IGNORED

Lady Lydia: Still Living in an Alternate Universe

danvillebelle

Queen Victoria often wore the same dresses for years and years, because she was thrifty. She was actually relatively poor when her reign began, and had to pay back her father's debts. She and Albert, who was also from a relatively poor family, tried to keep expenses to minimum where they could, in order to pay those debts back and buy the various properties they did for themselves and their children. 

Actually, one of the main reasons Victoria approved of Princess Alexandra to marry the Prince of Wales was because Alexandra re-wore and re-worked her clothes over and over again. She also would wear the same things for years, and when she couldn't wear them any more, she'd use the clothes to reupholster her furniture.

I think Lady Lydia would be utterly aghast if she knew any of this.  

Edited by anjulibai
  • Upvote 17
  • Love 2

@anjulibai,  thanks for sharing that anecdote about Queen Victoria.  I think that she would have loved the fact that her great great granddaughter, Princess Elizabeth, saved up her ration coupons for the fabric for her wedding dress  when she married Philip.

• Upvote 17

kuva.png.b85b8970829d302efb1225c7cbdd1a94.png

Does she have wild hogs as pets or something? What on earth happens to a house with two adults living in it if you don't clean  for a day?

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 4

6 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Does she have wild hogs as pets or something? What on earth happens to a house with two adults living in it if you don't clean  for a day?

I think I'm going to start telling people we have wild hogs as pets if they notice my messy house.

The real reason is fatigue, depression, and two children, but wild hogs is a lot funnier! 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 5

9 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

My house again looks like a tornado went through. Mostly because I've been on the couch for a week since my unfortunate attempt at acrobatics at the DMV. However, if I could get my shit together, I'd have this place picked up again in 30 minutes. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

13 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

It’s because she has a million and one Knick knacks. It takes much longer to clean a cluttered house. That’s why I’m always amazed Jill’s house is so clean. It’s so full of stuff. But the kids are the ones cleaning it. When you have tons of clutter, you have to move a bunch of stuff to sweep and vacuum. You also have to move lots of stuff to dust. Plus you spend much more time organizing and rearranging your stuff. It’s exhausting. That’s why I got rid of a bunch of my junk. It’s much quicker and easier to clean now. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

11 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

With all the knick-knacks and frou-frou she has, I imagine that by the time she gets done dusting the last room, the first is cobwebby enough for a haunted house.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s because she has a million and one Knick knacks. It takes much longer to clean a cluttered house. That’s why I’m always amazed Jill’s house is so clean. It’s so full of stuff. But the kids are the ones cleaning it. When you have tons of clutter, you have to move a bunch of stuff to sweep and vacuum. You also have to move lots of stuff to dust. Plus you spend much more time organizing and rearranging your stuff. It’s exhausting. That’s why I got rid of a bunch of my junk. It’s much quicker and easier to clean now. 

WHY????? I'd lose what's left of my mind with shit all around. NOOOOOO! All my knick-knacks are boxed up right now and will stay that way until I have the $$ and room to get curio cabinets for them again (mostly stuff from my grandmother). This place is TOO small for any of it. I literally get itchy with too much shit around. That would stress me out too much. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

I know I have mentioned that I now think of Lori when I buy butter, Gary when I walk past the hot dog fridge at the grocery store, and am reminded of Gwen a few times.  Today, I was reminded of Lydia.  Again, in the grocery store!  But this was different, and kind of fun.  A lady who was shopping was holding a fan, one of the plastic fans with fabric - I've seen them called Japanese fans but I'm not sure if that is a nice or impolite term for them now.  Anyway, she was fanning herself as she shopped and I realized she had a very good idea.  I complimented her on the fan and she said she has them in her purse, car, every room of her house because of hot flashes.  I think I'm going to buy one next time I'm at Lydia's favorite store (Dollar Store!) and put it in my Bible, since I always get warm in church and wind up fanning myself with the bulletin, like many other women were doing last Sunday.  But I'm not going to wear any of Lydia's fog fashion!

• Upvote 9

14 hours ago, Briefly said:

I complimented her on the fan and she said she has them in her purse, car, every room of her house because of hot flashes.  I think I'm going to buy one next time I'm at Lydia's favorite store (Dollar Store!) and put it in my Bible, since I always get warm in church and wind up fanning myself with the bulletin, like many other women were doing last Sunday.

I have a pretty painted wood and fabric fan that I bought in Spain years ago.  I bought it from a street vendor as a souvenir, but it was June-July in Andalusia, and I ended up using it for the rest of the trip.  It still lives in my purse every summer.  I know it looks a bit incongruous, since I’m usually pretty casually dressed while using this fancy fan, and handheld fans like that aren’t really a thing here, but hey, it keeps me a little less uncomfortable if I’m stuck somewhere without air conditioning.

• Upvote 7

15 hours ago, Briefly said:

I complimented her on the fan and she said she has them in her purse, car, every room of her house because of hot flashes.  I think I'm going to buy one next time I'm at Lydia's favorite store (Dollar Store!) and put it in my Bible, since I always get warm in church and wind up fanning myself with the bulletin, like many other women were doing last Sunday.  But I'm not going to wear any of Lydia's fog fashion!

When I was a kid our church did not have AC but in summer there were fans in every hymnal rack. They were the cardboard-on-an-oversized-tongue-depressor style and had pictures of Jesus and scripture verses printed on them. I think I remember seeing them in the tabernacle at Bible Camp, too. 

Turns out "church fans" are a thing. https://www.amazon.com/Church-Fans-Hand-Proverbs-Quote/dp/B00570OJBE

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, Briefly said:

A lady who was shopping was holding a fan, one of the plastic fans with fabric - I've seen them called Japanese fans but I'm not sure if that is a nice or impolite term for them now.  Anyway, she was fanning herself as she shopped and I realized she had a very good idea. 

I keep a fan like that in my travel bag at all times. Excellent to have in line at Disney, to shade the sun temporarily, etc. I've already almost worn out the first one I got (at the China pavilion at Walt Disney World). I'm rarely dealing with hot flashes yet, but I still find a fan very handy.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

When I was a kid our church did not have AC but in summer there were fans in every hymnal rack. They were the cardboard-on-an-oversized-tongue-depressor style and had pictures of Jesus and scripture verses printed on them. I think I remember seeing them in the tabernacle at Bible Camp, too. 

Turns out "church fans" are a thing. https://www.amazon.com/Church-Fans-Hand-Proverbs-Quote/dp/B00570OJBE

I remember church fans!  Also funeral homes had them.  I had no idea that they are a thing and collectible, but it kind of makes sense.

• Upvote 4

On 4/24/2019 at 9:50 AM, Alisamer said:

(at the China pavilion at Walt Disney World)

I got mine at the Japan pavilion! It's super pretty, hand painted with a flower and foliage on it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

I have two fans:  one my Chinese granddaughter gave me, IIRC, and one I bought at the Jane Austen Festival last summer.  It was HOT in Louisville last July!  The festival fan is in my purse and it's got pink fabric and a wooden (sandalwood?)  frame.  The fan my granddaughter gave me opens up to an oval with the edges of the frame forming a handle.  I think that type of fan might have been an inspiration for church fans.  

@Alisamer and @Sobeknofret, when my daughter and I were at Disney World last year, we spent a lot of time looking at the fans in the Chinese and Japanese pavilions.  She wanted to get one for her BFF who is gay.  She could find one that she thought was fabulous enough for him.  They went to DragCon a few years ago and always watch DragRace together.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I have a silk folding fan (actually it's probably polyester) that I got at the gift shop attached to the mausoleum where Ho Chi Minh's body is on display in Hanoi. I expect that if I ever brought it inside a church or camp meeting it would burst into flames.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

We were headed to the Dollar Store today but didn't get there.  If I go to church tomorrow, I guess I'll still have to use the folded bulletin fan Mr. Briefly made me when we were both attending his S. Baptist church.  But I think my United Methodist church would probably not cause it to burst into flames!  @Black Aliss, you gave me a much needed laugh.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I have a white lace fan I bought in Italy.  It was probably made in China.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, wallysmommy said:

I have a white lace fan I bought in Italy.  It was probably made in China.

That seems to be true of most souvenirs all over the world!

• I Agree 3

Lydia wants you to see her handiwork and I would hate to disappoint her. She's used recycled materials, good for her.

Spoiler

kuva.png.e672a8c7c4f3fd331b95ad04f173eab7.png

In other news, she doesn't like globalists except when globalists are doing things that her husband does too.  And she has found a new technique for washing the dishes in the sink which is basically

1. Throw the trash away.

2. Wash the dishes.

3. Send photos to all your female acquaintances.

kuva.png.cf6c75bb8088441c3d23ac821b97b3e7.png

Pretty sure my mom would immediately call me a little worried if I did this. "Honey are you all right? Why did you just send me photos of your dirty dishes?"

• Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 20
  • I Agree 1

Will we get a step-by-step instruction on how to use the bathroom properly next?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

Hi Lydia! I just wanted to tell you that my sister’s kids also reused plastic produce net by putting it on their heads, but they tended to pull the whole net bag down to their chins.  They were five. I hope your granddaughter enjoys the headband you made her. 

(Seriously, the headband is cute, but it just screams “little girl.”). 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Lady Lydia,

Here is my list for washing the dishes...

1.  Put the dishes in the dishwasher.

2.  Take them out when they're done and put them away.

3.  Post about it on FreeJInger.

Edited by Carol
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

Umm...Lydia, that's been my "technique" for kitchen cleaning for years...I didn't even know it was a "technique" to publicize. Yes, this heathen, working, pants-wearing, non-sewing woman has done this for years. 

Well, I'm not working right now...but that's subject to change. 

• Upvote 6

O

4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:
  Hide contents

And she has found a new technique for washing the dishes in the sink which is basically

1. Throw the trash away.

2. Wash the dishes.

3. Send photos to all your female acquaintances.

kuva.png.cf6c75bb8088441c3d23ac821b97b3e7.png

Pretty sure my mom would immediately call me a little worried if I did this. "Honey are you all right? Why did you just send me photos of your dirty dishes?"

You’re...you’re not joking. SHE LITERALLY INCLUDES SENDING PICS TO FRIENDS AS THE LAST STEP.

I am agog.

• Haha 10
  • I Agree 1