IGNORED

Safe at Home 4: Where the thread names change, but the Arndts stay the same

HerNameIsBuffy

Sounds like they're running a contemplative order of nuns, praying for everyone's needs all day. 

The situation keeps getting more and more bizarre... They still refuse to address the fact that everyone is home. I wouldn't be surprised if Rick got a sort of vision or calling from God. Perhaps God gave his family a mission to stick together and pray for others or something, and the kids can't question God's (Dad's) word. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Sounds like they're running a contemplative order of nuns, praying for everyone's needs all day. 

Exactly what I thought when I read "27 messenger prayer rooms".  27 prayer rooms?   WTF?  I understand praying for different needs but 27?  

We know the manboys aren't working all the time and Rick is doing his own form of navel gazing when not working on his eternal project aka Vine Valley but seriously, this tells me that the manboys are probably kept busy with these online prayer rooms.   Rather than living their own lives.   Rather than running out of the house screaming "no more penguins!  No more Vine Valley!  No more doing whatever crazy Dad dreams up!  I am outta here!  I am moving to exotic St. Louis!" *

Probably the only ones not involved are Cathy and Wizzy because they are busy keeping the household going while all this praying is going on.  

* They should move a lot further than St. Louis, but anywhere out of the house is better I guess. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

On 1/5/2019 at 9:41 PM, Tatar-tot said:

Thank God the man boys are all safe at home Saturdsy night tucker into bed.  I hope Mommy read them a good bedtime story.  Do you thing she read Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel or Make Way for the Ducklings?

I'm pretty sure it's Make Way for the Ducklings.  Don't they watch the ducks on the pond by the house? 

This  led to some thread drift about awhile back about the weirdness of duck penises, IIRC.  Or maybe that was related to the World Renowned Duck Biologist Botkin. 

• Haha 4

I just realized that I accidentally quoted a TOU violation in my response on the last page. My apologies, mods, for making you clean up a second post. Sorry!

Some of those responses from the Famteam are indeed odd. And the post about "you could wear something similar to what you are wearing in your Facebook photo" is rather creepy, IMO.

As to the hours-long Vine Valley, well...maybe there's a lot of pumpkins to polish.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Some of those responses from the Famteam are indeed odd. And the post about "you could wear something similar to what you are wearing in your Facebook photo" is rather creepy, IMO.

I'm willing to bet that was a manboy.

And yeah, it's very creepy.  The whole interchange was.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

On 1/5/2019 at 7:41 PM, Tatar-tot said:

Thank God the man boys are all safe at home Saturdsy night tucker into bed.  I hope Mommy read them a good bedtime story.  Do you thing she read Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel or Make Way for the Ducklings?

Well, we know it's definitely not And Tango Makes Three.

• Haha 3

I hadn't seen the Arndt episode.  Rick and Kathy say all the right things about their children moving on in their lives, so how is it that 12+ years down the line the only thing that's changed is the number of children old enough for the softball team?

• Upvote 6

23 hours ago, Syriana said:

I hadn't seen the Arndt episode.  Rick and Kathy say all the right things about their children moving on in their lives, so how is it that 12+ years down the line the only thing that's changed is the number of children old enough for the softball team?

It was indeed filmed in the fall of '06.  Back then, maybe they did think some of the sons would find mates in the near future?

Luke, always the most transparent member of the family, said something like "I know it looks weird that so many of us are still at home".  Yes, it did look weird, Luke.  How do you think it looks twelve years later?  What's twelve years past "weird" look like?

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

It was indeed filmed in the fall of '06.  Back then, maybe they did think some of the sons would find mates in the near future?

Luke, always the most transparent member of the family, said something like "I know it looks weird that so many of us are still at home".  Yes, it did look weird, Luke.  How do you think it looks twelve years later?  What's twelve years past "weird" look like?

To the bolded:  Creepy AF!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

10 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Yes, it did look weird, Luke.  How do you think it looks twelve years later?  What's twelve years past "weird" look like?

Institutionalised?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

What's twelve years past "weird" look like?

Interesting that 12 years ago, one of them acknowledged that it looked weird.     Apparently knowing this was not enough of a catalyst to eventually realize that his family situation wasn't normal and if he wanted a life for himself, it was up to him to go after it, never mind how his family reacted to it.

Whatever voodoo Rick and Cathy have wrought, that it's strong enough to keep healthy young adults at home, to the detriment of whatever hopes and goals they have for their lives, is truly remarkable.   It's also pretty unhealthy regardless of how "nice" and "loving" and "secure" it seems. 

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Upvote 8

10 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Whatever voodoo Rick and Cathy have wrought, that it's strong enough to keep healthy young adults at home, to the detriment of whatever hopes and goals they have for their lives, is truly remarkable.   It's also pretty unhealthy regardless of how "nice" and "loving" and "secure" it seems. 

I thought it was also interesting how they made it sound as though the older sons "chose" court reporting out of the all the professions in the world.  Even a casual observer back then may have said, hmmm, that's a strange coincidence, all of them wanting to do the same dull (sorry, any court reporters out there)  job their father did.  I understand Rick's explanation for going into it - it did give him flexibility with so many young kids.

The manboys, however, had no need for such flexibility.  Mom and Dad told them what they wanted to do.   

• Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

The manboys, however, had no need for such flexibility.  Mom and Dad told them what they wanted to do.   

And because Daddy did it, it was considered an acceptable occupation as well.   But the idea that all of them (supposedly) wanting to do it because Daddy just doesn't ring true to me.   

I will point out one thing on the flexibility issue.   While they don't need the same flexibility as Rick did as a father with a large family, I suspect that they are required to have flexibility on doing Rick's pet projects like filming Vine Valley.   Because all of them seem to have time to go to (wherever they go to in NY) to film "stumbling in the snow" scenes.  It's all of them together every time.   Year after year, though I can't remember if they have gone recently.   With that many adults in the family, it would be more difficult for all of them to line up the same vacation time if they had other types of jobs. 

• Upvote 7

50 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

How many years have they worked on Vine Valley now? 

I think it was started around 2010.  2011 at the absolute latest.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I think it was started around 2010.  2011 at the absolute latest.

Thanks. 8-9 years is a long time to be working on this load of crap. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

Since 2011:

http://famteam.tv/wordpress/vine-valley-project

“During the winter of 2011, the family (or at least several members of it) began work on a third TV project, one that has ushered them into the exciting and yet-to-be-explored territory of fiction.

Bearing the tentative title of Vine Valley, the new series is set in the rugged beauty of western New York, and specifically the central Finger Lakes region (including Ontario and Yates Counties).”

“We envision the series (at present we are at work on the pilot program) to be a blend of drama, comedy, romance, action, and inspiration. In an effort to keep our website visitors apprised of our efforts, we have decided to present, on a weekly basis, segments of footage that have been culled from our filming sessions. 

These clips are being offered in a random fashion, without reference to any larger context or story line. (That’s a fancy way of saying that we don’t yet have an actual script!) In an effort to provide our visitors with some background or structure, we include a link to the yet-to-be-completed Winter on the Mountain manuscript, upon which the Vine Valley pilot episode has been loosely based.”

Alas, the link to Winter on the Mountain doesn’t work, and I can’t find it anywhere else...

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

During the winter of 2011, the family (or at least several members of it) began work on a third TV project, one that has ushered them into the exciting and yet-to-be-explored territory of fiction.

Does anyone know what their first two TV projects were and what became of them?

• Upvote 2

I found out today that if you wash pumpkins with a little bleach in the water they keep fresh for much longer.

i always figured they were baptizing the pumpkins because they’re weird and that’s what I want to think.  ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • Thank You 2

8 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

safe at home and rick's ministry series.

• Thank You 2

On 1/13/2019 at 1:28 AM, Black Aliss said:

They had a little show on cable TV somewhere.  You can find the episodes on YouTube.

Here's Rick talking about Vine Valley on their YouTube channel back in 2011 when he was imaging they'd have a weekly fiction show.  Drama, comedy, romance, action, adventure, inspiration.

Any day now, I'm sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 6

2 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

They had a little show on cable TV somewhere.  You can find the episodes on YouTube.

Here's Rick talking about Vine Valley on their YouTube channel back in 2011 when he was imaging they'd have a weekly fiction show.  Drama, comedy, romance, action, adventure, inspiration.

Any day now, I'm sure.

I believe the two previous shows were Safe at Home and a baseball show called Cardinals  Country. They also had a show  called Family Showcase where they went out and did profiles of businesses and interviewed the owners. At one time Rick had big delusions about building a large multifaceted ministry of book publishing, TV, movies, speaking engagements, retreats, conferences, etc. I guess he finally got it through his thick head that he was too boring and too weird to ever succeed with it and finally abandoned the whole thing because none of it ever got any traction.

Edited by Fallsview
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic