IGNORED

Jana 7: Home Sweet TTH

choralcrusader8613

@Mama MiaWhenever I do an angel tree gift I always find something that I think most people might pass up like a boy who wants a doll and coloring books or a girl who wants hunting clothes or video games. Is that good? Or will other people actually get them those things? I always wanted hot wheels as a child but they were "boy toys" but I know things have changed a lot since the 90's.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/8/2018 at 11:58 PM, TZmom said:

I understand this completely. I grew up poor with very young parents. There were times we almost lost our rented trailer because we couldn't afford it. But my mom always made sure we had a great Christmas no matter what.
My kids are not grateful for anything. Even though I do my best not to spoil them, just being comfortable financially has given them this attitude (well, that and my tactless husband. I love him, but he just doesn't know when to say "Thank you" instead of, "Oh, I don't like this"). It really annoys me.

We grew up poor too, my sister and I. We had a few teddies and knock-off barbies, and one little car playset thingy. Husband also didn't have a lot. 

When our son was born we over compensated and he's 5 now with 2 4wheelers, trampoline, hundreds of toys and he is bratty (in the nicest way). I need to turn the bus around fast. He needs to appreciate the small things and not ever look down on someone who doesn't have because I was that kid who was mocked over her shoes and school lunch, and I don't want him to treat others the way I was treated. 

Does anyone follow Laura on instagram? She did one of those Q & A things and someone asked her to describe Jana.  She posted in reply with a pic of a t-shirt that said something like 'classy' with a little bit of 'sassy' ?

2 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

@Mama MiaWhenever I do an angel tree gift I always find something that I think most people might pass up like a boy who wants a doll and coloring books or a girl who wants hunting clothes or video games. Is that good? Or will other people actually get them those things? I always wanted hot wheels as a child but they were "boy toys" but I know things have changed a lot since the 90's.

That sounds great! Especially if you live in an area where those requests might seem really unusual! I know we’ve talked about it here some, but sadly, the trend has seemed for toy marketing  to become even more gender exclusionary over time. 

I kind of screwed this all up, but I found my Sims Duggar House photos. These are collages of each section. The little kids through Jackson are downstairs with a playroom, school room, main living JB& Michelle, Kitchen, offices, laundry and an apartment for Grandma Mary. 

Upstairs is in 3 sections, but have parts anyone could use Boys Justin through twins have a game room/play room/lounge. The craft room and gym are to the side. Joy and Josiah have rooms off the small music room. Big living room and mini-kitchen for the adult kids. Bedrooms and baths surrounding. Must have done it when Jessa was courting, She and Josh have pull out couches in their rooms.

Everyone has their own room and it comes in about 700 sq feet smaller than the Duggar’s at 6,300 ish .

i tried to put under spoilers but didn’t work. Sorry! 

36C99C25-20B4-42EE-9933-F13F1F35DD52.jpeg

Spoiler

B61CF00E-8C57-4A4D-9785-F9FF10D9FECD.jpeg

2118C37E-3977-47A6-858F-FCCE4345D910.jpeg

F37212B4-9BB7-4AEF-BDC9-0AB9C602E1A0.jpeg

29E2264E-9FEE-4839-A3A8-798EEE39A281.jpeg

On 11/9/2018 at 1:20 AM, Mama Mia said:

Speaking of Christmas gifts......

I spent a lot of years working in social service programs that help obtain and coordinate holiday gifts for families who need help. Some tips if you donate to these kind of efforts:

1- Pick the oldest kids. Nobody wants to get them things, everyone picks babies ( who have no idea what’s going on) and tiny kids - who are perfectly happy with things from the Dollar Tree.  

2- If they haven’t provided a wish list - A good gift for tweens and teens is a gift certificate for movies or a clothing or electronics store, or Target - the Mall etc...where they can get something they like and shop like the other kids. Put  it in a pretty wrapper, include a box of candy or other small gift that anyone would like.  Older boys are often particularly left out.  

3- Often entire families are “adopted” by a business or church group-with individuals each shopping for one family member.  if you do this please, please make sure that every family member gets roughly equal gifts. It’s really hurtful when one kid gets an x-box from the CEO, and their brother gets a coloring book from a clerk.  ( this happened once with a family I worked with, and the kids were twins - it was my first year dealing with holiday gifting, after that I always checked ! ) 

4- It isn’t usually possible, but if you know something of the history of the kids you are getting gifts for, adjust accordingly. If they are homeless  - think compact, portable and multi-functional- like an inexpensive tablet that doesn’t need wi-fi. Not a huge LEGO set. If their parents are just coming out of jail or have substance abuse issues - don’t give gifts that are easily convertible to cash. 

5- If it’s a project where you donate wrapped gifts, consider not putting a stick on tag with your name or other identifying info. Tape a note that describes the gift, and let the parent can take credit. It can mean the world for a parent with nothing to have “something” to give their kids. .

6- If you commit to donating a gift to a particular child or family please follow through. Or please let the sponsoring organization know if you can’t. I can’t even count the hours I’ve spent scrambling through lines at K-Mart on December 23rd scrapping together SOMETHING for kids who were supposed to have gifts delivered on the 22nd. 

7- Even with very limited funds- putting together a $10 box of art supplies can make a world of difference,

Thank you to everyone who puts time and their often scarce money into providing help to families on the holidays. There is SO much pressure and expectation built around providing a “good” holiday. And so much baggage around the inability to do so, and past baggage around the bad years....

just some thoughts . ?

Thank you for this.  My office is currently deciding what to do for our holiday giving this year.   We're leaning toward adopt-a-family.  I'm going to pass these guidelines along.  

My department adopts a family every year. Staff donate cash and a few do the shopping. We make sure there is Christmas dinner, gifts for each family member, pyjamas and the rest goes to food and supplies (cold medicine, over the counter medication, laundry soap, etc) We are just waiting to hear about this year’s family. 

It's so amazing for the family when people reach out this way. One thing I might suggest to everyone who participates... write a note to the mom/dad/grandparents/guardians and let them know they're doing a great job. Because being the adult in that situation sucks balls. You know you need help but it's hard not to feel like total crap because you can't provide. I speak from experience as we were one of those families two years ago. The encouragement means a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

While searching for John and Abbie's wedding I came across yet another Jana courting rumour on you tube.   (Bless her I should not be adding to the speculation really, she is hounded! ) But I can't resist - so this one is about Chuck - Jeremy's older brother.  He is a nice looking chap under that beard and hair.  Is there any reason to believe the speculation could be true?  I want that girl married and  out of there and not having to share a bedroom with a stack of little girls.

Actually ideally I want her to get her own place and pursue a career in house renovation and interior design as  as a single women but that, sadly,  is not going to happen.  So a nice (not too fundie) husband would be a good alternative., 

bahahahah no, I cannot imagine there is any reason to believe Jana and Chuck Jr. would ever be together. I did enjoy my deep dive on his IG, it's very pretty. IDK about the Vuolo sister, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if this dude was a secular humanist or something. Even if he is a protestant Christian, I can't imagine him bringing his stay at home wife along with him to every filming location or saving his first kiss for the wedding or even just agreeing to a courtship with absurd rules when he is clearly a real life adult. The only way this would happen IMO is if Jana freed herself first and then connected with him after she's out on her own.

44 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

But will you pass Jim Bob’s questions?

Probably not, lol. But given the fact that I'm a woman, I wouldn't even make it that far, lol. 

On 11/25/2018 at 2:08 AM, theotherelise said:

bahahahah no, I cannot imagine there is any reason to believe Jana and Chuck Jr. would ever be together. I did enjoy my deep dive on his IG, it's very pretty. IDK about the Vuolo sister, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if this dude was a secular humanist or something. Even if he is a protestant Christian, I can't imagine him bringing his stay at home wife along with him to every filming location or saving his first kiss for the wedding or even just agreeing to a courtship with absurd rules when he is clearly a real life adult. The only way this would happen IMO is if Jana freed herself first and then connected with him after she's out on her own.

I thought it was unlikely but I live in hope.......

If she ever escapes fundie land I am sure men (and women) would be queuing up for her.

In a TH, Jana talked about decorating and remodeling for other people, outside the family. Given that she is a single woman in fundie land, could this actually happen though? Could she have her own business without a spouse? 

In a TH, Jana talked about decorating and remodeling for other people, outside the family. Given that she is a single woman in fundie land, could this actually happen though? Could she have her own business without a spouse? 
Jana might have a brother with her as a safety measure. If she meets prospective clients and creates job estimstes and hires subcontractors as needed that is kinda cool. Or she could be buying temodeling and flipping houses...which is also cool. Makes her more successful than Josh....

I still dislike their political and religious beliefs.

6 hours ago, SamuraiKatz said:

Jana might have a brother with her as a safety measure. If she meets prospective clients and creates job estimstes and hires subcontractors as needed that is kinda cool. Or she could be buying temodeling and flipping houses...which is also cool. Makes her more successful than Josh....

An Earthworm is more successful than Josh.

21 hours ago, SamuraiKatz said:

Brothers = "subcontractors."

8 hours ago, marmalade said:

Brothers = "subcontractors."

Makes sense to me. Brothers flip, Jana stages and sells. A sibling version of Fixer Upper.

1 hour ago, mpheels said:

Makes sense to me. Brothers flip, Jana stages and sells. A sibling version of Fixer Upper.

This would be way more interesting than weddings and babies, weddings and babies.

I might even watch.

I always thought Jana and John-David would do something like this in the future. It would not only be a siblings version of fixxer upper, but a twinversion.

But then again JD never seemed to be all too comfortable in front of the camera so this probably wouldn't have been his dreamjob.

Apparently nobody but us thinks the home redo angle is a good one. That scene of Jana in the large garden machine was great. Tbe show could use more of her bossing the boys around. Nah, let’s make the little girls sing. Sigh. 

5 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Apparently nobody but us thinks the home redo angle is a good one. That scene of Jana in the large garden machine was great. Tbe show could use more of her bossing the boys around. Nah, let’s make the little girls sing. Sigh. 

Agreed, LOL. What the Duggars need it s bit of humbling and some indication that they are contributing members of our society at large. Their religious "message" (LOL), would be a lot more believable and endearing if they were shown to be giving back and participating in community life, rather than taking, taking and taking some more, and all the while scolding others along the way (looking at you, Dillard). 

TL;DR- The Duggars' actions do not match their message. As opposed to a loving religion, a plausible guideline for living a healthy, valuable, contributory life, their message presents as a cross between a wacky cult with a slimy, financial, tax evasion scheme-

On the one hand, it seems like an obvious money making angle. On the other hand, it would require JB to give the kidults some degree of individual expression, and might even lead to full fledged independence. 

They could even make it part of their “ministry” a la extreme home makeovers. Do free/discounted home repairs and renovations for needy families. By used - Make use of reclaimed and recycled materials. We already know they can/will grift materials as need thanks to the Bates home renovation.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived