IGNORED

Josh, Anna, and M'kids part 18: The Prodigal Son Returneth

Buzzard

9 hours ago, adidas said:

Josh is looking unwell, but I can’t put my finger on why. Is it his eyes?

They look puffy, he looks puffy....... he looks like someone who is an alcoholic. Puffy. 

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Children absolutely can understand death at a young age to a cetain extent. It's not exactly the same as an adult's but they still understand it. When I was four, my baby cousin died so my mother made it clear to me that 1. Everyone dies 2. Sometimes babies and children die and 3. Sometimes dying, while sad, can be good when it means the person doesn't have to suffer anymore(the baby was very sick).  Her explaination made sense to me, and honestly, I think I had a healthier understanding of death than some other kids I knew  whose parents tried to shield them from it because they were "too little." 

Mac is like 8 or 9, right? She's not 3. A 9-year-old is only a couple of years away from puberty, and should be able to comprehend the concept of death. I think it comes down to how the adults explain it to them. Children can understand most things if it's explained to them on their level.

Speaking of little kids and death, my baby niece has started having animated conversations with "Nana" only Nana's dead and the baby never met her/heard us mention her. She got very excited when we showed her Nana's picture for the first time (after she already started talking to Nana, without knowing who the picture was of). It's given us all a lot to think about.  Anyone else have any weird stories like that about their little kids? 

19 minutes ago, BernRul said:

Speaking of little kids and death, my baby niece has started having animated conversations with "Nana" only Nana's dead and the baby never met her/heard us mention her. She got very excited when we showed her Nana's picture for the first time (after she already started talking to Nana, without knowing who the picture was of). It's given us all a lot to think about.  Anyone else have any weird stories like that about their little kids? 

I find those kind of stories both a bit scary and comforting. I would love to believe my granparents can somehow visit and see me and my siblings and our kids. That would be awesome. 

They might not approve of me reading this in my pyjamas while eating chips when I should really go to bed though ...

1 minute ago, Iamtheway said:

I find those kind of stories both a bit scary and comforting.

Scary and comforting about sums it up. 

10 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Oh lord, she crossed out “lucky” because Jesus is in control of everything~

ohhhh is that what that was? Jeepers my fundie senses are going down hill. I normally pick that shit up. I did wonder....

2 hours ago, BernRul said:

Anyone else have any weird stories like that about their little kids? 

I don't have any stories but can I say I can't wait for this thread drift....

This is the stuff of facebook scrolling that catches my eye and makes me click....

You are all making me question how I’m approaching this with my kiddo, age five. My mom passed about a year and a half before he was born and I’ve talked about her with him more or less since birth. I’m an atheist and I don’t tell him he will get to meet her, just that I wish he could have or things she would have said sometimes. He’s pretty clear on death because we live rurally and have animals, so he’s seen dead chickens and other animals a few times. He knows she died and what that means. He seems ok with everything so far, but I hope it hasn’t messed with him. Guess I’ll see in another decade or so ?

5 hours ago, CharlieInCharge said:

You are all making me question how I’m approaching this with my kiddo, age five. 

It sounds like you handled it just fine to me!

13 hours ago, BernRul said:

Whenever my beautiful 3 year old niece is over at my house, she will look at a canvas I have on the wall of my wedding day. She calls it "pretty dress day" and will ask questions about weddings.

Recently, she asked me if her grandparents had a "pretty dress day". I said yes and went through photo albums to find a photo to show her. I found one of my parents wedding day that had my Dad's parents in it. Right away, she pointed at my Grandpa, Charlie, who passed in 1998. Before I could say anything, she instantly said "that's Charlie. We sing songs".

A little weird but I didn't think too much of it. Logical explanation was that she had seen a photo of Grandpa and been told his first name.

When my brother and SIL picked her up, I told them what happened. They said they had not talked about Grandpa. SIL went white as a ghost and said Miss 3 was always talking about "Charlie", singing songs and playing games. My SIL said she thought Charlie must have been a kid at daycare. Nope. Just her dearly departed [or not] Great-Grandpa who always loved to sing.

SIL was not the only one who ended up white as a ghost. ?

When my second daughter was 3 (she's 20 now) she kept asking for her "Mummy with the brown hair". She said it quite often for about 18 months, at random times and without a lot of emotion. I do believe in reincarnation so I wasn't hughly bothered by it, and I did try to ask her questions but she never wanted to talk about her so I left it alone. I have/have always had ginger hair so it wasn't me she wanted! She has no memory of it now and it freaks her out when I talk about it ?

When I was quite little, I apparently had everyone at church (I did not go to preschool etc - it was the mid to late 60s and I had a stay at home mom at the time) convinced I had a much older brother at home.   Mom miscarried 6 or so years before I was born (I'm the oldest) and I'm not unconvinced to this day that I wasn't really interacting with an actual older brother.

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I get easily scared by true life eerie stories.... I am scared! 

Me too. I have a very precocious, talkative 2 and a half year old who says things sometimes that make me like.....I'm just going to tell myself that she's repeating something she saw on Disney Junior.

She was in the tub a few weeks ago and kept repeating "Something is in the water. It says OOOOOOOO!" in a spooky voice. And I told her "Stop saying that, you're scaring Mama." Guess what she does almost every single bath now. :pb_lol:

28 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

Me too. I have a very precocious, talkative 2 and a half year old who says things sometimes that make me like.....I'm just going to tell myself that she's repeating something she saw on Disney Junior.

She was in the tub a few weeks ago and kept repeating "Something is in the water. It says OOOOOOOO!" in a spooky voice. And I told her "Stop saying that, you're scaring Mama." Guess what she does almost every single bath now. :pb_lol:

Recently, My 4YO GD told her babysitter that death is not such a sad thing because when you die, you are reborn into someone or something else. She also stated that before she was a little girl, she was a cat. My Gd has a rudimentary knowledge of God, prayer, etc..., but she does not go to church. My daughter was a bit freaked out, and wanted to know who introduced her daughter to Buddhism. 

30 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Recently, My 4YO GD told her babysitter that death is not such a sad thing because when you die, you are reborn into someone or something else. She also stated that before she was a little girl, she was a cat. My Gd has a rudimentary knowledge of God, prayer, etc..., but she does not go to church. My daughter was a bit freaked out, and wanted to know who introduced her daughter to Buddhism. 

I wonder if she saw something on TV or if it is real. Not sure how I feel about reincarnation. I sometimes tell my husband I wonder if I am as I have this real odd thing about Queen Elizabeth I. I would never think I was her but I wonder if I knew her. I get real defensive of her and angry when I don't feel her portrayal is correct.... my husband calls it "you and your weirdness about Elizabeth I". He dismisses reincarnation though. 

2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I wonder if she saw something on TV or if it is real. Not sure how I feel about reincarnation. I sometimes tell my husband I wonder if I am as I have this real odd thing about Queen Elizabeth I. I would never think I was her but I wonder if I knew her. I get real defensive of her and angry when I don't feel her portrayal is correct.... my husband calls it "you and your weirdness about Elizabeth I". He dismisses reincarnation though. 

I think this means you were a History major in a past life!

Just now, singsingsing said:

I think this means you were a History major in a past life!

Perhaps I was some great historian! 

When wychling was about 3, she told me that "nana Paula" (my maternal grandmother who died when I was 9)  wore glasses.  nana Paula did wear glasses, and nobody has a picture of her wearing glasses.  Kiddo couldn't explain how she knew about the glasses.

Personally I think reincarnation makes the most sense out of all afterlife possibilities. I'm not a scientist, but I remember hearing that energy can't be created or destroyed, only changes it's form. Makes sense if you think of humans as having "energy," of their own. IMO and my IMO only (with all due respect to those of different beliefs) it never made sense to me that you live on Earth for like 75 years, then spend billions in heaven or hell. Reincarnation just seems logical to me. 

My personal view is that after you die your soul might be tied to earth for a while (like the little kids who still talk to Nana or whoever) and then after a while you are reincarnated. But everyone's different and no one knows the right answer. 

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I got that with the Sphinx in Egypt. When I saw him. I felt like I knew him and loved him. Whoever he is based on I think I was one of his servants or companions. 

Climbing up to the Acropolis in Greece, I found my way naturally and without help and I felt like I was being called home. 

Seeing Michaelangelo pieces in real life gives me goosebumps.... 

So many things that can’t be explained. 

My son (8)  has never met my mom who died in 2007. When he was about 2 he’d say he knew grandma Lori, etc. I didn’t talk about my mom a lot and certainly didn’t refer to her as grandma lori seeing as she was never a grandma for them to name... now we talk about hernand I’ll answer any questions. Recently we were talking about her and I said she wasn’t comfortable with lots of hugs and cuddles. My oldest said ‘oh yeah I knew that. She just wanted a hug to know you love her. ... okdokie. Definitely never had a conversation like that. My son also says he still Hears my granny’s cane. He did meet her and she did have a distinctive sound with her cane! Been gone 6 years though now. Life is weird.

One of my cousins passed away from cancer over a year ago. He told his wife that his biggest wish was to have someone play Amazing Grace on the bagpipes at his funeral. His wife honored that request of course and it was such a touching part of the service. A few months after his funeral the director over the cemetery called my cousin’s wife and told her how another family had a 12 yr old boy play the bagpipes at their relative’s funeral. This was not the same player we had. The boy was supposed to walk a circle around the cemetery while playing but suddenly changed his route, walked over to my cousin’s grave, and stood there playing Amazing Grace. Afterward his family asked the kid why he did that because none of their family is buried in that section. He told them “I don’t know why, but something told me to play at that man’s grave.” The director asked if he knew my cousin or anything about him. He said no. The director shared with that family about the player we had and how that was my cousin’s last request. It had them all in tears. I still get chills thinking about it. 

Good Housekeeping on FB had an Anna Duggar post about her weight loss. I clicked and read the article. In one picture she looks so much like JoAnna and another one she looks just like Jana. WTF!

FFF46D98-2AA5-49E7-AD58-80CED4846D00.png

2913DC56-8137-40CE-8F6F-722EEFC441A1.png

About the kids saying creepy things:

I don’t know if I’m wording this right. I’m guessing that some* of these stories are just kids trying to connect the dots between themselves and the people who were important to the people the child loves most. It’s a way to feel connected and involved. Or they’re using the world around them and people in their families to practice using their imaginations. Kind of like how Psychics throw out vague generalized questions and use the answers to twist the reading to seem accurate (just, you know, innocent and not on purpose since the kids are so young.) Like this:

8D8BCF61-EC42-4717-AA47-0CF2CC83D466.jpeg.0a74fab0a611c12188a351ca7dafb288.jpeg

To give an example mentioned here:

I think it was @Granwychwho mentioned their child talking about Grandma’s glasses, which they probably couldn’t have known about because Grandma had passed away before they were born. Lots of people wear glasses though, especially people who are older (which, to be fair, is everyone over the age of 10 to a toddler. Lol!) Maybe the child noticed that from family members or cartoons and mentioned that Grandma wore glasses too based off that observation. They didn’t really know that Grandma wore glasses, they were just making an educated guess based off their observations. 

*I purposely said some. I’m a skeptic when it comes to the supernatural, but I understand not everyone feels the same way. 

These conversations and anecdotes are definitely interesting, but going back to Anna's original post- we don't know that the kids actually said they are looking forward to meeting their grandma in heaven. The post said "our children look forward to...". For all we know Anna is just putting words in her children's mouths. 

On 3/20/2019 at 5:05 AM, Mrs.Right said:

Good Housekeeping on FB had an Anna Duggar post about her weight loss. I clicked and read the article. In one picture she looks so much like JoAnna and another one she looks just like Jana. WTF!

FFF46D98-2AA5-49E7-AD58-80CED4846D00.png

2913DC56-8137-40CE-8F6F-722EEFC441A1.png

Ugh, why is Good Housekeeping promoting the Duggars, and especially Anna? I could see this being in InTouch or something, but isn't GH slightly more respectable than that? I admit I haven't read an issue since my grandmother got them in the 90s, so maybe it's changed, but I didn't think "Woman mostly famous for knowingly marrying child molester loses baby weight before welcoming yet another child" would be their kinda thing. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived