IGNORED

M Is for Mama 2: Quiverfull/Pinterest

Coconut Flan

I like the color of the house. Admittedly I like whimsical looking houses and am not an expert in anything design wise. It kind of looks like an overgrown bungalow.
I'm sure if there was more love in the house (not jeub style love but real love) the details of her house wouldn't matter at all to us viewers.
Hopefully the kids have joy in their lives and find places they feel safe and loved unconditionally. I hid from my mother a lot as a kid and honestly made really fun memories. Was it perfect? No. But I enjoyed parts of my life more because I had somewhere else to go, whether it was outside playing with my brother or inside tucked away with a book.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, zeebaneighba said:

I have similar issues. Sometimes I wish they didn't need me QUITE so much.

Though I will admit it can be amusing when @Shoobydoo drunk texts/calls me.

Love you too, Ma.  :wink-kitty:

On 1/6/2019 at 7:07 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

My parents don’t hear much from me, lol. Before I had kids, I barely called or texted them. They would call me to see if I was still alive. I do send them pictures and messages more now that I have kids. They love the pictures. 

I follow the Awesome/Terrible rule: I'll call my parents if something awesome happens, or if something terrible happens. Otherwise, they can safely assume I'm alive and well. I do sometimes FB message just to chat, and my parents do like to Skype every once in a while (and my mom always wants a proof of life message when she knows I'm traveling), but we're not in contact every single day. We don't really need to be. 

My intention was not to come across as “snobby” with my prior post but since Braggie lives off of making people believe she lives a gilded lifestyle, it’s best to stick to facts.

Braggie Abbie loves to pretend she is something that she’s not. She feeds off of her followers believing she is a loving wife, put together mom of eight kids, in shape despite birthing all eight kids, and a hustler who manages to teach fitness classes, own a business, blog, a frugal decorator, and a DIY house builder. It’s a lie. Yes, there are grains of truth but she’s narcissistically misrepresenting herself through omission, exaggeration, and fabrication of her life to make it appear she’s something she is not. 

On 1/6/2019 at 5:00 PM, luv2laugh said:

mansion.thumb.JPG.765949816933832a5a04c4e3363c158b.JPG

Honestly, Braggie’s house looks cheap, awkward, and ugly to me. The exterior lacks quality and isn't made of pretty stone or brick. It's obvious that she desperately attempts to make her house appear something it's not.

The above mansion is located in a wealthy suburb. The exterior is gorgeous and made of high quality.

3 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I follow the Awesome/Terrible rule: I'll call my parents if something awesome happens, or if something terrible happens. Otherwise, they can safely assume I'm alive and well. I do sometimes FB message just to chat, and my parents do like to Skype every once in a while (and my mom always wants a proof of life message when she knows I'm traveling), but we're not in contact every single day. We don't really need to be. 

My dad and I typically stick to texting as it's apparently a genetic trait he gave me to despise talking on the phone. Over Christmas, he assigned my sister and I code names to sign off our texts with so he knows we weren't kidnapped or taken and someone else is responding with our phones. Bless that man's heart, honestly. 

I have to say I like the exterior color of Braggie’s house, mainly because the vast majority of McMansions in my region are either gray or beige.  Once in a while there’s one in green or barn red that stands out amid the blandness* and it makes me happy.  So I like Braggie Blue.  

But the rest of the house—the size, style, layout, mashup decor—just don’t do anything for me.

*my sincere apologies to everyone who has and/or loves a gray/beige house.  It’s only differing tastes, so i’m not insulting anyone’s preferences, just specifying my own.  My own house is yellow with brown trim; nothing I would choose, but it came that way.  I deal with it because it’s not feasible to change it just for looks.

3 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

oh how I wish my kids would do that...they do awesome/terrible/can't make a decision/just wanna shoot the shit with mom/whatever. The messages from #1 daughter usually start "hey momma" or "guess what momma" or "mom, mom, momma, mom, MOTHER". #1 son starts with "hey mom". #2 son will start with "mama", "mama" "MOM" "MOTHER" "SHE WHO SPAWNED ME" "she devil" "satan"...he ain't right. The greeting used depends on how fast I answer the text/messenger. His ring tone for me is the Imperial March from Star Wars. 

The spawn regress to spoiled 12 year olds when talking to mama. 

4 hours ago, Casserole said:

My dad and I typically stick to texting as it's apparently a genetic trait he gave me to despise talking on the phone. Over Christmas, he assigned my sister and I code names to sign off our texts with so he knows we weren't kidnapped or taken and someone else is responding with our phones. Bless that man's heart, honestly. 

I loathe phone calls. I'm great at texting and emailing, but ugh I hate talking on the phone. I could never do phone canvassing for a political campaign; I'd be so anxious the entire time. 

3 hours ago, catlady said:

I have to say I like the exterior color of Braggie’s house, mainly because the vast majority of McMansions in my region are either gray or beige.  Once in a while there’s one in green or barn red that stands out amid the blandness* and it makes me happy.  So I like Braggie Blue.  

But the rest of the house—the size, style, layout, mashup decor—just don’t do anything for me.

*my sincere apologies to everyone who has and/or loves a gray/beige house.  It’s only differing tastes, so i’m not insulting anyone’s preferences, just specifying my own.  My own house is yellow with brown trim; nothing I would choose, but it came that way.  I deal with it because it’s not feasible to change it just for looks.

I’m not criticizing the color as anyone can repaint it. However, the house has not been built well and appears “flimsy”. People will not consider an oversized house, built with low quality materials, an investment compared to sturdier built, high quality homes. To be brutally honest, it screams bad investment.

I don’t want anyone to take it personally if their home is built with materials similar to Braggie Abbie’s. A smaller home built with cheap material is a better investment as many consumers would have a need to buy it. However, this case is absolutely not true when it comes to using cheap materials to build an oversized home in the middle of nowhere.

I've been trying to read more of her blog before I post but wow. I've never seen so much bragging (and fake humility) in one poster. Her "conversational" writing style drives me insane, especially the way she says "natch." I can't stand the way she seems to think she's the greatest in every possible way and doesn't seem to realize how extraordinarily privileged she is. Ugh. I'm not sure how far I can get in trying to catch up/learn more about her.

5 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I've been trying to read more of her blog before I post but wow. I've never seen so much bragging (and fake humility) in one poster. Her "conversational" writing style drives me insane, especially the way she says "natch." I can't stand the way she seems to think she's the greatest in every possible way and doesn't seem to realize how extraordinarily privileged she is. Ugh. I'm not sure how far I can get in trying to catch up/learn more about her.

Did you see her blog post on making a “ghetto” DIY project? Read threads 1 and 2. Make sure to bring a barf bag.?

4 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I can't stand the way she seems to think she's the greatest in every possible way and doesn't seem to realize how extraordinarily privileged she is. Ugh. I'm not sure how far I can get in trying to catch up/learn more about her.

I don't know what is worse - her inability to realize her privilege or that all her leghumpers don't see past that facade!

2 hours ago, ophelia said:

I don't know what is worse - her inability to realize her privilege or that all her leghumpers don't see past that facade!

My main issue with her is that she apparently loves feeling superior to everyone else.  She purposefully makes her leghumpers feel inadequate and she feeds off of their compliments.  She can’t even praise her kids without mentioning one of their faults. 

I don’t get how her leghumpers don’t realize how fake she is.

11 hours ago, catlady said:

What’s nice about having a beige/gray/white home is that you can add some color in cheaper ways. It’s not too expensive to paint your door a bright and fun color. And then you can paint some accessories to match. Like pots or outdoor pillows. Our house is stone and white siding. So I brighten it up with a bright door color and bright porch furniture. But I also like some brightly colored siding too. I like yellow houses with black/charcoal accents. Our neighbors have a yellow house with black shutters, door, and charcoal roof. It’s really cute. I think the color on Braggie’s home would be perfect for a little cape cod. That would be just the best. 

7 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I’m not criticizing the color as anyone can repaint it. However, the house has not been built well and appears “flimsy”. People will not consider an oversized house, built with low quality materials, an investment compared to sturdier built, high quality homes. To be brutally honest, it screams bad investment.

I don’t want anyone to take it personally if their home is built with materials similar to Braggie Abbie’s. A smaller home built with cheap material is a better investment as many consumers would have a need to buy it. However, this case is absolutely not true when it comes to using cheap materials to build an oversized home in the middle of nowhere.

Why must this house be an investment? not everybody builds or buy houses for an investment. Many people just build or buy them because they need it and plan to live there forever.

If I had few money and was planning to have 10 or more kids, I would probably built the biggest house I could. Maybe not the best quality, but at least with enough room for everybody. The lack of space is an absolute nighmare for families with several children. Once the kids will be all adults, Braggie and hubs can just close the second floor and live downstairs. Or even sell it to another quiverful family who needs a big house in the country.

Of course Braggie's house is tacky. And poorly built. Probably it's cold in winter and hot in summer... but at least they are not crowded. I think about Shupes at their home, Rodrigues at the RV or Anderson's hell and I'm sure all of them would prefer a bigger house than anything else.

And of course the house plan could be much better. But how many people can built a house themselves? I think they did what they could with a tight budget and it's OK. I'm unable to built anything and I admire that. I don't like Braggie at all, but I think she could brag about building her own house. At least, it would be a genuine reason, instead of bragging about slavering her sons!

Ugh. Abbie's back again today bragging on her giant 35 dollar vintage mirror. It's a hideously overblown Hollywood Regency style. I love mid century. My whole house is mid century, it's my passion. But I despise Hollywood Regency style. Gilded plaster tables, cheesy cherubs, and elaborate scrollwork in blow mold plastic. Ick. I wouldn't pay 5 dollars for that mirror but to each their own I guess.

17 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Why must this house be an investment? not everybody builds or buy houses for an investment. Many people just build or buy them because they need it and plan to live there forever.

If I had few money and was planning to have 10 or more kids, I would probably built the biggest house I could. Maybe not the best quality, but at least with enough room for everybody. The lack of space is an absolute nighmare for families with several children. Once the kids will be all adults, Braggie and hubs can just close the second floor and live downstairs. Or even sell it to another quiverful family who needs a big house in the country.

Of course Braggie's house is tacky. And poorly built. Probably it's cold in winter and hot in summer... but at least they are not crowded. I think about Shupes at their home, Rodrigues at the RV or Anderson's hell and I'm sure all of them would prefer a bigger house than anything else.

And of course the house plan could be much better. But how many people can built a house themselves? I think they did what they could with a tight budget and it's OK. I'm unable to built anything and I admire that. I don't like Braggie at all, but I think she could brag about building her own house. At least, it would be a genuine reason, instead of bragging about slavering her sons!

The plan isn't so much "could be better" as "pray there is never a fire". In the layout a few pages ago, you can see I think two bedrooms plus A NURSERY on the second floor that have no escape routes except through at least two other rooms. And if they DIY'd the electricity and heating...

Building on the cheap costs lives. 

19 hours ago, ophelia said:

Is it legal to build like that in Texas? 

I'm wondering that too! Here in Ontario every bedroom must have two exits (though windows often count). Of course that doesn't stop people illegally putting bedrooms in basements with no/small windows.

I'm wondering that too! Here in Ontario every bedroom must have two exits (though windows often count). Of course that doesn't stop people illegally putting bedrooms in basements with no/small windows.
Where I live in the Midwest, it isn't "illegal," but you can't call it a bedroom. It'd be a "den" or"office" or "nursery." And agencies like foster care, etc wouldn't allow it to be used as such. But it's not illegal.

In New York, not only does every bedroom have to have two exits(door and window), but also a smoke alarm.

If I'm wrong, please school me! Just sharing what I was told and curious to know if it's at all accurate. (It was also my impression from when we considered getting away from the cold and moving to Texas). 

I'm from northern Minnesota and have friends from here who lived down in Texas for several years. They said houses in Texas were built much cheaper than in MN. Just because people building there don't have to build them to insulate against -20 degree weather. They also said the houses seemed "disposable". The area in MN they were house hunting in, they found a house built in the 1940s and were happy to have found such a "new" home. :) In Texas, their experience was lots of houses from the 1960s and newer. They didn't think they were built to last. 

Also, we've built our own house, remodeled a couple dumps, and are building again. We've done this in 3 different counties. Every one has different building codes, but what is legally considered a bedroom and fire codes are pretty standard everywhere I believe. 

On 1/7/2019 at 8:40 PM, feministxtian said:

oh how I wish my kids would do that...they do awesome/terrible/can't make a decision/just wanna shoot the shit with mom/whatever. The messages from #1 daughter usually start "hey momma" or "guess what momma" or "mom, mom, momma, mom, MOTHER". #1 son starts with "hey mom". #2 son will start with "mama", "mama" "MOM" "MOTHER" "SHE WHO SPAWNED ME" "she devil" "satan"...he ain't right. The greeting used depends on how fast I answer the text/messenger. His ring tone for me is the Imperial March from Star Wars. 

The spawn regress to spoiled 12 year olds when talking to mama. 

6 hours ago, Off the Rails said:

If I'm wrong, please school me! Just sharing what I was told and curious to know if it's at all accurate. (It was also my impression from when we considered getting away from the cold and moving to Texas). 

I'm from northern Minnesota and have friends from here who lived down in Texas for several years. They said houses in Texas were built much cheaper than in MN. Just because people building there don't have to build them to insulate against -20 degree weather. They also said the houses seemed "disposable". The area in MN they were house hunting in, they found a house built in the 1940s and were happy to have found such a "new" home. :) In Texas, their experience was lots of houses from the 1960s and newer. They didn't think they were built to last. 

Also, we've built our own house, remodeled a couple dumps, and are building again. We've done this in 3 different counties. Every one has different building codes, but what is legally considered a bedroom and fire codes are pretty standard everywhere I believe. 

They really aren't that "cheap". We just don't have to think about the winters that you guys have there. The houses here aren't rickety hovels here, folks lol. 

I live in a mid 1950s house. My area has a lot of old sturdy houses. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived