IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 3: Living in the White Evangelical Bubble

Coconut Flan

11 hours ago, Calypso said:

Or a cultural thing that I havent been exposed to? Because the closest I come to decorating like that is rearranging stuff that I already have. And theres no way that my pictures or furniture could fit into a unified theme because they were collected over time and either have sentimental value or were a one off item that I liked.

It sounds like we have the same decorating style! We started off with random bits of furniture relatives gave us and slowly acquired newer stuff that we liked. We still have lamps and tables relatives gave us. I'll buy a new kitchen mat floor mat every couple years when they get worn out and new bed comforters when ours gets too old, but that is about as far as I go for changing things up. It seems like changing everything would cost a lot of money.

We have an old blue bathroom with an blue toilet that everyone told us to get rid of when we bought the house, we didn't and now they are back to being trendy and people gush over my vintage bathroom. I guess it is good I didn't have the money or energy to redecorate my house!  I'm in the process of painting the hall and probably our bedroom just because they actually need to be painted. I wish I could drag Erin over here to do it for me since she seems to enjoy that stuff! 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

A stylist? I wonder if this is to be taped for the show?

URGGGGh I can't tell you how I am not a fan of fake plants.  Bloody dust collecting junk in my opinion. I prefer a real plant 

I don't like fake plants in theory either, but still have them because my living room needs color, and I just kill any real plant I buy, no matter what. I finally had to relent and buy a fake floor plant this year after I killed my fourth $50 houseplant. 

12 hours ago, Calypso said:

The Bates' way of decorating is so foreign to me. They always have a style for the house and a whole bunch of kitschy decorations that change every year or so. Erin's home decorations have changed how many times? And they always have a theme that everything must fit into. Is this a fundy thing? Or a cultural thing that I havent been exposed to? Because the closest I come to decorating like that is rearranging stuff that I already have. And theres no way that my pictures or furniture could fit into a unified theme because they were collected over time and either have sentimental value or were a one off item that I liked.

I don't change things up as often as the Bateses do, but I am really into decorating and my rooms do have a theme in terms of colors, patterns, texture, and level of formality. I try to reduce the kitsch though, and no "inspirational" decal will ever grace my walls.

then try to incorporate sentimental items in with the new themed stuff. Pictures and photographs, for instance, aren't themed, but I try to make sure the picture frames at least coordinate with one another so there's flow. 

So I must now add Josie’s stylist (bohodreamerstudio) to my list of mothers I just don’t understand. She has five kids (does not look old enough) whom she apparently homeschools and her house according to Instagram just does not look lived in to me. No evidence of children, teenagers, or real life anywhere. Where does she get the time to homeschool 5 if she’s also got a decorating and painting biz that appears to be quite active. Do these people just have loads more energy than me? I feel like if I got my house to look like that, it would be a one-time affair that would leave me exhausted and I would have to completely ignore my family in order to accomplish it, and then it would immediately get messed up again as normal life reconvened and I would cry. Just not worth it to me. Or maybe I’m just a low functioning human. 

In Josie’s Insta story they did this whole long tutorial about how the yarn thingies were made, and I couldn’t help but notice the two small children standing and watching a movie at the table. The place was a mess, so I assume they were / would be at it most of the day. I wonder what that was like for the kids, to be schlepped to something and expected to just stay out of the way for hours. I know it’s common in family restaurants and stuff like that. I just imagine it sucks for the kids.

23 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

Well, honey, you cannot get more "Southern" US than I am.  I was literally raised right on the Gulf of Mexico, and the "Where y'all go to church?" thing is completely beyond the pale to me.  I think it's kind of a Baptist/Church of Christ thing.  At least that is my impression, judging by who's asking the question.  

Yep, right there with you.  I have lived in the New Orleans area and Southern Mississippi all my life and no one ever asks me what church I go to.

21 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

How many young couples can just go and do up a house all new. So many people start out with every random family member's hand me downs. 
I wonder if they know how "blessed" they are?

Really? I don't know how forniture and decoration prices are in US, but in my country young couples use go to IKEA or to even cheaper stores and buy new forniture for their homes. I know some people who have bought second hand sofas or tables for an specific design, but using family hand me downs (AKA outdated forniture) nowadays is not that common. I'm talking about employed people, as Josie and Kelton are.

Sometimes it's a bit ironic to read this forum. Melanie and Nathan Maxwell were critisized for having Teri's old fashioned forniture. Jill Duggar has been critisized for not having a well decorated house. Even Jinger, who set a brand new nursery for her baby, was accused of not doing it well enough (too bland, too neutral nursery, not expensive, said some posters).

18 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I don't know how forniture and decoration prices are in US, but in my country young couples use go to IKEA or to even cheaper stores and buy new forniture for their homes.

I had some new pieces starting out, but they were purchased one at a time. It was decades before I bought matching bedroom furniture for me, although I did do so for DD. I am amazed when young people have a house full of new matching furniture, especially with student loan debt being what it is now.

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

I had some new pieces starting out, but they were purchased one at a time. It was decades before I bought matching bedroom furniture for me, although I did do so for DD. I am amazed when young people have a house full of new matching furniture, especially with student loan debt being what it is now.

That’s only if you have an education.

40 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

That’s only if you have an education.

I'm even more amazed that young people can furnish a house full of matching furniture without educations! Then again, fundy finances are a mysterious thing.

15 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I'm even more amazed that young people can furnish a house full of matching furniture without educations! Then again, fundy finances are a mysterious thing.

Amen. I do not know how Josh/Anna or the Dillards survive.

At least the others have Counting On money.

16 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Also, dollars to donuts JB has some funny financials-

My snark notwithstanding, Josie and Kelton have trade school educations in lucrative trades. Hopefully they do not have student debt. They’re probably doing better than lots of fundies. Very likely their decorating is being funded at least in part by UP and its participating sponsors. 

I really don't care about decorating. I put up pictures that suit me, paintings that catch my eye. I don't feel the need to coordinate it all.

8 hours ago, sparrow said:

So I must now add Josie’s stylist (bohodreamerstudio) to my list of mothers I just don’t understand. She has five kids (does not look old enough) whom she apparently homeschools and her house according to Instagram just does not look lived in to me. No evidence of children, teenagers, or real life anywhere. Where does she get the time to homeschool 5 if she’s also got a decorating and painting biz that appears to be quite active. Do these people just have loads more energy than me? I feel like if I got my house to look like that, it would be a one-time affair that would leave me exhausted and I would have to completely ignore my family in order to accomplish it, and then it would immediately get messed up again as normal life reconvened and I would cry. Just not worth it to me. Or maybe I’m just a low functioning human.

Does the stylist friend actually homeschool? Both kids were in what looked like private school uniforms -- white button-down shirt and dark trousers on him, matching gym slip and blouse on her. Almost no one puts small kids in button-downs and gym slips unless it's a uniform.  Plus I didn't see the kids in the Instagram of the shopping trip.

If she's saying she homeschools, I call BS. (And I sincerely hope this means that Josie sees private schools as an option!)

I did notice the friend was wearing a very stylish pair of skinny jeans. I hope she and Josie swung by some clothing stores on the way to the decor aisle.

11 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Does the stylist friend actually homeschool? Both kids were in what looked like private school uniforms -- white button-down shirt and dark trousers on him, matching gym slip and blouse on her. Almost no one puts small kids in button-downs and gym slips unless it's a uniform.  Plus I didn't see the kids in the Instagram of the shopping trip.

If she's saying she homeschools, I call BS. (And I sincerely hope this means that Josie sees private schools as an option!)

It doesn't really sound like she had been until pretty recently. In her August 22 post she said she was homeschooling her 12 year old, but in her post from August 24, she says "I actually have 5 wild ones to keep up with, but the other 2 opted to stay inside for a bit after a long day at school." The AT school sounds like the others were physically somewhere else for their classes to me.

However, the September 10 post says she's now homeschooling 3 kids, so something happened between the end of August and early September where she's now homeschooling more of her kids. 

6 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

It doesn't really sound like she had been until pretty recently. In her post from August 24, she says "I actually have 5 wild ones to keep up with, but the other 2 opted to stay inside for a bit after a long day at school." The AT school sounds like they were physically somewhere else for their classes to me.

However, the September 10 post says she's NOW homeschooling 3 kids. It's sounds like this is a change to how things had been going for her and how she was spending her time. 

Maybe her life would be easier if she had fewer pillows. I count 12 in just the part of the living room that I can see.  9 alone on that sofa (and we can't even see the whole sofa)

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

My snark notwithstanding, Josie and Kelton have trade school educations in lucrative trades. Hopefully they do not have student debt. They’re probably doing better than lots of fundies. Very likely their decorating is being funded at least in part by UP and its participating sponsors. 

Plumbing, maybe. But since when is hairstyling a lucrative career? A good friend of mine is a well-established hairdresser, been doing it for 30 years, and she says she doesn't make much doing it. One of my daughters showed a talent for cutting and coloring hair, and my friend strongly advised her to do it just for fun. "You'll never make any money at it," she said.

1 hour ago, Hisey said:

Plumbing, maybe. But since when is hairstyling a lucrative career? A good friend of mine is a well-established hairdresser, been doing it for 30 years, and she says she doesn't make much doing it. One of my daughters showed a talent for cutting and coloring hair, and my friend strongly advised her to do it just for fun. "You'll never make any money at it," she said.

It probably depends on where you are. It’s relatively lucrative compared to the service jobs she could get in small-town Tennessee.

3 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I know one of the Bates husbands is a cop, there is a realtor in there too. Never said that none of them have decent jobs. The student debt comment was general and not meant to apply to just Josie and Kelton or fundies. The more pertinent part of my comment was the youth aspect. I had a degree and made good money in corporate America and still couldn't afford thematically coordinated decorating with all new stuff when I was in my twenties. That's all I was saying. And student debt is a big deal for a lot of young people now, maybe not for these fundies, but for others, yes. There are articles about it everywhere.

And hairdressing is extremely lucrative where I live.

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I really don't care about decorating. I put up pictures that suit me, paintings that catch my eye. I don't feel the need to coordinate it all.

Eclectic!

On 10/26/2018 at 9:19 AM, AussieKrissy said:

A stylist? I wonder if this is to be taped for the show?

URGGGGh I can't tell you how I am not a fan of fake plants.  Bloody dust collecting junk in my opinion. I prefer a real plant 

How many young couples can just go and do up a house all new. So many people start out with every random family member's hand me downs. 
I wonder if they know how "blessed" they are?

Mr LBE and I would love to have one of those nicely decorated houses where everything matches and it is all planned out.....but money. So much money.

I used my parents old couch for about 4 years. Damn that thing was so comfortable though, no regrets. I was SO bummed when it couldn't come with us when we moved countries.

I’m a little bit of an odd duck for my age... I appreciate traditional (well made) furniture that tends to stand the test of time. My grandmother has incredible style & has held onto some amazing pieces over the years. She has passed down some heirloom quality (if taken care of) furniture & I love all of it. Anytime she rearranges or feels like purging I immediately volunteer to take it! Most of my house is a mix of hand me downs but I doubt anyone would ever know it if I didn’t tell them. 

I suppose my style is traditional with a little mix of eclectic. I don’t like all my furniture to perfectly match. In fact, I hate completely matching sets. I’m also not a fan of inspirational quotes on the wall, decals of any kind, shiplap, primitives, or anything too trendy. I can appreciate the effort people put into their own style but some of trendier stuff... I just think, “that’s going to be out of style in about six months & you’re gonna want to redo the whole house again.” But to each their own! Your living space has to make you happy. 

***Also meant to add... my husband & I are in our 30’s, both employed with decent incomes & we would have a difficult time finding the $$$ to frequently redecorate, buy all new matching furniture & keep up with the renovations of some of these fundies. I don’t know how they do it. In my 20’s???? Get out of here! I could barely afford rent then. 

I’m on a roll this morning... just watched Josie’s story. They are shopping at Hobby Lobby. A Christian based (evangelist owned) retailer. A few years ago they were fighting to keep certain forms of birth control from being a part of their employees insurance plans....I know some of you are from my part of the U.S. & familiar with that store. It’s very inexpensive. Most of the time they run 50% off coupons. Lots of cheap China made items. You can find cute bits & pieces there but I certainly wouldn’t want to decorate my entire house with it! They  also have a nice selection of crafting supplies. (If you are into that sort of thing.) 

I will say, I’m very impressed with Kelton if he did in fact make that those tables & chairs! Very cool. 

I'm very impressed with Kelton. I actually loved the chairs and tables. That looks like something I'd buy for myself.

2 hours ago, Joyfully Available said:

by. A Christian based (evangelist owned) retailer. A few years ago they were fighting to keep certain forms of birth control from being a part of their employees insurance plans....

They also got in trouble for buying millions of dollars worth of ancient artifacts stolen from the Middle East and then illegally smuggled them into America by lying and claiming the ancient artifacts were some sort of craft samples. They also had to recently return another artifact that had been stolen from Athens in 1991. A source of funds for groups like ISIS is selling stolen items like this, something the Hobby Lobby owners were warned about but they continually ignored every single advice by experts on how to avoid purchasing stolen goods. 

@formergothardite I’m glad you commented. I remember this story as well. Very shady group! Hobby Lobby is so popular around here... I hate it sometimes.  Nobody cares about their ethics. They just shade it with “but Jesus”, “so blessed to have a Christian retailer” , etc. 

"But Jesus" covers up a multitude of sins when it comes to people like the Hobby Lobby owners, Trump and the Bates. The owners are evangelicals who are trying to oppress the same people the Bates want to oppress therefore they are automatically "good people" and they shouldn't be criticized for possible funding terrorists, lying on government forms and ignoring the people who told them that what they were buying was stolen. Those would be grave sins on another person, but for not for the Green family because they have Jesus. 

I am a bit amused that their most expensive artifacts were just shown to be fakes. They ended up in the situation because they insisted on buying things in unscrupulous ways. There is no way that more fakes and stolen items will be found in that museum. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived