IGNORED

The Seven Sisters Continue Progressing

deborahlynn1979

52 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Thank you. If she wants to be a teacher, she should try and at least be a parapro! Just my opinion... :D

Anyone else find it ironic when home-schooled people now work in public schools or when the formally home-schooled kid wants to become a teacher? I would love to talk to one and have them talk about why they want to do it differently and why they don't want to homeschool, etc. 

I don't think it is ironic though I do think it is a often a direct reaction to their own experiences. The vast majority of them did not choose to be home-schooled, after all; that was their parents' choice for them. It would be ironic if it was those parents pushing their child to become a public school teacher but that never seems to be the case.

Homeschoolers Anonymous has posts and comments on other posts from former homeschoolers about educating their own children; some send their kids to public school, some home-school. I agree it is an interesting discussion.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

The timing  was not unfortunate, no one on this thread as talked about the hand sign in this thread since October. That was 6 months ago. Then some asshat brings it up out of the blue within a day or two of the attack in New Zealand. Before all of the victims were properly identified, before they could have a proper funeral (Muslim berrials need to happen within 24 hours of death). It was intentional. It was there to minimize the fact that the killers motives were based on skin color, homeland, and religion.

I am 99% sure you are mistaken.

I didn't see anything in the poster's history to indicate that she is an asshat or white supremacist. And, as I said, there were others who were unsure of the meaning of the hand position, even on the thread about the attack.

Maybe it was Pollyanna-ish of me to want those of us who are against white supremacist assholes to stick together, be peaceful, and give one another a chance to explain our thinking. But I admit that, beyond that, your exchange with anachronistic is none of my business. So I guess I'll stop trying to explain.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

I am 99% sure you are mistaken.

I didn't see anything in the poster's history to indicate that she is an asshat or white supremacist. And, as I said, there were others who were unsure of the meaning of the hand position, even on the thread about the attack.

Maybe it was Pollyanna-ish of me to want those of us who are against white supremacist assholes to stick together, be peaceful, and give one another a chance to explain our thinking. But I admit that, beyond that, your exchange with anachronistic is none of my business. So I guess I'll stop trying to explain.

I would have overlooked it if it was posted any other time. It was posted too soon after the attack. 

• Bless Your Heart 1

6 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

The last part of her post is about going back to Guatemala to spend her birthday "with my man!".  How long have they been dating now? I wonder what he does for a living. He seems very urban, heck Anna doesn't even look like one of the farm girls in pictures! So any guesses on her getting married and if she will move down there or he up to the US?  

She's with a different guy now so I guess that relationship didn't work out. Kudos to her for not rushing into a marriage that would have been wrong for both of them. It's easy to fall in love at 18 but rare to find the right lifelong partner at that age. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

19 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

She's with a different guy now so I guess that relationship didn't work out. Kudos to her for not rushing into a marriage that would have been wrong for both of them. It's easy to fall in love at 18 but rare to find the right lifelong partner at that age. 

I totally missed that she is with a new guy. Ah, I see it is on her f/b page. So this gentleman appears to be from Indiana and now she works at Aldi.  Jessica also has f/b and Anna's BF is friends with her. I would say, in looks and PDA, Anna has gone far from the plain attire. I hope she (and her sisters) are happy. 

Thanks for the info about the new man. :)

• Upvote 3

On 3/14/2019 at 7:30 PM, DarkAnts said:

I am sure the seven sisters had a way better homeschool education. They also love to read and are eloquent writers. They have also been allowed to explore their interests since they were young. They have been moving forward in life since before they were stay ah home daughters. They continue to do that.

Jill did not have these opportunities. She is now at a place in life where she could do it. But she refuses to move forward. She is stuck and I don’t think has the ambition to get unstuck. 

I'm not sure Jill refuses to move forward. I don't think she understands in the slightest. She doesn't know that there are htings she doesn't know. That makes her uneducated and dangerous. All the critical thinking/questioning skills have been beaten out of her.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

. The last part of her post is about going back to Guatemala to spend her birthday "with my man!".  How long have they been dating now? I wonder what he does for a living. He seems very urban, heck Anna doesn't even look like one of the farm girls in pictures! So any guesses on her getting married and if she will move down there or he up to the US?  

It appears that they quietly broke up since that post was written. She's now dating a guy from her hometown.

9 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Anyone else find it ironic when home-schooled people now work in public schools or when the formally home-schooled kid wants to become a teacher? I would love to talk to one and have them talk about why they want to do it differently and why they don't want to homeschool, etc

A good friend of mine was homeschooled k-12 and is now a teacher. He was never that invested in his parents beliefs and went to a public university, so he's coming at it from a very different position than someone like Anna. He says that it was kind of intimidating but it was nice to go into it with few preconceived notions of how a classroom should work. He seems very interested in new teaching theories so I guess that makes sense.

• Upvote 7

• 4 months later...

I follow 2 of the 7 sisters on Instagram but can’t think of their last name. I’m impressed that so many of them have moved away from the dressing alike phase ( a pretty long phase) and have so many different interests. I really like Jessica and love that she is a pilot. She is one that still dresses extremely conservative and I just can’t figure out with so many great seamstresses in that family, why she is always wearing 1 of 2 turquoise dresses in nearly every pic.  She seems to enjoy her job and life. 

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

I follow 2 of the 7 sisters on Instagram but can’t think of their last name. I’m impressed that so many of them have moved away from the dressing alike phase ( a pretty long phase) and have so many different interests. I really like Jessica and love that she is a pilot. She is one that still dresses extremely conservative and I just can’t figure out with so many great seamstresses in that family, why she is always wearing 1 of 2 turquoise dresses in nearly every pic.  She seems to enjoy her job and life. 

I think those are her “good dresses.” Have you seen her flight themed dress? It’s really cute. She always wears it to the women in flight conferences. 

The oldest two still dress the old way. The three middle dress mainstream. And the youngest two dress modern modest. The youngest of the seven just graduated from homeschool. 

• Upvote 7

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think those are her “good dresses.” Have you seen her flight themed dress? It’s really cute. She always wears it to the women in flight conferences. 

The oldest two still dress the old way. The three middle dress mainstream. And the youngest two dress modern modest. The youngest of the seven just graduated from homeschool. 

I have seen a few recent photos of them all /most of them and love how they are free to dress how they like and all seem to accept each other. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Odd1Out said:

I have seen a few recent photos of them all /most of them and love how they are free to dress how they like and all seem to accept each other. 

I wish more fundie daughters were like them. They focus on their interests and jobs instead of getting married. It seems like even the “fundie lite” young women are so focused on getting married. As if it’s the end all be all of their lives. I think if Sarah Maxwell. Who is only a few years older than Jessica. Their lives are so different. Jessica has a career. She has so many friends outside her family. And Sarah gets a shitty birthday message about how she isn’t married with kids. As if that’s the only thing she should strive for. It’s just sad as hell.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

I can't get over their new pictures and how happy their family looks - and they all have different styles, interests, fulfilled lives in general and seem to be there for each other through the differences, being a support system for one another. Seems their parents allowed them more freedoms than I thought to be so a few years ago. I am really impressed with how far they've come. They've always been my favorite fundie family and I felt a genuine love and connection between them, the girls are doing so good with their lives and it brings a huge smile to my face too.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I know they used to be friends with the Dixon’s when they were in their fundie phase (Jacque, Jocelyn etc) years ago. I wonder if they still remain friends. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Odd1Out said:

I know they used to be friends with the Dixon’s when they were in their fundie phase (Jacque, Jocelyn etc) years ago. I wonder if they still remain friends. 

I very much doubt it. I think the Richardson’s are friends with lots of different people so it would not be them to drop the friendship. I can easily imagine the Dixon’s dropping the friendship completely. 

• Upvote 2

I love the updates from the seven sisters, too. Skinny jeans, capri pants, unsheltering, getting formal education in a field that you love, and sharing a table with friends, some of whom are drinking adult beverages! Also, is that a statue of a naked-ish man? Yet, their faith doesn't seem to have suffered one bit. Take that, fundie snowflakes who are terrified to mix with the outside world! If your faith is solid, it's unshakeable. If it isn't, you're doing Christianity wrong.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Please: How are they named on Instagram? Thank you in advance! 

Jolly.jessica

ambo_driver

suzyq.joy

_charissa.rose

anna_christina97

_leahdaisy

• Thank You 3

I was homeschooled P-12 and wanted to be a teacher.  My grandmother and mother were very discouraging, especially my grandmother who had been a teacher and had never agreed with the concept of homeschooling.  My grandmother constantly said I couldn't teach and other nonsense whenever we talked, which was frequent.  When I confronted her, she said she "had to be mean because it is different from homeschooling", like the classes on teaching don't exist or something and like I had said it isn't different.  I hadn't.

I was an assistant teacher for a while, didn't like it, and my grandmother has dementia and I have no communication with her.  My communication with my mother is texting on a minimal basis and is only to keep her from launching a missing person's investigation to find me.

Why I wanted to be a teacher?  I needed money to be independent and I like kids.  Family that was nearby while I was growing up worked in public schools and I'd even helped my grandmother in my childhood after she transitioned to school librarian, so I don't know why she thought I was so clueless.

Edited by raspberrymint
Why I wanted to be a teacher
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 3/18/2019 at 8:37 AM, quiversR4hunting said:

Anyone else find it ironic when home-schooled people now work in public schools or when the formally home-schooled kid wants to become a teacher? I would love to talk to one and have them talk about why they want to do it differently and why they don't want to homeschool, etc. 

For the most part, no. Your personal education choices are not at all the same thing as your career. You try to find the best fit possible for your kids' education, and you try to find the best fit possible for your career, and those are two totally separate things. 

People who were public schooled often send their kids to private school and vice versa. People who teach in public schools often send their kids to private school. Hopefully, each person is making a decision based on their own circumstances and the particular kids they have. 

Very few homeschoolers actually think that homeschooling is the best choice for all people, all the time. Like many things, there's a very vocal minority that can skew perception, but for most people it's just the choice that is best for them at the time. 

Edited to add: as far as why they want to do it differently, keep in mind that wanting to be a teacher for your career does not at all mean that you don't want or intend to homeschool; again, that's a separate decision. I know families where one parent is a teacher but they still homeschool  (sometimes one parent stays home to homeschool and the other one is the school teacher, sometimes the school teacher parent takes a break from their career just like people do in other professions). 

Edited by katilac
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

• 1 month later...

The sisters have a new blogpost up, written by Jessica this time. She's going to be a pilot for SkyWest Airlines! 
She also posted about it on instagram. I'm really happy for her. She mentions that she got into a mentoring program via the Ninety-Nines (women in aviation), called Professional Pilot Leadership Initiative, where women pilots coach/mentor other women who are just starting out in their piloting career. 
I'm really happy she got the chance to pursue her dreams of becoming a pilot, instead of being miserable and stuck at home as a SAHD.

• Upvote 15
  • Love 7

Wow! The post about flying made me smile reading it, she is so clearly about to do something she really enjoys and especially the picture towards the end where she is flying looks just the image of happy and contented. 

• Upvote 5

@Marly Thank you for alerting us to the update! Looking at Jessica's picture of her flight notes at the coffee shop makes me think Tim Rod will not make it. (I'll post more about that over in the JRod thread)

The parents of these young ladies should teach fundie parents how to fundie. These parents get it, their children have their own agency and you love them no matter what. 

Here is the picture the family took in August

7sis.jpeg.604afdef0238ad24a2a81945dcd8b03c.jpeg

• Upvote 12
  • Love 6

12 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I'm so happy for her! I wonder if she's going to live in Chicago?

Well she is hoping for Detroit or Chicago. I doubt she will know until after her schooling is done with the airline in Salt Lake City on where her home base will be. If it is in Chicago, she could live at home and have a small apartment in Chicago. I know a pilot that has a family home 3 hours away from the assigned airport but he has a small apartment near the airport when he is on duty.

I love the fact that she is respected enough that her instructor helped hook her up with Jim & Kim and she was able to do a ton of flying including learning international rules. This will become important with SkyWest and being stationed in Chicago or Detroit, both have frequent short flights over into Canada. It makes her more marketable within SkyWest. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2

38 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Well she is hoping for Detroit or Chicago. I doubt she will know until after her schooling is done with the airline in Salt Lake City on where her home base will be

Ah ok. I'm not familiar with how airlines do this-- so they could assign her to any of their airports?

• Upvote 1