IGNORED

The Seven Sisters Continue Progressing

deborahlynn1979

4 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Ah ok. I'm not familiar with how airlines do this-- so they could assign her to any of their airports?

I believe so, but not 100% sure. Their hubs are: Chicago O'Hare, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Phoenix, Portland, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Seattle

Here is more about their careers  - https://www.skywest.com/skywest-airline-jobs/career-guides/pilot-jobs/ looks like Jessica might qualify for $7500 bonus. 

They even have a pilot pathway program (Tim Rodrigues, hint, hint, but sadly I doubt he would qualify) https://www.skywest.com/skywest-airline-jobs/career-guides/pilot-pathway-program#! 

• Thank You 4

The way Jessica decided on what she wanted to do and then has just gone for it is really inspiring. And brave! I could do with some of her courage myself :D 

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

This part stood out to me:

"I’m not saying you should sit on your couch and expect people to call you on the phone offering to pay for everything  You must move in the direction you want to go, expecting to meet the resources and opportunities on your way."

She's definitely gotten to the point she's at now with a little help from her friends, but whereas some of the families we follow here (Bates, Rodriguez) would just say "God answered our prayers!" She understands that this stuff doesn't just happen unless you go out and build a network, build trust, and know when the time is right to ask for a favor. And I'm sure she will gladly repay each of those favors when she's able.

• Upvote 26

4 hours ago, VVV said:

Here's the blog post for those who are interested. It's a wonderful read. http://sevenfarmgirlsisters.com/skywest-airlines-here-i-come/

I love how professionally she is dressed for her SkyWest interview. That's modesty done right.

I love the fact that her interview suit is totally modern, and she individualized it by wearing her head covering. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

What do airline pilot uniforms normally look like? I’m sure she wouldn’t have a problem wearing pants with her uniform if it means she will have a job she loves. I’ve never actually seen her in pants though.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What do airline pilot uniforms normally look like? I’m sure she wouldn’t have a problem wearing pants with her uniform if it means she will have a job she loves. I’ve never actually seen her in pants though.

When she went to her first women in aviation conference a couple of years ago she went round talking to pilots about careers and said (on the blog) that she asked about being skirts-only as a pilot. Her views on the subject may have evolved since then, of course.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I'm sure that most companies would not have a problem if a woman pilot chose a skirt over pants. As long as it is neat and professional I think they would be fine with it. I doubt she will run into issues if she chooses a skirt. 

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, browngrl said:

I'm sure that most companies would not have a problem if a woman pilot chose a skirt over pants. As long as it is neat and professional I think they would be fine with it. I doubt she will run into issues if she chooses a skirt. 

What’s crazy is that a lot of the flight attendants wear skirts. So she would likely have to wear a flight attendant skirt with her pilot uniform. Airline jobs are so gendered. Most pilots are male and most flight attendants are female. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What’s crazy is that a lot of the flight attendants wear skirts. So she would likely have to wear a flight attendant skirt with her pilot uniform. Airline jobs are so gendered. Most pilots are male and most flight attendants are female. 

One anecdote:

When I was a medical student I walked into the operating room on my first day in surgery. I scrubbed up then looked for the nurse to help me into my OR gown (you need help gowning up so you can stay sterile). I saw a young looking woman in the dress that many nurses used to wear back in the day. So I walked up to her and said " could you please help me into my gown". I could see the anger rising in her face and I was not sure what I'd done wrong when my resident jumped in between the two of us and said "she's just a medical student and she did not know better, blame me for not teaching her". Turns out the woman I'd turned to was the cardiothoracic surgeon and she always wore the nurse's dress because she preffered dresses but she HATED not being recognized at the lead surgeon. She was one of the first to graduate from the cardiothoracic program at that centre and she'd had to put up with so much misogyny she was REALLY sensitive about it. 

Edited by browngrl
autocorrect is incorrect
  • Upvote 13
  • Haha 1

@browngrl did she have a religious obligation to wear dresses? I personally would say that if you wish to be recognized for your job title, you should avoid wearing the uniform of a different profession. 

This is why I think that the highly idiosyncratic, frumpers-and-doilies modesty is so limiting; if it were simply about coverage or something, you could add a scarf or an undershirt to just about any outfit. The long calico dresses instead prevent them from dressing appropriately for the situation and looking like modern professionals. I'm glad the sisters are moving away from them.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

6 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

@browngrl did she have a religious obligation to wear dresses? I personally would say that if you wish to be recognized for your job title, you should avoid wearing the uniform of a different profession. 

This is why I think that the highly idiosyncratic, frumpers-and-doilies modesty is so limiting; if it were simply about coverage or something, you could add a scarf or an undershirt to just about any outfit. The long calico dresses instead prevent them from dressing appropriately for the situation and looking like modern professionals. I'm glad the sisters are moving away from them.

I agree. When I worked in a professional environment, I had to wear clothing I was not terribly comfortable in. But I had to dress a certain way if I wanted to keep my job. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

did she have a religious obligation to wear dresses?

Not at all. She just loved dresses and to be fair the dresses were not designated for nurses. Men had traditionally been the surgeons so they chose pants and women had traditionally been the nurses so many chose dresses (for whatever reason). I called them "nurses dresses" really just because that was who traditionally wore dresses. 

Edited by browngrl
more to say
  • Thank You 3

• 4 weeks later...

I am glad she’s feeling better but I feel so bad for her. She’s worked her ass off to become a midwife and now she has to push her graduation date back. Meningitis sounds absolutely horrible. 

5E3BD983-9FEC-4BD5-B710-D76A3B6947F6.jpeg

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7

@JermajestyDuggar, thanks for sharing this! It shows how an intelligent, sensible, hardworking person deals with a major setback. Kudos to her for sharing her experiences with depression and getting it treated.

• Upvote 7

On 9/25/2019 at 2:07 AM, browngrl said:

One anecdote:

When I was a medical student I walked into the operating room on my first day in surgery. I scrubbed up then looked for the nurse to help me into my OR gown (you need help gowning up so you can stay sterile). I saw a young looking woman in the dress that many nurses used to wear back in the day. So I walked up to her and said " could you please help me into my gown". I could see the anger rising in her face and I was not sure what I'd done wrong when my resident jumped in between the two of us and said "she's just a medical student and she did not know better, blame me for not teaching her". Turns out the woman I'd turned to was the cardiothoracic surgeon and she always wore the nurse's dress because she preffered dresses but she HATED not being recognized at the lead surgeon. She was one of the first to graduate from the cardiothoracic program at that centre and she'd had to put up with so much misogyny she was REALLY sensitive about it. 

I'm an ex-OB and now critical care doctor, so very familiar with surgery/gowning/theatres (and Rufus knows I've been called nurse more times than I could begin to count...nothing like doing someone's emergency surgery and getting asked when the doctor will be in) - do only nurses help doctors with gowns where you are? I've read this a few times and I'm curious! It's generally the scout nurse where I am but whoever is closest will do it, especially if they scout nurse is busy. I can think of one or two doctors I've worked with who would sniff and think they were too good to do someone's gown up, but they're generally insufferable people with a God complex.  I've definitely done up medical students' gowns plenty of times when I'm the surgeon in theatre because I'm about to go scrub, am the closest person and can (hopefully, hah!) tie things together.

• Upvote 6

I don't think skirts will be a problem for Jessica. She may be allowed to get a custom skirt made that matches the pants worn by her coworkers (at her experience). Or, Skywest may have a skirt option. A skirt in her position will not impact her ability to do her work. 

Edited by DarkAnts
  • Upvote 3

The Richardson sisters seem to be way more adaptable than most unmarried fundie adult women. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was ok with wearing pants for work only. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, jozina said:

do only nurses help doctors with gowns where you are?

This all happened about 30 years ago so lots has changed since then

• Thank You 1

• 2 months later...

@TheJewAmongUs just posted in the Unmarrieds thread that Susannah's boyfriend is a convicted sex offender.

Unfortunately a simple Google search confirms this, see here. And yes, I'm sure, because she has linked him as "in a relationship with" on her Facebook and it is clearly the same person. 

I'm shocked and disgusted and somehow still surprised that this shit keeps happening.

• WTF 5
  • Thank You 4

I really hope they end up breaking up. Anna didn’t marry her first boyfriend. Let’s hope Susannah will be the same. She’s always seemed like a smart down to earth person. 

• I Agree 7

This is the current range of possibilities for a child solicitation conviction in Indiana. He is 28 and was charged in 2011.

CHILD SOLICITATION: IC 35-42-4-6

Definition: solicit means to “command, authorize, urge, incite, request, or advise an individual: (1) in person, (2) by telephone, (3) in writing, (4) by using a computer network, (5) by advertisement of any kind; or, (5) by any other means; to perform an act” of sexual intercourse, deviate sexual conduct, and/or sexual fondling/touching.  The State need not prove the solicitation was immediate — it can be for some time in the future.

Children Under Fourteen, Defendant Eighteen or Older:

Level 5-Felony: a person who is at least eighteen (18) who knowingly or intentionally solicits a child under fourteen (14).

Level 4-Felony: same as above, but with a computer through a network

Level 4-Felony: same as above, but with a prior conviction for using this offense using a computer and network.

Children Between Fourteen and Sixteen, Defendant Twenty-One or Older:

Level 5-Felony: a person who is at least twenty-one (21) who knowingly or intentionally solicits a child at least fourteen (14) but less than sixteen (16).

Level 4-Felony: same as above, but with a computer through a network

Level 4-Felony: same as above, but with a prior conviction for using this offense using a computer and network.

• Disgust 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1

He was 21 when he was required to register. Even now at 28 a large number of his Facebook friends are 19-20 year old girls. I know that the youngest sister is over 18 now, and this is just speculation, but who knows if the younger two would reject and report him if he tried anything with them. The positive posts on the relationship change were gross. His name is right there people, use Google.

20 minutes ago, TheJewAmongUs said:

He was 21 when he was required to register. Even now at 28 a large number of his Facebook friends are 19-20 year old girls. I know that the youngest sister is over 18 now, and this is just speculation, but who knows if the younger two would reject and report him if he tried anything with them. The positive posts on the relationship change were gross. His name is right there people, use Google.

Most of us aren't inclined to speculate on potential victim identity. Even if they're grown now, they were minors at the time.

It's good to post specifics on the terms of what the convictions are, in my opinion

Fundie/evangelical/purity culture overwhelmingly lends itself to fucked up beliefs about sex. Abuse is pervasive.

Government rules vary from state to state. On the off chance that his conviction could encompass one of those grey areas - Like an 18 year old sleeping with 15 year old and family freaks out. Guy ends up registering.

(Please don't jump on that. It's not ideal. Making a point.)

I'm not inclined to see much grey area in a conviction on this law as written. That's enough for me. She has good parents and sisters who won't (one hopes) encourage such a schlub.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
Forgot that it is a rule not to identify or speculate the minor victims of abuse
  • Upvote 3