IGNORED

Maxwell 25: Pies, Cakes, Tarts, and Tortes

Coconut Flan

36 minutes ago, Rosie said:

There were eight hours allotted to each mommy's retreat in the schedule.  Not seven hours, not nine hours, and certainly not 24 hours.  For pete's sake, get with the program.  The schedule rules all.

And why/how was it a surprise if it was in a suitcase?  Why did Melanie need a suitcase to go down the street for eight hours?  If she was told she needed the suitcase, then how was it a surprise?

Questions, I have so many questions.

This is how I read it:  Melanie was getting ready to go for her retreat and Abby brought her her favorite blanket to take with her in the suitcase.  The surprise was Abby giving it to her to take with, the act of love.  Maybe Abby had thought about it earlier and kept it a secret from her mom for fun, hence the surprise.

Since I wasn't confused does this mean I'm thinking like a Maxwell now?

10 hours ago, Granwych said:

Would John actually eat those things now that he's enjoyed Chels' s  wondrous cooking?

Idk, I still love some weird foods that aren't technically good because they're the taste of home.  I promise you I eat stuff that if the Maxwells made it FJ would mock for 20 pages!

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

This is how I read it:  Melanie was getting ready to go for her retreat and Abby brought her her favorite blanket to take with her in the suitcase.  The surprise was Abby giving it to her to take with, the act of love.  Maybe Abby had thought about it earlier and kept it a secret from her mom for fun, hence the surprise.

Since I wasn't confused does this mean I'm thinking like a Maxwell now?

Idk, I still love some weird foods that aren't technically good because they're the taste of home.  I promise you I eat stuff that if the Maxwells made it FJ would mock for 20 pages!

But why on earth did Melanie need a suitcase to go down the street for eight hours?  

I'm sure it has its own internal logic, for those of you (that would be you, HerNameIsBuffy) who think as Maxwells do.

21 minutes ago, Rosie said:

But why on earth did Melanie need a suitcase to go down the street for eight hours?  

Because Abby put it in a suitcase for her mommy to take as a surprise. 

Seriously, what am I missing?  :pb_lol:

Maybe Abby has better sense than most Maxwells, and thought "retreat" meant something different than "going next door for 8 hours?"

I mean, it was nice to do that for the moms. But to call it a "retreat" seems to be overstating things a bit. "A few hours off" would be more accurate. But if 3 animal crackers count as "dessert", I guess 8 hours in grandma's house could sort of be a "retreat".

My "day with the Lord" would have been an 8-hour nap accompanied by delicious food. 

This is a lovely idea for Anna Marie and Melanie, but yeesh, the writing makes me want to scream! I'm in the midst of writing a book, and the Maxwells are on my mind quite a bit. Editing sessions are exercises in ensuring clarity, flow, and Not Sounding Like a Maxwell.   "Oh god, does that sentence sound like something a Maxwell wrote? Mr. Allison, does this sound like a sentence Teri wrote?" My poor husband is the picture of patience.

3 minutes ago, AllisonWndrland said:

My "day with the Lord" would have been an 8-hour nap accompanied by delicious food. 

This is a lovely idea for Anna Marie and Melanie, but yeesh, the writing makes me want to scream! I'm in the midst of writing a book, and the Maxwells are on my mind quite a bit. Editing sessions are exercises in ensuring clarity, flow, and Not Sounding Like a Maxwell.   "Oh god, does that sentence sound like something a Maxwell wrote? Mr. Allison, does this sound like a sentence Teri wrote?" My poor husband is the picture of patience.

Again, if you need to add sparkle, Anna’s your woman. 

5 minutes ago, OhNoNike said:

Again, if you need to add sparkle, Anna’s your woman. 

I need to see if they will do consulting sessions. 

I’m embarrassed by how impressed I am over Anna’s balloons animals. They’re fancy! I’m surprised Steve hasn’t said they’ve become an idol and popped them all by now. 

4 hours ago, NeckPunch said:

?

Anyway, I am another who sees how supportive the Maxwells are to their "extended family". It would be nice if these moms could, you know, register the kids in daycare and public school and go to work, and then go on mini girls weekends with friends, and indulge in some wine in the evenings to unwind, but that isn't their reality, so this is a really nice gesture. 

I agree. We live 5 hours away from any family. This weekend all 4 of us came down with a terrible cold and between the baby and the preschooler waking often, my hubs snoring and coughing loudly next to me and my own illness I might have gotten 6 hours total sleep all weekend.  What I wouldn't give to have "aunties" nearby to come help out and let  me nap for an hour or two  Leave it to the Maxwells to take something that could be such a positive, like multigenerational "living" (whether that be in the same house or the same town, whatever) and make it so....weird. 

1 minute ago, bluelady said:

I agree. We live 5 hours away from any family. This weekend all 4 of us came down with a terrible cold and between the baby and the preschooler waking often, my hubs snoring and coughing loudly next to me and my own illness I might have gotten 6 hours total sleep all weekend.  What I wouldn't give to have "aunties" nearby to come help out and let  me nap for an hour or two  Leave it to the Maxwells to take something that could be such a positive, like multigenerational "living" (whether that be in the same house or the same town, whatever) and make it so....weird. 

I’m sorry. That’s been going around. My youngest had it and finally got over it this past Sunday and now my husband has it. I’m so afraid I’m going to get it! It’s the one with the cough right? I know so many people with that right now. It sucks. 

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m sorry. That’s been going around. My youngest had it and finally got over it this past Sunday and now my husband has it. I’m so afraid I’m going to get it! It’s the one with the cough right? I know so many people with that right now. It sucks. 

The cough is terrible!  Fingers crossed you avoid it!

57 minutes ago, AllisonWndrland said:

She was referred to me as well.  Want to see if we can get an FJ group rate?

27 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m embarrassed by how impressed I am over Anna’s balloons animals. They’re fancy! I’m surprised Steve hasn’t said they’ve become an idol and popped them all by now. 

I will NEVER be able to watch this again and not see Steve as pincushion man - i totally blame you.

1 hour ago, AllisonWndrland said:

Two pre reqs:

1) Is your last name Maxwell?

2) Do you know where you’re going when you die? (Trick question)

54 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I can see the addition to the schedule: "SPARKLE CONSULT WITH HEATHENS IN PANTS"

2 minutes ago, AllisonWndrland said:

I can see the addition to the schedule: "SPARKLE CONSULT WITH HEATHENS IN PANTS"

Which one of us will show up in contrasting buttons, and which of us will be drinking Pepsi?  

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Which one of us will show up in contrasting buttons, and which of us will be drinking Pepsi?  

I already signed up for the pizza cutter and cherry pitter. 

But first, let us pray. 

1 minute ago, OhNoNike said:

I already signed up for the pizza cutter and cherry pitter. 

But first, let us pray. 

We can pray all you like, but I know where I'm going when I die.  But if I tell Steve he won't let us in...I'm not exactly headed in the up elevator with the Maxwell clan.

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I will NEVER be able to watch this again and not see Steve as pincushion man - i totally blame you.

I bet Steve walks just like Pincushion man. It’s quite the villainous walk. 

12 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I bet Steve walks just like Pincushion man. It’s quite the villainous walk. 

Good - now I'm not going to be the only one with haunted dreams.

So due to going through a very rough patch of life lately (don't worry, I'll spare you the tldr) I've been thinking a lot of choices and more specifically the different lifestyle choices like we see with Steve and Teri.

I have no doubt if they could look at my life right now they would smugly judge me for the choices I've made in my life and rightly assert they are responsible for my struggles right now.  Sometimes I think about Teri's life and I'm a little jealous.

The lack of responsibility.  For good or for ill he took full responsibility for everything in their lives and as the infamous pizza story tells us, she was more than happy to abdicate all grown up responsibility and let him handle it all.

Seems convenient.  If you have no agency your unhappiness is someone else's fault.  If you can convince yourself it's the better way you can enjoy the relaxing inner life without guilt of the harm to your kids.

Never worrying about money?  No responsibility to financially support your family, just trust the headship.  Ngl - it sounds really, really good right now.

So here's my question...what would happen Teri, or any wife in similar circumstances, decided not to obey?

I assume if the kids rebelled they'd be cast out and written off as a loss to the evil world, but they don't believe in divorce so what happens when it's the helpmeet who just decides she will wear whatever normal clothing she likes, perhaps get a job outside the home, perhaps enjoy a Pepsi on occasion...perhaps decide to clean and prepare meals based on something other than a prepared schedule.  Maybe she wants to reevaluate her relationship with God personally and so withdraws from family bible study to explore on her own.

Not leaving him, no fighting or rage - just deciding not to follow instructions on the trivial.

What does a guy like Steve do?  Divorce isn't an option.  What would they do if their wives gave a civil, quiet, but firm no.

This part has nothing to do with me, I'm just curious as to what you all think he'd do in that hypothetical.

16 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

This part has nothing to do with me, I'm just curious as to what you all think he'd do in that hypothetical.

I'm not heavily Maxwell-fluent, but might he spend every waking moment praying loudly for her to submit, read Bible verses at her all day, and weep about "the sinful hardness of her heart" if she didn't immediately apologize and back down?

2 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Two pre reqs:

1) Is your last name Maxwell?

2) Do you know where you’re going when you die? (Trick question)

It seems to me the correct answer to 2) is either "yes" or "no". End of conversation. And I know exactly where I'm going when I die--to the friendly local crematorium, and then the ashes get scattered on Mt. Rainier. So there!

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived