IGNORED

Meghan and Harry: Royal Baby

We should also do her the honor of using the racial designation that she has chosen that doesn't deny either portion of her heritage.  ?

Like her, I used to never have a box to check and still all too often people want me to pick one. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

24 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Of course they hate her. She’s a talented black woman who had the audacity to fall in love with and marry a Royal. How dare she?! :pb_rollseyes:

(And I’m not saying everyone who doesn’t adore her is racist. I’m pretty convinced that people who believe the crap @Mama Miamentioned are motivated by racism in this case though.)

Absolutely. People are horrible. And there are a lot of non completely unhinged people who let their not so subtle racism seep in when it regards Meghan.  It doesn’t explain Harry being a Reptilian Shape Shifter though. I don’t even know what’s going on with that. 

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

It doesn’t explain Harry being a Reptilian Shape Shifter though. I don’t even know what’s going on with that. 

There are some people who will believe any strange tale just because it's strange. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

We should also do her the honor of using the racial designation that she has chosen that doesn't deny either portion of her heritage.  ?

Like her, I used to never have a box to check and still all too often people want me to pick one. 

I don’t think the people who believe this stuff would care how she identifies herself - all they see is a black woman who had the nerve to move beyond “her place” in the world. But I do agree with you that how she chooses (or anyone chooses) to identify should be respected and I apologize for not doing so. 

ETA: I don’t think these people care that Meghan’s father is white and she identifies as mixed race is what I’m saying. All they likely care about is that she has a black mother. That’s what I was trying to say in my earlier post. 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

Thanks!  I understand it's a bit of distinction, but it's important to most of us who have similar heritage.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Thanks!  I understand it's a bit of distinction, but it's important to most of us who have similar heritage.  

Thank you for correcting me. I’m white and it’s not something I’ve ever had to think about on a daily basis, so it didn’t even cross my mind at first. It’s a bit embarrassing to admit that, but I’ll consider this a valuable learning experience. :) 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I've already posted about our family history and the fact that none of it was true, but I grew up thinking I was Mexican/2 or 3 different Native American Tribes/Irish/with a black ancestor.  I always just wrote in the word:  Human.  Now that we know we are all white, and the Viking Irish we always suspected has been confirmed, I'm still just going to say Human.  Just putting my thoughts out here.  Not trying to minimize anybody else's experience at all.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Briefly said:

I've already posted about our family history and the fact that none of it was true, but I grew up thinking I was Mexican/2 or 3 different Native American Tribes/Irish/with a black ancestor.  I always just wrote in the word:  Human.  Now that we know we are all white, and the Viking Irish we always suspected has been confirmed, I'm still just going to say Human.  Just putting my thoughts out here.  Not trying to minimize anybody else's experience at all.

The thing is that white people have the luxury of deciding they're just 'human'. Being able to decide you're not going to be defined by your race and just consider yourself 'human' comes from a place of privilege. People of colour don't have that luxury or privilege. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

The thing is that white people have the luxury of deciding they're just 'human'. Being able to decide you're not going to be defined by your race and just consider yourself 'human' comes from a place of privilege. People of colour don't have that luxury or privilege. 

I know, I agree with you.  I think the whole idea of having to check that little box is stupid, the box should not even be there.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

19 hours ago, singsingsing said:

When it comes to the little boxes though, I know quite a few people who fall into more than one category - who go with “human” , “other” , “ none of your business” or just leave it blank. It can be a very touchy and confusing topic. The box you check often determines the way you are perceived- consciously or not. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

Those boxes are so weird. I have never encountered a box to tick what I am here. It is only nationality, nothing else. I did a survey once and had to google what I should check because I had no idea what "Caucasian" meant.  

• Upvote 4

On 11/9/2018 at 3:50 PM, Mama Mia said:

Wow, is there a bucket full of hateful crazy in the world. I was looking at photos of their Tour. All sorts of loveliness.......and then.....

Did you know there are people who are convinced that she is faking the pregnancy? And it’s really a surrogate? And that they make whole videos “proving” she’s using a prosthetic baby bump? ( mostly evidenced by the outline, if you zoom in, in the bright light, of the style of her underwear. 

AND that the surrogate likely comes from one of their many sex trafficking rings? 

AND  you’d think that’s as crazy as it would get. You would be wrong. Very. Very wrong. Did you know Harry, like all the Royals, comes from a shape-shifting repitilian species(?) race(?) aliens (?) 

There are close to 20,000 people who follow this particular woman’s YouTube account. The vast majority seriously. This isn’t even satire. They seem to truly believe this stuff. AND they really, really, REALLY hate Meghan. 

I dislike MM and I've posted why in the past (I have a childhood friend who ran in her circle in Toronto). 

That said, this stuff is absolutely insane.  Only a crazy person would believe this.  Only a crazy person would care.  Honestly, what if there is a fake baby bump and she's using a surrogate?  Who cares?  This is the seventh in line to the throne, the child of a royal whose main job is to be a celebrity.  The baby has to look cute in pictures while Harry and Meghan go to various ribbon-cuttings. 

The fact that people are seriously discussing Meghan's "sex trafficking" to me is baffling when nobody cared much about Prince Charles covering up for his gay rapist aide, or Prince Andrew's (at least tangential) involvement with underage "sex slave" prostitutes.  

Edited by acheronbeach
misspelled her name, duh
  • Upvote 11

I'm Ashkenazi Jewish and check off "Caucasian".  But I always think for a moment doing so, since I know the white supremacist fucks don't consider me white.

• Upvote 7

I had hoped that Harry and Meghan would use Arthur if they have a boy (same as I hoped William and Kate would use it for both of their boys) but it’s probably unlikely now that Kate’s sister used it :(

I was really hoping for a baby Prince Arthur - such a cute name!

• Upvote 4

The bookies seem to be assuming that Harry and Meghan will be fishing the same name pool as William and Kate, but I'm not so sure. They've further down the line of succession and their child will never be monarch. I guess they might go for Victoria or Alice or Albert or Philip, but why wouldn't they be able to branch out a bit? I get that those are all family names, and they're all lovely in their own way, but surely they have more options open to them than William and Kate did. And why should all the names be ones associated with the royal family? I think Meghan's going to have more input than that suggests.

• Upvote 9

~Rumors~ indicate that Meghan and Harry want to insert their child into a royal life as much as possible, which means they would pick a royal sounding first name. 

Personally, I think they will give their child a very classic name, but mostly because I think that's Meghan's particular style, not because she wants her child to be famous. 

However, I do think their children will be styled as Prince/Princess. I mean, it makes sense, considering their styles will change to that once Charles becomes King. That's less than 10 years away, so they might as well just start out on that foot, plus Harry is quite beloved of the Queen. I could see her granting that to him. 

• Upvote 8

They could always request the children not to styled as Royal Prince/Princess as Edward did.Then his potential son would be styled Earl of Dumbarton.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

The bookies seem to be assuming that Harry and Meghan will be fishing the same name pool as William and Kate, but I'm not so sure. They've further down the line of succession and their child will never be monarch. I guess they might go for Victoria or Alice or Albert or Philip, but why wouldn't they be able to branch out a bit? I get that those are all family names, and they're all lovely in their own way, but surely they have more options open to them than William and Kate did. And why should all the names be ones associated with the royal family? I think Meghan's going to have more input than that suggests.

I believe Meghan will have a lot of input - and that she might push for names that represent people who have good strong characters - but they will also be very classic, traditional and likely from the Royal pool.  And they will opt for Prince and Princess. 

Her children may never be on the throne, but she is a bi-racial woman, and their children will be bi-racial Princes and Princesses of England. Even in just regular life non-white people face a great deal of stigma and judgement around names. I don’t think they will set them up for any more harassment than they will already get, simply by existing, by giving them remotely unusual names. Unfortunately they don’t have the social leeway of Princess Anne or Prince Edward. 

• Upvote 5

They have whatever social leeway the Monarch allows them :)   Lord or Lady or Prince or Princess  they will still be Royal family members and the Granchildren of the monarch and  I hardly see anyone “Harassing” them. 

8 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

They have whatever social leeway the Monarch allows them :)   Lord or Lady or Prince or Princess  they will still be Royal family members and the Granchildren of the monarch and  I hardly see anyone “Harassing” them. 

That isn’t how social leeway works. I have no doubt that their family will be nothing but family. I didn’t mean to imply they would think or behave differently.

But the court of public opinion is vastly different. So much so that this statement had to be issued when they were just dating. Not married. No children yet. Just dating:

https://www.royal.uk/statement-communications-secretary-prince-harry

It’s horrible that this is a consideration for them in life, and they can, and should, of course, make whatever choices they like regarding their children. I just think it’s far more likely they will stick to traditional names and titles to minimize bad reactions as much as possible. 

• Upvote 7

Every Royal everywhere esp the women is at the mercy of press and public opinion.  Eugenie and Beatrice have publicly stated  they cried because of the cruel things the press has wrote about them. It’s a downside that can’t be avoided.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

Every Royal everywhere esp the women is at the mercy of press and public opinion.  Eugenie and Beatrice have publicly stated  they cried because of the cruel things the press has wrote about them. It’s a downside that can’t be avoided.

Yes, people are awful to them. They shouldn’t be. There is obviously an extra layer of awful- that can veer into profoundly ugly, and potentially dangerous - the Meghan faces, and her children will face, because they aren’t just white. It sucks.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

On 11/15/2018 at 4:10 PM, Mama Mia said:

I believe Meghan will have a lot of input - and that she might push for names that represent people who have good strong characters - but they will also be very classic, traditional and likely from the Royal pool.  And they will opt for Prince and Princess. 

Her children may never be on the throne, but she is a bi-racial woman, and their children will be bi-racial Princes and Princesses of England. Even in just regular life non-white people face a great deal of stigma and judgement around names. I don’t think they will set them up for any more harassment than they will already get, simply by existing, by giving them remotely unusual names. Unfortunately they don’t have the social leeway of Princess Anne or Prince Edward. 

Anyone else see that episode of Doctor Who that has what's left of Britain is turned into a spaceship on the backs of interstellar whales? This reminded of that episode, because the Doctor meets Queen Elizabeth X, who is black. 

Sorry, I know that's kind of random. 

• Haha 4

On 11/15/2018 at 3:28 PM, viii said:

once Charles becomes King. That's less than 10 years away

No it's not. Nope. The Queen is going to live to be 150.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic