IGNORED

M Is for Mama 2: Quiverfull/Pinterest

Coconut Flan

Braggie wants so so so bad to be the uber Christian, cool hip mom version of Joanna Gaines.  And just as famous. And rich. Only with more children.

Except there is a big difference.  JG has a definite aesthetic and design style and vision. (Not my taste, but there is one).  Braggie's house looks like a totally random collection of Goodwill, thrifting, DIY and Anthro wannabees without any thought. It's just too much kitsch and "cute"  and trendy everywhere, all at once. Like wearing stripes and plaid and floral and polka dots and patchwork together. But not in a fun way.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Braggie wants so so so bad to be the uber Christian, cool hip mom version of Joanna Gaines.  And just as famous. And rich. Only with more children.

Except there is a big difference.  JG has a definite aesthetic and design style and vision. (Not my taste, but there is one).  Braggie's house looks like a totally random collection of Goodwill, thrifting, DIY and Anthro wannabees without any thought. It's just too much kitsch and "cute"  and trendy everywhere, all at once. Like wearing stripes and plaid and floral and polka dots and patchwork together. But not in a fun way.

YES! You described it so much better than I did :)

If I had 8+ children, there is NO WAY I would want expensive furniture/decorations/MOAR shit to clean. I really cannot get over her backward thinking. 

As I have said, if you want those things, that's fine. Just don't go having 8 children. Have one or maybe two. I think she would have honestly felt happier if she had fewer kids, not because of anything her kids have done, they all seem like such good kids, but trying to force pieces to fit when they obviously DON'T hurts everyone in the family. 

And by everyone, I mean I feel more for her husband/mother/kids than I ever would Braggie. 

I've just learned of this woman tonight. What is the sweet hell is this juice she allegedly puts in her kids' mouths to discipline them if they sass?  I tried to find this on her blog after checking out her facebook...tell me it's a joke and it's not real.  I think my mother (she was abusive when I was young) liked to put Tobasco and Lava soap in my mouth...

@ladyicantxplain, so sorry you had to went through this! I'm sending you a big hug from my place to yours!

Braggie calls it fuss juice. I don't remember what she puts in it I just know that this is highly abusive behavior and I feel really sorry for her kids.

1 hour ago, unholypoledancer said:

If I had 8+ children, there is NO WAY I would want expensive furniture/decorations/MOAR shit to clean. I really cannot get over her backward thinking. 

As I have said, if you want those things, that's fine. Just don't go having 8 children. Have one or maybe two. I think she would have honestly felt happier if she had fewer kids, not because of anything her kids have done, they all seem like such good kids, but trying to force pieces to fit when they obviously DON'T hurts everyone in the family. 

And by everyone, I mean I feel more for her husband/mother/kids than I ever would Braggie.

See, this is the difference between Abbie and normal people. It's not like Abbie cleans anything. She just fills the house with more crap for her kids to clean. With a positive attitude, might I add, or else...

32 minutes ago, ophelia said:

@ladyicantxplain, so sorry you had to went through this! I'm sending you a big hug from my place to yours!

Braggie calls it fuss juice. I don't remember what she puts in it I just know that this is highly abusive behavior and I feel really sorry for her kids.

I think it’s apple cider vinegar. 

@Miranda agreed, iirc it's diluted apple cider vinegar ("two birds one stone! Good for them AND it stops their whining!" or something to that degree)

Thanks for clarifying that for me.  Okay, it's not Tabasco or Lava soap or little bars of lavender perfumed soap, but I believe it is totally inappropriate child discipline nonetheless.

I cannot believe the smirk on The Narcissist’s face. She’s discussing her date nights are now on Thursdays and how their mother has the kids sleep over at her house that night every week— even if Braggie as a date night in.

Braggie how about you & your husband move your lazy butts and pick your kids up after “date night” is over? Why can’t you hire a babysitter like everyone else so the kids can sleep at home? You are such a jerk and that smirk only makes you as ugly on the outside as you are on the inside. Seriously, your selfies lately only make you look like more of a miserable, vain woman than the one we all already know you are. 

She’s definitely responding to criticism here in her most recent two Instagram posts. 8D9C5B04-581A-4955-9C6F-A197730AAB7E.thumb.png.0443f9aa6279e42ed6da6910dacad2c8.png

I wonder if the kids love going to grandma’s house because they don’t have to constantly clean and tend to their younger siblings. I bet it’s a nice break for them. 

I wonder if the kids love going to grandma’s house because they don’t have to constantly clean and tend to their younger siblings. I bet it’s a nice break for them. 
I was thinking the same. They probably have a more comfortable relationship with their grandmother than with a mother who sounds hard to connect to.

Braggie says it's only her oldest ones who go every Thursday night to sleep over and that she has the younger ones in bed by 7 PM. I agree, it's obvious because Grandma must want to give the oldest, who she works to the bone, a break. The problem is that Braggie is more than happy to break up her kids every week to have some sleep over every Thursday at Grandma's.  In fact, she has said that the oldest go to Grandma's house (or maybe Grandma comes to Braggie's house now) 2 days a week for her to homeschool them and the other 2 days they go to co-op.

Why keep having babies you don't enjoy? You don't want to take on the responsibilities physically, emotionally and financially as a mother of 8+ children. This is NOT Christ-like, NOT sanctifying, and if you TRULY keep calling it sanctifying for yourself it's NOT... Rather, than sanctifying it's selfish because why should your kids be punished just for your own "sanctification"? 

Selfies showing the toilet seat are disgusting. She has a really huge house, isn't there any other room with a mirror?

17 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Selfies showing the toilet seat are disgusting. She has a really huge house, isn't there any other room with a mirror?

It’s Braggie. I imagine she owns A LOT of mirrors.

I think Braggie's kids are only marginally better off than ZZ's-- they have a big house with room to spread out, they get a decent education all thanks to Grandma and the Co-op, and their Dad doesn't seem to be a raving psychopath and seems to actually be around (and no-one is emailing him death threats). But sooner or later, those cracks are going to start to show: their mother's obvious dislike of them, their mother's constant temper tantrums/ spraying of fuss juice, and the older boys starting to resent that they spent their Saturday mornings babysitting for their Mom's exercise clients instead of doing normal kids things (football practice, sleepovers, hanging around the mall with their friends, etc).

Clock is ticking, Braggie. Fix it while there's still time.

I don't see any problem at all having the kids spend the night at Grandma's house and I hope to some day have grandchildren who can spend the night at my house. As long as both children and Grandma are happy with the situation I can only see it as win win. Is it selfish of Abbie? Who cares, both other parties benefit from the situation. 

I am lucky in some of the same ways she is, my mom lives near by and had always been an active participant in their lives, we live in a large house, my husband makes good money and we don't have financial difficulties (we tend to spend money on education and enrichment than on curtains and wallpaper) my older kids are old enough to watch the younger. I don't *feel* selfish in taking advantage of all these things, and I don't think I don't think I could make life better for my children or my mother (or husband) or world at large if I didn't. 

The narrative 'a good mother should never take time for herself/her relationship/her life' is pretty common and definitely unfair and harmful to mothers, children, and close relationships. What's different for Abbie is that she _only_ does things benefiting herself. When you've got narcissistic tendencies and untreated mental health conditions in the mix you get bad news. I won't criticize her having things she likes to do, working at the gym, and not being with her kids every second of the day because she's a person and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But as@luv2laugh has remarked, she presents herself as a stay-at-home homeschooling mom who spends a large proportion of her days as quality time with her kids and that is not the case when you really break it down. She also has her kids do a significant amount of the work in the home with little choice in the matter about their activities. I can remark with good conscience on her hypocrisy about her time, having more children than she wants and can safely care for, and limiting her children to activities she desires for them (which mainly seem to include maintaining her lifestyle). I can do that without feeling like I'm shaming her for being a human with interests outside her family life, because I think that's a normal and healthy thing to do. Her other behaviors are not healthy and are influencing her audience towards negative beliefs about themselves and their children.

4 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

I don't see any problem at all having the kids spend the night at Grandma's house and I hope to some day have grandchildren who can spend the night at my house. As long as both children and Grandma are happy with the situation I can only see it as win win. Is it selfish of Abbie? Who cares, both other parties benefit from the situation. 

I am lucky in some of the same ways she is, my mom lives near by and had always been an active participant in their lives, we live in a large house, my husband makes good money and we don't have financial difficulties (we tend to spend money on education and enrichment than on curtains and wallpaper) my older kids are old enough to watch the younger. I don't *feel* selfish in taking advantage of all these things, and I don't think I don't think I could make life better for my children or my mother (or husband) or world at large if I didn't. 

Yes, it is selfish to force your older children to be the babysitters AKA 2nd moms, chefs, maids, and force them to suppress their emotions.

It is abusive to spank Pearl method style, sleep train, and squirt fuss juice down your children’s throats for simply wanting a different color cup or not sitting still.

Abbie resorts to draconian methods to discipline her children because she cannot handle their emotions. In my opinion, she is NOT fit to be a parent of many kids and she doesn’t want to take on the responsibility of parenting them,

Guess what? Braggie moment:

Braggie Abbie, you should be ashamed of your boasting and pride.  I graduated Summa Cum Laude as well as my husband, who went to an Ivy League school for both a bachelors & masters degree in engineering, who makes A LOT of money in finance now and I’m taking a break (time off) from the exact same field.

Unlike yourself Abbie, I am not sitting around on my butt bragging about my accomplishments on Instagram, Facebook and a blog and we make a lot more money than you. I don’t force children to do work so myself and my husband can be slothful like you are.  Braggie you’re not the only one who has investments in stocks, bonds, ETFs and real estate... we do too. Guess what? Anything can happen. You can lose anything in a second. My husband or myself could die or become severely disabled. Do you not know pride goeth before the fall? Someone will always be smarter, richer, healthier, and more successful than you. Accept reality and take on responsibility as a parent of 8. 

No one should be boasting and bragging if they are content, humble, and “rooted in Christ”. Would Jesus be proud of your vanity and boasting while your followers, many who are new mothers, are sleep deprived and depressed? Nothing Braggie does is very Christ-like. She must be a miserable, sad person to constantly brag in the manner she does. I was taught to be respectful, humble, and became more humble after serving with those in need. I give to those in need without expectations or alternative motives. Braggie does not do one thing for serving her community despite it being her mega church’s motto.

Yes, mothers need to have lives outside of their children HOWEVER when you choose to birth EIGHT children, your time is LIMITED & your priorities must change to take on that responsibility. Braggie cannot live the life of a parent of only 2-4 or even 5 children. She must step up and own the fact that she and Shaun have 8 children.

If you spend 15 minutes or so reading Braggie’s Instagram and past blog posts, you will be alarmed. She is the textbook definition of someone with a Cluster B Personality disorder and likely other issues as she’s admitted to Trichtillomania (sp) which commonly has comorbitidies with disorders such as OCD and OCPD. Honestly, she is worse than Lori Alexander and it takes a lot to beat her craziness. Instead of calling her problems merely “sin”, she needs to get help and commit to changing her behavior not only for her well-being but for the welfare of her entire family.

On 11/7/2018 at 9:13 AM, unholypoledancer said:

Wha....what??? Does...does she think we CARE in that much DETAIL about how she decorates her house??

HAHA yes, she actually does. It is SO bizarre. In her latest Instagram post, she started it with “For those who wondered where we put the fuschia rug... it’s in our master bedroom.”.

2 hours ago, bea said:

Who the hell keeps track of other people’s rugs??

Maybe that rug really pulls the room together. ?

I've spent the last few days getting to know Abbie and the mental picture that keeps popping up in my mind are those little monkeys that dance around with a basket while the organ grinder plays. 

I don't think I've ever seen someone who is so careful to calculate and contrive...what? She's terribly busy at a whole bunch of nothing. Abbie has literally no substance beyond her public image. Her whole life revolves around carefully curating photos and cute sayings designed to show people how great Abbie is at everything. And it is glaringly apparent that Abbie wants to be everything all at once. 

Abbie's Insta and blog are not there to show us how great she is but instead serve to validate her emptiness. She's built a following that is there to make Abbie feel better about Abbie. I don't think she actually knows who she is. Instead she tries to be everything that she thinks people want to see. 

From my perspective, the heart of the matter is Abbie's mental illness. She has openly admitted and just as openly dismissed her very real issues. She has chosen instead to use her charismatic personally to validate her behavior and it seems to have worked with those around her. Her husband, mother and carefully chosen "friends" are at her service. 

Of course, the ones who suffer the most are Abbie's children. Her children are merely props. Any time they don't live up to Abbie's mental image, she's devasted and cries "big, fat, ugly tears". She has no problem using her children for her comfort like her oldest being a "3rd parent" or unironically using the hashtag "#sistermom".

I don't envy Abbie or her life. If she wasn't so self-aware, I might actually pity her.

Shout out to @luv2laugh for pulling me down this rabbit hole!

@SuperNova CLAP. CLAP. CLAP. :clap: :greetings-clappingyellow: ?

We definitely needed your insight here. Thank you. I have to say, out of all of the fundies, Braggie Abbie is the most fascinating to psychoanalyze, with Gwen Shamblin being a close second. I appreciate your insights on the Lori Alexander thread. Braggie Abbie is a younger version of her, isn't she? Braggie Abbie is almost a combination of Lori Alexander and a bit of Steve Maxwell, agree? However, I'd say that Braggie Abbie's behavior is typical of OCPD than Lori. Braggie Abbie appears to emotionally suffer more from criticism than Lori Alexander does. Braggie Abbie is as rigid & anal as Mr. No Fun Allowed Steve Maxwell. However, Braggie Abbie is more disgustingly dysfunctional as fun is definitely allowed when it comes to ONLY HERSELF.

I give Braggie Abbie credit today for listening to us. I posted here that it's disappointing that she NEVER captures photos of her kids having fun. Evidently, Braggie Abbie took my advice to heart:

173519299_BraggieAbbie1.thumb.JPG.42338aea7d6cf36edd5cee2725911073.JPG

Yes, Braggie Abbie, people would much rather see photos of your kids having fun together than of the countless of the selfies with your smirk or photo, the awkwardly (and bizarre) forced staging in your weekly family photo filled with sad eyes, and photos of your rugs featuring stories that have nothing to do with furniture. 

Braggie Abbie, unfortunately, is worse than Jill Duggar at Instagram & mommy-blogging.  Poor Jill is just so clueless but Braggie Abbie takes cluelessness to the extreme end of completely bizarre.

Braggie praises the Quiverfull lifestyle and preaches that mothers should stop talking negatively about motherhood and how exhausting it is. When people ask Braggie if it’s hard, or tell her it will be over soon, she says she tries to “throw them off” by responding with a BIG smile how much she enjoys it and likes having 8 kids.

Rather than be transparent or relatable, Braggie tries to “throw them off” as part of her mission to change the stereotype of motherhood to an evangelical, Christian Happy Go Lucky one.

The problem is that Braggie Abbie goes to desperate measure to hide the fact that she does not truly live the live of a mother of 8. She does not show the real nor the raw reality of what sacrifices bringing 8 children into the world means. Braggie desperately wants to prove to the world that she is still the hip, cool wife, and can live, not SIMPLY LIKE the other moms of 2-4, but BETTER. Braggie does this by not presenting honest facts, omitting the ugly and raw reality, telling half-truths, photoshop, and outsources the parenting (and cooking & cleaning) to the oldest & her mom so she can go on the Internet and brag about things. Braggie thinks that she some sort of role model to convert Christians to the Quiverfull life and that she needs to always play the part of being “on stage”.

Fundies are taught to always be “on stage” to serve as a representation of Christ otherwise, someone might not come to Christ because of their “bad example”. Braggie uses this method by trying SO hard to present her life as a “fairytale”, not only to boost her narcissistic ego but also to evangelize the Quiverfull way. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived