IGNORED

Dillards 66: Appropriate Spaces for Inappropriate People

Georgiana

FJ discusses what is appropriate where, especially when it comes to dogs and service animals.

Meanwhile, Jill Dillard was introduced to the novel idea that she should take her kids out to play.  Wowee.  

Continued from:

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A woman told me about a friend of hers who dated a guy who had an enormous snake that he let go all over the house and would even bring with him on vacation. Her final straw was that he refused to even close the bedroom door to shut the snake out.

39 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

A woman told me about a friend of hers who dated a guy who had an enormous snake that he let go all over the house and would even bring with him on vacation. Her final straw was that he refused to even close the bedroom door to shut the snake out.

Ah heck no- immediate deal breaker.

47 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

That would be a big HELL NO! You want a snake fine, keep it in the tank where I don't have to touch it, or it me, TYVM!

I know this is a few pages ago, but the Spirit Airlines hamster thing was a hoax. Pebbles was safe and fine with a friend, who felt guilty about the lie her friend was spreading and called the airlines to let them know she had him (Pebbles). 

Source: someone in my family works for Spirit HQ and was going ballistic at the time of this happening :pb_lol:

I like snakes, but wouldn't want one sneaking up on me while I'm asleep or interrupting sexy time. Plus I'd worry about it eating my dog.

16 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I like snakes, but wouldn't want one sneaking up on me while I'm asleep or interrupting sexy time. Plus I'd worry about it eating my dog.

I am in total agreement and I really want to pee without snakes too.

We had a pet corn snake for awhile. Severus (yes yes I know!) stayed in his tank unless he was being fed (fed in a seperate plastic container to avoid cage aggression) or held/handled, which was fairly often. He liked being wrapped around Oldest's wrist. But yeah no free roaming snakes for me!!

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

By any chance, was this guy named Voldemort? And was his snake named Nagini? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have an image of Voldemort going to Honeydukes and yelling at the shop manager that his snake is totally a service animal (after all, it provides the service of containing a piece of his soul), and how DARE he/she ask him to leave. Dark Lords have a sweet tooth too!! 

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Ooh goodness, this reminds me of a couple I knew in college (the first go-around).  They decided to breed albino corn snakes, but the snakes weren’t complying and getting it on. So they decided that the snakes would be more amorous if they just slithered all over the house, free and unincumbered. I didn’t know about this the first time I visited their apartment, but thereafter it was an enormous no. I can’t be sitting on the sofa or minding my business in the bathroom and just have snakes pop out of me. I’m not afraid of them, but damn, I can’t stand them popping out at me willy-nilly. 

This reminded me of Jill’s stroller “hack,” only better 

This guy gives hilarious parenting tips and his kids are super adorable.

Another “hack” Jill will try once she has a girl:

@HarryPotterFan, I love how the dad was shoveling dirt into the wheelbarrow while the baby was in it!

We used to have so much fun when Dad would take us for a wheelbarrow ride.

22 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I know this is a few pages ago, but the Spirit Airlines hamster thing was a hoax. Pebbles was safe and fine with a friend, who felt guilty about the lie her friend was spreading and called the airlines to let them know she had him (Pebbles). 

Source: someone in my family works for Spirit HQ and was going ballistic at the time of this happening :pb_lol:

Good to know. The ESA peacock that someone tried to fly with out of Newark on Delta or American I think wasn't sadly.

21 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

By any chance, was this guy named Voldemort? And was his snake named Nagini? Inquiring minds want to know.

My kid isn't named Voldemort, but she did have a ball python named Nagini for several years.

We finally rehomed the dude after the local pet store closed; I couldn't handle a longer drive with a live mouse, especially knowing what was going to happen with it. 

That post really shows how inept Jill is at being a parent. Playing outside is a novelty and not something she does with those kids every day? What does she do with them? 

The live rodent part of snake ownership is the worst part. 

Our corn snake lived 23 years. That’s pretty cool for any pet. When she was little she was stuck in a conch shell and had to be sawed out. My brother christened her Baby, cause she was so tiny. She grew to almost four feet.

She escaped for two weeks! No, that’s not fun, even when you love the snake.  And attempted it several more times. 

She flew on a plane in a pillowcase!  A very exciting life for a snake. 

Mostly she just hung out on her tree branch. 

@Alice in Fundieland, YIKES! SNAKE ON A PLANE!  Seriously, though that is cool that she was able to travel that way.

My husband's pet snake he had a kid once escaped from the aquarium when he was at school.  His mom found the snake climbing up the chain of a hanging light.   I can't remember offhand how she dealt with it.  Maybe kept it at bay till he got home from school?

@PennySycamore Yeah, we just took her. It was shortly before September 11. I don’t quite understand, in retrospect, how we got away with it. I don’t think we filled out forms or anything. She did go through the x-ray. There were definitely some hairy eyeballs. Emotional support hamsters don’t have a chance in these times.  My bird had to get all cleared and tested and registered and stuff. A snake in a lap is way too unregulated.

Based on pictures, they have a back yard with soft grass and high enough fence - perfect place to let the kids run free _every_single_day_, not just when a friend suggests it. I'm not a mother, but if I were, I'd dump my kids off to the yard to play if I wanted to get things done inside.

On 10/1/2018 at 6:46 PM, Rachel333 said:

Probably had a lucky escape! 

https://animalchannel.co/woman-sleeps-python/

18 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

That post really shows how inept Jill is at being a parent. Playing outside is a novelty and not something she does with those kids every day? What does she do with them? 

Sadly, I don't think that not taking kids outside is an odd thing anymore. The local school district here teaches kids in preK-5 that they should never be outside without an adult present, never cross a street without an adult, and walks them 50 feet from the front door of the school to the buses--in small groups no less--FOR SAFETY. I have had the teacher duty there of walking kids who walk home for the first FOUR BLOCKS from the school where parents or siblings of at least high school age are supposed to meet them before you can allow them to proceed. I have had the teacher duty of literally walking a kid home who lived ONE BLOCK over from the school. 

Mind you, I live in a midwestern semi-rural town with a population of 9000 and no child abductions or other crimes against children within the memory of neighbors who have lived here for 40+ years. 

Very few kids play outside here. In our previous neighborhood, moms would sit outside while 9 and 10 year olds rode bikes very slowly on their driveways a couple of times a week. Our new next door neighbors are kind of old school and their two kids (8 and 12) are outside on their own all the time. But they are usually stuck only playing with each other as the rest of the neighborhood kids are rarely allowed. 

5 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Based on pictures, they have a back yard with soft grass and high enough fence - perfect place to let the kids run free _every_single_day_, not just when a friend suggests it. I'm not a mother, but if I were, I'd dump my kids off to the yard to play if I wanted to get things done inside.

Shit yeah. I punt Small out into our yard every day- more so since it's school holidays. "Out! Out until you've got no more crazies in you!" It's coming up for snake season here, so today I reminded her of the snake safety rules. Today she was so engrossed in playing outside that I just put her lunch on the back step with a tea-towel over it to keep the flies off and left her to it. 

12 minutes ago, MaJessatic said:

It's coming up for snake season here, so today I reminded her of the snake safety rules.

Out of curiosity: where do you live? Snake season to my North European ears sounds like a living nightmare!

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived