IGNORED

Josh Harris Announced "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" Was Discontinued

seraaa

22 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

My fundie lite parents sent us to public school k12 and then on to public university. Most of the fundies I knew were fine with married couples using birth control and women working outside the home. I didn't encounter SAHD and Quiverful until I came to Free Jinger.  I still feel I was raised fundie with the accompanying scars and baggage. 

I think a lot of the Charismatic and Mega Churches can fall into the Fundie Lite arena, but they disguise it better, because they're lenient on some things like "hey, our pastor has tattoos" and "wear jeans to church" type things. But you'll notice that there are very traditional underpinnings, like the men are in charge and women are second class citizens. It's destructive.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

The "old timey" fundies really are a dying breed. The Duggars  and Bates will eventually have to go hipster or be on the fringes as an oddity.  

• I Agree 2

21 hours ago, keen23 said:

like the men are in charge and women are second class citizens. It's destructive.

Even Remnant Fellowship which is led by a woman is filled with this patriarchal message. They drink, dance, send their kids to regular school and a college RF agrees is close enough to the church, yet they are still fundie as hell. 

Josh is smart enough to know that the movement he got started with is pretty much dead and he is just trying to grab onto the new fundie movement. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

• 1 month later...

Joshua Harris also never brings up the two "poster" couples who ended up getting divorced. So he's also ignoring the fact that his "magical formula" to divorce-proof your marriage doesn't work. Here me now, Joshua Harris, there is no way to divorce-proof your marriage. None. Hopefully both partners work hard at the marriage. Sometimes at the end of the day people with successful marriages do have luck on their side, bottom line. (I do think successful marriages also a lot of hard work.) What they lack is a "magic formula." 

• Upvote 16

4 hours ago, Howl said:

And yes, she notes that Joshua Harris, in his crockumentary, never apologizes for the damage that IKDG has done.  

Why should he? He's moved ON, people.

He's rebranded himself, he & his family have become Canadian citizens, he doesn't have TIME for this old, stale stuff, so quit asking him about it.

After all, this is the guy who can't be bothered to apologize for or even examine his role in the SGM sexual abuse debacle at CLC where he was LEAD pastor while it was unfolding.

• Upvote 11
  • WTF 2

11 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

He's rebranded himself, he & his family have become Canadian citizens, he doesn't have TIME for this old, stale stuff, so quit asking him about it.

He's a wordsmith and storyteller now! Why must people keep pestering him about his old message that hurt so many people! 

I wonder if he really thought this documentary would make his past go away. 

• Upvote 14

48 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

He's rebranded himself, he & his family have become Canadian citizens,

Ew, what? I did not know this. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was cleaning out some boxes I had in storage and I found my copy of this book. It even had highlighted pages, ugh. We used to have meetings where we'd have to sit down and discuss this, and they'd order pizza and make it seem like this great fun event. I got such shivers glancing through it until I finally tossed it. 

As someone who was raised in the same cult as Elizabeth Esther, I appreciated her candor regarding it, since she has sat through the same meetings I did!

• Upvote 5
  • Love 7

On 10/23/2018 at 1:52 PM, hoipolloi said:

True -- they sound awful.

Crystal herself was extremely self-righteous about it all. She even appeared as a poster girl for the patriarchy in some British documentary in the mid-2000s. I remember her kvelling about it on her defunct blog, Biblical Womanhood, as a wonderful way to bring light to the heathen.

Yes, she really was. I still follow her money-saving-mom blog. Today she has a post about going to NYC with two of her sisters. I feel like a mean girl to say it, but she has a photograph of her with her sisters. To me, her sisters look sick or ill. Maybe it's just an unflattering photograph. Crystal has come a long way. She posts her sisters grocery shopping trips and menus, and I just want to tell them to get jobs so they can afford meat. They still have a lot of "gravy over rice" on the menu as the main dish. Maybe that's why they look sort of ill--lack of protein. 

I think Josh is probably disappointed that his attempt at a documentary generated so little buzz. I know I am. ?

• Haha 8

On 1/2/2019 at 2:29 PM, keen23 said:

I think a lot of the Charismatic and Mega Churches can fall into the Fundie Lite arena, but they disguise it better, because they're lenient on some things like "hey, our pastor has tattoos" and "wear jeans to church" type things. But you'll notice that there are very traditional underpinnings, like the men are in charge and women are second class citizens. It's destructive.

Those pastors wear the knit caps and so it looks all cool, but it's just damaging patriarchal BS re-branded and re-packaged for the millennials 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

Oh, even the Catholics tried the rebranded cool preachers.

Although tbh this guy got side-eyed by pretty much everybody. I met him. WEIRD.

“Jumping up and down, getting hit by chairs and telling girls they are fat is hardly the image of a Catholic preacher. But for Justin Fatica, a 29-year-old unordained priest and leader of a nonprofit called Hard as Nails Ministries, that is exactly the point.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/FaithMatters/story?id=4013475&page=1

• Disgust 1
  • WTF 6

Hard as Nails?  Are they not doing phrasing anymore?

• Haha 5
  • Love 1

Umm, I’m not Catholic anymore, but I’m pretty sure an “unordained priest” is not a priest.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 14
  • Love 1

On 3/19/2019 at 6:02 PM, bea said:

Oh, even the Catholics tried the rebranded cool preachers.

Although tbh this guy got side-eyed by pretty much everybody. I met him. WEIRD.

“Jumping up and down, getting hit by chairs and telling girls they are fat is hardly the image of a Catholic preacher. But for Justin Fatica, a 29-year-old unordained priest and leader of a nonprofit called Hard as Nails Ministries, that is exactly the point.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/FaithMatters/story?id=4013475&page=1

I saw a documentary about him and his organization a few years ago.  I’m pretty sure it’s called hard as nails.  The part I remember most was one of the young women in his traveling group telling an audience about losing her virginity before marriage, and treating it like it was as bad a murder.  He’s ridiculous, and really impressed with himself.

• Upvote 3

On 3/19/2019 at 6:02 PM, bea said:

Justin Fatica, a 29-year-old unordained priest and leader of a nonprofit called Hard as Nails Ministries, that is exactly the point.

Thanks for this rabbit hole. Amazon had the documentary and it’s pretty interesting. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2019 at 1:37 PM, hoipolloi said:

Why should he? He's moved ON, people.

After all, this is the guy who can't be bothered to apologize for or even examine his role in the SGM sexual abuse debacle at CLC where he was LEAD pastor while it was unfolding.

Wow. Reducing the sexual abuse of children down to a "? storm" that HE walked through is, well, exactly what I'd expect from this jerk.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

Thanks for this rabbit hole. Amazon had the documentary and it’s pretty interesting. 

To be honest I only knew about that guy because a family member worked on the documentary. Freaky, innit?
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

That Justin Fatica is the biggest douchebro ever. (Or this week) I watched the Hard as Nails documentary. How obnoxious. And in the last ten years he’s only expanded his “ministry.” Dear Rufus. How is getting hit repeatedly by a folding chair inspirational or motivating?

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2019 at 11:28 AM, singsingsing said:

Ew, what? I did not know this. 

Bafflingly, he and his family now live in the hippie-dippiest lefty place in Canada - Vancouver. 

Even I find all the chakra discussions, essential oils, marijuana cures, and Buddha statues 'round here insufferable.  I can only imagine what the lower mainland is like for a former fundie.

Edited by acheronbeach
typo
  • Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Josh Harris Announced "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" Was Discontinued