IGNORED

Lady Lydia: Still Living in an Alternate Universe

danvillebelle

Is her husband really the pastor of a church?  I can't imagine attending a church being led by a man whose wife is so...odd.  And didn't she gain some minor notoriety one time by complaining that the victims of Hurricane Katrina didn't dress nicely enough so they looked properly ladylike when they were being hauled up to helicopters to escape the floods?

If that's her, I wonder if she thought the victims should have hauled their sitting room furniture up to their roofs and lounge calmly, dressed in their Sunday best while waiting for the First Responders to help them.  Should they have graciously accepted assistance climbing in the basket and modestly tucked their skirts around their ankles before nodding regally to signal they were ready to be hoisted into the heavens, holding their hats firmly on their heads while serenely observing the devastation around them while their less deserving neighbors watched the water rise?  Surely they, upon reaching safety, would have displayed calm and dignity after giving their rescuers a nod of approval for understanding that the modest Victorian Lady should obviously be saved before the unwashed masses who failed to dress properly for disaster.

• Upvote 15
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Flossie said:

And didn't she gain some minor notoriety one time by complaining that the victims of Hurricane Katrina didn't dress nicely enough so they looked properly ladylike when they were being hauled up to helicopters to escape the floods?

That's her.  She took the post down when she was excoriated on the internet for that display of lacking all sense of compassion and understanding.

Lady Lydia Sherman:  preaching poisonous and historically inaccurate concepts of "femininity" and "womanhood" on the internet since 1995.

I don't know if she has ever done anything much as a pastor's wife except model idleness, create bad crafts, and judge others for the LORD.  I vaguely remember her mentioning a few tea parties for ladies of the church, but helping other people is absolutely verboten unless she has all her household chores and home decorating done.  In other words, probably never.

She writes the Home Living blog, tries (or tried) to sell stuff through it (she used to have links to those soppy Kinkaid print sellers), and in the good old days used to write for LAF.  I think she also did a few workshops teaching young ladies the fine arts of tea drinking, homeschooling with an arrogant and idle spirit, and homemaking in the glory days of VF.

Can anyone else think of a single example of Lydia doing anything for anyone outside her immediate family?  Ever? 

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 13

@Lydia, does actually appear to be a pastor's wife. I don't think it is a large church, but I just can't imagine her being even slightly kind to most people. She comes off as rude and sanctimonious online, maybe she has a totally different personality in real life but she has maintained her Lady Lydia persona for a pretty long time. 

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

Can anyone else think of a single example of Lydia doing anything for anyone outside her immediate family?  Ever? 

Nope. Can anyone think of a time Lydia showed kindness and compassion? For as long as I've followed her she has been hateful. 

• Upvote 10

1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

Nope. Can anyone think of a time Lydia showed kindness and compassion?

Nope!  And I think her true personality is displayed on her blog.  She's incredibly selfish.

• Upvote 8

@Lydia is selfish, rude, hateful and has very poor manners. A true lady would know how to be gracious towards others, something Lydia isn't. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

On 12/24/2018 at 8:41 PM, Lydia said:

I reserve my viewing of your blog for when my stats indicate a visit from you. 

Oh sweetheart I am NOT one you want to lock horns with.  Ever.  I briefly visited your blog or website or whatever that was and lasted about thirty seconds before almost going blind from the florals and prints and Lord only knows what else you had going on there.  It was a morbid curiosity, kind of like those rubber neckers we get who nearly run into us at car accidents because they can't help but gawk.  I don't have a blog.  Nor will I ever.  Because, well, life.

Having said that, I did see your small minded and oh so nasty thoughts about Katrina victims.  May I ask did you get off your dainty a$$ and volunteer?  Did you even remotely think of others?  No?  Not surprised.   Or did you just  make a nasty post about people who lost EVERYTHING.  I was there with four of my search dogs.  We searched for what seemed like forever, and the horrors I witnessed would curl your dainty little toenails.  Let me also say this:  I was gone and my husband held the home stead just fine from 1800 plus miles away.  We would speak daily and he would be my support system as I bawled and told him what the search teams and our dogs located.  How dare you EVER make a post like you did?  Shame on you.

Edited by saintmom
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 24

Am I the only one who finds it funny she made her post on Christmas Eve? I mean, did she have nothing better to do, no church service to help with, no special dinner to make, no helping those in need on Christmas Eve? Nothing better to do than come to FJ and snark at us?

How very genteel and lady-like of her. 

• Upvote 13

@Lydia wrote an entire blog post about old trucks. She also added something that seems to be geared towards our criticism of her not doing anything for anyone but herself. 

Every week I host a Ladies Bible Class in my home, and provide a tea-luncheon, so I enjoy having the house ready for these dear ladies who depend on this weekly class for their r and r. They are farm ladies who work hard on the land and in their own homes, so the tea and Bible class is something of a luxury for them.

Oh come on Lydia! You are hardly the only one who lives in rural farm areas! You are acting like women who work on farms are devoid of all nice things and walk into your house amazed that a wealthy lady  is letting them have the luxury of sitting in her parlor sipping tea. This isn't the 1800's Lydia and you aren't a wealthy land owner letting the poor get a glimpse of your life of luxury. 

• Upvote 21
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2

But, but, but, an old truck is a beloved memento, a pasture decoration, and a status symbol!  If we are not lucky enough to live in the country and have enough room for a rusty old truck in the yard, we can find lots of truck kitsch at Hobby Lobby to embellish our homes.

I'm glad Mr. S. is recovering well and Lydia is now free to roam Hobby Lobby looking at truck decor.  She's going to make herself a new dress in kelly green, she's turning over a new leaf in housekeeping so that one room is "visitor ready" at all times. 

Those of you at home will identify with the myriad of things that need doing and the things that never end, or never get finished, so I won't go into too much detail here!  I am developing new habits so that my house can be spur-of-the-moment ready or surprise-ready at all times. I like the surprise-ready expression the best. Not long ago another lady in the church called to say she was in the area and was going to drop by my house if I was home. I saw the value in at least having the entry room company ready.

Not so long ago Lydia had a surprise visitor.  Take that, Free Jinger!

I took a break from work at home,  and walked around Hobby Lobby. Do you ever just walk around in there and take notes of things you like?  I have a notebook in my purse and I love to write down the items I like and why they remind me of something.

No. I boycott Hobby Lobby for multiple reasons.  Not the least of which are its opposition to affordable health care and the deliberate looting and smuggling of artifacts. 

I also loathe window shopping and browsing, even in craft stores.  I hate shopping in general and can get in and out of Michael's very fast after just picking up the things I actually need. 

And, wow, Lydia is defensive. 

Since Mr. S. is recovering so nicely, I have been able to concentrate more on my housekeeping and it feels good to be more orderly and know where things are.  Many of the things Mr. S. has done over the years, such as getting the car repaired, tires replaced, house repair, tree trimming, downtown business, bill paying, and so forth, I have been doing.  His doing it all is why I was free to keep house and concentrate on cooking and sewing.  It will be nice to have him back at his usual business so I can do more at home, including hospitality. He is up and about more now, and that is good. He is actually in better health than he has been in a long time. 

She's been so busy with Mr. S. out of commission and has even been doing a man's work.  Now she can get back to "hospitality."

• Upvote 16

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

these dear ladies who depend on this weekly class for their r and r

I'm trying to imagine how much relaxing I would do sipping tea with Lady Lydia.  This seems a wee bit condescending, but that's probably just me.

11 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

the deliberate looting and smuggling of artifacts. 

There was a rumor that some of the funds from buying your frills may have gone to support ISIS.  Just a heads up, Lady Lydia. 

• Upvote 15
  • Haha 2
  • Love 3

If Lydia is such a perfect housekeeper, why does she need to have a room "surprise ready" at all times? Shit, you drop by my house, you'd better be coming to see me and not my house. I mean, we're not slobs or anything like that, but, you will find cat hair on the furniture, maybe a few dishes in the sink, stuff on my coffee table, a couple of cats sleeping on the furniture. 

Talk about alternative realities...

• Upvote 15
  • Love 2

Just now, feministxtian said:

If Lydia is such a perfect housekeeper, why does she need to have a room "surprise ready" at all times? Shit, you drop by my house, you'd better be coming to see me and not my house. I mean, we're not slobs or anything like that, but, you will find cat hair on the furniture, maybe a few dishes in the sink, stuff on my coffee table, a couple of cats sleeping on the furniture. 

Talk about alternative realities...

Same here. I keep the clutter under control for myself, but it's also nice to not freak out when there's a knock on the door, surprise or not, and know my living room is in what a certain snarkworthy lifestyle writer years ago always called "pillow-plumping order".

Also as an older woman (older than Lydia, even) with a terminally ill spouse, I have all the responsibilities she describes and more, but there is still a cooked-from-scratch meal on the table every night and a living room in pillow-plumping order. And it's a rare late-afternoon when I don't have time to kick back in front of the fire with a nice cup of tea with a shot of brandy in it. Okay, sometimes I skip the tea part. Don't judge. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Love 16

1 minute ago, Black Aliss said:

nd it's a rare late-afternoon when I don't have time to kick back in front of the fire with a nice cup of tea with a shot of brandy in it. Okay, sometimes I skip the tea part. Don't judge. 

Not judging one bit here! Dealing with an ill spouse and shouldering all those "extra" responsibilities is exhausting. 

You and Mr. Aliss are in my thoughts as you deal with things. Being a caregiver sucks. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 6

23 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

But, but, but, an old truck is a beloved memento, a pasture decoration, and a status symbol!  If we are not lucky enough to live in the country and have enough room for a rusty old truck in the yard,

People do have old trucks out in their yard. They also have old fridges, couches, sinks, and who knows what else. :laughing-jumpingpurple: If you are into the rusted car look there are also a ton of junk yards to gaze at!  I don't think I've actually seen anyone decorate their yard with an old truck. Old tractors seem to be more popular for yard decorations. 

I would like to go to the area Lydia lives and see how reality matches up with the picture she paints on her blog. Or how she would even match up with how she presents herself.  

My house is typically okay for visitors, I just don't like people dropping by. I have to emotionally prepare myself for entertaining people. Luckily living in the middle of the woods with a shit ton of no trespassing signs between my house and the road means drop by visitors are scarce. 

• Upvote 8

If you have 10 cars in your yard that don't have wheels but your house has wheels...you might be a redneck.

If you have to take the transmission out of your bathtub before you can take a bath...

Yeah, hearing about Lydia makes me think of redneck jokes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

would boycot Hobby Lobby if I ever found myself near one, but as Lydia may or may not know, actual "living out in the country" means not being near big box stores of any sort.   My personal statistics: 

Nearest WalMart:  120 miles

Nearest McDonald's: 90 miles

Nearest freeway: 120 miles

(each in a different direction, I might add)

@formergothardite I'm jealous of your buffer zone!  Because in spite of the above, I do live "in town" (of a few hundred folks) and do get surprise visitors.  Nothing startles me more unpleasantly than a knock at the door when I didn't hear anyone approaching.  Wish I was out in the boonies even farther!

• Upvote 10

I never knew Lady Lydia's last name was Sherman.  So of course I googled.  :)  
Seems there's a much more famous Lydia Sherman than our
 Lady Lydia. 
image.thumb.png.b9a64d20a24f3118b6bc0b504d5972d5.png 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 15
  • Love 3

50 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I would like to go to the area Lydia lives and see how reality matches up with the picture she paints on her blog. Or how she would even match up with how she presents herself.  

The town she lives in is pretty rural and redneck, although it's in the same county as one of the last outposts of lefty hippie-dom. People seem to think of Oregon as a bastion of liberalism but most of the (thankfully sparsely-populated) state is rightwing redneck country. The KKK ran the political machinery, even in Portland, as were carrying out lynchings in that part of Oregon right up until WWII. With a shortage of African-Americans in the state, they went after Catholics and Jews. Lydia and the good pastor fit right in.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

41 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

as Lydia may or may not know, actual "living out in the country" means not being near big box stores of any sort.

If I'm not mistaken, Lydia lives about 25 miles from Hobby Lobby and other amenities.  There is a lot of farmland in the Willamette Valley/I-5/Hwy 99 corridor, but that area is not really isolated.

• Thank You 5

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

People do have old trucks out in their yard. They also have old fridges, couches, sinks, and who knows what else. :laughing-jumpingpurple: If you are into the rusted car look there are also a ton of junk yards to gaze at!  I don't think I've actually seen anyone decorate their yard with an old truck. Old tractors seem to be more popular for yard decorations. 

I am obviously very deprived.  I only have a (smaller than life) rather rusty greyhound statue thingie decorating my front yard.

As for yard litter in rural areas - the hoarder on the other side of the road was forced to clear up their front yard by the town recently.  Multiple old rusty cars (not trucks or tractors) and other junk were removed from the premises altogether, and the boat collection was reduced significantly.  Not enough though.  Three of the five 24' boats were merely relocated to the back yard and I still have to look at two of them when I drive past.  They have been there for at least 14 years without moving an inch.  We think he's convinced that he's Noah preparing for the next flood.

22 minutes ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

I never knew Lady Lydia's last name was Sherman.  So of course I googled.  :)  
Seems there's a much more famous Lydia Sherman than our
 Lady Lydia. 

I may have pointed that coincidence out once or twice before.  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

My best friend ended up on the local town snark Facebook page for having a toilet in her front yard! In her defence, it was only there for a couple of days during a remodel. Still, she should have crocheted a doily for it at least!

• Haha 19

1 minute ago, ladyamylynn said:

My best friend ended up on the local town snark Facebook page for having a toilet in her front yard! In her defence, it was only there for a couple of days during a remodel. Still, she should have crocheted a doily for it at least!

I once had two 1920s-era toilets discovered buried in my yard in a previous home (they and bedsprings and other interesting things were used as fill to bring a low area up to grade before a driveway went over it) and I kept them for years intending to use them as garden ornaments.  What do you grow inside a garden toilet?  Why, PEAS, of course! :lol:

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 15
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

My house is typically okay for visitors, I just don't like people dropping by. I have to emotionally prepare myself for entertaining people. Luckily living in the middle of the woods with a shit ton of no trespassing signs between my house and the road means drop by visitors are scarce. 

I'm anti-drop in as well. I like to entertain, but I need to plan that shit in advance. I like having a good couple of hours or, better yet, a day, to clean, make food (if you come to my place you are getting fed, non-negotiable), and emotionally prep for having people over. Thankfully I live on the opposite end of town and/or the opposite end of the Atlantic Ocean from most of my friends, so pretty much all visitors I get are announced and planned for well in advance. 

I also often wonder what Lydia would think of my minimalist/modern art-style "good china" and my "Claudia Kishi settled down and moved to Stockholm" aesthetic for my living room. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 7