IGNORED

Josh Harris Announced "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" Was Discontinued

seraaa

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

@Alcyone perceptively wrote,

“...It seems to me that the consequences here are Josh being disappointed and hurt about her relationship with previous boyfriends. He says that it wasn't so much about her "sin against God" but about the guilt that follows. Mhm....only problem is that she didn't have guilt over having these normal young adult relationships until she was told that she should feel completely crappy about it and the stigma of her sexual past would never be erased. Ugh! ...”

This resonated with me. My ex- and I both were unattractive and very awkward in our  youths, but  I had grown out of that phase we’ll before I met him. One of the many red flags I ignored was when he stated outright he wouldn’t marry any woman who wasn’t a virgin. I wasn’t thinking straight and I still met his qualifications (ugh!) so I shrugged it off as him being troglodytic. The rest of the miserable marriage reflected his inability to get past his own “disappointment and hurt” about any number of things that were none of his goddamned business. 

Oh, young women, pay attention, do!

We now return to talking about Harris and his filthy output.  Thank you for your patience with my PTSD. 

I'm sorry you had to go through that but happy that you did manage to get out of it and I hope you realize that your ex was just plain wrong, you have nothing to be judged about.

I got the same vibe from reading that, about Harris being disappointed.  It's judgmental, controlling and 100% fundie/patriarchal crap.  I would not be surprised if he always held her "past" against her and probably used it against her in any arguments they may have had.  She was damaged goods, less than, etc., after all!  (I don't think she was, just that he may have.)

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

Well this is not the positive outcome he was hoping for. Sorry this happened to his magical world. Hope they can work things out.

I googled around and couldn’t find anything that made me really like him.  Earlier in this post I mentioned I’d heard his interview.  So I googled around today and couldn’t find anything that didn’t make him look like a giant pompous jerk. 

• Upvote 7

It appears that the man who was famous for having "kissed dating goodbye" since it was supposed to lead

to a stronger marriage, well...

67231893_10155997656162202_6360471687745503232_n.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2

On 12/20/2018 at 11:35 AM, dripcurl said:

I am proud to say that I was one of the rebellious homeschoolers who refused to read that ridiculous book.

I was happy to be WAY TOO OLD to be one of those kids who would be presented with such a book.  Every time I had to put that thing on the shelf at work, I found myself reading the title in a cartoon character's voice...
"Huh huh, hey Beavis, it says 'Do Hard Things', huh huh..."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 15
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

I googled around and couldn’t find anything that made me really like him.  Earlier in this post I mentioned I’d heard his interview.  So I googled around today and couldn’t find anything that didn’t make him look like a giant pompous jerk. 

It's almost as if reasonable people who are not malignantly full of themselves don't tend to write books about how to make marriage work when they're 20-year old virgins with no relevant education. . 

Only in romcoms. (You know, she's  a marriage counselor and wrote a hyped book and now she's in trouble because people want to see her perfect relationship only she has got none, but there's this guy who pisses the hell out of her criticizing her theories...)

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 32
  • Haha 1

I'm sorry for their kids and I hope they're able to co-parent well while separated.

The damage that Gregg Harris, Mary Pride, The Bradricks, and all their ilk did to a generation of kids and families is really incalculable.

Karma's a bitch.  They can all go fuck themselves.  :P

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

Shannon's IG post from a few days ago is interesting.

Note the themes she says she wants to address in the musical she's creating:

Shannon.thumb.jpg.e0750521540dcc92b37d173da0e06d3d.jpg

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 16

I wouldn't write a musical about such things, but every since the opera, Nixon in China, worked out well, who am I to say?  I truly hope it's successful. 

I truly hope that the sentiments expressed by Josh Harris in that Insta post reflect what really goes down, for the sake of their children. 

I don't know where they live, exactly, but the cost of setting up two households in some areas of Canada (or the US) can be crazy, but hopefully they can live close to each other to make it easier for the kids to spend time in both households. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, Howl said:

I wouldn't write a musical about such things, but every since the opera, Nixon in China, worked out well, who am I to say?  I truly hope it's successful. 

I truly hope that the sentiments expressed by Josh Harris in that Insta post reflect what really goes down, for the sake of their children. 

I don't know where they live, exactly, but the cost of setting up two households in some areas of Canada (or the US) can be crazy, but hopefully they can live close to each other to make it easier for the kids to spend time in both households. 

I could see it being successful if it’s done well. Look at “The Book of Mormon.” 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

It's almost as if reasonable people who are not malignantly full of themselves don't tend to write books about how to make marriage work when they're 20-year old virgins with no relevant education.

THAT.

The only situation equally ridiculous is Gothard telling everyone, not only how marriage should work, but how kids should be raised - for DECADES. I do think Gothard has done more harm than Harris. But Harris was bad enough.

• Upvote 19

14 minutes ago, apple1 said:

THAT.

The only situation equally ridiculous is Gothard telling everyone, not only how marriage should work, but how kids should be raised - for DECADES. I do think Gothard has done more harm than Harris. But Harris was bad enough.

It reminds me of Jeremy and Audrey Roloff. Remember how they began giving marriage advice about 5 minutes after they got married? 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, apple1 said:

The only situation equally ridiculous is Gothard telling everyone, not only how marriage should work, but how kids should be raised - for DECADES.

Yes, an unmarried sexual predator/sex addict from a massively dysfunctional family telling people how to live their lives.  What could go wrong?

I'm seeing so many parallels between Jeffrey Epstein and Gothard.  Single guy with sexual compulsion develops a system to create an endless supply of victims meeting a specific profile in gender, age and appearance and then creates environment  to indulge in the specific compulsions. 

• Upvote 24

22 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It reminds me of Jeremy and Audrey Roloff. Remember how they began giving marriage advice about 5 minutes after they got married? 

I’m waiting for that to implode.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 8

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Last we heard they were living in the most expensive city in Canada.  Average freestanding house is a little over a million. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It's the hubris of youth. My nephew informed my parents, married 49.5 years at the time, that they "didn't understand relationships" when he'd been dating his first and only girlfriend for two months. 

I'm watching "I Survived I Kissed Dating Goodbye" right now. It's on Amazon Prime. 

Harris isn't a saint by any means. But he is willing to listen to people and he does have regrets. In one scene, he contemplates the idea of purity and virginity and point blank says that we treat no other sin this way--that there's no word for never lying and no idea that a person is permanently stained after lying for the first time--every other sin we acknowledge that repentance and grace are enough. But virginity has become a badge to wear in conservative Christian circles. And he admits that that is actually really unhealthy. So if he held Shannon's past, whatever it was, against her early on, he apparently has grown past that. Obviously, we don't know how that change of heart played out between them or if she truly felt that he was past it or if that even helped her heal from his attitude early in the relationship. But he does see the problem. 

While interviewing Elizabeth Esther, he admits to being extreme because he had that young Christian belief that doing more is better--and that the whole no kissing until marriage just came from that. 

And he's open to the person who tells him that the courtship model pretty much left young adults only pursuing people based on physical attraction since a coffee date implied a potential marriage. And that the courtship model elevated sex above all else and is, basically, the prosperity gospel for marriage. And I found that to be an apt description. Do this and you will have the perfect marriage. Except, no, you won't. 

I know a lot of people here will object to the entire documentary because he still believes in sex in marriage only and considers that the hook-up culture is no better than his courtship nonsense. But people are entitled to their own sexual morality. 

• Upvote 19
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Or Dav and Bethy.  Every time I read her marriage advice on instagram I roll my eyes so hard it almost hurts. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

3 minutes ago, AverageGiraffe said:

Or Dav and Bethy.  Every time I read her marriage advice on instagram I roll my eyes so hard it almost hurts. 

I commented on their Youtube once that perhaps they should wait on giving marriage advice until they've been married for more than ten minutes. I got a surprising amount of support. But I attribute that to a lot of people hate watching them. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I commented on their Youtube once that perhaps they should wait on giving marriage advice until they've been married for more than ten minutes. I got a surprising amount of support. But I attribute that to a lot of people hate watching them. 

[Rabbit trail for a moment] I don’t even watch their videos. I pause it and then read the comments!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, AverageGiraffe said:

oh that is one of the girl defined bobble heads? I just watched Mr. Athetist on them. Oh my gawd! I do not like the 2 girls from girl defined. They are just bobble head parrots! 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

oh that is one of the girl defined bobble heads? I just watched Mr. Athetist on them. Oh my gawd! I do not like the 2 girls from girl defined. They are just bobble head parrots! 

That’s actually a decent description of them. Their heads do appear quite large and they are constantly nodding them during their videos.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s actually a decent description of them. Their heads do appear quite large and they are constantly nodding them during their videos.

Thank you. The different people Mr. Atheist has featured all seem to have the same nodding, blank look, hyper, (fake) super happy tone. (Is there a class in these evangelical/fundie colleges that teach it?) 

They all remind me of bobble heads and parrots because (so far) none of them have an original thought. Just parroting, regurgitating the same BS in a youthful, blank veneer. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

I’m waiting for that to implode.  

There are signs that things are not good right now. Audrey is clearly suffering. Jermey is being a grade A jerk.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, Howl said:

I'm seeing so many parallels between Jeffrey Epstein and Gothard.  Single guy with sexual compulsion develops a system to create an endless supply of victims meeting a specific profile in gender, age and appearance and then creates environment  to indulge in the specific compulsions. 

Or Jerry Sandusky, or Larry Nassar, or certain priests...

• Upvote 10

24 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Thank you. The different people Mr. Atheist has featured all seem to have the same nodding, blank look, hyper, (fake) super happy tone. (Is there a class in these evangelical/fundie colleges that teach it?) 

They all remind me of bobble heads and parrots because (so far) none of them have an original thought. Just parroting, regurgitating the same BS in a youthful, blank veneer. 

I think my Baptist College had that as a non-credit class, which I had NO time for. Not that I'd have passed.

I was a curmudgeon even when I was trying to be a Good Christian tm.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Josh Harris Announced "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" Was Discontinued