IGNORED

The Seven Sisters Continue Progressing

deborahlynn1979

So, the Seven Sisters posted a new blog, the first in FOREVER.

Look at Anna. LOOK AT HER. She's got a boyfriend, and is wearing shorts and a tank top. My GOD. 

Look at Cassia. LOOK AT HER. No frumpy clothes! She's living on her own!

Look at Sussanah. LOOK AT HER. 

OH MY GOD!

• Upvote 18
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 6

The sisters have been changing for a few years now. It was discussed in another thread within the last few months. Jessica, Susannah and Cassia started their further education (flying, midwifery and EMT) a few years ago and it turned out that several sisters had already been working outside the home for a while at that point. While some now wear modern clothing, I think others (particularly Leah) still wear frumpers. I think of all the fundie STAHDs we follow on FJ, the seven sisters are the ones who most genuinely chose/choose to dress the way they did/do.

i have a soft spot for them and am pleased they've updated their blog. I hope they don't leave it so long until their next update!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

It’s been slowly changing for awhile now. They are on Instagram and they seem to be slowly been changing their clothing, hair, and makeup. The only one who hasn’t changed much is Leah. She seems to like the frumpers a lot. 

• Upvote 1

Lots of fundies talk about how they/their kids have a choice in how they dress and live their lives, and that no judgment will be passed if one of them chooses a different path, but the Richardsons are the only fundie family I can name that really mean it. Yes, they're my pet fundies, but I have really enjoyed seeing the girls (women!) get out into the world and make their own destinies. They all seem like such hard workers and go-getters, educated and capable enough to provide for themselves. It's nice to finally see some fundie kids that will be just fine.

Edited by 16strong
Typo
  • Upvote 21
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 2

Glad you posted this! I've been checking back on their blog for quite some time and wondered if they'd ever be back. 

They just seem like such a nice, likeable bunch of siblings. And by not forcing a certain way of dress on the girls, they've been allowed to develop their own taste. 

The sister who is becoming a midwife, I assume is something like a certified nurse midwife and not a certified professional midwife, given the years of college she's attended?

• Upvote 3

I think they always were more outward-facing and socially capable than some FJers gave them credit for, to be honest, even when they all held their old beliefs regarding modesty, headcovering, purity etc. They always seemed to have friends outside the family, were involved in secular local activities, managed their own money etc., even when it was clear that they had some family enmeshment going on. I always had more hope for them than I did/do for large families such as the Arndts.

I'm rambling now. Basically, I was pleased but not completely surprised when some of them started to branch out, take further/higher accredited studies, and dress more modern modest.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

If all fundies were like the Richardson’s, I wouldn’t have too many issues with them. Because they aren’t SAHDs. As a female I’ve always HATED the SAHD garbage. It disgusts me in so many ways. I’m so glad the Richardson’s don’t do that. Their daughters can go to college, get jobs (in male dominated fields no less), travel alone, have boyfriends, dress mainstream, and not be pressured into young marriage. I am still amazed that Jessica is doing so well in such a male dominated field. The stat is something like over 95% of pilots are men. Even I would find it daunting! I want to add that they are setting great examples for their little brothers. Hopefully they won’t want a sheltered uneducated fundie teen bride. But a wife much more like their older sisters. 

6 minutes ago, Triplet3 said:

I think they always were more outward-facing and socially capable than some FJers gave them credit for, to be honest, even when they all held their old beliefs regarding modesty, headcovering, purity etc. They always seemed to have friends outside the family, were involved in secular local activities, managed their own money etc., even when it was clear that they had some family enmeshment going on. I always had more hope for them than I did/do for large families such as the Arndts.

I'm rambling now. Basically, I was pleased but not completely surprised when some of them started to branch out, take further/higher accredited studies, and dress more modern modest.

They’ve been friends with the Kemerly’s for awhile and they dress completely mainstream. That family is like theirs since there are a bunch of girls and only a few boys. 

• Upvote 11

I knew the sisters had been moving further and further away from the SAHD world for some time but it is nice to see just how far they have come. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

When I saw the title of this thread I thought something dreadful had happened to them.  I'm very glad that is not the case.

Yes, they have been spreading their wings and following their individual interests for a while now.  It is so nice to see.  And they are still delightfully enthusiastic.

@Don'tlikekoolaid, latest update here:  http://sevenfarmgirlsisters.com/the-last-few-months/#more-791315 and here is their archive at FJ too:  https://www.freejinger.org/forum/330-seven-sisters/

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 4

Sorry I did not notice the previous threads! I have them in my Feedly and when they popped up today, my brain nearly fell out of my head, I was so shocked. Good for all of them! I still can't believe it, though! :D

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Admins, can we change the name of this thread to something less terrifying?

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

They are my pet fundies. 

I remember reading years ago that their mother also does some sort of faith-based exercise program where she wore traditional exercise clothes. It always made me feel that there must be some practical thinking going on. But to really see their ability to make independent choices and flourish in such different directions is really heartening, TBH. 

• Upvote 2

Among all the other nice things - on the picture of the random person’s baby, it said used with parental consent. In this day and age that stuck out.

• Upvote 26

1 hour ago, Hane said:

Admins, can we change the name of this thread to something less terrifying?

Yes! Thank you for changing! I got too wrapped up in my excitement at posting. :D

• Haha 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

Yes! Thank you for changing! I got too wrapped up in my excitement at posting. :D

They’re really such interesting young women, and I hated to think something bad happened to them!

• Upvote 2

I'm interested to see where Anna's relationship goes. "Met a guy while traveling overseas, fell totally in love, going to do long-distance" sounds like kind of a disaster to me, just based on everyone I knew who studied abroad in college. But these folks are coming at it from a very different background.

• Upvote 2

I loved seeing how they have changed and what they are doing with their lives. The Richardson sisters seem really lovely and I bet they would be fun to chat with and be around.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

The large guy at the back in Anna's photo of canoeing, is throwing the white power sign. 

• Disgust 1
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Based on hand placement I'd say it's more likely the "made you look" sign: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_pranks#Circle_game

That was big when I was in school in the 90s and I hate how the two can easily be confused. Sometimes I’m like, is that person playing a silly game or a racist? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That was big when I was in school in the 90s and I hate how the two can easily be confused. Sometimes I’m like, is that person playing a silly game or a racist? 

I think the main difference is the direction.

The white power sign has the three fingers upward (to represent a W) while the prank sign is always faced down.

• Upvote 1

So glad to see an update.  They always seemed like such a fun and genuinely happy family. The way they live reminds me a lot of my circle of friends who are conservative Christians by belief , as opposed to the more fear and rule-driven legalistic fundies from the church where I grew up. 

• Upvote 3