IGNORED

Josh, Anna, and M'kids part 18: The Prodigal Son Returneth

Buzzard

@singsingsing, this just in:  your Duggar rumour fact checking site that you just thought of and doesn't exist yet is ALREADY blocked and banned by Pickles!

The mere thought of it in the ether is really cramping her style.

It sounds like a great idea considering that everyday the internet shows me at least 5 ridiculous duggar articles that I declare to be bullshit without even reading the whole headline. 

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

The mention of wishing there was a list makes me want to make a webpage listing the various Duggars, their marital or pregnancy status, and a link (or links) to whatever source(s) most recently provided the information. I actually kind of want to start something of a 'Duggar Snopes' site where people can quickly and easily find a particular Duggar rumour and see what its status is (true, false, uncertain, etc.) which I think would be kind of fun and useful... but I'd have to figure out how best to go about doing it. I thought of making a Tumblr, but I'm not sure how easily searchable it is.

Maybe you could add it on to @VelociRapture‘s Duggar Cheat Sheet?

11 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Can't unsee this. :(

I’m sorry.

14 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

@singsingsing, this just in:  your Duggar rumour fact checking site that you just thought of and doesn't exist yet is ALREADY blocked and banned by Pickles!

The mere thought of it in the ether is really cramping her style.

It sounds like a great idea considering that everyday the internet shows me at least 5 ridiculous duggar articles that I declare to be bullshit without even reading the whole headline. 

ACCURATE.

I made a tumblr called duggarfacts because I'm extremely uncreative, haha! I'm still playing around with how exactly I'm going to format it. I'm thinking a pinned post with basic facts like name, DOB, relationship status, pregnancy status (lol - these are the Duggars), location, occupation, # of kids, etc., and then links to more in-depth posts examining specific rumours ('Did Jana have a broken courtship?' / 'Are so-and-so in a FEUD?' / 'Is Jim Bob a lizard person?') 

I just want something well-sourced and up-to-date that people can check really quickly and easily to find out whether something is true or not. A 'no stupid questions' kind of thing. Like they see a tabloid article and can just skip over to the blog to see if it's complete b.s. or not.

9 hours ago, singsingsing said:

ACCURATE.

I made a tumblr called duggarfacts because I'm extremely uncreative, haha! I'm still playing around with how exactly I'm going to format it. I'm thinking a pinned post with basic facts like name, DOB, relationship status, pregnancy status (lol - these are the Duggars), location, occupation, # of kids, etc., and then links to more in-depth posts examining specific rumours ('Did Jana have a broken courtship?' / 'Are so-and-so in a FEUD?' / 'Is Jim Bob a lizard person?') 

I just want something well-sourced and up-to-date that people can check really quickly and easily to find out whether something is true or not. A 'no stupid questions' kind of thing. Like they see a tabloid article and can just skip over to the blog to see if it's complete b.s. or not.

(bolded is mine)

10/10 can see Jim Bob being a lizard person. He's got that look that says "I'm a bunch of lizards in a people costume" XD XD XD 

As sweet as the general sentiment might be, is there one single context in which kids saying “I’m looking forward to dying and meeting an ancestor I don’t know” sounds anything but creepy? Live your life first, kids... 

D43169EE-83FE-4FE7-AEC2-59DB14EF6E3E.png

I think the kids looking forward to meeting their grandma in heaven is sweet, but something about this post reinforces that everything is about indoctrination/religion with these people. Can't the kids just have fun learning to cook? It could also be a SOTDRT science class.

Maybe I'm projecting, but I remember thinking about meeting people in heaven as a kid, and the mixed thoughts/feelings that could come with it. On one hand, the idea of everybody being together in a wonderful place was comforting, but then came the logistical questions of how one gets to heaven. My parents are liberal Catholics, so there was minimal mention of hellfire and damnation, but it was still enough to make not getting into heaven a terrifying prospect.

Plus thinking about mortality is a heavy topic at any age. Necessary and unavoidable, but hoo boy! Time to carpe diem and enjoy shoving delicious pizza into my piehole while I can.

27 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I think the kids looking forward to meeting their grandma in heaven is sweet, but something about this post reinforces that everything is about indoctrination/religion with these people. Can't the kids just have fun learning to cook? It could also be a SOTDRT science class.

Maybe I'm projecting, but I remember thinking about meeting people in heaven as a kid, and the mixed thoughts/feelings that could come with it. On one hand, the idea of everybody being together in a wonderful place was comforting, but then came the logistical questions of how one gets to heaven. My parents are liberal Catholics, so there was minimal mention of hellfire and damnation, but it was still enough to make not getting into heaven a terrifying prospect.

Plus thinking about mortality is a heavy topic at any age. Necessary and unavoidable, but hoo boy! Time to carpe diem and enjoy shoving delicious pizza into my piehole while I can.

You know, I think if they had just lost their grandma and mum suggested making a cake in her memory, telling them about meeting again some day, them saying: “yeah, it will be fun seeing grandma again” wouldn’t bother me in the slightest. But it’s Anna’s grandma actually and if I’m not very much mistaken, she passed away before her great grandkids were born. So, the kids don’t know her, have never met her and have no emotional attachment. Still, they talk about dying and meeting her. That’s what I find odd and problematic. Additionally, I could imagine certain responses are encouraged and expected, making the whole thing even weirder. 

Are all the unmarried Duggars out of town all at once? 

11 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

As sweet as the general sentiment might be, is there one single context in which kids saying “I’m looking forward to dying and meeting an ancestor I don’t know” sounds anything but creepy? Live your life first, kids... 

D43169EE-83FE-4FE7-AEC2-59DB14EF6E3E.png

Okay so the sentiment might seem creepy to us adults but I don't think kids (particularly the younger Ms) are old enough to comprehend what death actually means. Because they've been raised quite religiously they likely have been told that, for example "Grandma Stembridge isn't here anymore but she's up in heaven with Jesus and someday when you go to heaven with Jesus you'll be able to meet her" Which is a much more age appropriate way to explain it. They probably don't understand the finality of death.  Even when I was Mackenzye's (or how ever they spell it) age I didn't. My own great grandmother died when I was that age and I didn't really understand the finality of it all. Mostly I just knew it meant i got to see and play with my cousins. I didn't get freaked out about any of it until my grandmother made me kiss the corpse but even then I didn't understand death I just knew that the body in the open casket wasn't the great grandmother I'd known. 

38 minutes ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

Okay so the sentiment might seem creepy to us adults but I don't think kids (particularly the younger Ms) are old enough to comprehend what death actually means. Because they've been raised quite religiously they likely have been told that, for example "Grandma Stembridge isn't here anymore but she's up in heaven with Jesus and someday when you go to heaven with Jesus you'll be able to meet her" Which is a much more age appropriate way to explain it. They probably don't understand the finality of death.  Even when I was Mackenzye's (or how ever they spell it) age I didn't. My own great grandmother died when I was that age and I didn't really understand the finality of it all. Mostly I just knew it meant i got to see and play with my cousins. I didn't get freaked out about any of it until my grandmother made me kiss the corpse but even then I didn't understand death I just knew that the body in the open casket wasn't the great grandmother I'd known. 

I disagree. Children, especially at Mckenzie’s age but even earlier, can have an understanding of what death means. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but when my great grandma passed when I was 7 or 8, I understood exactly what was going on. My parents didn’t rise me to fear God, so there was no overbearing idea of hell in my mind, but I was very aware of the finality, the grieving process, the illness that had led to her death... That, paired with the fact that Anna and her sister Priscilla talked multiple times about baking resurrection cookies (or some other type of crucifixion-themed baked good) as children and now with their own children, they appear to get the idea of death across quite age-inappropriately. See Priscilla’s YouTube video for further details. Never has a baking instruction sounded so unpleasant. So while I hope it went down the way you imagine it, I certainly wouldn’t bet my money on it. 

22 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

I disagree. Children, especially at Mckenzie’s age but even earlier, can have an understanding of what death means. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but when my great grandma passed when I was 7 or 8, I understood exactly what was going on. My parents didn’t rise me to fear God, so there was no overbearing idea of hell in my mind, but I was very aware of the finality, the grieving process, the illness that had led to her death... That, paired with the fact that Anna and her sister Priscilla talked multiple times about baking resurrection cookies (or some other type of crucifixion-themed baked good) as children and now with their own children, they appear to get the idea of death across quite age-inappropriately. See Priscilla’s YouTube video for further details. Never has a baking instruction sounded so unpleasant. So while I hope it went down the way you imagine it, I certainly wouldn’t bet my money on it. 

I completely agree. I’ve mentioned this before, but my first significant experience with death was when my Aunt committed suicide two weeks before I turned five. I was very young and didn’t completely understand at that point*. Neither did my almost three year old brother. My sister was almost seven and she did understand a good portion of what that meant though. I don’t remember how old I was when it really clicked for me, but I do remember feeling extremely sad over it as a little kid and feeling angry at my Aunt for a very long time too - if I’m honest, it took over twenty years for me to really process what she must have been feeling and start to find some peace. I definitely understood before I was nine though, which was the age I was when my very first dog died and the age I was when my Great-Great-Aunt died of natural causes as well.  

*Part of that was age and part of that was due to the nature of her death. Trying to explain why someone took their own life to a small child is very different from explaining that someone passed away from natural causes or a terminal physical illness. I give my parents and my mom’s family a lot of credit for doing their best in what was a truly horrific situation. It can’t have been easy for them to juggle their very real grief with the questions and confusion of three small kids. 

My family lost three children before I was born, and I grew up very aware of their absence. I never had the chance to know them, but hearing the rest of my family talk about them made me really wish I had. It wasn’t the same kind of a sense I felt after my father died when I was nine, but both sentiments involved a degree of feeling cheated out of the presence of someone I (could/should have) loved. I can see why people might be uncomfortable with it, but remembering a childhood spent pining for the big brother and sisters I would ever only know in Heaven* makes me more than a little sympathetic to these kids who may just be articulating (in the only way they know) their sorrow at not knowing someone their mother clearly loved a great deal. 

I think that wanting to meet her in heaven is religious speak for "I wish I could have known her." I dont think it necessarily means in any sense that the kids are looking forward to their deaths, though it might. My mom had me read a book when I was pretty young (1st or 2nd grade) about a saint who died when she received her first communion. I remember wishing I could die of joy when I did too because then I knew I'd go to heaven and be happy forever. I certainly hope they dont do anything to make their kids wish  the protestant version of that, but it's certainly possible. This post isn't enough for us to know either way.

I would not expect those matching dresses from Anna with the 'see-through' fabric. Even though it is lined, I would still think they would not approve of the suggestiveness.

On 3/16/2019 at 9:23 PM, FluffySnowball said:

I was 6 when my great grandmother died and I think I had a pretty good grasp on what was going on. I think it depends on the child.

1 hour ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

I think it depends on the child.

I think it depends on the child as well. A family friend of ours just passed away a few weeks ago. Her daughter has 2 sons (7 & almost 5). Her older son understood that his grandmother passed away she had been sick for a few years he even drew a few pictures & wanted his mother to put them the in the coffin with her. They were not at the funeral though, their mother thought it would be to sad for them, the funeral was on a Tuesday so they went to school instead.  I think even if the funeral had been on a weekend the kids wouldn’t have been their. 

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:23 PM, FluffySnowball said:

I completely agree. My great-grandmother died when I was seven, and both of my grandmothers when I was nine and ten.  It messed me up for a long time after that. I knew what it meant but had no idea how to deal with it. Well, it messed my family up for a long time. I wasn't raised to fear God either but the opposite that God was good, kind and loving and we'll see each other all again in Heaven. 

I think it depends on the kind of relationship the child had with the deceased person too. My grandfather died when I was six, but he lived across the country and I hadn't seen or talked to him in several years. I don't think I had a strong idea of who he was really, so being told that he had died didn't make a lot of sense to me either.  I'm sure a lot of the little Duggars feel similarly about their great-grandmother. 

On the other hand when I was 9 a good friend's grandmother died, and she had lived with them and so I saw her several times a week, and she was always playing with us and making us cookies. That was the first time I felt like I was really confronted with death, and then I started to be scared my remaining grandparents would die at any moment. I shouldn't have worried, they held out until my late 20s, but I remember crying terribly whenever I left them, thinking I'd never see them again. 

I know St. Patrick’s Day is a secular celebration of Irish heritage for many people (present and accounted for!), but I still did a double take seeing Duggars publicly acknowledge a holiday that I mostly associate with Catholicism (though I think a few other Christian denominations celebrate as well.)

4 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Oh lord, she crossed out “lucky” because Jesus is in control of everything~

I’m going to need medical attention. I rolled my eyes too hard at this and I’m pretty sure I sprained them.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I know St. Patrick’s Day is a secular celebration of Irish heritage for many people (present and accounted for!), but I still did a double take seeing Duggars publicly acknowledge a holiday that I mostly associate with Catholicism (though I think a few other Christian denominations celebrate as well.)

As obnoxious as the Duggars are, I'm surprised they don't make a big deal about wearing Protestant orange. They probably aren't aware of this, but we all know how they like to be super special.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived