IGNORED

The Smyth Family Homesteaders

EowynW

Lucy Worsley ( British historian ) did a 4 part tv series called If Walls Could Talk. It shows the evolution of the bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and living room from medieval times to modern day. I loved it and it does highlight how communal living slowly changed to the private lives most of us live now.

• Upvote 18

On 10/4/2018 at 3:28 AM, TuringMachine said:

Also are they doing anything to prevent pregnancies? Is there going to be another baby to fit into that tiny loft?

I still can't get over how at one point the Duggar girls dorm had 9 people and 4 beds.

At the end of the Q & A video someone asked if they were going to have another baby.  Kip stares aggressively into the camera.  She eventually points to the sky and says that it is up to "Our Heavenly Father."  OK then.  Sounds QF to me -  if she meant it literally, that is.

As far as the cramped living quarters go - of course you can cram people into tiny living spaces, have children share beds, and still manage to have sex.  People have lived like that for centuries and many still do.  As others have said, privacy is a very modern concept and a very developed world concept too.  So is basic sanitation.  

Of course the downside of those cramped quarters (and Naugler-like lack of attention to sewage) is transmission of disease.   Especially coughs and colds that can turn into acute respiratory infections, and gastric problems.  Cholera, typhus and typhoid are very rare in the US today but still lurking.  And, unless the kids are vaccinated, meningitis, measles, pertussis ...

On 10/7/2018 at 12:11 PM, OGEmoji said:

I didn't watch anything after I saw the bankruptcy video, so I don't know the latrst on them. Kip in particular rubs me the wrong way, and I choose not to support them. I will not watch their videos, knowing the vlog is monetized.  They edit and make it look cute and idyllic for the camera, but that kind of lifestyle is not easy or fun, and I wouldn't want the kids to have to live like that . Recall that the Naugs once looked like they had their stuff together too, until the cracks started showing.

He rubs me up the wrong way too.  This lot seem better at Homesteading than the Nauglers but that is a very low bar indeed.  

FTR, I don't have any problem with tiny house living, homesteading or homeschooling, if done well and not risking the children.  I find people who chose alternative lifestyles interesting.  However, I'm sorry, @JemimaPuddle-Duck, as you know them, which must make reading this thread difficult. 

But if the Smyths are going to go public and promote their unusual ideas, and monetise their youtube, then they are FJ fodder.  Just as the Nasty Nauglers, the Fighting Crawfords and audio-Bible Piping Millses are discussed here.  

Edited by Palimpsest
typos
  • Upvote 15

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

She eventually points to the sky and says that it is up to "Our Heavenly Father."  OK then.  Sounds QF to me -  if she meant it literally, that is.

With that tiny of a house this is going to be an issue. They don't have room for their current number of children as the kids grow. Right now some of them are sleeping in small beds that won't fit them for much longer. 

But I have a feeling Kip will find another hobby to pursue before that happens. He doesn't seem to stick to things for too long. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Just as the Nasty Nauglers, the Fighting Crawfords and audio-Bible Piping Millses are discussed here. 

omg love the nicknames! can Lori be Loudmouth Lori? and Jill be Jiffin' Jazzhand Jilly? :D

• Upvote 6

Ok so the "homesteaders" we seem to follow on FJ are an interesting lot and the 2 that I follow (this family & Nogs) both seem to have started homesteading because of financial reasons. What I don't get is why not plan better? Meaning, ok so now the dream is to homestead, which in my mind means farm animals, equipment (chainsaws, fishing poles, guns, rototiller, possible ATV or tractor, etc), so why wouldn't they build a garage/house? Part of the garage would be shelter for the animals, the other part shelter for the equipment and workshop out of the elements. For example, for the Smythe family this would make (more) sense (This plan has a deck, which could be eliminated to save cost):

Plan from http://222.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=chp-38747

2020278003_garageplan38747.jpg.eda8dbf83c48861e56de29f1fa7d9b39.jpg

Now I would modify the 2 bedrooms and take out the master bath & w/d area and split that area into 2 bedrooms for the kids. The split bedroom would be the parents and the baby. (See my mocked up idea- note I just read the fine print the 44' length does not include the covered deck, in my writing I said it does- oops)

Spoiler

201296062_mockedupgarage.thumb.jpg.cd75f644f16cd65f90e1cd52f753bd16.jpg

Yes, the parents sleeping area is very small. They are the adults, they are choosing to have a lot of children and choosing to live small and are only 2 people, they can have a small bedroom area. The kids should be able to have some space and their own bed. (BTW - 1320 sq ft only equals out to 165 sq ft per person for the Smyth family)

So if a person really wanted to plan on being a homesteader why wouldn't they start with a structure that gives them shelter and shelter for equipment and some animals? I just don't get it. BTW - I would not want to live above farm animals :tw_mask: but I would if it meant a cost savings while trying to build my farm and keep my livestock safe.

• Upvote 20

51 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

What I don't get is why not plan better?

These people seem to be John Shrader types who aren't really into planning. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

11 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Note to self, hit up @quiversR4hunting if I ever want to start homesteading.

just as long as I don't have to do the homesteading! I grew up on a farm and I like farm life - as in a home with real bathrooms (plural), well, septic, electricity, big propane tank for heat & hot water, etc. Farm with full real equipment (tractors, grain bins, dryer, combine, no-till planter, snow plow, etc).

So if you want off-grid - I have ideas but no way in hell I am going off grid! As established on a very early Naugler thread, I am a toilet snob. I like real flushing toilets and expect more than 2 in my house. I will use other types of toilets camping and during races (I run road races), etc but for everyday in my home- I am a toilet snob. And proud of it!

As for the home plan- I love houses. I should have been an architect.

Edited by quiversR4hunting
forgot to mention what the farm needs
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I will use other types of toilets camping and during races (I run road races)

Road races -which:  cars, motorcycles or bicycles?

19 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

just as long as I don't have to do the homesteading! I grew up on a farm and I like farm life - as in a home with real bathrooms (plural), well, septic, electricity, big propane tank for heat & hot water, etc. Farm with full real equipment (tractors, grain bins, dryer, combine, no-till planter, snow plow, etc).

So if you want off-grid - I have ideas but no way in hell I am going off grid! As established on a very early Naugler thread, I am a toilet snob. I like real flushing toilets and expect more than 2 in my house. I will use other types of toilets camping and during races (I run road races), etc but for everyday in my home- I am a toilet snob. And proud of it!

As for the home plan- I love houses. I should have been an architect.

I’m like you. I need two flushing toilets in my home. I don’t even care if one of the toilets is a random basement toilet (those are a thing in old houses). As long as there is an extra toilet for pooping emergencies. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

26 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I plan on staying on the grid, don't worry. I too am a toilet snob. I grew up in suburbia and I long for more space, but realistically I am in no way equipped for farm life.  I do hope I end up somewhere a little more country than were I grew up though.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Road races -which:  cars, motorcycles or bicycles?

?‍♀️ feet ... 5k and 10k. Road races versus mud runs or trail runs 

• Upvote 6

For those of you talking about homesteading and off-grid living, I'm linking to what was probably one of the most awesome threads I ever read on the internet from a couple who documented the whole process of building their berm house on a gorgeous property in Tennessee: http://www.city-data.com/forum/tennessee/359683-going-off-grid-east-tennessee-story-6.html  

I could read that thread for hours!

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

here is the documentary on the bedroom part.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK6mwqw0FqQ   We are extremely lucky in our day in age having whole bedrooms to ourselves.  I’m hoping they build on an extension as the kids grow. 

12 hours ago, Botkinetti said:

Lucy Worsley ( British historian ) did a 4 part tv series called If Walls Could Talk. It shows the evolution of the bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and living room from medieval times to modern day. I loved it and it does highlight how communal living slowly changed to the private lives most of us live now.

To be honest, I like our composting toilet.  The thought of flushing clean water down the drain is now unpleasant.  Ours is a separating unit and the Mr. and I both agree that dealing with urine is more unpleasant then the poo.  Either way, I am a tree hugging hippy, I have been doodling straw bale houses since I was 11.   I understand I am different.  I also only have a Facebook page for friends a family, I’m not putting that shit (literally) out there for random people.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 7

7 hours ago, LovelyLuna said:

Either way, I am a tree hugging hippy, I have been doodling straw bale houses since I was 11. 

I hope you're able to get back to your homestead soon! :my_heart:

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

10 hours ago, LovelyLuna said:

Either way, I am a tree hugging hippy,

When starting our FJ cult commune we are really going to have to have a section for folks like us! I'm into things like eating weeds and turning acorns into flour. I would be perfectly happy going off grid in a small cabin out in the middle of no where. Due to things in life this isn't ever going to be possible, but we do have a small house(just an old, small house, not a tiny house) in the middle of the woods and we are considering solar power in the near future. 

The impression I get from the Smyths is that things in Alaska were failing, then needed something new to do and this is what they latched onto. They haven't seemed to have thought this out long term. I cannot even fathom living in that house with that much stuff. It looks like a fire hazard to me. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 7

Didn't she say they were adding on to the house? I think it was in the moms day video. As the littles grow, there will definitely need to have more room. 

I couldn't do it, I am already claustrophobic!

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

When starting our FJ cult commune we are really going to have to have a section for folks like us! I'm into things like eating weeds and turning acorns into flour. I would be perfectly happy going off grid in a small cabin out in the middle of no where. Due to things in life this isn't ever going to be possible, but we do have a small house(just an old, small house, not a tiny house) in the middle of the woods and we are considering solar power in the near future. 

The impression I get from the Smyths is that things in Alaska were failing, then needed something new to do and this is what they latched onto. They haven't seemed to have thought this out long term. I cannot even fathom living in that house with that much stuff. It looks like a fire hazard to me. 

I'll join! We are hippie homestead minded here. :D 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Nomorethanfour said:

Didn't she say they were adding on to the house? I think it was in the moms day video. As the littles grow, there will definitely need to have more room. 

Yes - but IIRC I think the extension is intended mostly as utility space (shop, laundry, etc), rather than additional sleeping space. But at least that will relieve some of the pressure on the space downstairs!

• Upvote 4

On 10/1/2018 at 9:43 PM, formergothardite said:

How weird is it that I looked at their channel a couple weeks ago. I love looking at tiny houses, living off grid and stuff like that. 

I was turned off at the homeschool video where they are just thrilled at the total lack of regulations when it comes to homeschooling in their state. Apparently one of the one things they looked for when it came to finding a place to live was making sure they didn't have any sort of homeschool regulations. Wanting no homeschool regulations is always a red flag for me.  The Bible being the most important homeschooling text was also a red flag. Not wanting to risk their children being around a bad child who might encourage them to do something wrong was another reason they homeschool. They put in a weird part with a older son having to spout about him being his brother's keeper. The child was clearly uncomfortable and it was Jill Rod like. One of the reasons they homeschool is so their children can learn to be polite to adults? You can teach that outside school hours. Also so they can learn to take care of their younger siblings. They mentioned something about learning life skills, again, things that can be taught outside of school hours. They said something about how they homeschool to teach time management, which, again, is something you can teach outside of school hours and something you learn in school. My oldest is in middle school now and learning to manage her time wisely has been important. They also said they homeschool to teach problem solving, again something taught in school and can be taught outside of school hours. 

So it basically seems like they homeschool because they like the Bible to be the main part of their curriculum and don't want their kids to interact with the worldly children. 

I don't have kids, but if I did, I often thought I would choose to secular homeschool.  My main reason is because I was bullied terribly in middle and highschool.  So much so, that I actually became an exchange student for one year just to get the fuck out for a little while.  I would not want to risk a child of mine being put through what I went through.  I am an atheist so it would definitely be secular.  This is all moot anyway since I won't be having kids (my choice) but I think secular homeschooling is a great thing for those who want it.

• Love 7

Fellow child-free atheist here who also thinks secular homeschooling could be a wonderful option. I remember a 20/20 special on atheist student athletes being bullied because they didn't wamt to participate in pre-game prayer. It broke my heart. 

Edited by Pecansforeveryone
Spelling
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 4

2 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Fellow child-free atheist here who also thinks secular homeschooling could be a wonderful option. I remember a 20/20 special on atheist student athletes being bullied because they didn't wamt to participate in pre-game prayer. It broke my heart. 

Friend!  :hug:  ? . I have a sister in-law who is mainstream catholic, though she is not a regular service attender.  She is anti-choice unfortunately, but not anti-gay.  Anyway, when she and my brother had their first child, when the nephew was a couple years old I casually (probably too casually, lol) brought up the topic of homeschooling, to test those waters.  Yeah, it was a no-go.  She mentioned the usual claptrap about no socialization, etc.  I want to keep the family peace with her as I dont want to endanger my access to my niece and nephew, so I didn't challenge her much on it.  It was disappointing though, but not surprising.  She was the super popular "it" girl in her highschool, so i'm sure she assumes her kids will have the same experience she did.  Which I am really hoping they do.  

About the pre-game prayer thing....ugh....that really grinds my gears.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, Nomorethanfour said:

We are secular homeschoolers and LOVE it! My kids socialize more as homeschoolers than they did in school!

Secular homeschooler here too! I'm spiritual, but it's not part of the curriculum, lol. As far as socialization...everybody has different needs, it seems. I certainly don't try to keep my kids locked down in the house all the time! Last week was modeling club, Home Depot craft day, firefighter/public safety event, visit from their friends, time with grandparents, etc. 

I know some weird, awkward homeschoolers that were way too sheltered. It does happen, but I also know quite a few previously-homeschooled people of my generation who are well-spoken, well-educated, and living pretty normal lives. :) 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Secular homeschooler here too! I'm spiritual, but it's not part of the curriculum, lol. As far as socialization...everybody has different needs, it seems. I certainly don't try to keep my kids locked down in the house all the time! Last week was modeling club, Home Depot craft day, firefighter/public safety event, visit from their friends, time with grandparents, etc. 

I know some weird, awkward homeschoolers that were way too sheltered. It does happen, but I also know quite a few previously-homeschooled people of my generation who are well-spoken, well-educated, and living pretty normal lives. :) 

When I think about how good secular homeschooling would have been for me (along with some socializing things that suited my interests) I almost want to cry.  But to be fair to my parents they both had to work full time, so I don't know how they could have done it even if they had been willing to.  This was in the 90s, so even online work wasn't a thing yet I think. I agree Lisafer, it definitely depends on the needs of the kid, as to how well they respond to it. As I mentioned in a previous post, my sister-in-law had the opposite experience to me at her public school.  But if you are a sensitive introvert, like I was, I think other middle and highschoolers smell blood in the water.  The only other small consolation I have is that this was also prior to everyone having social media and smart phones.   GOOD LORD.....I can only imagine what I would have endured if those things had been around then.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5