IGNORED

Saudis/MBS/Khashoggi/Yemen/Kushner

Howl

What I don't get:  Why are certain Repug Senators going against the White House on this issue after they've pretty much rolled over and died  on every other weak position Trump has taken?

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Drala said:

What I don't get:  Why are certain Repug Senators going against the White House on this issue after they've pretty much rolled over and died  on every other weak position Trump has taken?

Fingers in the wind.

There's speculation that with the Blue Wave and Mueller bearing down hard on Trump & Family, the winds of Trump's popularity might be shifting. 

Instead of so. much. winning. there's the reality of the Trump's disastrous moves on tariffs and a few other things that are really hurting farmers, not to mention stocks dropping like a bunch on boulders on a heavy gravity day.  Some fiscally conservative Trumpers are aghast at the increase in debt. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

They don't even pretend to give a shit 

"Energy space"?  Ricky darling, those 'smart glasses' aren't working.

Oh and the blood you have on your hands never washes off.

Edited by onekidanddone
  • Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, mamallama said:

I was hoping for Mueller so I could see Trump's head explode but this is good.

Didn't Trump have a fake Time cover with his filthy orange ass face on the cover? Ivanka can read it to him as his next bedtime story.

• Haha 6

On Dec. 4, Wall Street Journal published Sec. of State Pompeo's fawning op-ed re: MBS and the Saudis.  

Rather than linking the WSJ op-ed, which is behind a paywall, here's a link to a wonderful piece published by Politico, refuting Pompeo point by point.  This highlights the weaknesses of the Trump "strategy" re: the Saudis/MBS and how, with a saner president, how applying leverage in a different way could be a win for the US and the ME, and also pointing out there there IS leverage. 

The Trump Team’s Fawning Over Saudi Arabia Is Getting Ridiculous  The latest: A fawning op-ed from Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.   December 04, 2018

• Upvote 4

There is a shaky UN-mediated cease fire in Yemen now to allow for supplies to get through to the hardest hit areas.  

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is a thread that is ultimately about a couple (woman activist who drove a car in SA and her husband, a Saudi stand-up comic) who were kidnapped from a country where they thought they would be safe and brought back to Saudi Arabia.  She is in a horrible situation in a Saudi prison and it's not known if her husband is in or out of prison.  His twitter account, with over a million (!) followers, has been suspended. 

• Upvote 2

The Guardian is an absolutely amazing global news organization.  I'm seriously considering giving money to them. 

Thread drift! Check out the "Related stories" at the bottom of the article referenced in the tweet above, covering trials of those who participated in abduction, torture, murder and infant abduction during Pinochet's Dirty War. For those not aware of this particularly horrible practice,  young children and the infants of women who were pregnant when abducted or were impregnated by their abductors/torturers were given at birth to military families or sometimes Catholic families to be raised.  The Catholic Church was complicit. 

The women were subsequently killed, often via "Death Flights" where the abducted were drugged, flown over the ocean and pushed out of an airplane into the frigid Atlantic. 

DNA testing has allowed at least some of these people abducted as infants to be reunited with their biological families, making for some particularly difficult family dynamics.  

I’m a child of Argentina’s ‘disappeared’

• Disgust 3
  • Sad 1

Horrifying.  And I have no doubt that her fears of being killed by her family are realistic. And I have no doubt that, if her family is wealthy, they could charter a private plane, kidnap her and bring her back to SA. 

• Sad 4

Except she's probably not going to Australia. Apparently Canada is her first choice.

Saudi teenager could be heading to Canada as a refugee

A Saudi teenager who fled her “abusive” family and was detained in Bangkok while she tried to get to Australia appears to be heading to Canada instead.

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun captured international attention when she posted on social media and pleaded with fellow passengers to hear her case for asylum. The 18-year-old renounced Islam and said she feared she would be killed for such an action if she was returned to Saudi Arabia.

Ms al-Qunun’s case was referred to Australia by the United Nations’ High Commission for Refugees who decided she was a genuine refugee.

However, The Australian is reporting tonight the UNHCR had withdrawn its referral to this country, and Ms al-Qunun has said Canada was her first choice for a new home.

The news follows hours of confusion where it was unclear what country the 18-year-old would end up in. The Daily Mail reported she had already been granted resettlement in Australia - something The Australian said had been denied by government sources.

“I survived from death,” she said in an interview earlier on Friday, reflecting that since the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in a Saudi consulate in Instabul she has feared for her own life.

“I’m scared to be killed just like him.”

In the interview Ms al-Qunun responded to claims she had manipulated social media to be granted asylum.

“I want life. I want to be independent,” she said. “How can they say this just because I do something they don’t like? I want to become a strong woman, I want freedom of expression, of religion and politics. I want to live a normal life.”

The Department of Home Affairs has not confirmed that Ms al-Qunun will be resettled in Australia.

A department spokesman said: “The UNHCR has referred Ms Rahaf Mohammed Al-Qunun to Australia for consideration for refugee resettlement.

“The Department of Home Affairs will consider this referral in the usual way, as it does with all UNHCR referrals. “The Government will be making no further comment on this matter.”

Yesterday Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton said there would be no “special treatment” in the assessment of Ms al-Qunun’s case. “Nobody wants to see a young girl in distress and she has obviously now found a safe haven in Thailand,” Mr Dutton said.

I wasn't sure where to put this.  I thought it fit here best.  Just an awful top 11of 45's shit moves in the Middle East.

1 - 8.png

9 - 11.png

• Upvote 5

The Qatar issue is crazy.  There's a critically strategic and very large military base in Qatar (Al Udeid Air Base) "hosting Qatari Air Force, U.S. Air Force, Royal Air Force, and other Gulf War Coalition personnel and assets." (Wiki)

We should be supporting Qatar in every way possible.  Qatar is important in another way. They have been hosting peace talks with the Afghan Taliban.  But now?  

Taliban Calls Off Peace Talks In Qatar With U.S. Officials

It's like a dumpster sitting on a train track is on fire, and a train carrying nuclear waste just ran into it.  It doesn't seem like this administration can fuck up more than it already has...and then it does. 

Edited by Howl
  • I Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...

Note: AMI (American Media) is the parent company of The National Enquirer.

I was trying to sort out where this goes in the general scheme of things and since it relate to The National Enquirer and what WaPo was publishing about The National Enquirer/David Pecker the Saudis and Khashoggi, I thought it should land here. 

I'm sure a lot of y'all know by now that Jeff Bezos today has published an open letter with the details of a National Enquirer/David Pecker-initiated blackmail scheme (Lordy, there's a letter laying out the terms). The threat?  If WaPo didn't lay off on the Saudi/David Pecker/Khashoggi angle, The National Enquirer would publish intimate pictures of Bezos and his (presumably) mistress, although not together -- it's not a sex tape thing. 

A few snips from the Bezos' open letter: 

Spoiler

Also, The Post’s essential and unrelenting coverage of the murder of its columnist Jamal Khashoggi is undoubtedly unpopular in certain circles...

...Back to the story: Several days ago, an AMI leader advised us that Mr. Pecker is “apoplectic” about our investigation. For reasons still to be better understood, the Saudi angle seems to hit a particularly sensitive nerve.

A few days after hearing about Mr. Pecker’s apoplexy, we were approached, verbally at first, with an offer. They said they had more of my text messages and photos that they would publish if we didn’t stop our investigation.

This is a list of pictures that the National Enquirer threatened to publish. 

Spoiler

In addition to the “below the belt selfie — otherwise colloquially known as a ‘d*ck pick’” — The Enquirer obtained a further nine images. These include:

· Mr. Bezos face selfie at what appears to be a business meeting.

· Ms. Sanchez response — a photograph of her smoking a cigar in what appears to be a simulated oral sex scene.

· A shirtless Mr. Bezos holding his phone in his left hand — while wearing his wedding ring. He’s wearing either tight black cargo pants or shorts — and his semi-erect manhood is penetrating the zipper of said garment.

· A full-length body selfie of Mr. Bezos wearing just a pair of tight black boxer-briefs or trunks, with his phone in his left hand — while wearing his wedding ring.

· A selfie of Mr. Bezos fully clothed.

· A full-length scantily-clad body shot with short trunks.

· A naked selfie in a bathroom — while wearing his wedding ring. Mr. Bezos is wearing nothing but a white towel — and the top of his pubic region can be seen.

· Ms. Sanchez wearing a plunging red neckline dress revealing her cleavage and a glimpse of her nether region.

· Ms. Sanchez wearing a two-piece red bikini with gold detail dress revealing her cleavage.

It would give no editor pleasure to send this email. I hope common sense can prevail — and quickly.

Bezos has hired investigators with no limit on budget to figure out how the photos were acquired and he already has legions of lawyers. I'd be surprised if The National Enquirer survives this entire shitaroo. 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1