IGNORED

Anyone else read Pearls Before Swine?

Shoobydoo

Stephen Pastis is coming to lecture at my school next Friday and I'm super excited. :) For once, a guest lecturer I'm actually interested in! I hope I can get something signed after the lecture.

I love love LOVE Pearls Before Swine! It's one of my must-read-daily comics. Have you ever checked out his blog? http://stephanpastis.wordpress.com/

You are so lucky!

Oh my goodness. Thank for that, I've been having a craptastic week and need a good laugh. :lol:

Pearls Before Swine

Get Fuzzy

Mutts

and the late, great Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side

are the last hopes of the art of cartooning and I love 'em all!!!

Lucky you, to get to hear Pastis! Will you please report back???

I am sooooooooooo jealous! I think your dad would have a cow if I drove up to your place just for a lecture; even if I did crash on your couch.

I am sooooooooooo jealous! I think your dad would have a cow if I drove up to your place just for a lecture; even if I did crash on your couch.

I wouldn't mind if you came to visit. It is about half way through the semester. :P But yeah, Dad wouldn't like it, probably.

MamaJunebug, I could very easily record the whole lecture from my laptop, or would that be too much?

Shooby, that would be so kind of you! I don't know for sure that I'd have time to listen to it all, though.

Your highlights will be perfectly enough!!! And thanks for the recording offer!

You probably ought to ask permission before recording the lecture. It may be prohibited for some reason or another.

ETA I'd love to hear it, though!

I haven't been on FJ in about a week since I've been too busy with school work, and will probably disappear for a while again, but I thought I'd check in after the lecture. :) It was very entertaining- he went over the story of how he got syndicated, and talked about some of the reader reactions, etc. He showed a lot of complaint emails, and one news clip about how a death row inmate ended his letter to a politician with a request to have Pearls put back in the local paper. During Q&A there was also some interesting discussion about his relationship with the Schultz family. As some of you probably know, Pastis was a lawyer before boldly entering the realm of cartooning, and when he first started making Pearls Before Swine he got a job with the Schultz' to have just in case the whole cartoon thing didn't work out. Apparently he wound up doing a ton of odd jobs for them, including writing a recent Peanut's special and managing Schultz' estate after his death. There were also some amusing stories about his relationship with Cathy Guisewhite, who didn't always approve of his use of her characters in jokes.

I also got this:

Photoon2011-10-14at19542.jpg

Nooooow I'm going to go read some things I thought I could get away with not reading, but it turns out I can't. Wheeee!

Archived