IGNORED

Josh Harris Announced "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" Was Discontinued

seraaa

16 hours ago, WineGlass said:

Christian purity sexual frustration?

Thanks, Josh Harris.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

I spent a few years in a church kids choir in the 80s, so not only did we learn a lot of the Maranatha and Candle albums (Bullfrogs and Butterflies, Music Machine, Psalty the Singing Songbook, etc), we put on a full choir musical at least once a year. I'm pretty sure my parents had alllll of Barry McGuire's Christian music, both kid and adult records. My friend and I compared notes recently and we still remember a lot of the songs from "We Like Sheep," "Oh My Stars, It's Christmas," and "Colby's Missing Memory." 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Howl said:

I'll modify then and retroactively edit:  Do y'all remember when...... 

I assumed that this was a distant memory and the flannel-graph had gone the way of so many oddities from my childhood in the 1950s. 

Don't worry about it, I'd assume they went the way of the dodo if I hadn't seen them in the 90s. ?

It seems like they're mainly a thing in Christian children's education.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

Anyway, love the drift. Related to the original topic of the Duggars, well, at VBS we have songs that we dance to. Has the Duggars' stances on dancing modified? Think they'd pull their kids out with such a thing, or just let them have the exercise, knowing that boys and girls don't dance with each other in a potentially sensual way?

Going by an anecdote my mother told me , about the Nazarene Church , remember Nazarenes officially aren't allowed to dance either , what exactly is considered to be "dancing " is subjective .  A Nazarene pastor , back in the day was brought before a disciplinary board upon being caught " dancing with Negroes " , as African-Americans were known as back then .  Well , upon reviewing the case , the pastor was exhonorated . According to the finding of the hearing , dancing is defined as being synchronized movement , as considering that the movements of  " Negroes" are not synchronized , the pastor was not found guilty of dancing .   From the " Covenant of Christian Conduct "  Paragraph 29 , Section 4  

We hold specifically that the following practices should be avoided:  

All forms of dancing that detract from spiritual growth and break down proper moral inhibitions and reserve.

(Matthew 22:36–39; Romans 12:1–2; 1 Corinthians 10:31–33; Philippians 1:9–11; Colossians 3:1–17)

http://2013.manual.nazarene.org/section/covenant-of-christian-conduct/page/2/   But yeah , I still remember doing the " Father Abraham " song , complete with the body moves some people of the " world " might deem to be dancing .  

• Upvote 1

“We Like Sheep”! How could I have forgotten that one? Very sweet little musical.  

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 8/7/2019 at 3:53 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

I think the church in a mall is the logical end of those of the Protestant reformers who preferred plain, whitewashed churches as a sign of their complete rejection of Catholic sacramentalism (this included a very diverse group, such as Calvinists, Anabaptists, Quakers, and low church Anglicans). Since Pentecostalists believe in the continuing fruits of the spirit, it would stand to reason that no physical place or object is inherently sacred or more so than any other place, as is the case with Catholic sacramentalism. The church is holy because of the congregation that has (hopefully) been sanctified by the fruits of the Holy Spirit, not due to anything special about the place itself. 

There is a small denomination here in the Midwest called the Church of Christ which is generally fundamentalist (and not affiliated with the United Church of Christ or the historically Campbellite Church of Christ...totally different thing, don't come at me. Got into it a few years ago with someone telling me they grew up in a Church of Christ and they DO NOT believe or do that....there are different groups with the same names). They took the church is the congregation to the extreme that their buildings always had signs that said "The CHURCH OF CHRIST meets here" when I had extended family involved in it. Apparently, they have become a bit more sophisticate now in the 21st C., the one in our town says "The Place Where the CHURCH OF CHRIST Gathers". 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Marmion said:

But yeah , I still remember doing the " Father Abraham " song , complete with the body moves some people of the " world " might deem to be dancing .  

OMG - flashbacks!  I was a counselor at a Presbyterian church camp in the summers of '89-91 and that one was always part of the morning songs (I think as a way to get them awake and moving more than anything).

• Upvote 4

As I read JH's latest IG posts, all I can feel is relief. I know there is a lot that's going unsaid or even covered up. I'm not insensitive to the criticism that JH knows on which side his bread is buttered and that this might just be another attempt to read which way the wind is blowing and set himself up to benefit from it, using his not-insignificant marketing skills. I'm just so grateful that someone as highly positioned as Harris has left the fold and is acknowledging harm, that I'm willing to take any crumbs I can get. 

• Upvote 6

If you like sheep, here you go.

Spoiler

Sorry, the closest I ever got to real church was an occasional visit to the Unitarian Church.  But these guys dance!!  Long live Shaun!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

Here is the ridiculous I'm in the Lord's Army  song for those who didn't grow up singing this. 

Spoiler

If I were a butterfly.

Spoiler

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

17 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

If I were a butterfly.

Why on earth would anyone want to be a butterfly? They're airborne worms, who look terrifying close-up. And people used to catch them and impale them in their curiosity cabinets, to display. All of that is the stuff of nightmares, if you ask me... :)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 2

On 8/8/2019 at 12:31 PM, Marmion said:

A Nazarene pastor , back in the day was brought before a disciplinary board upon being caught " dancing with Negroes " , as African-Americans were known as back then .  Well , upon reviewing the case , the pastor was exhonorated . According to the finding of the hearing , dancing is defined as being synchronized movement , as considering that the movements of  " Negroes" are not synchronized ,

WTF. I'm "negro" and our dancing is very synchronized and rhythmical, thank you very much. Anyway, talk about legalized technicality religious bullshit. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

WTF. I'm "negro" and our dancing is very synchronized and rhythmical, thank you very much. Anyway, talk about legalized technicality religious bullshit. 

I agree completely . I was just referencing an incident I had heard about , and using period language to add authenticity . 

4 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

Why on earth would anyone want to be a butterfly? They're airborne worms, who look terrifying close-up. And people used to catch them and impale them in their curiosity cabinets, to display. All of that is the stuff of nightmares, if you ask me... :)

How about a sheep ?  

• Haha 3
  • Thank You 1

I’m late to the flannelgraoh talk, but my church uses them!! I love them. They have TVs in the children’s classrooms set up to show a short (5 mins) story, but I honestly prefer the flannelgraph. I find that it can be way more interactive. The kids can participate more, and it’s less passive learning for them. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, G33kywife said:

I’m late to the flannelgraoh talk, but my church uses them!! I love them. They have TVs in the children’s classrooms set up to show a short (5 mins) story, but I honestly prefer the flannelgraph. I find that it can be way more interactive. The kids can participate more, and it’s less passive learning for them. 

Flannelgraph teaching wouldn't have to be only used for Sunday school lessons. It could be used in many ways as an alternative way to help kids learn. I'm all for anything that can offer that. (My grandson has autism and is non-verbal -- he needs every possible option).

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

Isn’t the fundy objection to rock music due(at least in part)to supposedly being “based on African jungle rhythms”?

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 4

Felt boards (never heard them called flannelgraphs until this thread) are great for music teachers, too. I remember a teacher using one to make it easier for us to remember that upstems go on the right of a notehead, and downstems on the left, by simply flipping the felt note over.

I never had one as a teacher, but I had a magnetized board and used note magnets for the same purpose. I actually preferred that, since they could be cleaned more easily and thoroughly.

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 8

@thoughtful, we had felt boards in first grade back in the Pleistocene (though not in religious ed—I was an Ebil Catholic). I remember it because the teacher cut out a felt apostrophe so I could form the plural of my name.

• Upvote 5

On 8/8/2019 at 5:40 AM, Howl said:

I'll modify then and retroactively edit:  Do y'all remember when...... 

I assumed that this was a distant memory and the flannel-graph had gone the way of so many oddities from my childhood in the 1950s. 

When we were homeschooling in the 90s and 00s, I remember a vendor at the curriculum fair who sold flannelgraphs. Not just bible stories, either. Dinosaurs. Mammals. Ocean life. Anatomy (picture flannel organs and  skeletal parts, maybe muscle groups?, that you’d stick to a flannel body outline).

The pieces came printed on a large piece of flannel, so the buyer had to cut out the pieces before using the set.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, G33kywife said:

I taught 4 year old Sunday school when I was a Protestant. I loved the flannelgraphs. I had a small group, so I could usually give each child a piece to put on when that part of the story came. They pay super close attention then as they wait for their turn. A good trick is to give the most easily distracted child the last piece of the story. 

The more interactive the better for young ones no matter what you are teaching. 

• Upvote 13

On 8/8/2019 at 6:16 AM, apple1 said:

I hope somehow some way kids are still experiencing learning (the Biblical stories) by flannelgraph. Instead of an electronic/ video screen. Maybe the method activates some different learning pathway in the brain, who knows?

Plus - When these stories are well-taught - that background gives a base for potentially being able to distinguish what is a real belief system from a cult. Not one lesson alone, the entire body of lessons.

Suddenly I am reminded of Colorforms. Which one of my kids surprised me recently by telling me how much she’d loved them. I think my sister had found a “retro” set and sent it as a present around 2000 or so, long after Colorforms were a “thing”—and that set made a huge impression somehow.

But then, I remember loving Colorforms in the 60s...

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

All this reminds me of a recent user of flannelgraph. :pb_wink:

Spoiler

20190811_134602.thumb.jpg.89ae2e60a048e1d713cf65b6ebb5a883.jpg

She's one of the regular characters in the video series "What's in the Bible?". It's made by one of the creators of VeggieTales; my kids got volumes 1 and 2 as presents. 

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
punctuation
  • Haha 10

And, just for fun, here's a video to give y'all a taste of Sunday School Lady.

Spoiler

My kids love the goofy guy who always asks about ponies.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Josh Harris Announced "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" Was Discontinued