IGNORED

Lawson Bates 3

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I would so watch “The Bachelor: Fundie Edition!” See where the Lord leads his heart!

As it happens - the next Bachelor is a studly young virgin ;)  I’m not a follower. Just caught my attention browsing about. Should make their whole fantasy suite deal at the end fascinating.

Fun fact: More people get eliminated from the Bachelor screening due to unknown STDs (herpes mostly) than anything else.

I never watch but I just read some book about the series. I also enjoyed Unreal.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

I once heard someone say, "Attention whores never run out of minutes."  I still don't know what that means exactly.  Maybe it has something to do with the Warholian concept of 15 minutes of fame.  But whatever it means, it applies to this photo of Lawson Bates.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

30 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

I think its the day he's releasing that song. Probably called One.  

...is the Loneliest Number?

• Haha 8

12 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

This relationship is going to be turned into a musical.

Bop bop bop, bop to the top!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6

On 1/17/2019 at 11:51 PM, neurogirl said:
brown shoes with a navy suit is the modern style!

For day wear, or at the office (not that Lawson would go to an office, but maybe an audition?), on a nice but semi-casual lunch, etc. With coordinated belt. 

For formal wear and evening wear, there is only one appropriate color for man's shoes (and belt), and that is black, whatever the color of the suit is. Who knows, maybe Lawson actually got it right? ;) 

As much as he wants to portray himself as stylish, Jeremy, with his blue suit and brown shoes on his wedding day made me cringe. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

For day wear, or at the office (not that Lawson would go to an office, but maybe an audition?), on a nice but semi-casual lunch, etc. With coordinated belt. 

For formal wear and evening wear, there is only one appropriate color for man's shoes (and belt), and that is black, whatever the color of the suit is. Who knows, maybe Lawson actually got it right? ;) 

As much as he wants to portray himself as stylish, Jeremy, with his blue suit and brown shoes on his wedding day made me cringe. 

Completely disagree.  At every wedding I've been to (and most of them pretty fancy) any man wearing blue pants is wearing brown shoes. Gray would potentially also be acceptable, but black shoes with a blue suit just looks wrong and cringe-y to me.  

I don't think your ideas of proper formal dress are the standard nationwide at all. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 7

10 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Completely disagree.  At every wedding I've been to (and most of them pretty fancy) any man wearing blue pants is wearing brown shoes. Gray would potentially also be acceptable, but black shoes with a blue suit just looks wrong and cringe-y to me.  

I don't think your ideas of proper formal dress are the standard nationwide at all. 

Which nation? 

Where I come from, nothing but black shoes at formal occasions for men. My mom (?) and all the links I could find online seem to agree with this. I can find nothing anywhere that says it's appropriate for a man to wear anything but polished, black leather shoes at a formal event or wedding.  

Some excerpts from a 30 seconds google exercise (rough translation from Italian mine, but there is also google translate):

"The right look for ceremonies/formalwear [...] And what if the occasion is a special event like a wedding or gala? [...] Brown is an absolute taboo both for the suit and the shoes: it is not a proper color for a wedding" https://franceschetti.it/scarpe-abito-uomo-modello-occasione/ 

"How to dress at a wedding: men" [...] Shoes must be perfectly polished, with shoelaces, and black, because they are worn with an elegant suit" http://www.maisongalateo.com/come-vestirsi-al-matrimonio-uomini/

"Menswear: the most common mistakes" [...] Formal Style [...] polished black leather shoes. [...] Informal Style or Business Style [...] leather black or brown shoes." http://www.maisongalateo.com/come-vestirsi-al-matrimonio-uomini/ 

• Upvote 4

I think brown shoes look better with navy suits--and the combination is definitely in style right now. I actually think I look terrible in black, and so navy blue and brown are my go to colors for most work wear and cocktail attire.

However, I believe black shoes are considered the only formal wear option for men because black suits are the only suit option for true formal wear (if by true formal wear we're talking about black tie or white tie guidelines--not cocktail attire or an evening wedding that chooses not to follow traditional formality guidelines). 

• Upvote 16

1 hour ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

Which nation? 

Where I come from, nothing but black shoes at formal occasions for men. My mom (?) and all the links I could find online seem to agree with this. I can find nothing anywhere that says it's appropriate for a man to wear anything but polished, black leather shoes at a formal event or wedding.  

Sorry, I forgot you're Italian, your username just seems so American to me!  I'm American, and I think that explains the difference, since what's considered appropriate dress will naturally vary from culture to culture. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

@Shouldabeenacowboy So in a formal occasion, brown shoes with a blue suit is a no-go. But I've always been 'taught' never to pair black and navy because they clash. So how does that work? Different because female fashion and male fashion? Another reason? Legit curious because I've never really thought about it tbh :)

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, DundeeUnFundie said:

@Shouldabeenacowboy So in a formal occasion, brown shoes with a blue suit is a no-go. But I've always been 'taught' never to pair black and navy because they clash. So how does that work? Different because female fashion and male fashion? Another reason? Legit curious because I've never really thought about it tbh :)

Because a navy suit is not considered for any real formal occasion.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

Personally, I think that navy looks best with dark brown shoes. The current fashion for tan shoes with navy bugs me.

• Upvote 6

@Shouldabeenacowboy I appreciate your cultural lens and traditional fashion, but my husband and all his groomsmen had dark brown shoes with navy suits and I think they looked modern and nice! We may disagree, but I think black shoes would've looked a little weird. This was a Sunday afternoon wedding (into evening dance) by the way.

855440156_ScreenShot2019-01-21at1_29_37PM.png.91de78ea3438afda47d419090356d1ca.png

• Upvote 14
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, neurogirl said:

@Shouldabeenacowboy I appreciate your cultural lens and traditional fashion, but my husband and all his groomsmen had dark brown shoes with navy suits and I think they looked modern and nice! We may disagree, but I think black shoes would've looked a little weird. This was a Sunday afternoon wedding (into evening dance) by the way.

855440156_ScreenShot2019-01-21at1_29_37PM.png.91de78ea3438afda47d419090356d1ca.png

Pssst.....he has a little something on his face! ;) 

Nice suit/shoes btw! Does look sharp.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, neurogirl said:

@neurogirlsame here! I am learning a lot in this thread about what different people would do/wear at different events. The picture you posted is a very nice suit and I really like the shoes, it's just that we were talking about weddings and, yes, filtering with my own cultural lens, you would just not see that combo at a wedding or other formal occasion in Italy. Definitely i have seen that in an office setting, or walking down the street on a workday. I quite like the suit+shoes combo in your pic! Here is an alternative - what my husband wore for our wedding-  blue suit with black shoes. Afternoon wedding, going into the evening as well. 

wed.jpg

Edited by Shouldabeenacowboy
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 3

Just putting it out there about how disappointed I am in the thread title. I mean this douche gives us so much to work with and we only have his name...

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Lawson Bates 3: Rose for Your Thoughts? or Lawson Bates 3: The Bachelor Fundie Edition

Better than a Rose for Lawson's Thoughts... which I think would not be a very generous trade.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

Back to talking about men's footwear and fashion in general:  I think the color-pairing and what can be worn during what months rules many of us were raised with as though they were gospel have become passe.  Fashion in general has become more relaxed, and with that so have those rigid rules.  It's more important to look coordinated rather than to follow arbitrary rules like "no velvet after 2/14" or " no white after Labor Day."

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

Both brown and black shoes have always been acceptable with a blue suit. Currently, brown is more in fashion here, but it has been black in other eras. Previously, no one tasteful would have considered wearing brown shoes to even a semi-formal event such as these fundies put on, but currently, it is on-trend.

But not for formal evening events. Those are still black shoes only. Since few weddings here are that formal, instead usually some combination of semi-formal to daytime formal, they have options.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 1/18/2019 at 1:14 PM, BeccaGrim said:

I think its the day he's releasing that song. Probably called One.  

I think he’s going to release the song he sang at Tori & Bobby’s wedding. I remember hearing it in the episode it went something like “One + One = Three” about how Jesus is the third person in a relationship.

Edited by Seculardaisy

On 1/22/2019 at 2:01 PM, QuiverDance said:

Fashion in general has become more relaxed, and with that so have those rigid rules.  

That is for sure, I would say society in general has become more relaxed, or lax even. I don't necessarily think it's always a good thing, but it has its merits. When I first moved to the USA (Southern California, specifically) many years ago, it was eye-opening in that respect. Fashion was more casual in daily life in San Diego, which was, in a way, very liberating compared to a very image-conscious society, where you are constantly taught that you must always look your best when in public. When I visited our office in Los Angeles that "casual fashion" myth evaporated very quickly though...

Anyway, fashion is part of culture, so I find it fascinating to learn, compare and contrast. I am very happy for this thread drift! And to close it, I will say that, even from thousands of miles away, I am still afraid of the "fashion police", aka my mom, so I maintain a separate dress code as follows:

1. Things I can wear to leave the house in Italy; 

2. Things I can wear to leave the house in the USA (now Washington DC);

3. Things I can wear to leave the house in the USA when my mom is visiting :text-lol:

Edited by Shouldabeenacowboy
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

@Shouldabeenacowboy  I totally understand about the different dress codes!   I have different ones for Europe, the Northeast US, and Southern California as well.  For example I would never leave the house in sweats here in Germany, I would in New York but only to run out to get a bagel/go to the gym/pick up a late-night snack, and in SoCal I'd totally go out to lunch in cute sweats. I do wear black leggings outside here, and my German husband is pretty scandalized by that--in his eyes they're basically underwear. But I simply cannot wear proper pants every time I leave the house, that's too much to ask. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Did anyone else see the Virgin Bachelor on SNL last night and immediately think Lawson Bates and his promo photo with the rose?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic