IGNORED

Erin and Chad 4: Hoping She Loses the Polka Dot Cape

Coconut Flan

I’m skeptical about how much the kids did. That looks way too picture perfect for Brooklyn and/or Carson to have had much of a hand in it.  My oldest is Carson’s age, and he would not have enjoyed sticking to the color scheme or having to color in each brick completely before moving onto the next.

Not to be snarky. 

But then again, I guess it *is* a snark board.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 13

Now she didn't claim the kids did the whole thing, let alone by themselves, but you can also see where it started as very neat and in a recurring pattern and then became more random and messy closer to the house.

Wouldn't surprise me if Erin had someone like Katie and some of the younger kids were over and we're involved, leaving Carson and Brooklyn to enjoy the remains and Erin to take photos because it looks pretty cool.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

@TShirtsLongSkirts: they don’t share the way to their home so I guess the chalk can stay till one or two rainy days took care of it.

I agree with the rest- you can definitely tell that at least one adult/older child took part in the colouring.

• Upvote 8

It looks neat and fun for the kids, she probably did most of it herself though. I'd be surprised if their landlord cared at all about it, it's just chalk, it will be gone in a week. It doesn't need powerwashing or elbow grease to come off, a week of walking on it and a bucket of water are more than enough.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3

16 hours ago, sparrow said:

I’m skeptical about how much the kids did. That looks way too picture perfect for Brooklyn and/or Carson to have had much of a hand in it.  My oldest is Carson’s age, and he would not have enjoyed sticking to the color scheme or having to color in each brick completely before moving onto the next.

Not to be snarky. 

But then again, I guess it *is* a snark board.

There is no way in the world that a 2 year old and a 3 year old had the patience and discipline to color every single brick, even filling in the corners of each one! No way. 

Little kids scribble for a little bit, then move on to something else. Even the meticulous ones could not do that -- it would take hours! Hell, I don't have the patience for such a project. 

And there's a color scheme? Didn't even notice that.  Brooklyn doesn't look like she'd take well to a mommy-directed color scheme. "No, I want to use the red one here!!!" If she even knows her colors yet.

• Upvote 7

17 hours ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

Dunno how happy I'd be if I were their landlord, power washing off all that chalk would take a while :)

Doesn't it just wash off in the rain? The sidewalk chalk I have does.

• Upvote 2

LOL, I see Brooklyn is coloring a yellow brick with her blue crayon. Way to mess up that your mom's perfection, Brookie!

The kids probably lost interest after 5 minutes. Erin must have done it. I do think that poor woman is bored out of her mind.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

I vote for lots of hands helping. Someone probably did a section in a rainbow up at the top -then their hand got tired. Others picked random patterns. But her littles are cutest for the photo. No harm there.

• Upvote 12

50 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I vote for lots of hands helping. Someone probably did a section in a rainbow up at the top -then their hand got tired. Others picked random patterns. But her littles are cutest for the photo. No harm there.

I love chalk, so I would probably spend time doing that! :)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

This reminds me of the rainbow crossings/walkways back in Australia that people did in support of the LGBT community when we voted last year whether to legalise gay marriage.

I am sure Cherin are delighted their house is sending out a supportive message to the LGBT community!

• Upvote 16
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I am sure Cherin are delighted their house is sending out a supportive message to the LGBT community!

And right around national coming out day!

• Haha 7

OMG the painted path! It must have taken hours!!! Whoever (adult) painted it really has patience!

The pictures are really nice and Carson and Brooklyn look happy, so I'm not critizising. But Erin should have posted the truth and not to fake it was a little kids activity. 

I suppose some aunts were involved. But still, how a mother of 2 little ones and a nursing baby has so much free time? 

• Upvote 7

11 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

But still, how a mother of 2 little ones and a nursing baby has so much free time? 

I know! I thought the same thing about changing up her bedroom every year. 

I'm starting to think that maybe, in their culture, they don't spend a lot of time with their kids. They leave them to play alone a lot. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, but it is different from what I did when my kids were little.

When my oldest was small, we did all sort of things. We used fingerpaint to make wrapping paper, and then wrapped a birthday present. We painted rocks. We walked through the woods and took a long, long time looking at every single leaf and flower. 

I did this because I enjoyed it, wanted to be a good mom, and because it had been a long time since I'd been around little kids, so everything was new and fresh. 

I wonder if these activities seem old and boring to Erin, who has 16 (?) younger siblings. Maybe watching a one-year old splash in a puddle is old news to her. Because Chad seems like a great hubby, the kids are gorgeous and sweet, the cottage is beyond adorable. . . but she still seems really bored. 

Edited by Hisey
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Hisey said:

I'm starting to think that maybe, in their culture, they don't spend a lot of time with their kids. They leave them to play alone a lot. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, but it is different from what I did when my kids were little.

When my oldest was small, we did all sort of things. We used fingerpaint to make wrapping paper, and then wrapped a birthday present. We painted rocks. We walked through the woods and took a long, long time looking at every single leaf and flower. 

I did this because I enjoyed it, wanted to be a good mom, and because it had been a long time since I'd been around little kids, so everything was new and fresh. 

I wonder if these activities seem old and boring to Erin, who has 16 (?) younger siblings. Maybe watching a one-year old splash in a puddle is old news to her. Because Chad seems like a great hubby, the kids are gorgeous and sweet, the cottage is beyond adorable. . . but she still seems really bored. 

I know someone who was like this when her twins were young. She hated things like fingerpainting, colouring in, chalk on the pavement, splashing around. But she did very well when her kids got older - she was great with things like helping with homework, teaching them how to play chess, helping them learn the piano etc. She hated "little kid activities" but enjoyed them a lot more as they gold older. Part of the reason I don't plan to have kids is that I would be a terrible mother to infants - I really only start to enjoy children once they are about 4 or so. I'd be neglectful before that because I'd be SO bored.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I have never let my children try fingerpaint, I avoid letting them do anything messy. That is why I send them to daycare so I don't need to do that messy stuff. They can draw using pens of course and when they are a bit older cut up paper and glue it but I don't engage in it very much. They get to do chalk on the concrete floor of our balcony and sometimes we take them outside and they can draw on the pavement.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Hisey said:

She doesn't work, does she? I know she taught piano before but I don't keep as up to date with the Bates so I'm not sure if she still does. But she doesn't work full time. I know caring for children is exhausting and time consuming, but in this day and age most mothers balance working full time, taking care of the kids, and keeping the house together. So a mother without a job could definitely make time for herself and the activities she loves while still being highly involved with her kids. My own mom had two toddlers, worked full time, was on a softball team, and still socailized with her friends weekly. She still spent plenty of time with us and I never felt like we weren't her number one priority; she just also had her own life in addition to being a mom. 

I don't mean to sound rude, since I'm sure this wasn't your intention, but when I hear people on the board snark on Erin for having "so much time" it strikes me as sexist, like how dare a mother make a little time for herself, she must not pay enough attention to her kids. It's such a fundie and patriarchal idea that a mother must devote herself completely to her children in order to be the best mother that I'm surprised to see so many people on FJ mention it. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, BernRul said:

I don't mean to sound rude, since I'm sure this wasn't your intention, but when I hear people on the board snark on Erin for having "so much time" it strikes me as sexist, like how dare a mother make a little time for herself, she must not pay enough attention to her kids. It's such a fundie and patriarchal idea that a mother must devote herself completely to her children in order to be the best mother that I'm surprised to see so many people on FJ mention it. 

I don't mean to be rude either, but I think it's sexist of YOU to assume I just meant Erin. I mean Chad, too. I think the way they both spend their time is strange.

So much time on things that don't matter, when they have tiny children. Your kids are only little once, why make your life complicated and difficult by having toddlers, a nursing newborn, AND a bedroom that's out of commission?

I do think she's bored, and it's a shame she can't work. She obviously needs other outlets besides her kids, which is fine (who doesn't?). 

• Move Along 5
  • Downvote 5
  • Confused 2
  • WTF 1

17 minutes ago, Hisey said:

I don't mean to be rude either, but I think it's sexist of YOU to assume I just meant Erin. I mean Chad, too. I think the way they both spend their time is strange.

So much time on things that don't matter, when they have tiny children. Your kids are only little once, why make your life complicated and difficult by having toddlers, a nursing newborn, AND a bedroom that's out of commission?

I do think she's bored, and it's a shame she can't work. She obviously needs other outlets besides her kids, which is fine (who doesn't?). 

The conversation was about Erin's hobbies, not Chad's. It's not an assumption if Chad wasn't mentioned in your post or the other posters'. I'm not going to automatically assume you mean him too unless you mention him too. The discussion was entirely about Erin, and how Erin spends her time while being the mother of young children. 

You contradict yourself in this post. You say that she needs other outlets besides her kids, but then say "so much time on things that don't matter when they have tiny children" and "your kids are only little once why make your life complicated by..." So which is it? Should she have an outlet besides her kids, or should she stop wasting her time on activities that don't involve her kids? Because your language here still sounds highly judgemental of how young mothers (or parents) choose to spend their time. 

You think she's bored. Maybe she is. Or maybe she is choosing to spend her time the way she wants to. I think rearranging bedrooms is boring, and you think it's a waste of time, but maybe it's Erin's passion. After all, Pinterest and HGTV are full of home imporvement and interior decorating related content that obviously has an audience. Maybe it makes her feel happy, fulfilled, and in control of her life. If so, than I hardly see how it's a waste of time. And even if it is a waste of time, so what? Why should we judge how a young mother chooses to spend her time as long as she isn't neglecting her children or hurting anyone?  

Edited by BernRul
  • Upvote 29
  • Love 3

Erin looks happy, the kids look happy, Chad looks stressed. If you look into his eyes, they looked stressed. Not everyone likes the demands of two toddlers and an infant.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 4

Erin looks (really young?) really her age here. Frequently I think we agree she looks kind of matronly with both her clothing and hair style. She looks so much like Katie here. She looks very pretty in my opinion. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

When I saw those photos the first thing I thought was "gosh I wonder if those are jeans". It's not just the double button, which I don't think I've ever seen on a jean skirt, but also the look of the fit around her waist/hip area. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic