onyourwayhome said:

I have 6 year old, 5 year old, and 1.5 year old  boys and look and feel like I got dragged by a train most days. Seeing Evil Knievel Tori on IG made me feel like I must be doing something wrong, then I remember I’m old enough to be her sister-mom and feel slightly better about my fatigue. 

Bless you! Boychildren are ROUGH! Energy for days, a distinct lack of fear, adventurous (to put it mildly), creative, hysterically funny (even though they might not think so), insanely adorable little critters. Food is necessary, clean is optional. My younger boychild is 28 and I'm STILL tired!!! 

Just want to say that boychildren are amazing, fun little creatures who will work your last nerve, seriously think about checking into the home for the bewildered, and will forever be mama's boys. Enjoy them!

• Upvote 9
  • Love 5

On 12/25/2018 at 1:29 AM, singsingsing said:

I'm 30 and I can't tell you how bizarre it is to me to see people who are now over a decade younger than me getting married and having babies!

Same here! Sometimes I'm feeling quite jealous, since I want to have a relationship and start a family so badly. But then again I think of all the freedom I have and feel a lot better.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

Bless you! Boychildren are ROUGH! Energy for days, a distinct lack of fear, adventurous (to put it mildly), creative, hysterically funny (even though they might not think so), insanely adorable little critters. Food is necessary, clean is optional. My younger boychild is 28 and I'm STILL tired!!! 
Just want to say that boychildren are amazing, fun little creatures who will work your last nerve, seriously think about checking into the home for the bewildered, and will forever be mama's boys. Enjoy them!

My girl child is 1000 times more exhausting than my boy child. She is the one who has no fear, never stops moving, and has a wonderful sense of adventure. She is a gorgeous and fearsome thing!
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 13

I actually do envy them for being young mothers. That is what I wanted for myself but the we held off for several years to finish university and get established in jobs. Looking back we very well could have started earlier. If you look at it from a rational point there is never a good time for children. A bottomless money drain that is robbing you sleep for years to come. But now I wish we would have been more brave. Right now the „trend“ goes back to be a bit younger (around 22-25) and many decide to use their time at uni for their first child which really is not a bad idea. You can never drop out so easily, reduce workload or built your own timetable (at least in the arts). You can decide to just don’t visit courses for some time and work more and many universities offer help for their young mothers and fathers. The gift of almost free education (from the beginning) and the structure of how university is set up helps. Paying about 600€ per semester (housing not included obviously, but we do get a ticket for public transport) and giving our students quite some leeway to plan out their courses are huge benefits. 

Back to point. We regret that we weren’t brave enough. I envy them for not being confronted with people hammering about how you should have finished school and be established in a job and even better enjoyed being young (whatever that means anyway) traveled the world and own property. But obviously I wouldn’t want to trade places with them. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I had all boys and none of them were rough, aggressive or difficult, although 13-17 wasn’t a picnic attitude wise. I think kids are both extremes and in between regardless of gender.

When my oldest was about 12 we got him a ramp for his bike. He looked at me and said why did you get me this? Don’t you know I don’t have the extreme gene?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

I had all boys and none of them were rough, aggressive or difficult, although 13-17 wasn’t a picnic attitude wise. I think kids are both extremes and in between regardless of gender.

When my oldest was about 12 we got him a ramp for his bike. He looked at me and said why did you get me this? Don’t you know I don’t have the extreme gene?

I had all boys,too.When my youngest learned to ride a bicycle,he insisted on a helmet and knee pads!LOL.

I took him and my middle son to an amusement park...they had go carts.My middle son loved it,my youngest was terrified.

I think he missed the extreme gene,too.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:33 PM, melon said:

I had all boys,too.When my youngest learned to ride a bicycle,he insisted on a helmet and knee pads!LOL.

I took him and my middle son to an amusement park...they had go carts.My middle son loved it,my youngest was terrified.

I think he missed the extreme gene,too.

my boys got my adrenaline junkie genes. My daughter, not so much. 

#1 boychild and daughter-in-love were here this weekend. It was a fantastic weekend. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

8 hours ago, feministxtian said:

#1 boychild and daughter-in-love were here this weekend. It was a fantastic weekend. 

I'm so glad to hear that! You certainly deserve it!!! 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

My son is super cautious, he'll do amusement park rides and that is about it.  My youngest daughter is my adrenaline junkie. I knew it was going to be bad when she was 2 and took her balance bike to the top of the driveway and went down, into the street (Thank Rufus we lived at the back of a quiet cul de sac) hit the curb of the across the street neighbor, flipped the bike and landed on her head. Then she got up wanting to do it again! She didn't start crying until I took the bike away since she cracked her helmet! She's 9 now and really into tumbling and wants to be a flyer (for cheer). She has no fear. 

• Upvote 11

8 hours ago, heysmilinstrange said:

Jesus, can that kid breathe??

I was curious about that too to be honest. We opted to use the “So simple even sleep deprived parents can do it!” cheater method of swaddling - which meant we only used Halo Sleepsacks and Swaddles. The Velcro made it so easy. :pb_lol:

Can anyone who opted to swaddle with receiving blankets tell us whether he’s wrapped too tight?

8 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I was curious about that too to be honest. We opted to use the “So simple even sleep deprived parents can do it!” cheater method of swaddling - which meant we only used Halo Sleepsacks and Swaddles. The Velcro made it so easy. :pb_lol:

Can anyone who opted to swaddle with receiving blankets tell us whether he’s wrapped too tight?

He looks fine to me.  My first loved to be swaddled tightly like that. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

44 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

He looks fine to me.  My first loved to be swaddled tightly like that. 

Also to continue to play devil's advocate, some swaddling blankets are VERY stretchy, where others don't create quite a tight look. I know with our children, I could get a tight looking swaddle if I used a certain type of swaddle that I had. I also had some basic cotton swaddles, with zero stretch, that never looked tight. So I agree, looks ok to me. Plus his arms are free, which is a good thing.

If I was to be concerned about anything in that picture, it would be the stuffed animal. Sadly, I have heard of too many infants turning into their stuffed animals and not being able to move away, thus suffocating. I can't tell from the picture if he truly has the dexterity to move the animal with his hands. He may be fine, but I was always a bit overcautious with my own kiddos.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

His hands are free. He is fine, from my professional opinion. I’ll bet he likes to be wrapped like that, and that’s why his parents wrap accordingly. This is developmentally appropriate swaddling.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

It's an odd look, with the arms free and everything else swaddled, but it's not too tight.

This is a tight swaddle, and was all the rage not too long ago.  The first time I saw a picture of a baby swaddled like that, it was swaddled so tightly that I thought the poor thing had been born with no arms or legs.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fas2.ftcdn.net%2Fjpg%2F01%2F87%2F03%2F25%2F500_F_187032542_6wtVeRD6fpxgK2FJ81MIjJ7hd1mqufIq.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fstock.adobe.com%2Fca%2Fimages%2Fa-sleepy-newborn-in-a-tight-swaddle%2F187032542&docid=icGVsh2VtRq1_M&tbnid=4Qs_xnFsyt9kfM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjAt7eFl9zfAhXoGDQIHXVBD6UQMwiIASgvMC8..i&w=500&h=334&itg=1&bih=620&biw=1301&q=tight swaddle&ved=0ahUKEwjAt7eFl9zfAhXoGDQIHXVBD6UQMwiIASgvMC8&iact=mrc&uact=8

(Sorry, I can't get the picture to link.)

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

A tight swaddle like the one above was the only thing that worked to calm down my nephew when he would cry.  It took all of about three seconds and he would go from sobs to perfectly calm.  He was a super easy baby, though. He rarely cried and was sleeping through the night by the time he was 3 months old.  Even as a little kid he never napped, but once he went to sleep he was out for at least 8-10 hours. 

• Thank You 1

Thanks everyone! I figured that he was likely fine since no one had really commented on it and he looks like he’s pretty calm in the photo. I said I have no experience with this type of swaddling though, so thanks for indulging my curiosity. :) 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Also to continue to play devil's advocate, some swaddling blankets are VERY stretchy, where others don't create quite a tight look. I know with our children, I could get a tight looking swaddle if I used a certain type of swaddle that I had. I also had some basic cotton swaddles, with zero stretch, that never looked tight. So I agree, looks ok to me. Plus his arms are free, which is a good thing.

If I was to be concerned about anything in that picture, it would be the stuffed animal. Sadly, I have heard of too many infants turning into their stuffed animals and not being able to move away, thus suffocating. I can't tell from the picture if he truly has the dexterity to move the animal with his hands. He may be fine, but I was always a bit overcautious with my own kiddos.

Good point about the stuffed animal.  I have anxiety now thinking about this!  Maybe Tori just used it in the photo.  

Edited by QuiverDance
  • Upvote 2

I think part of the reason the swaddle looks so tight is Kade is a pretty tiny baby, and without his arms included in the swaddle he looks super skinny.

I swaddled my daughter tightly like that when she was colicky for the first couple of months. My giant boy child was Hulking his way out of them from day one, so we didn't get much use from those hand me downs.

And yes, the stuffed animal right in his face gives me anxiety, too. Hopefully it was just placed there for a picture. 

• Upvote 2

So I actually disagree that this is safe. I have swaddled my baby and I am a strong advocate for swaddling. it’s not the tightness around the chest that concerns me, it’s the tightness around his legs/hips and the position that his legs are in (his legs are rather straight out). Swaddling is meant to be tight around the arms and chest with the legs able to freely move so as not to cause injury to the hips. This swaddle is concerning and so is the stuffed animal. I am hoping she removed it after the cute photo

link for. “Hip healthy swaddling”

https://hipdysplasia.org/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip/hip-healthy-swaddling/

Edited by LegHumperBibleThumper
Added link
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic