IGNORED

Baby Name Thread 2

Coconut Flan

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Are you sure it's not Henry "Harry" Potter, like his given name was Henry but he went by Harry? Because that would make a lot more sense. Henry and Harry are way too close imo, they are really the same name.

I've always heard Hank as the nick for Henry and Harry is short for Harrold.  But I could be wrong.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Are you sure it's not Henry "Harry" Potter, like his given name was Henry but he went by Harry? Because that would make a lot more sense. Henry and Harry are way too close imo, they are really the same name.

Yeah the wiki says "also known as Harry" so we don't know his middle name. He was also Harry's grant-grandfather, not just Jame's father. His father's name was Euphemia. Which by the way is still a better middle name than Severus.

• Upvote 2

Harry is a VERY old and traditional English nickname for Henry, to the point that a lot of the King Henrys were also known as Harry. It was almost interchangeable. It can definitely be a nickname for Harold as well, though.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

10 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Harry is a VERY old and traditional English nickname for Henry, to the point that a lot of the King Henrys were also known as Harry. It was almost interchangeable. It can definitely be a nickname for Harold as well, though.

I learn so many interesting things here!

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Kailash said:

I’m sure I’m overly optimistic but I think:

Anna- 6

Jill-3

Jessa-3

Jinger- 2

Lauren- 0

Abbie- 2

Joy- 2

Kendra- 4 

Just curious, why 0 for Lauren?

• Upvote 2

My great-great-uncle's given name was Harry. Not Henry. :) 

edit:  all the Harolds I know who go by a nickname, go by Hal.

Edited by SapphireSlytherin

48 minutes ago, viii said:

Yeah, and my friend named her son Charlie and not Charles. Sometimes people prefer the nickname over the actual name. 

I’ve found this to be more common for girls than boys in the US. You’ll see this a lot in the Bates family for example. I think part of that is southern influence. Example: Katie, Josie, Allie, Lexi, Ellie.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve found this to be more common for girls than boys in the US. You’ll see this a lot in the Bates family for example. I think part of that is southern influence. Example: Katie, Josie, Allie, Lexi, Ellie.

I knew a Tommy and he was from Tennessee or Alabama - I don't remember which.  Not Thomas or Tom, but Tommy was his legal name.  Takes all kinds.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I knew a Tommy and he was from Tennessee or Alabama - I don't remember which.  Not Thomas or Tom, but Tommy was his legal name.  Takes all kinds.

I think it used to be more common for baby boys to be named common nick names years ago. If I look at the SSA baby name site, I will see Tommy, Johnny, Donny etc more commonly used 30/40/50/60 years ago. I have a family member who will get annoyed if you assume her full name is Cynthia. Nope, it’s just Cindy. If I look at the common boy names these days, you don’t see a lot of nick names as full names. Except Liam. It’s short for William but a lot of people use it as a stand alone name. 

• Upvote 2

I understand why some parents chose the nickname over the name, but at the same time I think you have to weigh the name and see how embarrassing it is. Cindy and Liam are perfectly acceptable for professional adults, I wouldn't think twice about their names. However, if a grown adult is Tommy or Pammy, then it just seems unfair to take away that choice. 

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, viii said:

I understand why some parents chose the nickname over the name, but at the same time I think you have to weigh the name and see how embarrassing it is. Cindy and Liam are perfectly acceptable for professional adults, I wouldn't think twice about their names. However, if a grown adult is Tommy or Pammy, then it just seems unfair to take away that choice. 

I was just looking at the SSA site and I knew it had become less popular for baby boys to be named nick names, but I didn’t know how unpopular it had become. If you look at the decades, the 1950s and 1960s has a lot of nicknames as names for both sexes. Ricky, Tommy, Billy, Cathy, Betty and lots more. But looking at the top 100 for this decade, there are so few nicknames as names for boys. It’s pretty striking. 

• Thank You 1

Maybe Ricky, Tommy, Billy, Cathy, and Betty are having children now and refuse to put their kids through what they've gone through, ha. 

• Haha 4

On 11/10/2018 at 3:22 PM, singsingsing said:

One of them should totally do a number theme, but like names that mean numbers. "These are our children: Una, Secundus, Trinity, Quarter, Quintus, Sextus, September, Octavia, Nona, Dixie...."

Like in Stardust? :D I love that book and the movie!

I'm not longer predicting, I've been wrong for too long! I'll just keep the names! Let me know when someone is pregnant!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Just curious, why 0 for Lauren?

No actual reason. It just wouldn’t surprise me if at least one couple didn’t have any kids. I’m most likely wrong but it’s just a guess. 

• Upvote 2

I predict the Duggars will announce in this order: Jessa, Lauren, Kendra, Abbie, Anna, Joy, Jill, and finally Jinger, with Jessa and Lauren being due close to each other and Kendra-Jill also being due close to each other. I also think Jinger won’t be announcing until Felicity’s birthday at the earliest.

My Number Predictions:

~Anna: 9 (I think her pace will start to slow down during her 30s).

~Abbie: 6 (I see a large family for JD and Abbie, but with the later start they won’t break double digits at all).

~Jill: 3 or 4 at most (Jill is too reckless with her pregnancies, especially labor. It’s already taking a toll on her body and she will probably need C-sections from here on out).

~Jessa: 8 (Before this year, I would have said double-digits for sure, but with the spacing between Henry and Seewald #3, it’s harder to predict. She’s managed much better with her pregnancies and labor than Jill though, so I think the Seewalds will ultimately have however many children they want to have).

~Jinger: 4 (To keep up appearances of course! I also can see the kids coming every two years or so).

~Kendra: 12 (Like the other Duggar Daughter-in-Laws, she is from a large family, but I think she’ll outdo both Anna and Lauren for the simple fact that JoKen has a much stronger relationship than the other two couples. Joe is in a similar league as JD to me, but they are getting an earlier start).

~Lauren: 5 (I am one of the SiRen skeptics, and I think this will limit the size of their brood).

~Joy: 8? (I think we need to see how the next birth goes first as she could have a better delivery next time or go the way of Jill).

Thanksgiving and Christmas tend to be fairly popular times for announcements. Holiday cheer and families gathered together and all that. I'd be surprised if there weren't at least one or two special Duggar announcements before the end of 2018.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

20 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

~Lauren: 5 (I am one of the SiRen skeptics, and I think this will limit the size of their brood).

Isn't it funny that in Duggarland 5 kids are limiting family size (and it totally is) where in most people's reality it's like, "Five?  Holy crap that's a lot of kids!"  These days, anyway.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

Anna - 8. It would be fewer if Josh had a say but he doesn’t anymore. She seems to cope well with young kids, has easy births and loves being a mom so I can see 3 more. 

Abbie - 4. A good number but not extreme.

Jill - 3 if next one is a girl, 4 if not. Could be a big spacing after Sam in the name of Derrick’s schooling. He’ll have a lot of “headaches” before exams, assignments are due etc.

Jessa - 5. The next 3 will come in quick succession after each other and then she will stop and go full on Mom blogging. 

Jinger - 4. A respectable number for a pastor. Absolutely no more than that - I could sooner see 3 than 5.

Joy - 5. I don’t think that Austin is into having an enormous family at all, and her c-section will have an impact. But she’s yoUnf enough to pop out a good number.

Kendra - 8. Fertile, young, supportive husband, easy pregnancy and birth and good prenatal care. A positive and happy person, she’ll be able to fool herself for longer that her life is awesome.

Lauren - 4. I don’t know why but I don’t get the sense she’ll have a ton.

• Upvote 1

On 11/11/2018 at 8:52 PM, Kailash said:

No actual reason. It just wouldn’t surprise me if at least one couple didn’t have any kids. I’m most likely wrong but it’s just a guess. 

Did they mention Lauren having health problems or am I having a sleep deprived moment?

1 hour ago, Daisy0322 said:

Did they mention Lauren having health problems or am I having a sleep deprived moment?

The only health related thing with Lauren that I remember them mentioning was that she has a gluten intolerance. 

• I Agree 2

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

The only health related thing with Lauren that I remember them mentioning was that she has a gluten intolerance. 

That's probably it for some reason I was thinking she had an autoimmune type illness. But I don't watch the show often abdvuve not slept in a few years lol

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

That's probably it for some reason I was thinking she had an autoimmune type illness. But I don't watch the show often abdvuve not slept in a few years lol

I think celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder, but gluten intolerance usually isn't a major health issue. I could have missed something else, though!

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic