IGNORED

Saudis/MBS/Khashoggi/Yemen/Kushner

Howl

Saudi sisters found dead after seeking asylum:

The day before the bodies were discovered, their mother told detectives that she had received a call from an official at the Saudi Arabian embassy, ordering the family to leave the US because her daughters had applied for political asylum, New York police said on Tuesday.

Saudi Arabia’s consulate general in New York said in a statement that it had “appointed an attorney to follow the case closely”. It said embassy officials in Washington had contacted the family and “extended its support and aid in this trying time”. It added that the sisters were students “accompanying their brother in Washington”.

More at https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/31/tala-rotana-farea-new-york-police-investigate-deaths-saudi-arabia-sisters-bound-together

This seems awfully coincidental.

• Sad 4
  • WTF 3

I was looking at some articles from the Guardian over the last 10 days or so.   When Pompeo was in Riyadh he pressured the Saudis to allow Khashoggi's oldest son (the one forced to listen to a fake apology from MBS) and the son's family, to leave Saudi Arabia for the US. It turns out that the son has dual US/Saudi citizenship and they are now (hopefully) safe.  Khashoggi's son leaves Saudi Arabia as prosecutor says killing was planned   Excerpt: 

The eldest son of the murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi has left Saudi Arabia, sources close to the family have said, as the Saudi public prosecutor’s office suggested for the first time that the writer’s killing was premeditated, contradicting the country’s previous claims.

Salah Khashoggi’s ashen face struck a chord with millions worldwide this week after he was summoned to receive condolences from Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman – the man many believe ordered the assassination of his father.

The younger Khashoggi, who holds dual Saudi-US citizenship, has been barred from travelling outside the kingdom in recent months. He left the country for the US with his family late on Wednesday.

The US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, had discussed Khashoggi’s son’s situation during his recent visit to Riyadh and “made it clear” to Saudi leaders that Washington wanted him free to leave the kingdom, the state department spokesman Robert Palladino said on Thursday.

Also, I missed that the Saudi's have a designated sacrificial lamb -- a general very close to MBS,  but a commoner who rose through the ranks, and not part of the royal family.  This was from back on Oct. 19, again from the Guardian: 

Saudi prince pins blame for Khashoggi death on favoured generaTrump administration believes blaming Ahmed al-Assiri for death of journalist could offer way out of the crisis

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Who has barrels of acid readily available for acute dissolving needs?

Walter White.

I know it is not funny and I should not make a joke. I really hate this.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 2

10 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Who has barrels of acid readily available for acute dissolving needs? Is this a common thing they do?

Mafia killers used to do that. Nice people /s

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Who has barrels of acid readily available for acute dissolving needs?

The same people who bring 15 guys and a bone saw to a "discussion." 

• Upvote 5

On 10/31/2018 at 11:04 AM, AmazonGrace said:

Saudi sisters found dead after seeking asylum:

More at https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/31/tala-rotana-farea-new-york-police-investigate-deaths-saudi-arabia-sisters-bound-together

This seems awfully coincidental.

Some are trying to push the narrative that this was a suicide. I don’t get how they taped themselves together and jumped in the water 

• Upvote 2

Exclusive: Khashoggi sons issue emotional appeal for the return of their father's body

Not behind a paywall, go ahead and click.   The sons, who are in their early 30s, are scouring the news for any details of their father's death, they have no inside source.  They hope that their father's death was quick and painless, and they simply want his remains so he can be buried with the rest of their family.  Very touching.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Saudi's are trying to save face, at the cost of 5 lives.

• WTF 1

On 11/2/2018 at 10:18 PM, onekidanddone said:

Some are trying to push the narrative that this was a suicide. I don’t get how they taped themselves together and jumped in the water 

I have some sad experiences to report.  I worked for many years at a Big State University with thousands of international graduate students. These students were often doctoral students whose programs, from coursework, then oral exams, research, on to completing the dissertation, could take up to 10 years or so.  Then they might be able to get a status for a few years that allowed them to live and work in the US -- I think it was called Optional Practical Training.   Whatever the timeline, the clock would tick down at some point and they faced returning to their home country.  Some of these students each year would choose suicide as a viable option, rather than return to their (often repressive) home country.  I'm sure more than a few faced arranged marriages.  

These girls did say they would rather die than return to live in Saudi Arabia, so I would have to consider a bizarre suicide pact as an option. 

• Sad 6

This has brought up that Misha Flynn may have made more of an effort than previously thought to KIDNAP Gulen for a huge payout.  Now, where were we? This sums up the dynamic: 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 4

Shit hitting fan.  CIA confirms that MBS ordered Khashoggi murder assassination.  This is the tip of the iceberg and my sense is that all sorts of scurrying is going on in the background, (arms sales, oil prices, Jared). Saudis apparently HATE this type of exposure and hate anything that makes them look bad.  Well, except the death by famine of millions of Yemenis. They don't seem too f**king concerned about that. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Heather Nauert must be losing her soul too. 

"We know Saudis murdered Khashoggi but there are several unanswered questions such as how we can make money out of this." 

• WTF 5
  • I Agree 1

From the WaPo editorial board: "Trump slanders Khashoggi and betrays American values"

Spoiler

PRESIDENT TRUMP on Tuesday confirmed what his administration has been signaling all along: It will stand behind Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman even if he ordered the brutal murder and dismemberment of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. In a crude statement punctuated with exclamation points, Mr. Trump sidestepped a CIA finding that the crown prince was behind the killing; casually slandered Mr. Khashoggi, who was one of the Arab world’s most distinguished journalists; and repeated gross falsehoods and exaggerations about the benefits of the U.S. alliance with the kingdom. Mr. Trump has betrayed American values in service to what already was a bad bet on the 33-year-old prince.

As with Russian President Vladi­mir Putin’s interference in the 2016 election, Mr. Trump is justifying his affinity for a brutal and reckless leader by disregarding the findings of the U.S. intelligence community. The Post reported Friday that the CIA has concluded with “high confidence” — a rating it does not apply lightly — that Mohammed bin Salman ordered the murder of Mr. Khashoggi, who while living in self-imposed exile in Virginia, wrote columns for The Post that were moderately critical of the crown prince.

Mr. Trump’s response is to grudgingly acknowledge that “it could very well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic event” before adding “maybe he did and maybe he didn’t!” He declares the truth unknowable and thus irrelevant: “We may never know all of the facts surrounding the murder.”

In fact, the truth about Mr. Khashoggi’s death is not only knowable but largely known. Audio recordings in the CIA’s possession record his actual killing as well as phone calls from the hit team to Mohammed bin Salman’s close aides. Five members of the team have been identified as probable members of the crown prince’s personal security team.

While discounting these facts, Mr. Trump bases his continued backing for the regime on false claims, including his thoroughly debunked boast that Saudi Arabia will “spend and invest $450 billion” in the United States. He says the kingdom has “been very responsive to my requests to keeping oil prices at reasonable levels,” though Riyadh is reportedly preparing to cut production to raise prices.

Worst of all, Mr. Trump libels Mr. Khashoggi, saying that “representatives of Saudi Arabia” had called him an “enemy of the state” and a member of the Muslim Brotherhood. The crown prince did make those allegations in a phone call to the White House — but the regime itself was so embarrassed when The Post reported on the call that it denied making them. Mr. Khashoggi’s family has confirmed that he was not a member of the Brotherhood.

Mr. Trump concluded his statement by inviting Congress “to go in a different direction.” As in the Russia case, it must do so. Bipartisan legislation mandating sanctions for all those implicated in Mr. Khashoggi’s death is pending in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) last week gave us a statement indicating he wanted to know “what more would be done” by the administration before Congress responded. Now he knows. If Mohammed bin Salman is to be held accountable, as Mr. Corker said he must, the committee must act. The alternative is a world where dictators know they can murder their critics and suffer no consequences.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2

Take note, America, how a country with no ties to Khashoggi shows you what you should have done in reaction to his murder by MBS:

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

In the last few weeks, I found a website called WhiteHouseWatch.com   It's really just Dan Froomkin, but White House Watch used to be part of the Washington Post and now Dan is flying solo.   Excellent commentary and this post from yesterday details how the incoming Dem majority House can get an up or down vote relative to US support for the Saudis in their war on Yemen by addressing the issue through the War Powers Act.  Yes, it's long, but take the 10 minutes to read through.   If you want to clearly understand how the Republicans play dirty and flaunt the Constitution, check out this paragraph from the blog post linked below: 

As it happens, California Democratic Rep. Ro Khanna introduced a bill blocking U.S. support for hostilities in Yemen, invoking the War Powers Act – and just last week, the House leadership ignored the Act’s provisions and refused to let it come to the floor. In an entirely unprecedented move, House leaders stuck a line into an entirely unrelated bill – about the endangered status of wolves – simply declaring that the War Power Resolution “shall not apply to House Concurrent Resolution 138.”

How to get an up-or-down vote on U.S. involvement in the Saudi war in Yemen

Anyway, pay special attention to the phrase "In an entirely unprecedented move".  For the people who have been saying "We're already in a Constitutional crisis" this is the kind of shit they are referring to. 

As horrible as Jamal Khashoggi's assassination is, at least it has had the auxiliary benefit of shedding light on the horrible humanitarian crisis in Yemen. 

• Thank You 3

Wut? Can they legally do this? Keep information from the Senate?

• WTF 8