IGNORED

Baby Name Thread 2

Coconut Flan

It's nearing the time for GrandDuggar #17 to be born so I think I will get my guesses in now.

Amelia Grace, born 10th January  weighing 6lb 6oz, 18 inches.

• Upvote 2

Chloe Victoria Duggar weight 7 lb. 13 oz., born January 15 

Charis Abigail or Kirk Matthew Maxwell (Joe and Elissa) weight 8 lb. 8 oz, born Feb. 1

Timothy Luke or Priscilla Rachel Maxwell (NR Anna and Christopher) weight 9 lb. 2 oz, born Feb. 10

I'm betting that Joy announces next. Although I do think that both Jill and Jinger will announce in 2020. And I'm guessing Aurora Grace Duggar. Born January 15th. Weight 6 lbs 9 oz.. I'm betting on Peter Robert Waller. 

• Upvote 1

Grace Annette Duggar was born on 7th January 2020 weighing 7lb 11oz  and measuring 20.75 inches

Edited by jillsdopplerofdoom
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

I just realized that Annette means "little grace". 

Anna is a diminutive of Anna, which comes from the Hebrew "Channah", meaning "grace". 

Now I like the name less. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 2

If only Abby had used Grace as a middle name instead of a first I would have guessed 4/4 winter Duggar baby middle names right! ?

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1

8 hours ago, jillsdopplerofdoom said:

Grace Annette Duggar was born on 7th January 2020 weighing 7lb 11oz  and measuring 20.75 inches

Many, many posters guessed Grace for a middle name but only @Daisy0322 guessed it as a first name. No one guessed Annette. @singsingsing guessed the correct birth date. @ihaveanexamintwodays is only an ounce off on the weight (guessed 7lbs 12oz) and no one guessed the length, mainly because there was only one guess of 18 inches and I forgot to write down who made that guess anyway ?.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I just realized that Annette means "little grace". 

Anna is a diminutive of Anna, which comes from the Hebrew "Channah", meaning "grace". 

Now I like the name less. 

So basically she is Grace Grace. Moon Moon 

(Since it has been 6 months, I hope it is not too soon (in case it is, let me know and I will remove this part) to point out that Annabell's name is basically Elizabeth Elizabeth. Bell comes from Isabella, which is a form of Elizabeth, and Elise is a short form of Elizabeth.) 

These people need to research their name choices. 

Edited by SorenaJ
  • Upvote 3

Does it really matter if their first and middle names technically go back to the same root? Most people never think about that. Do you really sit there and consider the meanings of the names of everyone you know in your life? If you do, good for you I guess but the vast majority of people don’t. So if someone wants to give their child a first and middle name that look and sound completely different but just happen to ultimately mean the same thing, I think they’re allowed. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 10

55 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Do you really sit there and consider the meanings of the names of everyone you know in your life? If you do, good for you I guess but the vast majority of people don’t. So if someone wants to give their child a first and middle name that look and sound completely different but just happen to ultimately mean the same thing, I think they’re allowed. 

To the bolded: Yes, I do. but also my dream job is name researcher 

To me a name is a part of an identity, so it annoys me when people seem a bit careless with it, when they don't have to. 

• Upvote 6

I have 3 names, two of them coming from the same name. Actually, my 3rd name (Anne) is part of my first name. 

But my first name is after my mom and my third is after my godmother.

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

To the bolded: Yes, I do. but also my dream job is name researcher 

To me a name is a part of an identity, so it annoys me when people seem a bit careless with it, when they don't have to. 

I am the same. I find names and their origins interesting. Names have meaning and I don't understand ignoring that. 

• I Agree 3

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Does it really matter if their first and middle names technically go back to the same root? Most people never think about that. Do you really sit there and consider the meanings of the names of everyone you know in your life? If you do, good for you I guess but the vast majority of people don’t. So if someone wants to give their child a first and middle name that look and sound completely different but just happen to ultimately mean the same thing, I think they’re allowed. 

Sure they're allowed, nobody said they aren't. But there are name nerds who will notice little things like that, and I think they're allowed to mention this on a thread specifically dedicated to guessing and discussing baby names.

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

I am the same. I find names and their origins interesting. Names have meaning and I don't understand ignoring that. 

They can be interesting, but names have the meaning one attaches to them.  It's not like they hardcode ones personality.

My daughter has a traditional first middle name combo that is very common amongst Irish Catholics, and I gave her a nickname which is a variation on her middle name which she's gone by since birth.  

We gave her her formal name after my mother and my then husband's grandmother, who we loved and we're the kindest women we knew.  

According to the baby name books their middle name means "bitter."  But to us the name means an homage to her grandmother and great grandmother.  Yes, we ignored the "meaning" because it's totally irrelevant.  Should we have not used it because it once meant something in an ancient translation of a language neither of us speak?

And her nickname being a variation of her middle name we basically gave her the same name twice...but our mom/grandma both went by the same nickname so we gave her something different we liked.  It isn't pronounced or spelled the same and most people don't even know the names are related.  It would have been silly not to use the names we loved because someone with a baby name book or a browser knew the original meanings back in the day.  Language isn't that stagnant IMO.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
first and middle aren't the same
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

The actor Sean Astin has daughters named Elizabeth and Isabella. Variations of the same name. (I know this because I can't watch any show or movie without winding up on most of the actors' Wikipedia pages)

This would be a different type of naming theme for a Fundie couple. For example, they could pick one name for each sex and have boys named John, Juan, Ivan, Johann, Giovanni and girls named Catherine, Katarina, Katrine, Kitty, Kate...

Oh, wait. The Duggar kind of already did this with some of their J names.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

Sure they're allowed, nobody said they aren't. But there are name nerds who will notice little things like that, and I think they're allowed to mention this on a thread specifically dedicated to guessing and discussing baby names.

Yes. You’re allowed. And others are allowed to offer differing opinions. Imagine that! Not everyone has to agree!

2 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

(I know this because I can't watch any show or movie without winding up on most of the actors' Wikipedia pages)

Are you me lol? I then try to share my findings with my fiance but he thinks its boring 

Edited by MamaMia02
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic