IGNORED

NaNoWriMo 2018

clueliss

I personally encourage everyone to rebel rather than give up. How will you learn how you write unless you write? It is still blood sweat and tears going on the page. Unless you are already a writer that can crank out prose, it is still a stretch. It is worth it. 

I'm being a rebel, too. A lot of what I'm doing is rearranging, rewriting, and revising. Along with some new writing. I think I may be as much as 1/3 of the way in, but there will be a lot more new writing to do in the later parts.

I'm testing out a new structure for the story, because it has about 4 different groups in different places who slowly weave together toward the main action of the book. I'm trying to keep everybody involved from the beginning, without things getting too scattered.

I drafted the final scene this morning while walking to work. On the notepad of my phone ,with tons of spellign errers.

I write really melodramatic fanfiction on Archive of Our Own and some friends there and I are doing a "mini" NaNWriMo. The goal isn't so much a word count as much as a finished product of some sort--a story, a chapter for a work that's been in progress a long time, or even a dirty limerick. Just *something*.

Not as cool as a real novel, but it is fun to write and get feedback from other internet people.

woohoo, totally forgot to check in here on the first. ? i don't really have a specific project i'm doing, i'm just trying to work on my wip fics that i already have going (i have five, currently) and i also had a requested one-shot that i completed. and ... somehow ... it's working! i've had a few of my wip fics that i haven't updated in mooooonths and yet, now, i'm all caught up! the oldest update i've posted was six days ago, and i'm working on the next chapter for that fic and plan to have it posted tomorrow. i'm not sure if i'll be able to keep it up, but it is nice to not have fics that have been waiting for updates since august ...

as far as total word count, as of this moment i'm sitting at 20,056. i'm not writing as voraciously as i was last year, but i am writing consistently, and i think that's healthier for me. and hopefully that'll mean i won't be totally burned out come december. i think part of that is because i was doing kinktober last month and i had to stay in a groove in order to stay ahead, and so i've just stayed in that same groove. (i think this is an indication i will need to do kinktober next year, too. because writing tons of smut fics totally counts as nano prep for me, apparently.)

good luck everybody! we can do it!

I had a moment of panic this morning.  I use Scrivener and save my projects to a drop box.  Well, I wrote at home last night and went to capture something in my head at work first thing this morning.  Only my words (due to Dropbox/sync issues is my guess) I thought I had lost yesterday evening's writing.  But I do have auto backups set up.  So I just had to go searching for how to get to them (and then figure out the danged things are zipped and I had to copy to a different place and get to the unzipped legitimate file.  And I retrieved my work.  Thank you google and auto backup.  

yikes, that's scary! it's such a gut punch when you think you've lost some of your work. i'm the kind of person that is constantly hitting cmd + s to save after every few sentences. for my nano this year, since i'm doing multiple wip (and any one-shot inspirations that may come up) i already have the different pages docs set up for my wip fics, and i also set up one for nanowrimo, so when i write in and add to the wip file, i c&p over to the nanowrimo dump doc so i have all my words in one place (and it will also be much easier to verify it at the end of the month). so, i'm constantly going back and forth between files and saving just to make sure everything is on the same page!

Scrivener settings do the auto backup.  Including saving after a period of inactivity.  And the backup files are stored in a separate location that you choose within the app.  When I used Word for my writing I always used autosave.  And the beauty of google docs is that it is good about keeping your work safe (good for mental data dumps).  

you know, i considered moving my stuff to google docs from my pages app. i actually set up a document and copied it and tried to paste it over in the google doc, but ... idk, i guess it was too large or something and it froze up on me. i suppose i could do it in smaller increments, but i'm not sure how the performance would be with longer docs like that, so i just gave up.

I have sort of given up.  I was stressing myself out over the weekend and called a halt to this for the sake of my mental health.  And work takes a priority this week.  This was just a weird year with multiple October things shifting into November.  And the stuff I prepped to work on decided not to flow for me.  I'll be cheering you all on as I assess what the heck I'm doing direction wise as a writer.  

I've taken a bit of a break, but I was ahead enough that I think I'll still pull through. I'm going to jump back in tonight and see if I can't get this finished by end of November. 

On the plus side, I did some random brainstorming in a journal a day or two ago, and figured out more of the antagonist's motivations. So that's good! I'm going to need to work some more of that in a bit earlier than it is now, but it should help the character a lot. I have a better idea now why he's being such an ass.

I've also read two books in the time I've been on a break, and that should help as well. Different genre, but still - it'll help me see how my stuff compares to a pro.

On 11/12/2018 at 3:21 PM, clueliss said:

I have sort of given up.  I was stressing myself out over the weekend and called a halt to this for the sake of my mental health.  And work takes a priority this week.  This was just a weird year with multiple October things shifting into November.  And the stuff I prepped to work on decided not to flow for me.  I'll be cheering you all on as I assess what the heck I'm doing direction wise as a writer.  

there's not a hug react, so :hug:

I've been working through this a bit at a time, and I'm feeling like I will get this done! Some of the characters have got a lot more personality and development now. My current mini-goal is to get everything together and in order, even if some of the chapters or scenes just say "write about this here" as placeholders. Then I can fill in those placeholder gaps. I want to get it to the point of being "complete" and then print it out and read through it with a pen in hand. I'd like to be able to have some people read it for me around the end of the year.

14 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Dear MMC,

No, you cannot think "seems legit" when you're in a historical fiction novel.   

ooo, what time period? researching is fun, just don't let it bog you down. if it gets to be more than five minutes of looking, just put a placeholder in your writing and go back to it later.

i officially "won" on the 23rd, but i'm still writing, just seeing how much i can actually generate in a month. i'm currently sitting at just shy of 57k and i'm still going.

so, final count (as i don't plan on writing anymore today): 70,526. in comparison, last year i finished earlier (on the 18th) by writing voraciously to begin with, but i tapered off and only ended up with a total word count of 55,423. consistent writing > quick writing. especially since i don't feel like i'm burned out like i did last year! :D 

I met the goal word count, but still haven't finished the book. I have, however, half-finished knitting a sweater, started walking 20 minutes most days again, and slept a LOT.

Eh, I'll get there. It's on the right track now, at least! I think it was ambitious to think I could finish it all this time of year - somehow November and December seem to run in fast forward for me, and I always end up frantically taking care of last minute things in the last week of the year.

Archived