IGNORED

Lady Lydia: Still Living in an Alternate Universe

danvillebelle

On 10/13/2018 at 7:23 PM, formergothardite said:

Lydia and Jill Rod are the two who don't get supporters coming to defend them. Even John Shrader had someone pop in to come to his defense. 

We need a reaction button for “interesting” or “informative” or “educational”.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

In which Lydia's readers are treated to charming vignettes from her friend's house: kuva.png.4e14c84c65490a90f5916e72959deda1.png

Blogging would be awful... if you'd have to write something every day or so, and nothing ever happened to you, so you'd have to photograph magazines on tables.

If I was blogging about my life you'd get pictures of matchless socks or something

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 9

Scrolling through, I’m amazed by a two main things. One is Lydia’s astonishing ignorance. My great-grandmother had  8 kids — 7 who survived infancy (vaccines are wonderful, especially for whooping cough). She was a married Christian immigrant whose husband went blind due to his welding career. Guess who had to get a job to support the family? And yes, they also had a big garden, chickens, and a cow who required twice daily milking...they even churned the butter. But she did have to work while the family did their best to keep going. The only one who died was the baby who contracted whooping cough before vaccines were available.

Here’s the second source of my amazement—this awesome ad for a FREE Book of Mormon! How I’ve been awaiting such an opportunity! I might be swooning even as I type. .

AD42ABEE-6281-45BF-8180-6BA4CFA9B6E3.png

Edited by apandaaries
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

• 1 month later...

So apparently Lady Lydia wants to change the date of Thanksgiving, to the same day as Canadian Thanksgiving. She thinks it’s silly to have two different ones, like having two Christmas Days she says. The reasons for having it when it’s currently held aren’t very convincing. So, from next year, she’ll celebrate Thanksgiving on the same day Canadians do. 

• WTF 1
  • Haha 13

26 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

So apparently Lady Lydia wants to change the date of Thanksgiving, to the same day as Canadian Thanksgiving. She thinks it’s silly to have two different ones, like having two Christmas Days she says. The reasons for having it when it’s currently held aren’t very convincing. So, from next year, she’ll celebrate Thanksgiving on the same day Canadians do. 

Well then, Happy Thanksgiving Lyds!  Does she think US and Canadian guinea pigs should celebrate the same Thanksgiving date with a giant salad?  asking for a friend...

• Haha 8

Ooh, giant salad. 

British guinea pigs don’t do Thanksgiving but Christmas is an idea...

• Upvote 1
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

She thinks it’s silly to have two different ones, like having two Christmas Days she says.

I’m Russian so having two Christmases is not all that crazy to me. We celebrate on the 12/25 but 1/7 the Orthodox Christmas is also observed.

Is LL Canadian? Why is she having an issue with American thanksgiving holiday observance? 

• Upvote 8

26 minutes ago, Mrs. Bean said:

I’m Russian so having two Christmases is not all that crazy to me. We celebrate on the 12/25 but 1/7 the Orthodox Christmas is also observed.

Is LL Canadian? Why is she having an issue with American thanksgiving holiday observance? 

She says in the post that her mom is/was Canadian. 

• Thank You 3

She’s in America now and possession is 9/10’s of the law.  She’s all yours we don’t want her.  That goes for Justin Bieber too! :happy:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I do applaud her good sense in not trying to force the Canadians to move their Thanksgiving to November. If only she was as willing to compromise on some of her other positions. Still, good luck getting your hands on a fresh turkey in October in the US. . .

Does she really not know that there are two Christmas days (~January 7 for Eastern Orthdox) and two Easters (April 28, 2019 for Eastern Orthodox and April 21 for the rest of the Christians)

ETA that one of these days I will learn to read to the end of a thread before posting so I don't simply repeat what others have already written.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 5

Sometimes the thread jumping really makes my head spin. I went from the missionary thread (which I have been avoiding for a few days) to “Lydia says we should have one Thanksgiving.” ?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Oh, @PennySycamore, THANKS for the "Sixty Minute Man"...

It was, of course, enshrined in the movie "Bull Durham", starring Susan Sarandon, KEvin Costner, and a young Tim Robbins.

Fun to watch...

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Forgot to mention... she thinks it’d be a good idea to try and persuade Congress to get it changed. 

I don’t see that working out, somehow.

• Haha 9

On 10/10/2018 at 7:12 AM, danvillebelle said:

This was too good not to share.

She and her husband are on a road trip.  Apparently, she has been isolated in her shabby chic alternate reality for so long that:

1. She didn't know speed limits went up to 70.

2. She didn't realize cities are crowded places.

3. She doesn't seem to understand that tea rooms aren't as plentiful as fast food restaurants.

4. She forgot that you have to push buttons in an elevator to make it move.  :562479351e8d1_wtf(2):

https://homeliving.blogspot.com/

Hello, Glad to see you paying attention to me again! Regarding your apparently astonished comments about my post on driving through Las Vegas: The post was a tongue-in-cheek humorous description of a country girl going at high speed, which never happens around here. Obviously you don't have much to talk about but thanks for giving my blog much higher stats with your typical .....and of course I present myself as being very country, and a lot of it is just for amusement. I have driven by myself in Dallas, Topeka, Seattle, Calgary, Hobart, San Francisco, and many other places.  However after being away from that speed for a long time, I found it amusing to compare.  It  is quite a contrast from driving behind a tractor on a country road to being a door-handle distance from a huge truck at 80 mph.  I was being humorous. To make an entire article about what an alternate world I live in (which is largely a setting I created for my blog, due to living in the country and my interest in Victorian decor and costume), makes me know what kind of work you are really in.  You sent my stats up quite high.  The post you refer to is suppose to be irony, not some dumb cluck woman who doesn't know how to push the elevator button.  Its just that we had not been in multi-storey level hotel in many years as we live in the country for the last 45 years...and I thought is was hilarious. These are the things good stories are made of but you should have got my permission to publish about me.  There should be no reason to critique the post, since it was all making fun of ourselves and our country bumpkin ways.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Bless Your Heart 3
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

Hi @Lydia. I don't know much about you, but since you enjoy critiquing others on your blog, surely you can understand that turn about is fair play! I'm afraid the "irony" you mentioned didn't come across as you intended in the post referenced above.

Also, no permission is required to discuss the public internet presence of a person, or indeed to discuss said person at all. The clothing choices of hurricane victims, for instance, are a poor subject for criticism, but no permission is required to discuss them. 

I'm being tongue in cheek (slightly), and I don't find your blog objectionable except when you say judgmental things about people who don't follow your personal norms. Stick to stories about yourself and leave out the judgy bits, perhaps?

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, Lydia said:

Regarding your apparently astonished comments about my post on driving through Las Vegas: The post was a tongue-in-cheek humorous description of a country girl going at high speed, which never happens around here.

If you're driving on I-15 in Vegas, do 80 or get off the road. I live here and can tell you that speed limit signs are just roadside decorations, same with stop lights and stop signs. 

And, since I know you will ask...no, I don't live in a hotel. Yes, we have stores and churches and houses and parks just like any other city. Yes, it's a big city. No, we don't mind it one bit. No, the locals do not go to the strip except for special occasions. No, not all of us drink, gamble and whore around. Yes, there are slot machines in the 7-11. No, we don't care how you do things back east, up north or anywhere else. Vegas is Vegas and is pretty unique. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Lydia said:

These are the things good stories are made of but you should have got my permission to publish about me.  

No, we don't. You made it public. And here is a hint, if you want to write things in a joking manner, make sure people can pick up on that. You wrote it in a way that made it seem like both of you really didn't understand how to push elevator buttons. 

Also, do you really think women didn't work full time back in the Victorian times? Is that an actual thing you believe or just one of your jokes that none of us get?. The paintings you show is a very tiny part of life in the past. Many girls left their homes at a young age and were full time working women for a long time. Why do you not portray that part of Victorian history on your blog? The parts where women did filthy, exhausting jobs for little pay. 

• Upvote 17
  • Love 4

@Lydia darling, since you stopped by, please solve for us the cunning mystery of your age. How old are you, really, dear?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

If you're driving on I-15 in Vegas, do 80 or get off the road. I live here and can tell you that speed limit signs are just roadside decorations, same with stop lights and stop signs. 

Quoted for absolute truth. Crosswalks are also suggestions and the cabbies are just as nuts as NYC.
  • Upvote 4

Darn it, she hasn't been back...I was all excited that one of "our" fundies was here to play! 

I don't think we're really her scene, though.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

@Lydia, if that post was supposed to be a joke, it fell very flat. Here's a hint, if you're trying to write something ironically humorous, your audience should probably be able to tell. This can be accomplished by using a different tone than the rest of your writing. Since your post was priggish and dripping with unfounded smugness, its tone was no different than the bulk of your everyday writing. Thus, we couldn't tell you were joking. Which i highly doubt you actually were.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

When I drove in Vegas a few years ago, I found traffic to be moving slower than expected. We stayed on the Strip, but spent most of our days out at Red Rock Canyon. I've been thinking that people just drive slow because they are vacation? The roads are so nice (compared to where I live) that I thought everyone would be speeding along, but ... not so much, it seemed. Then when we went back last year (and drove down to Arizona), there was a lot more traffic and higher speeds, but still nothing unmanageable. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

Darn it, she hasn't been back...I was all excited that one of "our" fundies was here to play! 

I don't think we're really her scene, though.

Eh, this is her MO. No doubt she is reading all of this.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Eh, this is her MO. No doubt she is reading all of this.

For those of you lacking in the comprehension part of the brain, the brakes on the passenger side were not working.  A comment said we were driving with faulty breaks. It was the passenger side, the passenger side.  One of my readers responded that she has a steering wheel on the passenger side that doesn't work either. See if you can figure it out. As for humor, my readers do have enough comprehension to understand it and I don't have to spell it out like a gradeschool/highschool class.  I'm must so happy you are reading my blog , but you are the ones coming off foolish, with your stupid conclusions. Even an 8 year old could figure out the humor without explanation.

• Bless Your Heart 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 2