IGNORED

M Is for Mama 2: Quiverfull/Pinterest

Coconut Flan

17 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Not surprisingly, Abbie thinks that "sin nature" is responsible for all ills, and that Black Lives Matter is wrong that systemic racism is a thing. I mean, I hear this opinion from lots of people (certainly not all evangelicals) so she's not exactly on the fringe here. But still sad.

http://misformama.net/2016/07/brain-dump.html

I would actually be shocked if she had said the opposite. She’s the poster child for privileged. The only privilege she doesn’t have is male privilege. Many privileged people couldn’t recognize their own privilege if it smacked them across the face. Braggie is no exception. 

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EowynW said:

She wanted me to take off to watch the kids during the times her mom (single working mom of 3 still at home) and teenage little sister couldn't do it during their trip. She never even apologized at asking me to even consider giving up work time. I was so mind boggled and a little hurt too since I thought we were friends and women who understood and respected each other. 

She and my brother in law have miraculously escaped the daily grind us mere mortals live in. They both work from home/own their own business and do life 100% how they want when they want. She has never once had to go off and work a traditional job to keep the family afloat and for years he had an easy job too. Now that they're working as business owners they've morphed into a "cool hipsterish vibed vlogging family" that is going to teach others how to "succeed & have the life you want." Whatever the hell that means. I never have seen them once publically acknowledge all the people who provide them free childcare so they can "succeed." 

Sorry, I'm very tired today these people have really been making me stabby lately. My sister in law saw I was learning about astrophotography (with a 7 year old camera and cheap wide angle lens and limited time $$$ and energy to put in the late nights and travel that the hobby requires due to work and life) and now has gone off and "done it better" by taking an out of state camping trip with a $2200 brand new camera + lens and is now planning a trip to the state park Mr & I have been dying to go to when we get the $$ to go do it "even better." 

Yikes! I am so sorry. And awesome job standing up for yourself and calling a Spade a Spade.

This conversation reminds me of how upset people were when Obama said "you didn't build that (yourself)", where he forgot the "yourself" and how we all stand on the shoulders of giants, teachers drive on roads, etc. Some people got really butthurt about it. I bet that Braggie was one of those people.

There is no doubt that Abbie Halberstadt is a racist. She throws words around like "ghetto" as if it's funny and proudly includes it in a blog title. This is a woman who attends a church that places an emphasis on outreach to the community and she readily admits that she participates in NO SUCH THING.

See the church below:
Grace Community Church based in Tyler, TX (multiple campuses but it's at the Old Jacksonville Campus)
https://gcc.org/

7 hours ago, EowynW said:

that they're working as business owners they've morphed into a "cool hipsterish vibed vlogging family" that is going to teach others how to "succeed & have the life you want." Whatever the hell that means. 

*cough* Grift *cough*

@EowynW, sorry if that was catty. I am familiar with your posts about your life. I see how you and your DH struggle to survive and how much you have had to put off for when things are stable. It made me stabby on your behalf.

WARNING EXTREME SARCASM BELOW:

“Oooh Abbie, how on earth do you do it all? 8 kids and exercise?! I have two and can’t even squeeze in a home cooked dinner! Please share! #Goals!!!!”

5F8602B4-F670-476D-A050-3E0EDE586393.thumb.jpeg.234c9ca5b0babaa61cce66db097dfced.jpeg

Goals? Perhaps if we all had our own mothers, three older children, and “at-home” employed spouse playing the roles of “mother”, we’d be able to exercise 2 hours/day quite easily. If we all trained our children in the circus animal fashion you’re a fan of, we’d easily be able to tell them to go away and be quiet or plop them off with said “mothers” or gym center babysitters and it’d be a piece of cake. However, most of us have more respect for ourselves than you do.

WOW, guys. Abbie can say NO to donuts. Abbie clearly deserves a medal! 

On a random note Abbie, while you might’ve been an English (& Spanish) education major and I might’ve been a Biology (& Psychology) major, even I know that using SUPER SPECIAL big words to make you “appear” smarter than you actually are is a “rookie mistake”.  You’re such a dumb snob. 

How about you cut down your gym instructor hours and use that time to be a better mother and exercise with your kids by going out for family walks. Oops, you are too much of a self-centered person to do that. 

16 hours ago, EowynW said:

I think my Braggie loving and following sister in law is getting inspiration from her. She actually had the nerve to ask if I would take off work to help watch her 3 kids (4 & under) while she and my BIL waltz off to England and later on to Iceland. My family depends on my income to survive, woman. She & my BIL also rely on family for free childcare while they run their "successful photography business" that was just started last year but is somehow miraculously the sole supporting income for them. Of course she's careful not to mention they live in a low income housing and get gov' aide for their kids, all the while putting thousands into their equipment and now traveling out of the country. Oh and last week she was wishing they had a nanny for their kids! 

Oh Dear. Your sister-in-law sounds really annoying. Hang in there and don't let her put you down.

How does your brother feel about all this? Is he all on board or does he just tuck along? And what about the rest of your family?

@luv2laugh I read her Insta post you shared here and all I could think was "Lookatmelookatme I'mstillfit! Loooookkkkkk! More fit than YOU!"

Am I a horrible person for thinking that's exactly how she's trying to sound?

Oh wait, this is Braggie. So no, I'm not. ?

The smarmy selfie faces Braggie has recently been making are hilarious. She even tagged herself as #hiphomeschoolmom in one. Braggie is SO insecure and desperately afraid of getting older. If this b*tch could ACTUALLY afford it, she would be botoxing her face up by now given how afraid she is of getting “old”. I hope her body image issues aren’t influencing her daughters.

Braggie admitted in blogs from years ago that she’s so afraid of the F word (fat) that if she cannot exercise each day, she has a panic attack. She has wrote about having "nervous breakdowns" and "meltdowns" (her OWN words) if she cannot exercise for one day. She’s even said she has over-exercised in unhealthy ways and has neglected her kids to do so, again HER words. NOT NORMAL.

Braggie needs to grow up and act like the mother of EIGHT that she is. Seriously, she needs to take some darn responsibility of the lives she’s put out here and step it up. Braggie would rather enslave her entire family, mother, and anyone else in order to take care of her responsibility so she can focus on HERSELF. Grow up, clean up your own mess, and stop taking advantage of everyone so you can be a self-obsessed freak. I really believe Abbie needs professional help.

This is an article from around ~2013 where she was honest about her state of mind and admitted to having serious body image issues and over-exercising, besides her blog admitting she suffers from Trichotillomania. I said she was only honest once but it's actually been twice, both posted around 2013. You will not find any posts that are honest anymore. I suspect it's because she's gotten worse over the years and is desperately trying to hide what goes on in her household and in her mind. Read below:

My plan of action? Exercise every day except Sunday. Cut out sugar completely. And really watch my caloric intake.

Well, today is the day, and after weighing myself this morning, I am happy to announce that I failed miserably..... Yup. I “only” worked out 4 days last week for a total of 6 hours. And I consumed no fewer than three Coke floats, two cookies, a cupcake, and several brownies. That’s at least one treat every single day. Plus, if I ate dinner and was still hungry, I had seconds. And I didn’t make my weight goal.

Because not long after I got my “brilliant” blog post epiphany, another quieter idea pushed its way in. It said, “What about your readers who are a year or more removed from having their last baby and are still fighting a little (or maybe a lot) of fluff? What about the ones who have struggled with their weight since childhood? Will they be inspired by your’ ‘LOST IT ALL IN 6 MONTHS!’ trumpeting? Or will they only look at you and say, ‘Yippee for her. Kudos to the girl who has the energy and motivation to exercise. Hoozah for the girl who never has to worry about it.’”

And that same little voice reminded me of the girl from four years ago who was reduced to a quivering mass of self-loathing because of the tiniest sliver of a love handle showing through her shirt as she planned her outfits for an exercise convention. (Could you see it in those pictures? Because I sure can’t now).

It’s the same 8-year-old who despised herself for weighing 60 pounds when her fellow gymnasts were only 55 (I don’t even know what an 8-year-old is supposed to weigh, but that number is still emblazoned up on my brain, 22 years later).

It’s the 11-year-old who wore a juniors size 3 (this was before vanity-sizing took over the world) and insisted that her (nonexistent) hips were “huge” to anyone who would listen.

It’s the 22-year-old who half-starved herself for months before her wedding and sometimes neglected her fiancé in favor of gym-time, only to have her dress hang unbecomingly from her frame on her wedding day.

And it’s the 29-year-old mama of 3 little blessings who was borderline terrified of carrying multiples because of the weight she knew she would have to gain to keep them healthy inside her belly.

...And bit by bit, God pried my prideful fists that held so tightly to my body image open, one fingernail at a time. Until I didn’t mind the sight of my swollen belly and legs in the gym mirrors quite so much—even when they were juxtaposed against the flat, toned abs and non-cankles of my fellow instructors and participants.

I’m not going to lie to you, folks. I do not want to write this post. I have a very healthy and thriving “fear of man.” I don’t want you guys to think I’m an exercise-freak. Or vain. Or vapid. Even though I have been all of those things, and can be again in a hummingbird’s heartbeat if I don’t guard my own heart.

I don’t want you to hear about how, in the past, missing a workout could have panicked me and ruined my day or about how I simply wouldn’t eat any more at the end of the day if I’d “used up all my calories,” no matter how loudly my stomach grumbled. Or even about how—on the opposite end of the spectrum—I can eat at least two of every sweet thing on a table FULL of sugar, even though my tummy hurts, and I don’t even really want them, and I know I’ll hate myself that night.

Because every single one of those scenarios screams, “I have a problem.”

And most people that write blogs don’t do it because they want you to think they have a problem. Oh no. We’re the ones with the answers.

But I do have a problem. And it will plague me until the day I die. It’s called sin.

Still, since having the twins, I have yet to break down crying (about that) or feel sick to my stomach at the sight of my thighs. I only ever weigh myself when there’s a change in how my clothes fit. And I’ve exercised an average of 3-4 days a week, with no nervous breakdowns (or even worry) on the days when I can’t squeeze a workout in.So, am I trying to say I’m “cured?” No.

This is something I’ve struggled with from an early age. I don’t expect it will ever go away completely.

And I will always have to prayerfully search my heart for my motivation in eating (either too much or too little) and exercising (ditto).

http://misformama.net/2013/03/move-it-monday-enough.html

The problem is not simply 'sin", Abbie. The problem sounds like mental illness because this is not normal and you have a responsibility, especially as a parent of 8, to get help rather than continue to promote disordered behavior on your social media platforms. Along with the Trichotillomania that she says she will never be cured of, continuing to get pregnant and bring children into this environment is really irresponsible, IMO. Abbie does a lot of things the are irresponsible and enables her unhealthy behaviors. 

Oh I bet she will get some Botox in the future. Probably as she gets closer to 40. I bet 40 is going to kick her ass. Poor kids. They will have to deal with psycho mommy as she ages and flips out about it.

2 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

The smarmy selfie faces Braggie has recently been making are hilarious. She even tagged herself as #hiphomeschoolmom in one. Braggie is SO insecure and desperately afraid of getting older. If this b*tch could ACTUALLY afford it, she would be botoxing her face up by now given how afraid she is of getting “old”. I hope her body image issues aren’t influencing her daughters.

Braggie admitted in blogs from years ago that she’s so afraid of the F word (fat) that if she cannot exercise each day, she has a panic attack. She has wrote about having "nervous breakdowns" and "meltdowns" (her OWN words) if she cannot exercise for one day. She’s even said she has over-exercised in unhealthy ways and has neglected her kids to do so, again HER words. NOT NORMAL.

Braggie needs to grow up and act like the mother of EIGHT that she is. Seriously, she needs to take some darn responsibility of the lives she’s put out here and step it up. Braggie would rather enslave her entire family, mother, and anyone else in order to take care of her responsibility so she can focus on HERSELF. Grow up, clean up your own mess, and stop taking advantage of everyone so you can be a self-obsessed freak. I really believe Abbie needs professional help.

This is an article from around ~2013 where she was honest about her state of mind and admitted to having serious body image issues and over-exercising, besides her blog admitting she suffers from Trichotillomania. I said she was only honest once but it's actually been twice, both posted around 2013. You will not find any posts that are honest anymore. I suspect it's because she's gotten worse over the years and is desperately trying to hide what goes on in her household and in her mind. Read below:

http://misformama.net/2013/03/move-it-monday-enough.html

The problem is not simply 'sin", Abbie. The problem sounds like mental illness because this is not normal and you have a responsibility, especially as a parent of 8, to get help rather than continue to promote disordered behavior on your social media platforms. Along with the Trichotillomania that she says she will never be cured of, continuing to get pregnant and bring children into this environment is really irresponsible, IMO. Abbie does a lot of things the are irresponsible and enables her unhealthy behaviors. 

These words of hers are the only time I've actually felt bad for this woman. Body image issues are really difficult to deal with and take over every waking minute when they are as bad as she describes. She needs help, but she is manhandling and pushing through and putting other innocent people in the way, which is so sad and horrible. 

Here's a thought Braggie: STOP HAVING SO MANY KIDS. I mean I love my daughter and I want another child. But know when to call it quits. Weight issues, wrinkles, lack of sleep and making sure everyone is taken care of (which you don't do anyway) isn't going to get better with the more children you add on.

Now I myself wouldn't mind a private home gym and a nice chemical peel, but that's not the be-all-end-all of life. I mean if her looks are that important to her, fine, but stop having children. That's not going to improve the way you look and frankly, if it was that much of a struggle then, it's selfish to continue to have them. 

Prayer alone isn't going to help in a case like this. That's nothing to be ashamed of, but I know in fundie circle, prayer cures everything. 

I agree @luv2laugh , I don't think those kids are going to be in for a good time when mama turns the big 40. 

I feel so sad for the twins. One day, the kids are going to see the blog in its entirety, and the twins in particular will be reminded constantly that she never wanted them the way they are.

1 hour ago, sleepy_doggos said:

These words of hers are the only time I've actually felt bad for this woman. Body image issues are really difficult to deal with and take over every waking minute when they are as bad as she describes. She needs help, but she is manhandling and pushing through and putting other innocent people in the way, which is so sad and horrible. 

I also felt sorry for her in her post on revealing her diagnosis of Trichotillomania along with the post on her admitting to suffering from a body image disorder. These were the only two times Braggie has been honest with her struggles with her audience and Braggie even admits she "I do not want to post this...because it means I have a problem...I do not want you to think I am an exercise freak, vain, vapid..." and that "You didn't notice it because I did not want you to notice it". You see, much like Trump, Narcissists do NOT want you to feel sorry for them. Narcissists have a phobia of being seen as "weak"

However, since these admissions in 2013, as well as admitting "stress" is a trigger for her disorders, she has gone on to have 3 more children. She has continued to post selfies of her body. She has continued to increase her workouts and the amount of gym classes she teaches. She has continued to blog and spend hours editing her photos despite admitting she has neglected her children and husband to do so. In fact, she's admitted she exercises to the point of neglecting her family as well lest she have a "nervous breakdown", her own words. She has admitted she has issues with over-exercising. It is shameful that she knows she has major problems and has continued to be irresponsible by not managing them. Abbie is not some 20 yr old single girl living life for herself. Abbie has an obligation to get help and change these unhealthy behaviors for her 8 children.

Abbie has simply brushed off her mental issues as something she will never be cured of and always have rather than, from what we know, receive professional help. She's taken absolutely no responsibility to change her behavior over the years and from what I've observed, has gotten worse.

Abbie simply does not want to live the life of a mother of 8 children. She wants the "passel" of children to keep up the appearance of what she thinks is "perfection" but she does not want to parent them. Abbie wants the attention, praise, and fawning of people all around her wondering "How can you do it all?" Those comments give Abbie life and fuel her narcissistic ego. Abbie needs to grow up, get help, and take on the responsibilities that she chose to bring into the world.

Abbie has admitted to being jealous of others, "competitive", and using her blog as an accountability to keeping her home clean & designed, keeping her appearance and "goal weight up", keeping up her DIY projects, etc. She has even said she is a gym instructor not only for free gym perks but because it serves as another "accountability partner" to stick to her "goal weight".

Abbie is irresponsible and evidently is refusing to get help to change these unhealthy behaviors. Braggie may not want to change  and not want to learn healthy coping mechanisms but she is the mother of 8 kids and something needs to change. 

You know, some women go through early menopause. I did at 42, so did my mother. It could happen to Braggie.

Can you imagine the hell she'll raise when she's no longer fertile?  If she isn't able to get pregnant will she lose her identity?

I really don't get how the two oldest boys babysit all the 20? kids of braggie's gym class. What kind of mother leaves their cihld in the care of a 12 year old?

One time, as an adult, I watched about 10 kids of young ages during a special Easter service for another church. The kids were watching a movie but it was really overwhelming! 

I can see Braggie having a serious breakdown & pulling an Erika Shupe by throwing all the kids into public school one day. I also can see Shaun asking that she go back to working as a part-time teacher, just like her mother did when Braggie got older. Braggie worked part-time as a teacher, I believe until the birth of Della, her third child. Braggie will likely fight that as like Lori Alexander, she is a "princess". Braggie does not want to work and I think she's fearful that she'll have to when she's no longer fertile.

8 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Braggie does not want to work and I think she's fearful that she'll have to when she's no longer fertile.

Does she not consider teaching her classes work? I suppose for her these fall under the realm of "accountability".  I'm sure she's too selfish to make sure her students have correct form, are stretching properly etc and this is all "bonus workouts" for her.

I wonder why fundie women are so scared of working. I saw this in a lot of women growing up, and I myself was raised in a fundie family with an unconscious anxiety about working as a female. 

56 minutes ago, EowynW said:

I wonder why fundie women are so scared of working. I saw this in a lot of women growing up, and I myself was raised in a fundie family with an unconscious anxiety about working as a female. 

I was raised far from fundie (standard Catholic in the ‘50s and ‘60s), and though my mom was a SAHM, she often spoke about the job she had at a large insurance company. She started at 16 right after graduating from high school, and worked her way up from mail clerk to executive secretary (a big deal in the ‘40s), only quitting after 10 years because she was pregnant with me and had had two miscarriages earlier that year. The only “scary” thing she ever mentioned was venturing into Manhattan the day after graduation, looking for a job. She told me about the personal skills and confidence she developed as she worked her way up.  I also saw her selling real estate with my dad when he opened a small realty business as a side gig.

And I was STILL terrified at the concept of getting a job—but I did it anyway. I lived in my parents’ home till I got married at age 20, still in college, and never had to support myself 100% till I was 27 and going through a divorce as the mom of a year-old baby. That made me grow up and step up damn fast.

4 hours ago, Hane said:

I was raised far from fundie (standard Catholic in the ‘50s and ‘60s), and though my mom was a SAHM, she often spoke about the job she had at a large insurance company. She started at 16 right after graduating from high school, and worked her way up from mail clerk to executive secretary (a big deal in the ‘40s), only quitting after 10 years because she was pregnant with me and had had two miscarriages earlier that year. The only “scary” thing she ever mentioned was venturing into Manhattan the day after graduation, looking for a job. She told me about the personal skills and confidence she developed as she worked her way up.  I also saw her selling real estate with my dad when he opened a small realty business as a side gig.

And I was STILL terrified at the concept of getting a job—but I did it anyway. I lived in my parents’ home till I got married at age 20, still in college, and never had to support myself 100% till I was 27 and going through a divorce as the mom of a year-old baby. That made me grow up and step up damn fast.

But you did it.  You understood that this was a necessary adjustment and stepped out of your comfort zone.  You had the confidence.  

I think they may feel that they stand to lose everything--if they work outside the home, they fail as a wife and mother.  Their husband will cheat, their kids will *gasp* have an individual thought, she would be ostracized by their entire community because the woman "went against God's command."  Being cut off from everything and everyone they've ever known is a powerful force.  They've been indoctrinated into believing that going outside that circle will lead to eternal damnation.

However, some of them (Braggie, Lori Alexander, Jill R) just feel they are way too good to work.  That's for everyone under them.  They see themselves as God's super-speshul snowflakes and only THEY have the right answer.  Because, after all, God asks their advice...ugh.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived