IGNORED

Maxwell 25: Pies, Cakes, Tarts, and Tortes

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

I hate to break it to Teri that adult children who aren't in school and don't have special needs are not considered dependents. 

Technically true, but since they never got an education and are scared to interact with anyone outside their compound, you could argue that they're functionally *completely* dependent.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Have you tried speeding them up? I usually listen to mine at 1.25 X speed. Mr. Hick can go up to 1.5 X if the book isn't too dense.

Yup! 

That plus initially sticking with books narrated by their own authors eventually sold me on audiobooks.

I hated them at first - probably partly just because I physically love holding books (to the point I still can't get behind a Kindle) - but the faster speed and starting with authors reading their own books because I found the inflection and genuine nature of it got me hooked (plus my love of multi-tasking)  It got to the point where I liked them so much I had to start only "letting" myself listen to them when I was driving or else I'd be listening in lieu of things I legitimately needed to be doing just because I'd get so wrapped up in whatever I was currently listen to!  Not that I didn't sometimes take the most circuitous route to my destinations just to eek in a few more minutes, but...

I haven't. I actually don't currently have any! If I find myself trying again I'll give that a shot. 

If you want to try without investing any money into, most libraries have them available online using typically either OverDrive or CloudLibrary and all you need is a valid library card and you can listen to them free that way.

I kind of have this problem with podcasts. I keep trying ones that I see recommended...but I frequently find the speakers too annoying to deal with.

I need to digest my books on my terms. One notable exception - Harry Potter. I downloaded all those after I read the books a few times, and the movies had happened. The guy who did that series is Ah-maz-ing,

I think everyone should talk like the djs on NPR and classical music stations. Or, actors in Regency era Masterpiece Theater costume dramas. That would make my world a saner place. :) 

5 hours ago, jakesykora said:

Yup! 

That plus initially sticking with books narrated by their own authors eventually sold me on audiobooks.

Isn't that funny, I generally avoid books read by the authors.  Authors who are actors by trade usually do a great job, but I don't usually care for people who write for a living reading their own stuff.  Stephen King is one of the worst, imo.

ETA:  New post up, Chris and NR-Anna's 8th anniversary today.  After eight years does she still have to be Anna Marie, Sarah?  Would anyone not know who you were referring to in that post if you just wrote Anna?

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

Isn't that funny, I generally avoid books read by the authors.  Authors who are actors by trade usually do a great job, but I don't usually care for people who write for a living reading their own stuff.  Stephen King is one of the worst, imo.

ETA:  New post up, Chris and NR-Anna's 8th anniversary today.  After eight years does she still have to be Anna Marie, Sarah?  Would anyone not know who you were referring to in that post if you just wrote Anna?

Why can’t she be Anna and PSarah’s borned sister be Anna Elizabeth?  Anna Ofchris is older, therefore takes precedence; *and* has birthed 5 Maxwells for Steve’s Cause (whatever that may be). That surely sets her closer to Steve’s idea of gawdliness!

The photo today makes me dizzy. All that plaid and all that awful patchwork frumper material. Just because Hobbby Lobby had it on sale.....

34 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

The photo today makes me dizzy. All that plaid and all that awful patchwork frumper material. Just because Hobbby Lobby had it on sale.....

I was just going to say this. I think Anna is a great seamstress.  I also think jumpers look cute on little girls (not adults). If Anna would buy some better material for the jumpers she makes for the girls (and stop before she makes one for herself), I would think the picture would be adorable. That material reminds me of a “patriotic country style” table cloth my mom owned back in 1996. 

F8FC890B-9AC1-4751-8B49-DF31103DB023.jpeg

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was just going to say this. I think Anna is a great seamstress.  I also think jumpers look cute on little girls (not adults). If Anna would buy some better material for the jumpers she makes for the girls (and stop before she makes one for herself), I would think the picture would be adorable. That material reminds me of a “patriotic country style” table cloth my mom owned back in 1996. 

F8FC890B-9AC1-4751-8B49-DF31103DB023.jpeg

Poor Daniel's sweater is too big. You can't even see his hand. He'll grow into it, but it doesn't look great for the current picture. Chris looks likes he's balding a bit in the front. Hope it's just the light and picture for his sake, but his hair may be graying. It looks like it's starting to match the fence behind them. Five young kids getting to ya, Chris? 

This sentence is so Maxwellian:

"I used to listen to Elisabeth Elliot messages while I sewed for 1/2 hour in the afternoon."

Of course sewing had to have a scheduled timeslot. She couldn't just say "while I sewed in the afternoon"

i think the frumper fabric is cute on the girls, especially since they're all so young.  the print is cute, but to me it screams "little girl"  which is great for a little girl, but not so much on an adult or a teen or most tweens.  Frumpers in general also strike me as children's clothing.  (jmo)

Anna clearly enjoys sewing, and since she's an OfChris and not an OfSteve, hopefully no one will take it away from her.

2 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

This sentence is so Maxwellian:

"I used to listen to Elisabeth Elliot messages while I sewed for 1/2 hour in the afternoon."

Of course sewing had to have a scheduled timeslot. She couldn't just say "while I sewed in the afternoon"

how much sewing can you do in a half-hour increment?  does the half-hour include set up and clean up?  i know Teri needed her schedule broken down that far to get through the day, but i would think it would be counter-productive for some projects.  

15 minutes ago, dairyfreelife said:

Chris looks likes he's balding a bit in the front. Hope it's just the light and picture for his sake, but his hair may be graying. It looks like it's starting to match the fence behind them. Five young kids getting to ya, Chris? 

The dude is in his late 30s, not 20. Balding and going grey at his age is totally normal and unremarkable. 

Poor Danny is swimming in that sweater. It looks odd, since the girls and oldest boy look so put together. There wasn't another red shirt to put him in?

I know that Sewing With Nancy episodes lasted only 30 minutes each, but Nancy Zieman didn't show the whole project from start to finish either.  She'd mainly show those techniques she wanted to highlight.  Sewing on buttons is about the extent of my sewing ability, but I like Nancy's show.  Nancy died of cancer (breast and osteosarcoma) the day after her last show was aired.  RIP, Nancy Zieman!

15 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I know that Sewing With Nancy episodes lasted only 30 minutes each, but Nancy Zieman didn't show the whole project from start to finish either.  She'd mainly show those techniques she wanted to highlight.  Sewing on buttons is about the extent of my sewing ability, but I like Nancy's show.  Nancy died of cancer (breast and osteosarcoma) the day after her last show was aired.  RIP, Nancy Zieman!

I remember that woman. I didn’t realized she had passed away. 

I don’t see that Anna has any great sewing skills. She makes the exact same frumpers each time. If you had to make an outfit, those look like the easiest ones to make. What’s sad is that the little boys get real clothes that show a little individuality and the little girls are basically wearing identical sacks again and again. 

As to the boy with the red sweater, I am guessing it was probably his brother’s sweater at one time and they needed a matching top for him to wear even though it is too big. 

@Jana814,  Nancy Zieman died about a year ago .  She'd battled cancer for several years and a little over a year ago, found out that the cancer had metasized and that further treatment would be futile.  She died on November 14, 2017.  One thing I admired about Nancy was her perservance when she had Bell's palsy.  Not too many people would film a television show with a disability that some would poke fun at or misunderstand. 

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

I don’t see that Anna has any great sewing skills. She makes the exact same frumpers each time. If you had to make an outfit, those look like the easiest ones to make. What’s sad is that the little boys get real clothes that show a little individuality and the little girls are basically wearing identical sacks again and again. 

As to the boy with the red sweater, I am guessing it was probably his brother’s sweater at one time and they needed a matching top for him to wear even though it is too big. 

Exactly. Anna's frumpers are the same as those the Duggar girls made for themselves at age 8 or 9. I could sew something like that at that age, too. (Yes, I'm old. Over 50 but under 60--we even had sewing in school). I just think the fabric is too busy. If they are "heirloom frumpers" inherited from Mom or someone ok, maybe. They are very, very 90s.  I've never liked Mommy & Me dresses and hairstyles--not since the movie Mommy Dearest! I just don't think it's attractive. This woman seems happy enough, but she's birthing baby after baby. Maybe she'd enjoy looking NOT pregnant from time-to-time? Note I only said "looking"......

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

The dude is in his late 30s, not 20. Balding and going grey at his age is totally normal and unremarkable. 

I was just making a joke about so many small kids giving him gray hair. Balding and graying is more about genetics than anything. Some people start going bald in their late teens, some keep good hair into their 60s and 70s. Not a diss on Chris's appearance, just an acknowledgement about so many young kids. Can't be easy with so many little ones dependent on you for most things all the time. 

I live in a part of the world with a large Mennonite population - ranging from orthodox old order Mennonites (buggies, all homemade clothing, no buttons, etc), to conservative, fundy-lite, and outright liberal/progressive.  Anna Marie's family reminds me of the the conservative Mennonites in my community.  These Mennonites drive dark cars stripped of amenities, live in homes with hydro and many conveniences - but not TV, radio, and so on.  The women and girls all wear homemade dresses and jumpers and the boys all wear plain store purchased clothing - khakis, jeans, and "plain shirts" (logo free, plain, striped, plaid) - so very much like AMs family.  The only difference for Anna Marie and the conservative Mennonite ladies in terms of dress would be the head covering.

I find the jumpers on the little girls adorable.  I don't mind the fabric.  I don't think jumpers on women aren't particularly flattering but they are comfortable and practical and meet AMs very strict modesty needs.  I can totally see why AM would stick to an easy, practical pattern.

I often find myself comparing the dress of the Maxwell children to, say, the JRod family or the Andersons.  Those kids always look so scruffy, particularly JRod's.  While I disagree with the rigid dress/modesty code for all of these families the Maxwell grandkids are, at least, always well dressed.  AM's little girls often have adorable homemade dresses or jumpers.  

Anna Marie tends to dress her boys in overalls until they move into khakis or jeans and polos or the like. They aren’t modest modern whatsoever. I don’t think she would claim to be a great seamstress, but I am very impressed by her ability to whip out matching jumpers, even if they don’t fit my asthetic. These most recent ones are busy but eh, I don’t get the hate. I like to go costume-y on occasion too so why not with three tiny girls? 

Its the dark grandma tights or leggings they wear that  get me. Why? Would cute ruffle white socks or tights that are more appropriate for little girls be immodest? 

4 hours ago, catlady said:

how much sewing can you do in a half-hour increment?  does the half-hour include set up and clean up?  i know Teri needed her schedule broken down that far to get through the day, but i would think it would be counter-productive for some projects.  

When you have 5 little children, 1/2 hour is an huge amount of time for a hobbie. Maybe Anna ignores the children during this time or maybe Christopher is with them, but usually hobbie time for mama is something like: start sewing, a baby cries, cuddling to sleep again, then a toddler wakes up and screams "not daddy, I want mama to give me my glass of water", tantrum, baby wakes again, baby wants to nurse, another toddler needs to go to the bathroom with mom, finally the house is quiet, mama looks at the sewing machine, drinks a double chocolate milk and goes to bed.

I've got a picture somewhere where a mom is wearing her baby in a front pack or sling of some type while she's sewing.  That might keep a baby content for quite a while especially if the mom has got the art of nursing while babywearing down pat.  

My last baby was born in '91, but I have to admit that I loved wearing the jumpers that I borrowed from a friend when I was pregnant that she had sewed for herself when she was pregnant with twins.  I took another look at Anna Marie's jumper and I wonder if she adapted the pattern for nursing.   That fabric would be perfect for concealing nursing openings.  (You want something busy.)  The jumpers I borrowed had large armholes which could have been useful for nursing if you were wearing a turtleneck or tee underneath, but that probably would not have met the Maxwell's modesty standards.

7 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Dayum, I used to love her show and ordered tons of stuff from her catalog. I don’t sew anymore but I probably have a Nancy’s Notion or two still hanging around. 

I’m pretty sure we’ve seen more of NR Anna’s work than her ubiquitous frumpers and IIRC, she’s good some pretty good skills. She probably doesn’t have much time open on the Holy Schedule for much more that the simplest patterns though. And she probably does buy whatever’s on sale, since she has so many females to sew for. Heaven forbid they not match… But that patchwork plaid is migraine-inducing.

Christopher has never not looked (or acted) like a middle aged man. He came out of the womb that way.

Audiobooks are my everything. I have a minimum 45-minute drive to work each way and since I can’t stand the drivel that’s on the radio, I live for audiobooks. 99% of what I read is non-fiction (history, politics, science) so it’s a great way to pass the time and learn something. I don’t have a problem paying attention to my driving but if I get distracted, it’s always the audiobook that suffers so I’m glad I can go back and listen again. It’s also a great way to pass the time when I take the train into NYC. A narrator can make or break a book, however. I’ve had to stop listening to a few books because the narrator was so bad I couldn’t pay the subject matter. I’ve also noticed that more and more authors are reading their own books. It’s a bit of a crapshoot but if done well, it can really add to the material. Actors have really gotten into it in a big way and some of them are fabulous.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived