IGNORED

Dillards 66: Appropriate Spaces for Inappropriate People

Georgiana

That photo was so cluttered. All her IG photos give off the impression that she never cleans her house.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that photo would be stinkin' cute if it weren't for the basket of junk blocking the kids playing in the tub. she's almost there and then ruins it.

On 10/13/2018 at 10:36 PM, feministxtian said:

You can do both and still eat healthy. I've got a shit-ton of recipes in my head for cheap, easy and quick that are relatively healthy.

Yeah! I just want to give a shout out to the $4 a day cookbook. It's great. I can't find the link at the moment but it's on the googles.

Eta: found it! https://www.leannebrown.com/cookbooks/

Of course the discussion about the limited time and energy of the working poor could go here. Not sure if Jill qualifies as poor but she theoretically has time!

On 10/13/2018 at 11:02 PM, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

A toilet stall would be too kind. Derick deserves a dilapidated latrine with shit smeared on the walls.

This reminds me of the Chokey in the Matilda movie ?

My first two took bubble baths in our jetted tub fairly often. as toddlers/preschoolers. boundaries were observed. I don't understand your objections.

13 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I don't buy canned anything.

Tomatoes? Fresh winter tomatoes taste like cardboard in the Midwest where I live. I have seen professional cooks use canned tomatoes. I'm not a canned food snob, I use canned tuna and beans, and keep canned vegetables for when I run out of frozen. I don't make meals out of canned items though.

13 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

My first two took bubble baths in our jetted tub fairly often. as toddlers/preschoolers. boundaries were observed. I don't understand your objections.

I imagine the pictures of your kids having their bubble baths wasn't posted on social media for millions of people. There are plenty of pictures of me in the bath as a kid, there's plenty of pictures of me prancing around in just a diaper; the difference is that it was for my parents, maybe some family if they came to look at pictures. It didn't go out to millions.

@Carm_88 Understood, and accepted. IF they were shown on social media, it was a scrapbooking site with a private audience of a few thousand, AND all you saw was their cute bubble mustaches and beards....

I don't get the canned food hate, are people really that much of a food snob or just trying to sound like one? 

One of our favorite recipes - vegetarian chili - is heavy on canned goods and is still pretty healthy. We buy mostly sodium free canned goods and we rinse the beans and corn prior to cooking them. The recipe we based it off of is found here - we skip the Pinto Beans, double the amount of Red Kidney beans, skip the Tofu/meatless stuff, and we don’t use the stewed tomatoes. We add some spices (Cayenne, Paprika, Chipotle, Black pepper, and Ancho) once the tomato sauce is in the pot. You can pair it with white rice or Tostitos and it tastes pretty fantastic. The family sauce also uses canned tomatoes and tomato paste. My husband says fresh produce doesn’t give the right taste or texture. 

With a toddler it can be tough to cook sometimes, so we also rely on frozen steamer veggies. I’ll pop it in the microwave while she naps or is playing - sometimes I pop the cooked veggies into the fridge until we’re ready to eat. My daughter usually likes the veggies that way and it’s a great way to get more produce into her diet. 

ETA: Oh! And we make black bean burgers with canned sodium free beans as well. That recipe is here. They end up looking a bit like beef burgers, so it always takes me a bit by surprise when they don’t taste like beef (even though I know what they’re made of. Lol!)

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I don't get the canned food hate, are people really that much of a food snob or just trying to sound like one? 

Agreed, I just had canned soup for dinner. We didn't have a lot of food in and wanted a quick dinner. I think balance is important, eating processed food everyday is not great but once in a while.

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I guess it depends on what you think of when you hear/read „canned food“. I use canned tomatoes (no seasoning, just tomatoes and salt) as basis for sauces. But when I read „canned food“ I think of pre made soups or spiced vegetables that you just have to heat up or ravioli on some sauce. 

I think part of it too is where do you get the recipes from? I like to use tasteofhome.com, but also go on bettycrocker.com and pillsbury.com. Taste of Home uses many fewer cans and other pre-made foods because they are an independent group that compiles and publishes recipe sent in by their readers. Both Betty Crocker and Pillsbury, while they have been around for a really long time and many treasure their Betty Crocker cookbook, are arms of companies that produce canned goods and convenience foods. I have noticed that Betty Crocker and Pillsbury will quite often call for a can of this soup, a package of that, or cans of this vegetable. Part of the reason their recipes are developed are to get people to use the pre packaged foods. when you could subscribe to the magazine, I subscribe to the Betty Crocker magazine and witnessed the evolution from mostly fresh ingredients to much more heavily canned, or buy a package of this and add that and something else to make a meal. I think part of it is because they are related to a company that makes the pre-packaged foods, and part of was probably recognizing that the women had less time to spend on cooking than what they used to, and still wanted to prepare good food for their family.

I have a pantry full of canned goods, and I am not ashamed!  I cook with them, and I love it.

I try to limit the perishable food I buy because I live alone and it so frequently goes to waste.  My schedule is a bit unpredictable, so it's hard for me to plan meals in advance.  I cook/meal plan the day of, and while I COULD go to the store every single time I cook, I don't want to.  Time is a resource, and I would like to spend mine elsewhere.    

I have a smaller freezer.  My fridge is from the 1970s.  I'm getting a new one, but up until now, freezer space has been a premium for me.  I prefer to use my freezer space for other things.  Generally meats (so that I have some on hand and don't have to go to the store) and Popsicles.  There's not much space for frozen produce, and also I wasn't using a lot of it before it expired.  

I have a HUGE PANTRY.  I would like to use that space. And since I don't eat a lot of otherwise pantry stored foods like chips, cereals, etc. it's basically pasta and cans.  It makes sense for me to gravitate towards canned goods because I have the space to buy and store them in large quantities, which makes them make a ton of sense for staples.

All this combines to make canned veggies, legumes, and soups GREAT choices for me.  I have the space for them in cans, but not necessarily in other forms.  They have a long shelf life, so I don't have to worry about expiration if it takes me a while to get around to using them.  I like them.  They are less time-consuming to prepare than dried options.  

And you know what?  They fit my macros.  As someone who actually struggles to get enough sodium in her diet, cream of crap soup is often a godsend.

Jill's recipe is gross not BECAUSE she used canned goods, but because of HOW she used canned goods.  She could have made something equally as disgusting and unhealthy from fresh or frozen food too.  Canned goods are the right choice for many people depending on their situation.  It really doesn't make sense to encourage people to cook in a way that either makes them miserable by taking away from other aspects of their life or results in the waste of food.  

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

@Carm_88 Understood, and accepted. IF they were shown on social media, it was a scrapbooking site with a private audience of a few thousand, AND all you saw was their cute bubble mustaches and beards....

And the shampoo mohawks!

Another recipe with four cans of cream of chicken.  It looks horrific in the photo. How many of you could you even identify that as enchiladas?

Nevermind, it's a repost of an old recipe she previously posted. Whyyyy.

I swear, we had the food-shaming for canned foods three pages ago on this same Dullard thread.

@Georgiana if I had a huge pantry and wasn’t trying to cut down on sodium, we would be living the same life. I too am not ashamed of my canned goods. You will have to pry my canned corn out of my cold, dead hands. I also love canned soup. I always have some for when I get sick because no way am I trying to cook while sick. I stock up when they are 10 for 10. Fresh veggies are great if you know you can use them but I always stock up on the frozen ones because they won’t die in a week. 

As to eating healthy on a limited budget, that may be the case if you have great food shopping opportunities. Even in the massive city where I live, if you live in the poorer, minority neighborhoods, your options are limited as to groceries. There is usually one grocery store in the area, the options are limited and they jack up the prices because they know the people are stuck. There was actually an article in the newspaper about this years ago. Many people don’t have cars so they have no choice but to go to the closest store and buy whatever is cheap to keep their kids from going hungry. 

But...but... if we don’t shame women for using canned food for easy meals, how can we make them feel like the worthless, lazy, trash they are ? They surely aren’t being good girls ! Why aren’t they working harder to please their husbands ? 

I really don’t get how people can claim to hate the misogyny of the fundamentalists - and then pull the exact. same. shit. 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I swear, we had the food-shaming for canned foods three pages ago on this same Dullard thread.

We did lol. I'm here to wannabe mommy blogger shame though. 

Want to show off your cute children in a bubble bath but keep it modest? Add bubbles, not a laundry basket full of shit, Ofwreck.

39 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

But...but... if we don’t shame women for using canned food for easy meals, how can we make them feel like the worthless, lazy, trash they are ? They surely aren’t being good girls ! Why aren’t they working harder to please their husbands ? 

I really don’t get how people can claim to hate the misogyny of the fundamentalists - and then pull the exact. same. shit. 

Irony as opposed to shame, IMHO. These are adult women, and in Jill's case, a women who has been living on her own for quite some time. She has choices, options, resources and a whole clock full of time working in her favor, yet... Let's face it, they are a family of 4 with no active income and a leader who is law school ( a luxury by any stretch of the imagination for a man in his situation). Jill has every single advantage possible, yet her decisions leave many scratching their heads, considering their cult and their message verbalized. Why is it shaming to hold a person accountable to their own voiced standards???

No one here is shaming a single, working, low income mom with limited resources, especially in terms of time, for using the open and dump method of cooking.

I like to cook and consider myself a decent and creative savory cook, but I, at times,  use canned tomatoes, kidney beans, chickpeas-

7 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Tomatoes? Fresh winter tomatoes taste like cardboard in the Midwest where I live. I have seen professional cooks use canned tomatoes. I'm not a canned food snob, I use canned tuna and beans, and keep canned vegetables for when I run out of frozen. I don't make meals out of canned items though.

I buy canned refried beans.  I once made my own refried beans and it took a very long time and they didn't turn out half as good as the Rosarita canned brand I buy.  So when I need refried beans, I buy em canned.  I also buy canned tuna, canned pumpkin puree (again, because it's way easier to have that done for me), and canned coconut milk.  That's just off the top of my head.  I do like to cook with fresh ingredients, but I'm also practical and if there is something that I can buy canned that is quicker and tastes better than I can make for myself, why  not?

ETA:  I'm also working on preparing an emergency kit, and canned non-perishable goods are definitely going to be included in that, so there's another plus for canned goods :)

We're not dissing Chef Boy-ar-dee canned ravioli are we?  

My family has a great story of how I shamed them once when I was a kid and we went to a super nice restaurant while on vacation in Florida, and I wouldn't eat the ravioli 'cause it didn't look like the CBAD stuff.  I've grown to love the "real" stuff, but I still love the occasional canned treat as well.

But, I've already shamed myself here by admitting I like canned potatoes.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived