IGNORED

Meghan and Harry: Royal Baby

12 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Not traditional attention-whoring, but Charles seems very interested in other people acknowledging and supporting his ideas and projects - something difficult to do when the media attention was always superficially drawn to Diana's beauty.  Moreover, he's a bit of an idiot with an outsized view of his own intellect - just read the black spider letters, where he gives cringeworthy advice to various senior politicians.   

Hmmm. . . maybe. But the fact that Diana was frequently on the cover of People magazine wouldn't stop Charles from talking to architects and organic farmers about his own interests. He could easily pursue these interests whether he got media attention or not.  

After all, media attention was something he could have quite easily since early childhood ("Charles attends new school!" "See Charles at his college graduation"). It was a nuisance at best and a plague at worst. Most likely, he did his best to avoid such attention. I suspect he was glad the media focused on Diana and not himself, so he could quietly meet with environmentalists, urban planners and philanthropists  to discuss his own interests.

• Upvote 1

Because his projects were a hell of a lot more important and needing of press attention than Diana’s latest expensive designer bag or shoes. But that goes for any number of projects various members of the family were endorsing. I would be a might put out too if my work with  disadvantaged children or endangered animals or health care for the elderly never got proper attention because of a glam outfit and a pretty face.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

Because his projects were a hell of a lot more important and needing of press attention than Diana’s latest expensive designer bag or shoes. But that goes for any number of projects various members of the family were endorsing. I would be a might put out too if my work with  disadvantaged children or endangered animals or health care for the elderly never got proper attention because of a glam outfit and a pretty face.

Health care for the elderly is not a glam topic and would not have gotten much attention (from media or from their readers!) no matter who he was married to.  I mean, he's not married to a glamour girl now, and how much attention do his interests get?

Meghan is a beautiful, intelligent actress actress with a heart for charity. I think the BRF should capitalize on that. She could bring in more money for charitable causes than any of them ever could.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Hisey said:

Hmmm. . . maybe. But the fact that Diana was frequently on the cover of People magazine wouldn't stop Charles from talking to architects and organic farmers about his own interests. He could easily pursue these interests whether he got media attention or not.  

After all, media attention was something he could have quite easily since early childhood ("Charles attends new school!" "See Charles at his college graduation"). It was a nuisance at best and a plague at worst. Most likely, he did his best to avoid such attention. I suspect he was glad the media focused on Diana and not himself, so he could quietly meet with environmentalists, urban planners and philanthropists  to discuss his own interests.

Charles doesn't avoid media attention.  He likes the media well enough when it's hagiographic toward him, or he's using it for his own ends.  

The Prince's Trust is Charles's pet project.  He's courted massive media attention for it by glomming onto celebrities - I can think of Bear Grylls, Ant McPartlin, and Benedict Cumberbatch off the top of my head.  As a more recent example - would his Prince's Trust dinner have gotten such wide media attention in March had Amal and George Clooney not been there?  

And he's a man who's sensitive about his popularity.  The Queen's cousin once claimed that Charles was terribly jealous of Diana once he realized the crowds were coming out for her.  And one of his unauthorized biographies discussed how he became jealous of the Middletons and as such Carole Middleton got snubbed from media-covered family social events for a time.  

That said, I actually like Charles.  Certainly there are worse things being well-meaning but sensitive, undereducated and overconfident. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 5/19/2019 at 12:37 PM, nausicaa said:

I've heard it said by a lot of older people that it's a shame Anne wasn't born a man, or the rules of succession weren't different, because she would have been a great monarch and had a more natural leadership aptitude than the Chuckster. 

As a total fuddy-duddy snob who despises modern architecture and dreams of moving to Virginia's hunt country, I've always suspected Charles and I would get along though. (He's gonna need to shut up about the Gerson method though.)

Charles is the oldest, so it wouldn't matter if the rules of succession were different. He'd still be first in line and she'd simply be in Andrew's spot instead. 

I see that same suggestion all the time and often it seems that people believe she is the eldest child. So weird. 

• Upvote 6

21 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Charles is the oldest, so it wouldn't matter if the rules of succession were different. He'd still be first in line and she'd simply be in Andrew's spot instead. 

I see that same suggestion all the time and often it seems that people believe she is the eldest child. So weird. 

For whatever reason, until right now, I thought she was. ?

• I Agree 1

6 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

For whatever reason, until right now, I thought she was. ?

She's number two. It's Charles (1948), Anne (1950), Andrew (1960), Edward (1964)

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic