IGNORED

Maxwell 25: Pies, Cakes, Tarts, and Tortes

Coconut Flan

I was dropping my daughter off at school this morning and noticed that she had a chocolate bar shoved in the side pocket of her backpack. So, I asked her if she was allowed to have that in school. She said yeah because she was going to have it for breakfast. Without thinking I told her "That's not breakfast. That's not even what some would call breakfast." She gave me a look like I was an alien, told me to have a nice day, and shut the car door with a semi-concerned look on her face. Thanks Maxwells for making my preteen daughter think I'm even more hopeless than she did before. Lol

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

Giving the gift of a day off is not really a gift if you dictate what they have to do with it. A normal grandmother would just say “I’m taking the kids for a day - you go and do whatever you want to with that time”. 

Control, control, control.

2 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

We should do these together. And dare anyone to contradict us.

*grinning* Pffft, babies. We’ll talk when you’ve celebrated your 28th 40th! 8-D

On 10/17/2018 at 11:15 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Does it make me an evil person that I'd be totally able to ignore that and continue to do things my way?

No, not at all.  That makes you a smart, coherent woman who has no trouble discerning good advice for bullshit.

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I cannot understand how you can have your baby just for feedings and then someone picks it back. My babies would have cried loud! They were happy while I was working, but once they saw me they only wanted mom. Anyway, if your baby is visiting you several times, it's not exactly a disconnection of your daily chores/kids.

My idea of relaxing time is not being stucked in a house praying for hours, it sounds like a punishment. I bet Anna SLEPT  A LOT in Gigi's house.

About paragraph 1:  My mom used to take care of my daughter when I was at work. When my daughter was a little over a year old, I was on a temporary assignment in the city where we live. My mom asked me to stop coming to her house during lunch hour because the baby would be sad and confused when I had to leave early in the afternoon. She had no problem, though, when I dropped her off in the morning and came back after five.

And how is sitting around praying all day going to recharge the batteries of a fundie mom with five kids? Like everyone else here, I’d prefer to go with naps, snacks, and Netflix or a trashy novel!

I have a friend who has turned 25 for the 9th time, and whose mother is miraculously only 21!

The blog post has been up for longer than normal by Maxwell standards. I think the Maxwells know the blog post makes them look like supportive fundies and are leaving it up as the latest post on purpose. Is pride not a sin?

Maybe it's their siren call for a fundie maiden for Jesse :roll:

6 hours ago, NeckPunch said:

The blog post has been up for longer than normal by Maxwell standards. I think the Maxwells know the blog post makes them look like supportive fundies and are leaving it up as the latest post on purpose. Is pride not a sin?

Maybe it's their siren call for a fundie maiden for Jesse :roll:

I am a little confused by this - they don't take down their posts. You mean it has been at the top longer than normal?

40 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I am a little confused by this - they don't take down their posts. You mean it has been at the top longer than normal?

I think she means there hasn’t been a new post to knock it down because the newest post is at the top. This one was posted 10/17 and its 10/21. Normally they don’t go this long without a post. But I bet there will be a new post tomorrow morning at 6am.

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But I bet there will be a new post tomorrow morning at 6am.

Ask and you shall receive!  Teri's riveting (NOT) summation of an audio biography of Hudson Taylor.  

But I never knew it was possible to listen to an audiobook while I exercised, you guys! Consider my biscuits buttered!

15 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

But I never knew it was possible to listen to an audiobook while I exercised, you guys! Consider my biscuits buttered!

I thought you had to sit quietly,  with hands folded in your lap, and listen to Audiobooks! Do you think you can, maybe, DRIVE while listening to an Audiobook? That could revolutionize my commute!

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I hate audio books! I've tried and tried, but they go so much slower than I can read myself, if I'm on the treadmill I need to SEE something to hold my attention so they don't work there (nor does music, I have to put in a dvd), and the last thing I want to deal with while commuting is people talking. Music or silence for me, in the car. No talking people. Especially radio personalities. Extra-especially in the morning, when the stupidest ones are on and WON'T SHUT UP. Ahem.

Reading a book is just like watching a movie in my head, hearing someone reading it leaves too much room for my brain to wander, I think.

I have to wonder what the Maxwell's next great find will be. First google, now audio books while exercising... they better watch out. One of the kidults might discover that it's possible to sleep in, or that food doesn't turn into dust if you forget to pray over it, or that skirts are actually less modest than pants, in most people's opinions.

Quick, somebody let Sarah know about NaNoWriMo! She'll be amazed! (And maybe actually write something slightly creative, with that sort of motivation. Maybe.)

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I hate audio books! I've tried and tried, but they go so much slower than I can read myself, if I'm on the treadmill I need to SEE something to hold my attention so they don't work there (nor does music, I have to put in a dvd), and the last thing I want to deal with while commuting is people talking. Music or silence for me, in the car. No talking people. Especially radio personalities. Extra-especially in the morning, when the stupidest ones are on and WON'T SHUT UP. Ahem.

Reading a book is just like watching a movie in my head, hearing someone reading it leaves too much room for my brain to wander, I think.

Have you tried speeding them up? I usually listen to mine at 1.25 X speed. Mr. Hick can go up to 1.5 X if the book isn't too dense.

21 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@danvillebelle and who, pray tell, is Hudson Taylor and why on earth do we need to listen to a bio of him?  

I’m guessing he’s some heroic Christian since the Bontragers have a Hudson and a Taylor and they are known to name their kids after their Christian heroes.

I’m guessing he’s some heroic Christian since the Bontragers have a Hudson and a Taylor and they are known to name their kids after their Christian heroes.
I believe he was a Christian missionary to China. Details are fuzzy, but he seems to have done a lot of things there.

45 minutes ago, sleepy_doggos said:

I believe he was a Christian missionary to China. Details are fuzzy, but he seems to have done a lot of things there.

Yes.  He was the founder of the China Inland Mission.  He's a big hero in fundie circles.

I give him a minor hat tip in that unlike MANY missionaries of the time, he actually tried very hard to adopt Chinese culture and habits (dressing in Chinese clothing and learning several dialects well enough to preach in them).

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When I read the title of the post I thought they were hawking something by the Bontragers, silly me.  And that was another poorly written post by Griselda Teri, she makes Poor Sarah look like Doris Kearns Goodwin in comparison.

Older topic on here, but I'm just catching up on the Maxwells. They entire "children are not a choice" thing. Actually, as someone infertile, yes, all my children, should I have any, will be 100% a choice. If I adopt any, that's a choice. If I choose to go through fertility treatments and IVF, my only option since tubes are completely blocked, that's definitely a serious choice. Pricey choices as well. Adoption via foster care isn't as expensive, but any other route would be rather expensive. 

Basically, should I decide to have children, they will definitely be a choice...and rather expensive choices as well. 

58 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

Yes.  He was the founder of the China Inland Mission.  He's a big hero in fundie circles.

I give him a minor hat tip in that unlike MANY missionaries of the time, he actually tried very hard to adopt Chinese culture and habits (dressing in Chinese clothing and learning several dialects well enough to preach in them).

Yes, and IIRC, he caught a lot of flak from other white people for adopting Chinese dress and hairstyles. 

I'm against proselytizing, but as far as missionaries go I find Hudson Taylor one of the...least objectionable? Lol. I think he was ahead of his own culture in recognizing Chinese tradition instead of trying to force them into Euro-centric clothing and attitudes. 

I'm sure there was still a healthy dose of white savior-ism going on, though.

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Have you tried speeding them up? I usually listen to mine at 1.25 X speed. Mr. Hick can go up to 1.5 X if the book isn't too dense.

I haven't. I actually don't currently have any! If I find myself trying again I'll give that a shot. 

Teri likes that her Christian Audible service has a family plan that includes up to 5 dependent family members.

I hate to break it to Teri that adult children who aren't in school and don't have special needs are not considered dependents. 

36 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

Yes, and IIRC, he caught a lot of flak from other white people for adopting Chinese dress and hairstyles. 

I'm against proselytizing, but as far as missionaries go I find Hudson Taylor one of the...least objectionable? Lol. I think he was ahead of his own culture in recognizing Chinese tradition instead of trying to force them into Euro-centric clothing and attitudes. 

I agree.  

Traditionally, Orthodox missionaries have worked in kind of the same way, St. Nicholas of Japan being one of the best examples.  The M.O. was move to an area, befriend and serve the locals in any way possible, learn the language...while quietly doing their Orthodox thing on their own, and saying to locals "here's this thing I'm doing, you're welcome to join in if you want...or not.  I'm here to help and be a neighbor regardless."  I think St. Nicholas of Japan spent years and years mastering the language before he even made an attempt to spread the word, so to speak.

I remember one of the Moody books had a scene with the kids listening to a biography about Hudson Taylor. In typical Sarah Maxwell style, who he was wasn’t explained. Obviously she didn’t need to explain in depth, but she could’ve at least said “... Hudson Taylor, who served in China” or something, any tiny tidbit. I remember thinking how sad it was that the only thing the MaxKids listened to or read were the Bible and missionary biographies. 

42 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Teri likes that her Christian Audible service has a family plan that includes up to 5 dependent family members.

I hate to break it to Teri that adult children who aren't in school and don't have special needs are not considered dependents. 

I was just thinking that this must be why Jesse has his own house now. They need to get him married off so that they fit within the 5 family member limit. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived