IGNORED

Maxwell 25: Pies, Cakes, Tarts, and Tortes

Coconut Flan

@Palimpsest The Last Time I Saw Paris. So i have no idea why that song is in my head. Google makes me think it’s the Ann Sothern or Dean Martin version. I used to listen to the classical music station’s Night on The Town program on Saturday nights - because i was a dork. Several hours of classic Broadway and film music. Or possibly my grandparents. It’s definitely in there,

(I thought it was on an episode of Mad Men too, apparently not)

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Sorry, Monty Python.

I'm sure they would approve.

I know the thread has moved on, but I just read the posts about Ellie not being with pup yet, and I think I've figured out why. Steve insists that she and the stud dog need to have a wedding first, and, after he goes on about

Spoiler

DEATH

for an hour and a half, the poor dog can't get it up. In fact, he's zoned out on a dog bed, snoring and chasing dream rabbits, and just can't get up!

I completely missed the post on Ellie's non-happening litter.

I could have sworn Ellie was already pregnant and due in November. but perhaps:

• Sarah has revised the site to say that they will take deposits "when Ellie is bred," or
  • Ellis saw that they were not going to check references for her "rare" puppies' future owners and decided not to go into heat, or
  • Ellie delivered her litter and they looked just like the milkman's mixed breed dog.

Sarah's backyard breeder site is still up though:  https://kansasgoldens.com/

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Ellis saw that they were not going to check references for her "rare" puppies' future owners and decided not to go into heat

Wouldn't it be great if that was possible? "Neener, neener, humans, I'm not going to let you sell my pups to any schmuck with money!"

Or, as Todd Akin might put it, "If it’s legitimate backyard breeding, the female body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down."

4 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Wouldn't it be great if that was possible? "Neener, neener, humans, I'm not going to let you sell my pups to any schmuck with money!"

Or, as Todd Akin might put it, "If it’s legitimate backyard breeding, the female body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down."

Damn, now I wish us women could prevent pregnancy with our minds! Super convenient, no side effects...

Actually rabbits can, and do, reabsorb fetal kits in adverse conditions and if stressed.  Sensible creatures.

Ellie may have had a "silent" heat that these amateurs missed noticing, but Sarah should get her checked by a vet if they were expecting her to go into estrus "any day" back in August.  Ellie could be hyperthyroid or starting pyometra.  And that can be life-threatening.  Also the longer Ellie remains unspayed the greater the risk of mammary tumors for her.

PSA for the Maxhellions:  Spay or neuter your pets!  Don't try to breed Ellie.

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

Spay or neuter your pets!  Don't try to breed Ellie.

Yes!  Just love her.

Ellie has such a sweetness in her face - she doesn't need to do anything to earn her keep, the pure love she gives should be enough.

On 11/9/2018 at 12:49 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

So what happened if neither of them had cash?  

or if one spouse came home at the end of the day and there was more money in the jar than there had been that morning? ?

If I were a person of faith, I would pray:  may God lay it on Sarah’s heart to volunteer at Leavenworth’s animal shelter(s).  May the Lord help her see the unwanted dogs, in all manner of breeds, waiting patiently for owners that may never come.  May Sarah then hear from God that this endeavor with her dear sweet Ellie is nothing but chasing rainbows and will only take forever homes away from the shelter dogs.

11 minutes ago, catlady said:

If I were a person of faith, I would pray:  may God lay it on Sarah’s heart to volunteer at Leavenworth’s animal shelter(s).  May the Lord help her see the unwanted dogs, in all manner of breeds, waiting patiently for owners that may never come.  May Sarah then hear from God that this endeavor with her dear sweet Ellie is nothing but chasing rainbows and will only take forever homes away from the shelter dogs.

I have a feeling if that were laid upon her heart it would be removed the second she spoke to her father about it.

I wish they could see that regardless of who Steve thinks he's following the rest of them aren't following the Lord ... they are following Steve.

There entire lives are one endless game of Follow the Leader and Teri and the kids are terribly good at it.

43 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

or if one spouse came home at the end of the day and there was more money in the jar than there had been that morning? ?

Especially if that had been the milk delivery day??!!

@Palimpsest,  I remember all too well when I was working as my brother's vet assistant the night when a pet owner brought in their elderly bitch with pyometra.  The dog's condition was so low that my brother felt that she might not survive the surgery, but it was her only hope at life.  We prepped for the surgery and then proceeded to spay this poor dog who should have been spayed years before.  Her uterus was about the size of a smallish balloon and it was filled with pus.  The dog did very well with the surgery and my brother spent the rest of the night with to keep watch on her.  After a few days, she went home and we hoped that the dog would enjoy a few more years of life.  Nope, the stupid idiot owners let her chase cars and she was hit by one.  This happened within a month.  Such a tragic waste of a life!

Given Sarah's issues with timing (fall, late fall, when she goes into heat....) she is clearly too stupid and ill educated to be breeding her dog. They are trying to make money, period. Reputable breeders know a thing or two about a bitch's body, cycle, possibilities, etc. They also know not to predict what hasn't happened while asking for close to 2k for each possible result. 

Backyard breeders are abhorrent, so it comes as no surprise that the Maxwells are trying to get in on that. 

So my questions are: is Steve refuting to their cat, angry Arnold? Does Christian refur to the name? 

*I’m pretty sure I know the answer to both just want to know Steve’s answers. 

AE88C75B-3B74-4EB3-B44E-F82B2364C839.thumb.png.67cd5a1fa63e3dd839c28aa6647d9abb.png

On 10/17/2018 at 10:14 AM, punkiepie said:

I had to read it several times before I understood what actually happened and I still have questions.  Like, if Melanie brought a suitcase with her that was filled with only Abby's blanket, was that really a surprise?  Why did NR Anna have to be out of the house by 9am?  If it was her retreat day, why did she have to rush so much to get out by a certain time, causing her to skip breakfast?  Is it because even the retreat day was so overly scheduled?  Is that Nathan and Melanie's trampoline? Is that new?  Seems like too much unstructured fun- Steve must be weeping.

Like Sarah's books, this post was a similar combination of too many details where it was unnecessary and then big gaping holes where more details would have helped in overall readability and cohesion. 

So this is a very belated question, but it occurred to me today:  why didn’t Elissa have a mommy retreat, as Melanie and Anna Marie did?

22 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

So my questions are: is Steve refuting to their cat, angry Arnold? Does Christian refur to the name? 

*I’m pretty sure I know the answer to both just want to know Steve’s answers. 

AE88C75B-3B74-4EB3-B44E-F82B2364C839.thumb.png.67cd5a1fa63e3dd839c28aa6647d9abb.png

Thank you, Sanctimonious Steve.

40 minutes ago, Rosie said:

So this is a very belated question, but it occurred to me today:  why didn’t Elissa have a mommy retreat, as Melanie and Anna Marie did?

Invisible Elissa hasn't shot out enough arrows to qualify for mommy retreat yet.  Either that or Smug Joe didn't want it broadcasted on the blog.

1 hour ago, Rosie said:

Maybe that would have been too many grandkids for the others to watch?

Plus, Elissa's kids are what, 3 & 9 months? They're not homeschooling yet and we all know Teri puts value on homeschooling above all else. What would she need a break from at this point since she isn't sacrificing herself in the trenches of edumakashum?

Oh she only has two?  She probably doesn’t deserve one yet.  Hardly put in any work.

(sarcastically said. I have two myself, and this is plenty for us. As it is, my older child complained the other day I don’t spent much time with her... can’t imagine many more, myself)

32 minutes ago, OhNoNike said:

As it is, my older child complained the other day I don’t spent much time with her

Are you not scheduling a 15 minute per week appointment with her a la Duggar and Bates?

what kind of mother are you?  :) 

4 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

It's like @fundiefan said. The retreat was only for homeschooling mom's. Elissa should qualify in a few years for a full day of uninterrupted praying next door.

I hope she has that marked on her calendar.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived