IGNORED

Safe at Home 4: Where the thread names change, but the Arndts stay the same

HerNameIsBuffy

I think that's what makes the Arndts weirder then the Maxwells. We know the Maxwells are sheltered, the Arndts have friends. They at least dip their toes in the real world from time to time, and yet, they are all still safe at home.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

And here I was, expecting an Arndt update of some sorts.   Bah, humbug.

Me too.   Don’t make me start posting my own penguin pics to fill the void.

like this.

B40C7411-45AD-4C9C-9BC7-5B4B0A230AE5.jpeg

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3
  • Love 4

13 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Nah.  I think Rick's just tired of people asking about the status of his now geriatric offspring. 

I think this is probably true.    And maybe he is also tired of the responses he gets when he gives them an answer. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

I think this is probably true.    And maybe he is also tired of the responses he gets when he gives them an answer. 

"Thank you for your question!  Paul is waiting on "God's best".  We fully expect her to arrive sometime very soon!"

"Er, does she have directions and how is she getting there?  Car, bus, boat or Penguin Express? 

img_9212.jpg?w=634&h=379

Edited by JenniferJuniper
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 16
  • Love 1

We saw a news report this morning about a zoo, I'm not sure where, that lets their penguins out and shepherds them around the zoo on the first day with snow.  Maybe other snowy days as well, but at least the first one.  It was cute and they seemed to be enjoying it.  But I kept expecting an Arndt manboy to show up!

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

On 12/6/2018 at 7:56 PM, Briefly said:

We saw a news report this morning about a zoo, I'm not sure where, that lets their penguins out and shepherds them around the zoo on the first day with snow.  Maybe other snowy days as well, but at least the first one.  It was cute and they seemed to be enjoying it.  But I kept expecting an Arndt manboy to show up!

They wouldn't understand the concept of being "let out".

• Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

For a brief moment, I got excited at the prospect of seeing this profile picture on Luke’s Facebook. Then when I clicked to enlarge, I realized it was Mary-Elizabeth. :confused: I get that you’re close with your sister and that’s awesome, but I don’t think I know of anyone else who takes these kind of photos with their sibling. At least this time there’s no bizarre caption to go along with it.

681D89BD-0DF6-4D5A-80EA-5C269C6438ED.jpeg

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Suz8710 said:

For a brief moment, I got excited at the prospect of seeing this profile picture on Luke’s Facebook. Then when I clicked to enlarge, I realized it was Mary-Elizabeth. :confused: I get that you’re close with your sister and that’s awesome, but I don’t think I know of anyone else who takes these kind of photos with their sibling. At least this time there’s no bizarre caption to go along with it.

681D89BD-0DF6-4D5A-80EA-5C269C6438ED.jpeg

I swear they aren’t the only fundies that do this. I’ve seen Bates opposite sex siblings pose for pictures that would make outsiders think they are a couple. I’ve also seen it from the Bontragers and a few other families. 

• Upvote 4

On 12/6/2018 at 7:56 PM, Briefly said:

Th Pittsburgh Aviary does this each year. They call it the penguin parade and it's so cute to see. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

@JermajestyDuggar At least people from those families date & marry. It just seems so sad with these Arndt boys. I know in the past here it’s been discussed about Cathy’s influence, but I’m starting to wonder if Mary doesn’t have some sort of influence/hold on the guys as well (unintentionally).

Can any woman ever measure up to momma and little sis?

• Upvote 5

Okay new fantasy...after the last of their parents died, all of the Arndt offspring get married in one huge massive wedding reminiscent of the Moonies weddings in the late 60s and early 70s!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

*pops in to see if something is happening in the Arndternate Universe*  *leaves, weeping*

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

*pops in to see if something is happening in the Arndternate Universe*  *leaves, weeping*

We've all been there, my dear!  An Arndt thread updates, hope rises......then......nothing.  It's almost an fj rite of passage.  *comforting hug*  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Re: Luke's tight hug

If my sister were the only person I would ever be allowed to hug, I'd probably hug like that too.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

Re: Luke's tight hug

If my sister were the only person I would ever be allowed to hug, I'd probably hug like that too.

I agree. I’ve thought about this and I think that since fundies are so restricted in physical contact and even friendships, they place all their physical affection on their siblings. And we see it as odd because we have many more outlets for affection. 

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I agree. I’ve thought about this and I think that since fundies are so restricted in physical contact and even friendships, they place all their physical affection on their siblings. And we see it as odd because we have many more outlets for affection.  

Idk.  im at least as restricted in my lack of physical contact and I don't do that when I see my siblings or kids.

eta they look so much like Rick.  Very good looking family.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Idk.  im at least as restricted in my lack of physical contact and I don't do that when I see my siblings or kids.

eta they look so much like Rick.  Very good looking family.

You grew up like the fundies with limited physical contact outside your family?

• Upvote 4

I don't know why I checked in on this thread. I always just end up totally weirded out. I don't get it. I just don't get it. I'd be the first to say that it's not weird at all for one, two, three adult kids to not be married or in relationships. BUT ALL OF THEM? I just counted, and six of them are 30+. All of them are adults except the youngest one. Something seriously weird is going on when you've got 13 adults still living at home and none of them have seemingly even been in a relationship, ever. They're all cute guys, too. Something seriously weird is going on there.

I know I'm just stating the obvious and preaching to the choir, but yeah. WTF, Arndts. What have their parents done to them?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I know I'm just stating the obvious and preaching to the choir, but yeah. WTF, Arndts. What have their parents done to them?

I keep coming back to the same theory: Rick speaks for God and God has told him the entire family must remain under one roof and celibate. Sort of a single-family monastary.

Discarded theories, free for the taking:

• Rick has convinced them that he can no longer work because of some vague, unspecified ailment, and they have to support the family (Doesn't work because that wouldn't keep them from marrying and moving out. 13 people with decent incomes could support their own families as well as Rick and Cathy and the minor children.)
  • They all carry a dominant gene for some horrible, potentially debilitating disease and they have decided it's best to never marry. (Doesn't work because it's statistically unlikely and Rick and Cathy seem to be perfectly healthy, so they could still enjoy a reasonably long life with a partner and adopt if they don't want to procreate, although in Rick's World that would probably require celibacy)
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On 12/13/2018 at 5:11 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I swear they aren’t the only fundies that do this. I’ve seen Bates opposite sex siblings pose for pictures that would make outsiders think they are a couple. I’ve also seen it from the Bontragers and a few other families. 

Yup, it's definitely not just the Arndts. The Botkins especially used to be pros at the the faux-couple poses. It was almost sad to watch as the older sons got married off one by one, until AS & E were stuck at the back of family photos with their two significantly younger brothers.

Some of the Phillips kids seem fond of the "hanging on your brother's arm like he's a boyfriend" thing as well.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You grew up like the fundies with limited physical contact outside your family?

No, I didn’t grow up that way.

Trust me, the bicycle was used and the gum chewed long before my wedding day.  :) 

But that is my life now and with a couple of very brief exceptions has been for many years.  I have no physical contact with anyone outside family hugs now and again.  

Its not the same, obviously, as non- familial physical contact was a major part of my life for a long time so it’s not apocryphal for me the way it would feel as if I never experienced it.

just saying lack of physical contact doesn’t make me want prooonged hugs with family just to make up for being touch starved or whatever the psychologists call it.  

Bad example, I shouldn’t have mentioned it.

• Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

19 hours ago, Lisafer said:

You have a lot of company.... sniff.

• Upvote 6

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic