IGNORED

Dillards 67: It Came From A Can

Georgiana

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cranberry Sauce à la Bart

Spoiler

When I do a big turkey dinner I usually make cranberry sauce from scratch, but every now and then I'll pick up a rotisserie chicken and eat it with the canned stuff, Stove Top stuffing, and Swiss Chalet sauce. There's something comforting about it, and it saves me seversl hours in the kitchen.

46 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Stove Top stuffing,

I will never slam anyone for canned food, but THIS? Dear god. Stove Top stuffing??? 

?

5 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I will never slam anyone for canned food, but THIS? Dear god. Stove Top stuffing??? 

?

Ummmm, it's delicious lol

I have to get in on this cranberry sauce discussion. Yes, I make a cranberry salad with jello, grapes, whole cranberries, nuts, and a lovely topping made of mayonnaise and marshmallow fluff. That's usually reserved for Christmas/Thanksgiving.

But canned cranberry sauce? Bring it on. It's something the whole Four family will eat. 

Did your mother slice it? Mine did, so thin you could read the paper through it, I swear. Since everyone likes it, I've been known to cut it into slabs, and if they want more, I open another can!

How about you?

40 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

?

It is really good! I haven't had it in forever but I did love it. 

14 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It is really good! I haven't had it in forever but I did love it. 

3 minutes ago, MsSaylor said:

Yeah Stove Top is whats up.

My people!

Moving to a country where cranberries are hard to find was a great thing to happen to me.... red currants cooked with spices and orange juice is my new fave.

I want to love stovetop stuffing but I need those dry crunchy parts in my life!

2 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Cranberry Sauce à la Bart

Reveal hidden contents

When I do a big turkey dinner I usually make cranberry sauce from scratch, but every now and then I'll pick up a rotisserie chicken and eat it with the canned stuff, Stove Top stuffing, and Swiss Chalet sauce. There's something comforting about it, and it saves me seversl hours in the kitchen.

I do something very similar - a locally owned market prepares a few hot dishes each day and on the rotation is turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc.  Once the weather cools down, I'll just pick up some turkey, stuffing, potatoes and a can of cranberry sauce.  Total comfort and carb overload, but I figure once every couple of months is okay.

ETA:  Yes, we always sliced our canned cranberry sauce when I was growing up.  Now, if it's just me, I will just scoop out whatever amount I want from the can because I'm not doing fancy if it's just me.

Confession time - When I was messing around with canned chicken to see if it was food-worthy I mixed one 12oz can of chicken with one box of prepared stuffing mix and a small jar of turkey gravy. It pains me to admit that it was pretty tasty. As a casserole with some veggies on the side it might be something I would serve as an informal meal. ...I've got to stop reading Jill's recipes, she's a bad influence on me.

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

It came from a can, it was put there by a man.

1 hour ago, MsSaylor said:

In a factory downtown

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

If I had my way I'd eat peaches every day. 

25 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

Moving to a country where cranberries are hard to find was a great thing to happen to me.... red currants cooked with spices and orange juice is my new fave.

For a minute @NakedKnees , I thought you were continuing the song from above and changing the theme from peaches to cranberries :pb_lol: i literally sung "moving to a country where cranberries are hard to find" in the same tune as "moving to the country, gonna eat me a lotta peaches"...

I need a nap.

1 hour ago, elf1590 said:

Ummmm, it's delicious lol

I agree. I loved Stove Top. My mom would "tart" it up with some drippings and celery...... 

9 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

i literally sung "moving to a country where cranberries are hard to find" in the same tune as "moving to the country, gonna eat me a lotta peaches"...

So did I!

15 minutes ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Confession time - When I was messing around with canned chicken to see if it was food-worthy I mixed one 12oz can of chicken with one box of prepared stuffing mix and a small jar of turkey gravy. It pains me to admit that it was pretty tasty. As a casserole with some veggies on the side it might be something I would serve as an informal meal. ...I've got to stop reading Jill's recipes, she's a bad influence on me.

I make a dish when it gets cold out which I love..... fresh chicken cut in chunks, a bag of frozen mixed veg, top with cream of chicken soup  mixed with sour cream (or in our case plain yogurt), I top it with Stove Top and bake. I could eat the entire pan of it. Its comfort food and isn't so bad since the chicken is fresh and the veg is frozen. 

35 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

ETA:  Yes, we always sliced our canned cranberry sauce when I was growing up.  Now, if it's just me, I will just scoop out whatever amount I want from the can because I'm not doing fancy if it's just me.

Ugh, I can't handle when people do that!! There's something about eating the thin slices that makes it taste better, it just isn't right served that way in appearance or texture.

(Yes, I am ridiculously picky about minor details of my eating habits)

26 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

For a minute @NakedKnees , I thought you were continuing the song from above and changing the theme from peaches to cranberries :pb_lol: i literally sung "moving to a country where cranberries are hard to find" in the same tune as "moving to the country, gonna eat me a lotta peaches"...

I need a nap.

Hahahaha, that's fantastic, but you overestimate my skill level ?

I haven't been eating much lately, but dang now I'm hungry. And craving Thanksgiving dinner. ?

I've typed it before, and I'll  type it again.  For being raised to be 'keepers of the home", the Duggar girls can't cook worth a (insert word of your choice here). Jill doesn't cook, she opens cans and heats the contents.   I know many many full time working college educated moms who are much better in the kitchen.   Honestly, I think it comes down to the fact that none of them know what good food is.  They also have absolutely no creativity in them. 

Way to go Arkansas! There’s hope for it yet.  :cracking-up: 

On a less important note, I love green giant canned peas.

I vaguely remember seeing Delia Smith bringing out a how to Cheat at cooking book a few years ago, she had originally published it in the 19 70s. I looked on her website and she has some recipes from the book, they look nice and a lot of the ingredients are canned. Jill should take a look on her website. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived