IGNORED

The Smyth Family Homesteaders

EowynW

What a coincidence. I started watching her just yesterday after perusing Sounds like Reign.

I find it interesting when people who were not raised like this choose this lifestyle.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

22 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I hope you're able to get back to your homestead soon! :my_heart:

Thank you, it is my happy place.  The quite starry nights with out any light pollution are my favorite.  We jokeingly called it a homestead when we bought it and the name stuck.  I looked up the definition and because we are off grid and plan to garden and have at least egg chickens it dose fit.

For anyone that is wondering, being off grid is easier and cheeper then bringing in utilities to our rural 5 acres.  Being a hippy it was easy to accept and move on to getting solar and all that.  I would love to raise our own meat so I know where it comes from, but our garden will always be a hobby garden.  We are seeking a simpler, quieter life, not to be fully self sufficient on our own 5 acres type of thing. 

Edited by LovelyLuna
riffles
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 13

If I have a pet fundie, it would be Sounds Like Reign. They are pretty mellow and not overtly hateful in to their videos. I am not giving their beliefs a pass, I am just glad not all fundies are Jill Rodriguez. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

On 10/19/2018 at 10:40 PM, katilac said:

I couldn't make it through a full minute, what with the goofy grins, repetition, and him picking at his beard like a bloody monkey. 

Oh my god I bet his beard is filthy! If he’s constantly touching it all day long he must be transferring a huge amount of germs from beard to hands to beard again. I would hate to shake his hand! I bet if we swabbed that thing it would contain E. coli and a few million other things.

• Haha 1

Oh Texas Mom and Texas Dad of The Texas Boys.  I don't think I've ever made it through an entire video of theirs.  Recently found myself watching part of their "why we don't celebrate Halloween" video and found it so lame and ridiculous.  The church he went to as a kid had a Halloween party, how horrible!  They did games like feeling eye balls and brains (peeled grapes and cold spaghetti).  It's a miracle he lived.  I couldn't tell if she "really couldn't believe his church would to that" or if she was being sarcastic.  I stopped after a few minutes.  Weird grins, awkward pauses, beard picking.  So bizarre.  The Smyth family seems to idolize them and speak about watching The Texas Boys frequently. 

@fundiefollower I watched a few minutes of that Halloween video. I found it hilarious, but I don't think that was their intention! 

I'll be glorifying death this Friday night. Big party. Chocolate. Pinata. Bbq. Much Satan! Wanna come?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

On 10/3/2018 at 3:17 PM, Meggo said:

She's a little more woo woo (with the herbs and the root beer float drink) than I'd be comfortable with - but if they're taking kids to the doctor when they break something - I'm down with that. And she seemed non judgey about pants.

I watched some of their videos awhile back...didn't realize this was the same family.

It was nice of them to have their little boy treated for his broken leg, especially since it broke because dad ran over it with his truck.  IIRC, the mom explained that the kids don't encounter a lot of cars but have been taught/trained what to do around them.  The child ran out to greet his dad as he was coming up the driveway and she thought maybe he tripped.  He was three years old.

They believe in character education and the kids seem *really* well behaved.

Not sure what to make of these folks but I have some concerns.

• WTF 5

Sure they took him to the doctor, as well they should have.  A femur break is a major injury.  But they have no insurance.  Kip spoke about it in the video about the injury and I think also in some comments.  They applied for medicad for this injury which I'm sure they were approved for and I believe they got some money donated to cover costs.  Kip said that the insurance offered through his job  was too expensive.  They don't even do Scamaratian.  I was surprised.  But considering that their last baby was born in the travel trailer they were living in at the time, I shouldn't be. 

They must be getting a lot of money grifted to them based on the last video they posted.  I will say it is nice to see sweet Esther dressed recently in dresses that aren't falling apart and filthy.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 3

Insurance is expensive. We have it through Mr EW's  work but it STILL hits us hard. A lot of people can't afford much if any insurance in this country. If we didn't get it through work we wouldn't be able to afford it. 

• Upvote 2

if the Smyth Dad gives you bad vibes, then you will dislike ‘Texas Dad’ even more.  He sounds like he has been taking lessons from Steven Anderson.  I’m really glad they only have one girl so far because they have very strict modesty standards.  Texas Mom did a video about finding modest clothes for her toddler.  She puts shirts backwards so you can't see 1/4 of an inch of baby girl skin.  She also orders a size 4-5 dresses for a 2 year old so they are ‘long enough’. :my_confused:

Edited by LovelyLuna
spelling is hard
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 6
  • WTF 12

5 hours ago, EowynW said:

Insurance is expensive. We have it through Mr EW's  work but it STILL hits us hard. A lot of people can't afford much if any insurance in this country. If we didn't get it through work we wouldn't be able to afford it. 

The problem is that so many fundies don’t apply for Medicaid when they would qualify. And then don’t take their children to the dr or dentist when they really need it because they can’t afford it. 

• Sad 1
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The problem is that so many fundies don’t apply for Medicaid when they would qualify. And then don’t take their children to the dr or dentist when they really need it because they can’t afford it. 

Yep I know this well. Grew up that way. :D Though if it was a truely needed that did manage to get us in but we never had routine visits for teeth cleaning etc. Not until I got braces as a teenager thanks to my grandma 

Edited by EowynW
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, EowynW said:

Yep I know this well. Grew up that way. :D Though if it was a true news they did manager to get us in but we never had routine visits for teeth cleaning etc. Not until I got braces as a teenager thanks to my grandma 

Ugh. I was about 19 years old when I first took myself to the dentist. Never had been before. Thank Rufus I only had five cavities! 

I can't afford insurance for myself, but at least I'm not fundie and have no problem using Medicaid for my children. When my kids are sick, they go to the doctor, and if they break a bone, we won't have to go bankrupt from medical bills.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2

On 10/19/2018 at 4:18 PM, hollyandivy said:

I came across this gem in my youtube feed: 

these two are something else!

Dear lord, I don't know if listening to them is better but being Deaf/hard of hearing I am depednent on captions for online videos. Most fundie videos don't have them so I just read all your comments (which I reckon is better anyway). I was able to get CC on this and...... I can't even.

"Something on our mind" They share one collective mind? Then the talk about Texas Mom not knowing current events from Texas Dad. 

But just the repetition, the jumbled words, over and over, I couldn't even try to get through their shitty beliefs.

I mean honestly I've seen better English on videos by profoundly Deaf folks (whose native language is ASL so English often gets put in ASL structure, Me go store, Me happy finish or using finish at the end of anything to make it past tense, etc.) So yeah this was super painful. I'm almost glad I couldn't hear it if the captions were this bad.

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

Spank me if I'm out-of-line and I'm not sure if anyone is up for a new family. . . This one has a couple of different spins on the same tired themes: they seem to be hard workers, the kids seem to at least be fed, the parents seem soft-spoken and genuinely kind.  I guess that's it.

Obvious concerns:

1) Six kids living in a "cabin" the size of a closet

2) Kids and family are VERY isolated / no social outlets - well of course they are homeschooled with the primary text being the Bible

3) Not seeing a lot of real medicine or at least routine medical / dental care (six kids - stuff happens); lots of herbs, though!

4) Parents were called to homestead or some-such.

5) They live in the Missouri Ozarks and the kids seem to always be barefoot outside (it gets cold!) even when around tools and when walking in a "wood-shop" like place with nails and such strewn about.

6) Their animals do not look the healthiest to me. I'm not an expert in this area but I did grow up on a farm. I especially feel sorry for the dogs and cat. They seem to be experimenting with the livestock as they go.

7) The oldest boy never smiles.

Mom never stops working. Six kids including one that's nursing, homeschooling, must heat all the water, sometimes no running water, managing a garden to feed family of 8, etc. 

9) Hey, they're debt-free!

10) Two of their kids have alopecia; just thought I'd mention it so you'd know they don't have anything worse.

To check them out in You Tube where I found them search under 1000s of Roots and then someone please tell me why I can't quit this family.

18 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Here is their blog:

https://1000sofroots.wordpress.com

Youtube channel:

Thank you @Coconut Flan for the blog link. It really shows how much they rely on the "kindness of strangers" (read: beg) for financial love offerings. I'm glad I have an avenue to follow them a bit without supporting their YouTube channel. If you do watch some videos they often thank those who have sent the kids clothes, toys, etc. or people who have sent seeds or other supplies. Debt-free my ass; this is another family who pan handles - though in a less obvious manner than say, your typical Jill Rod.

• I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Thank you @Coconut Flan for the blog link. It really shows how much they rely on the "kindness of strangers" (read: beg) for financial love offerings. I'm glad I have an avenue to follow them a bit without supporting their YouTube channel. If you do watch some videos they often thank those who have sent the kids clothes, toys, etc. or people who have sent seeds or other supplies. Debt-free my ass; this is another family who pan handles - though in a less obvious manner than say, your typical Jill Rod.

if you use an adblock extension to your internet (for example in google chrome you can use ublock )you can watch all youtube videos without seeing any ads and in consecuence you are not giving them any money. Thats what i do anyway, but with all y utubers really nothing against them just because i find ads annoying in general.

Edited by llucie
to clarify
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

This is the Smyth family, right? I think they already have a thread.

That's them! So sorry for the duplication - many thanks @NachosFlandersStyle

Thanks for the merging! 

@JemimaPuddle-Duck are you able to say anything about the oldest boy. I've watched many of the vids (not all) and I've never seen him smile. While it's true that I wouldn't be smiling if I were in his situation, I find myself worried/wondering.

Both of my parents grew-up incredibly poor on farms during the 20s and 30s including the great depression years. My father was one of 10 children; nine made it to adulthood. He took longer to graduate from high school because he had to leave school for months at a time to help on the farm (oldest son). Both families used outhouses and kerosene lamps. Both families suffered from terrible illnesses that (at times) leveled the entire family for weeks and had lasting effects on health. This era in US history is what the Smyths remind me of.

Neither of my parents EVER spoke fondly of their childhoods - just of the hard work and poor health.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Thanks for the merging! 

@JemimaPuddle-Duck are you able to say anything about the oldest boy. I've watched many of the vids (not all) and I've never seen him smile. While it's true that I wouldn't be smiling if I were in his situation, I find myself worried/wondering.

Both of my parents grew-up incredibly poor on farms during the 20s and 30s including the great depression years. My father was one of 10 children; nine made it to adulthood. He took longer to graduate from high school because he had to leave school for months at a time to help on the farm (oldest son). Both families used outhouses and kerosene lamps. Both families suffered from terrible illnesses that (at times) leveled the entire family for weeks and had lasting effects on health. This era in US history is what the Smyths remind me of.

Neither of my parents EVER spoke fondly of their childhoods - just of the hard work and poor health.

My grandmother grew up one of 8 in the  Missouri Ozarks, She used to tells stories of sleeping on corncob mattress, dirt floors, and cooking on a wood fireplace.  Her first year of marriage they lived off of potatoes and watery flower gravy.  She would shake her head at people living that way on purpose.  I may live off grid but we have a super nice 5th wheel with stainless steal appliances, wood floors, heat and and AC.  It was a repo that was bought at auction. We put a sleep number in the bedroom and its nicer then our city apartment.  

I worry for the oldest boy as well, he seams so... withdrawn.  Boy #2 seams to be on board and a hard worker.  The parents are great grifters, so at least they have some nice things coming in. 

Edited by LovelyLuna
adding a thoght
  • Upvote 5