IGNORED

Lady Lydia: Still Living in an Alternate Universe

danvillebelle

28 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

These dresses are too racy for Lydia.

kuva.png.a6a42652af15b5515c6ce771a49bb04e.png

I can guarantee-damn-tee you of you took a dollar store doily, folded it in half and pinned it inside the neckline, that pretty much nobody would think the garment was made that way.  They'd probably think "is that woman out of her mind or what?"

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 1

@PennySycamore, or they’d think the dress was an ‘80s leftover. So many dresses back then had either lace insets or doily-looking white collars.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

22 hours ago, Hane said:

or they’d think the dress was an ‘80s leftover. So many dresses back then had either lace insets or doily-looking white collars.

Yep, remember those.   I made a couple of dresses that while they did not have the inset, I would wear a lace trimmed camisole underneath for the same effect. 

• Upvote 5

I don't think my local dollar store sells lace doilies though. What will I stick inside the neckline of my Deadpool t-shirt?!

I remember Lady Lydia likes shopping for clothes at Wal-Mart. The other day I was at a Wally World and saw one of those "Time and Tru" brand dresses...cute little thing with a full skirt and buttoned bodice, collar and short sleeves, something she'd probably go for. I tried it on for kicks, looked in the mirror and saw my sixteen-year-old fundie girl self staring back at me.

I could not tear that thing off fast enough.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 17

6 hours ago, Lisafer said:

I don't think my local dollar store sells lace doilies though. What will I stick inside the neckline of my Deadpool t-shirt?!

I remember Lady Lydia likes shopping for clothes at Wal-Mart. The other day I was at a Wally World and saw one of those "Time and Tru" brand dresses...cute little thing with a full skirt and buttoned bodice, collar and short sleeves, something she'd probably go for. I tried it on for kicks, looked in the mirror and saw my sixteen-year-old fundie girl self staring back at me.

I could not tear that thing off fast enough.

You can find them at Michael's craft stores!! :)  I actually think Deadpool = lace/crochet doilies would be perfect!

I don't remember seeing any clothing enhanced with like that, but lacy collars were popular for a while in S. Texas in the 80's.  We wore a lot of prairie skirts in the late 70's into the mid-80's.  Gunne Sax by Jessica were very popular and now my daughter and her fellow Lolita-style fans are buying them up when they find them at thrift stores because they work so well with the Lolita style.

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, Briefly said:

You can find them at Michael's craft stores!! :)  I actually think Deadpool = lace/crochet doilies would be perfect!

I don't remember seeing any clothing enhanced with like that, but lacy collars were popular for a while in S. Texas in the 80's.  We wore a lot of prairie skirts in the late 70's into the mid-80's.  Gunne Sax by Jessica were very popular and now my daughter and her fellow Lolita-style fans are buying them up when they find them at thrift stores because they work so well with the Lolita style.

You've given me an idea: a cute little 50s-style dress with lace accents. In a Deadpool fabric print.

It would be amazing.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 4

If you're a woman who prefers high necklines for certain occasions, as I am, you would THINK that over time you would simply invest in several camisoles with your preferred neckline that you can layer under just about anything.  Camis are generally cheap, and if you wait for sales, you can often buy them 2 for 1 or heavily discounted from your favorite retailer.

OR you could instead safety pin an ornamental place mat from the Dollar Store on you if you prefer to waste money and look like you don't know clothing from table linen.  You would THINK a "lady" like Lydia would be VERY strict about this.  My grandmother might actually die from embarrassment if she ever caught me wearing a "modesty doily".  

That being said, I think a doily collar sounds quite fabulous and fashionable over something like a Deadpool or punk-ish tee.  

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 2

Or, you could get a large paper bag, cut out eyes, nose and mouth and call it Sleepy Hollow Wear To Scare The Shit Out Of People Looking For Me In The Fog.

Edited by Carol
  • Haha 24

I hear you,  @Lisafer. There are so many things I refuse to wear because they remind me of my fundie years. I will probably never wear a tiered, gathered skirt or blouse with a high stiff collar again. When I had my first child, I bought an above the knee denim jumper with a slit up the front and a tight skirt. I called it my homeschool mom uniform. No prairie muffins here!

• Upvote 5

33 minutes ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

I hear you,  @Lisafer. There are so many things I refuse to wear because they remind me of my fundie years. I will probably never wear a tiered, gathered skirt or blouse with a high stiff collar again. When I had my first child, I bought an above the knee denim jumper with a slit up the front and a tight skirt. I called it my homeschool mom uniform. No prairie muffins here!

Dresses that come below the knee especially...can't do it because of the fundie memories! Unless it's sleeveless and tight!

I was watching one of the new Queer Eye episodes where they're helping a young lady in KC, and she had the same problem. She didn't wear dresses because they felt like "church clothes" and she had bad memories. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

If you're a woman who prefers high necklines for certain occasions, as I am, you would THINK that over time you would simply invest in several camisoles with your preferred neckline that you can layer under just about anything.  Camis are generally cheap, and if you wait for sales, you can often buy them 2 for 1 or heavily discounted from your favorite retailer.

OR you could instead safety pin an ornamental place mat from the Dollar Store on you if you prefer to waste money and look like you don't know clothing from table linen.  You would THINK a "lady" like Lydia would be VERY strict about this.  My grandmother might actually die from embarrassment if she ever caught me wearing a "modesty doily".  

Yeah, I agree. This has nothing to do with discretion, and everything to do with what I tend to think of as "Modesty Theatre". It's just another carefully concocted public expression of their self-engineered persecution complex. People like Lydia don't do stuff like this because it's logical, tasteful, or even because they prefer it. They do it because they can then broadcast the news to anyone in hearing distance, and get extra Fundy Points™ for overcoming a nonexistent obstacle.

In Lydia's case particularly, she does a lot of these things as a means of justifying what seems to be a rapant and unchecked shopping addiction. She can't afford to spend thousands, or even hundreds subsidizing her fantasy, so she spends tens at the Dollar Store.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

20 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

Yeah, I agree. This has nothing to do with discretion, and everything to do with what I tend to think of as "Modesty Theatre". It's just another carefully concocted public expression of their self-engineered persecution complex. People like Lydia don't do stuff like this because it's logical, tasteful, or even because they prefer it. They do it because they can then broadcast the news to anyone in hearing distance, and get extra Fundy Points™ for overcoming a nonexistent obstacle.

In Lydia's case particularly, she does a lot of these things as a means of justifying what seems to be a rapant and unchecked shopping addiction. She can't afford to spend thousands, or even hundreds subsidizing her fantasy, so she spends tens at the Dollar Store.

I'm not really sure that it's a shopping addiction as much as attention seeking.  I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time!  She may well have a shopping addiction, which I will think of every time I'm in the dollar store!  But she certainly does the "best fundy, acknowledge me" thing.

• Upvote 4

Lydia wouldn't have to stuff doilies in her top if she'd just get a pack of these--

Spoiler

• Upvote 5

On 4/3/2019 at 5:57 PM, Georgiana said:

Camis are generally cheap, and if you wait for sales, you can often buy them 2 for 1 or heavily discounted from your favorite retailer.

I use camis all the time for this purpose! They are comfortable and easily available on Amazon. Why would I want some scratchy, cheap doily-thing stuck into my "bodice"?

• Upvote 6

16 hours ago, Hisey said:

I use camis all the time for this purpose! They are comfortable and easily available on Amazon. Why would I want some scratchy, cheap doily-thing stuck into my "bodice"?

My best guess is that in the mind of Lady Lydia, the cami equates to exposing your undergarments while a lace doily and safety pins equate to modest femininity.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

On 3/16/2019 at 10:45 AM, mango_fandango said:

Jesus Christ, Lydia looks like a right nutter in that blanket. There’s no such thing as fog fashion, Lydia. Having googled, some areas do have a “fog season”, but there’s no need for a whole new fashion range. That’s the reason designers haven’t cottoned on. It’s just an excuse for her to wrap a blanket round herself and go for a walk holding a lantern, like she’s trying to be some weird lost maiden in a Victorian novel. 

Methinks LL's Fog Couture is meant for brain fog. In that case, she hit all the right spots. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

Maybe she wanted to be a supermodel and this is the closest thing. 

The newest: forsythia fashion. 

image.png.ba6f83f9642247684cb5ed7c0711e591.png
I too bring my vinyl umbrella whenever I'm going for a genuine Victorian look. 

Spoiler

image.png.0ee4c0a775693f285c140a022367c974.png

There is so much wut in this. Why would the colors of her clothing need to work with Australian autumn? And it's so easy to imagine living in a country called Victoria, you only have to imagine that there was a country called Victoria first. 

Spoiler

image.png.fda250b84df3641ded23365ccac25c9f.png

I missed rain fashion, I gotta go hunt for it. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 2

*Gets popcorn and settles down for monsoonal moisture fashion and on-coming ridge of high pressure fashion.*

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5
  • Love 3

Seeing the yellow/pink/umbrella pictures I have to admit that I kind of like them.  The way she's worded it, it sounds like she's just dressing up in a costume because she thinks it would be fun.  Kind of like cosplay.  I know she's way out there, but this seems fairly harmless.

• Upvote 4

Ya I can't wear lace.  Or anything yellow.  Or pink.  Or skirts.  Or dainty umbrellas whilst wearing gloves....I guess I could just wildly run around my horse paddocks?  Would that make me mysterious?  Foggy?  Or cause the neighbours to call the police????  So many questions!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

A new kook to catch up on!  I started on page 1, and when I saw "Katrina" I had to go look at her blog.  I evacuated for 10 days with one suitcase because we thought we would be gone two days at the most, like we had for other evacuations.  Everyone I know had a couple of pairs of shorts, jeans, t-shirts, flip-flops and tennis shoes.  Fortunately, my home and my parents' homes were fine.  My friends' and other family members' were not.  I'd like to stick LL the hag in what we slogged through to try to salvage a couple of things after the storm from demolished houses.  When you're evacuating at 5 in the morning and going into contraflow traffic for hours and not knowing when you'll come home or what you'll come home to, you don't dress like Eliza Doolittle post-Henry Higgins makeover.  I wonder if she's saying the same ugly things about the poor people in Nebraska and other flooded areas right now.  Just a 15-minute scan through her blog tells me she's totally off her rocker.

This really is a sore spot for me, as you can tell.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 17

1 hour ago, wallysmommy said:

I wonder if she's saying the same ugly things about the poor people in Nebraska and other flooded areas right now. 

Just a quick drop in to say we flew over NE yesterday and the flood plain was astonishing. The amount of damage has to be catastrophic. It just went on and on and on. If it's that visible from 35K feet, it's got to be awful on the ground. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 4
  • Love 1

Ironically, there is a flood evacuation warning very near where Lydia lives. I hope she has an outfit picked for the occasion.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 3

There’s a state in Australia called Victoria, but I’ve not heard of a country called Victoria. 

Lady Lydia is just batshit.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5