IGNORED

Lady Lydia: Still Living in an Alternate Universe

danvillebelle

15 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

think I may have found the wedding dress chair picture in question.  Although I didn't find anything on the post about raptured brides, @Palimpsest, so maybe you were thinking of a different post? What I found is the last picture on this post. http://penny-pennystreasures.blogspot.com/2012/08/pennys-vintage-home-wedding.html#more  Penny wrote: "What can you do when you have a surplus of vintage wedding dresses???  Cover your dining room chairs with them , of course!!!!"

LOL.  That is indeed the right picture but I'm probably the only one who calls it the raptured brides.  I have a twisted imagination, perhaps.

To me there's something almost macabre about it.  Imagine 6 Misses Havisham sitting down to dinner in their wedding dresses and the Rapture happens.  Their bodies disappear and only the dresses remain.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture

As for the many dresses - is it surplus or excess?  I'd say the latter.  Very Penny.  Although she did use a couple to make the Christmas tree ...  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

https://homeliving.blogspot.com/2018/08/maintaining-your-house-when-there-is.html

Nothing says "a functioning adult" better than needing a friend to prompt you to get dressed and read the internet aloud to you.

"Have you had your morning tea?" Wtf, she's obsessed with tea. It's like she thinks tea-drinking is an indicator of godliness!

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4

I deeply regret to inform you all that Lady Lydia has DELETED her post about the curtains she made and hung in HER NEIGHBOR'S TRUCK because it didn't have enough pink frills on it.  This truly fills me with much sadness, and I'm not even sure the sink-tea (inferior to rain tea) I am brewing will be able to quench the despair in my soul at the loss of such a truly insane post.

However, in looking through the previous thread to try and find screenshots for the new folks, I DID find this link to a home tour by one of Lady Lydia's friends.  It's like Ms. Havisham's Haunted Mansion, and if you need an incredibly disturbing Halloween theme to unsettle your guests without being gory/scary and don't mind dusting, look no further:

http://penny-pennystreasures.blogspot.com/2013/08/welcome-home-tour.html?m=1

Sneak peak of the CHAIRS COVERED IN WEDDING DRESSES FOR THANKSGIVING, a tradition I am sure we are ALL familiar with because who DOESN'T cover their dining room in ACTUAL WEDDING DRESSES for company?

IMAG0631-001.JPG

• Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 4
  • Haha 10

Oh my god, that Penny's Vintage Home … I can hardly look at the photos. How can someone live in so much stuff?? I get panicked just seeing the amount of crap on every single surface. I don't find it remotely pretty or homey. It makes me kind of sick, haha.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 15

Forget the dresses; what the hell is that on the TABLE??  I'm having an asthma attack just looking at it!

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

On a lighter note:  the "Booth at Career Day" post is  rewarding.  https://homeliving.blogspot.com/2016/06/girls-graduating.html

Ohhhhhh, let me (high school class of 1970) and my slightly older friends pull out our yearbooks and scream as one, “THAT NEVER FREAKING HAPPENED.” Not a single one of us listed “being a housewife” as a career goal, not even those who married right after graduation. For someone like me, “fifty years ago” wasn’t the Jurassic age. It was the hippie era and the dawn of second-wave feminism, and, while most of my circle hoped to be married and have kids someday, we were more interested in college or in getting jobs so we could form a good foundation for our futures.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

24 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

IMAG0631-001.JPG

I feel like we need to look for Gwen Shamblin in there.

Edited by DancingPhalanges
Space
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 23
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, zeebaneighba said:

Forget the dresses; what the hell is that on the TABLE??  I'm having an asthma attack just looking at it!

A pink painted pumpkin.  Of course.  And that photo is so staged.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

What the hell did I look at???? I mean ... the pumpkin is pink! ... the chairs ... the tableclotheseseses ...  these ... I just can't ... I can't find enough words to describe my brain freeze... 

Plus: that woman Penny (who took the picture I suppose) must be a vampire, because there is no reflecting image in the mirror in the back of the room. Plus: vampires don't breath, so that's the only explanation how someone cold survive the amount of dust in these....things...

I have an urge to declutter every room right now. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 5

She also makes an “all season tree” out of wedding dresses. As one does, I’m sure. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6

Once you see that photo it can never be unseen. We should have a Hall of Horrors (and as I type this I am overcome with the sneezys).

ETA - So violent that I spilled ice cream all over myself and then proceeded to take allergy meds.

It could have been a coincidence :lol: ?

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 14

9 hours ago, metheglyn said:

I think I may have found the wedding dress chair picture in question.  Although I didn't find anything on the post about raptured brides, @Palimpsest, so maybe you were thinking of a different post? What I found is the last picture on this post. http://penny-pennystreasures.blogspot.com/2012/08/pennys-vintage-home-wedding.html#more  Penny wrote: "What can you do when you have a surplus of vintage wedding dresses???  Cover your dining room chairs with them , of course!!!!"

It's not quite as absurd as it sounds, since apparently they bought a bunch of vintage dresses for her daughter to try on for her wedding and they draped them over the chairs while they had them lying about. They didn't buy them specifically to drape them everywhere. But I'm baffled by buying all these dresses and THEN trying them on, rather than finding one you like at the consignment or antique store and then buying just that one.

Oh, but she's hauled them out for her seasonal dining room theme decor a few times since. But, yes, apparently that is how this particular bit of WTFery started. Revisiting that page, this caption cracked me up:

We were only expecting about 75 guests, so I didn't have to rent any chairs.  I used chairs and benches from all over the yard.

Between the porch furniture, folding chairs, and dining chairs, plus a couple of office chairs I can seat maybe 20? people? I am trying to imagine a suburban backyard that with that many chairs and benches. I thought my MIL's house was a nightmare to clean out after she passed, but she was downright spartan compared to Penny.

• Upvote 12

On 10/10/2018 at 3:11 PM, Cartmann99 said:

This reminds me of that old joke about the woman who accidentally used glitter hair spray instead of feminine deodorant spray before an appointment at the gynecologist's office. 

That’s now called vagazzling, and it’s a thing. Couple of months ago my friend had to prep a patient for c-section and had to pry off the rhinestones off the lady’s nether region, it was pretty intense. What would lady Lidiya say about the vagazzling practice? 

• WTF 5
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Lisafer said:

"Have you had your morning tea?" Wtf, she's obsessed with tea. It's like she thinks tea-drinking is an indicator of godliness!

To be fair, you can ask the helpmeets how much sense I make before my tea. I don't think it makes me particularly godly though, especially since I don't believe in a god per se. I'm genuinely confused how tea could make me more like Jesus. :confusion-confused:

(Spoiler: it's none not very much.)

9 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Sneak peak of the CHAIRS COVERED IN WEDDING DRESSES FOR THANKSGIVING, a tradition I am sure we are ALL familiar with because who DOESN'T cover their dining room in ACTUAL WEDDING DRESSES for company?

This room makes me sneeze EVERY time I see it. NOPE NOPE NOPE too many dust catchers!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

@AmazonGrace I will have to add that to my "homemaking notebook" as per her copyright statement: 

"You are welcome to print out articles and photographs for your homemaking notebook. "

:giggle:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13

I forgot about that dining room, it's kind of awesome. I have a weakness for kitsch and glitzy stuff but this is overload. Perfect for a Halloween party though! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Wrong memory for me, but now we've all had a wedding dress refresher. But my question is, since I mistook Lydia for Penny, do I go down the Lydia rabbit hole, or do I just forget her?

2 hours ago, LittleOwl said:

@AmazonGrace I will have to add that to my "homemaking notebook" as per her copyright statement: 

"You are welcome to print out articles and photographs for your homemaking notebook. "

:giggle:

You are supposed to carry your homemaking notebook around in your homemaking basket.  Lydia has a whole post on that.  Your basket contains the notebook, your Bible, pretty tea cup and teas bags (you never know when you will need a cuppa), and other inspirational stuff.  I wouldn't know.  I have a housework bucket that I take from room to room.  It contains cleaning supplies.

44 minutes ago, nellautumngirl said:

I forgot about that dining room, it's kind of awesome. I have a weakness for kitsch and glitzy stuff but this is overload. Perfect for a Halloween party though! 

Imagine all those empty dresses getting up and dancing for Halloween. :mouse-shock:

16 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

do I go down the Lydia rabbit hole, or do I just forget her?

Go down the Lydia rabbit hole!  She's worth it,  I'm still trying to find her post on how to drink tea.  And the one on how to entertain guests with hard boiled eggs and wilting processed cheese product displayed on a Dollar Store cake stand.

I just found her resume again:: 

Lydia Sherman considers the home the domain of the woman and has spent much of her life in pursuit of maintaining its sanctity by being a proud mother, homeschooler and homemaker. Sherman was raised in Alaska, living through the territory's transformation into a state. Her father was a fisherman, whom she used to help during fishing season. At home, creative arts were encouraged, and Lydia Sherman learned to paint and sketch. Self-expression through artistic endeavors became and continues to be a principal creed for Sherman in addition to her Christian faith.

In the late 1960s, her family moved to the opposite side of the globe, taking up residence on the island of Tasmania in Australia. Down under, Sherman completed her high school education and then went on to study at Burnie Technical College. During this period, she read widely and delved further into the world of art.

In 1972, Lydia Sherman returned to the United States and was married; she and her husband, a minister in the Church of Christ, have remained together for 40 years. In the 1980s, she enveloped herself in the home school movement when she became the primary educator for her children and wrote often on home school-related topics for newsletters. She continued in this role through their high school years.

In more recent years, Lydia Sherman has taken her point of view to the blogosphere, co-founding the website Ladies Against Feminism, which seeks to provide a Bible-based response to some of the main tenets of the feminist movement. In this forum and on her own blog, she has taken up the moniker of Lady Lydia Sherman, offering her advice and support to women who wish to fulfill their position in the home as educators and homemakers.

Lady Lydia Sherman also writes about Victorian art, music, and sewing. Sherman is particularly interested in recreating Victorian attire. She offers readers further inspiration in her book titled Just Breathing the Air.

https://about.me/lydia.sherman

8 hours ago, Mrs. Bean said:

That’s now called vagazzling, and it’s a thing. Couple of months ago my friend had to prep a patient for c-section and had to pry off the rhinestones off the lady’s nether region, it was pretty intense. What would lady Lidiya say about the vagazzling practice? 

She'd faint dead away.  :faint:

Then, if @Lydia is reading here again, it might provoke her out of lurkdom.  

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 10

8 hours ago, Destiny said:

To be fair, you can ask the helpmeets how much sense I make before my tea. I don't think it makes me particularly godly though, especially since I don't believe in a god per se. I'm genuinely confused how tea could make me more like Jesus. :confusion-confused:

Haven't you read that part of the Bible where Jesus turns the water into tea at the wedding in Cana? :laughing-rollingred:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

Homemaking basket? Special tea cup? I am the opposite of Lady Lydia!

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

You are supposed to carry your homemaking notebook around in your homemaking basket.  Lydia has a whole post on that.  Your basket contains the notebook, your Bible, pretty tea cup and teas bags (you never know when you will need a cuppa), and other inspirational stuff.  I wouldn't know.  I have a housework bucket that I take from room to room.  It contains cleaning supplies.

@Lydia

wait, so you're supposed carry around a tea cup and a tea bag...but you'll need to go to your kitchen anyway for hot water.  so why are you carrying those around with you? i have a bunch of different bibles, for different interpretations and such (none KJV, btw :shhh:), but they're in a cabinet or on bookshelves, if i want to read or look something up, i go and get one (or more). no need to carry around more stuff than i need when i'm cleaning. it just doesn't make any sense to me

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

23 hours ago, Lisafer said:

@formergothardite is there any way you have a link to the "drawing a picture of somebody" thing you mentioned? I'm going to look for it, but it sounds hard to find!

When I get the time I'll look. She invited friends over for tea took their picture and then drew the picture, but put different, more modest clothing on one of the guests. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 3