IGNORED

JinJer & Felicity 44: The Glossy Veneer is Slipping

Jellybean

1 hour ago, Markie said:

Are all ancestry DNA companies about the same, or are some more reliable than others?

You might want to look at the Youtube videos of FamilyHistoryFanatics.  They've got some videos on just that topic.  I'm watching the one on Ancestry's DNA test right now.  I'll post some more information later.

Here's one video that may be helpful:

I like the Family History Fanatics videos

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Markie They've all got their algorithm flaws. Think of this way, you wouldn't mail off of a blood sample and expect accurate results to what's going on with your body. They're fun and there's even versions for your pets to figure out what breed your dog is, but I'd not read more into it than I do Instagram.

That being said, if you're looking to find family members I think Ancestry has the biggest database of uploaded DNA and public records. 

I'm on Ancestry. They just updated my results. Before I was 92% Jewish and had trace elements of Southern Europe, Scandinavian, Asian, etc. and had no idea where any of those came from. They said they got 13,000 more samples and now I'm 100% Jewish. Bummed that I lost my trace elements but that makes much more sense. 

4 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

My Dad’s results say he has Neanderthal DNA. It makes me wonder how evangelical Christians explain the presence of Neanderthal DNA in the human genome. 

Some of them probably confuse Neanderthal with Netherland. :confusion-shrug:

Only 23 and Me will give Neanderthal results.

@justmy2cents,  I posted upthread about my revised results.  It changed all the low confidence and trace regions to Germany.  It gave me the option of using the new results or not, so I kept the old ones.  It's more interesting.  I already knew about some German ancestry but I'd like to know  if I have any North African or Turkish ancestry. Or Ashkenazi Jewish.  I think that would be really cool!

32 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

I'm on Ancestry. They just updated my results. Before I was 92% Jewish and had trace elements of Southern Europe, Scandinavian, Asian, etc. and had no idea where any of those came from. They said they got 13,000 more samples and now I'm 100% Jewish. Bummed that I lost my trace elements but that makes much more sense. 

I'm on 23andme.  It says I'm approximately 97% Ashkenazi (my people, apparently, did not get around), which is consistent with some other family members.  Don't know if 23andme is planning to get more samples and update.  I think I'd also be bummed if I lost my trace elements, few as they are.

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Yes, sadly a lot of people believe a lot of really awful things. The only truly shocking thing would be if one of the Duggars or Bates condemned in public the harmful beliefs that are so prevalent in most evangelical churches. I think it would be safe to assume that no matter how cute and modern they dress, most of the members of these families share the beliefs that only a few of them have actually made public. 

The American church is vulnerable to the "cult of personality" and "cult of celebrity" just like the rest of society. I am not pointing the fingers at church going FJers or incriminating all churches. A day of recockening on these crucial social issues is coming, even for seemingly more moderate churches. 

My Ancestry results were updated too. They got rid of their broad West Europe category and are using more specific locations now.

5 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

I just checked mine and they changed as well, They've found the German that we thought was there, and added 1% Native American, This fine tuning makes more sense. We've always said we were 3/4 German 1/4 a little of everything else.  Turned out we are 1/2 British 35% Germanic with bits of Spanish, Italian, Irish & Scottish thrown in for good measure.  

6 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

My Ancestry results were updated too. They got rid of their broad West Europe category and are using more specific locations now.

I wish they would do this more for sub-Saharan Africa. That Bantu region is waaaayy too broad considering all the genetic diversity in central/south Africa. 

I hope they get more samples. 

As well as more Asian and indigenous samples. 

I wish they would do this more for sub-Saharan Africa. That Bantu region is waaaayy too broad considering all the genetic diversity in central/south Africa. 
I hope they get more samples. 
As well as more Asian and indigenous samples. 
That would be wonderful [emoji7][emoji7] I heard stories years ago of people tracing their DNA back to their original tribal groups in Africa... And when visiting people assumed they were from there originally and would start speaking to them in the language!
This was before easy online DNA though so it may have been more tailored and based less on an algorithm.

13 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

The American church is vulnerable to the "cult of personality" and "cult of celebrity" just like the rest of society. I am not pointing the fingers at church going FJers or incriminating all churches. A day of recockening on these crucial social issues is coming, even for seemingly more moderate churches. 

ITA. Not all evangelical churches support the beliefs people are viewing with dismay in this thread, but a good chunk do and really one of the only ways for the churches to change is if people say that they will not participate in organizations that teach these things. Right now way too many people(not saying FJ members, just people in America in general) are still okay joining religious organizations that are anti-gay, anti-women and support subtle racism even if they personally don't support those ideas. 

Also, some DNA history can get lost through the years, doesn't mean you didn't have an ancestor that was French, even though you have no french DNA. The french DNA just didn't get passed down to you! BUt it's still in your family tree. Make sense?

I just logged on and saw my update! my scandinavian and Irish increased! yea! (which was more what I thought it should be)

I get confused with the family tree.My grandparents had two common ancestors.Also,one of our ancestors was a signer of the Declaration of Independence.but he did not have children,our line came from his brother.Collateral Line?

I have not been on Ancestry in awhile.They used to list the famous people you are descended from.It would start with me,then go up,to my Dad,then one of my grandparents all the way to the famous person.I know of the English,Irish,Scottish and then I've been told of French,as well.

I think it is interesting.

Someone in the previous thread said that Jinger is good with being an arm candy to Jeremy. I also think JInger seems to be so submissive at this point that I feel second hand embarrassment whenever I watch Counting On. She still seems like she could be Jeremy's little sister rather than his wife. He is 7 years her senior with a university degree so that's no wonder. I still do not understand why he picked Jinger? I fear he will get bored with her eventually.

12 minutes ago, melon said:

I get confused with the family tree.My grandparents had two common ancestors.Also,one of our ancestors was a signer of the Declaration of Independence.but he did not have children,our line came from his brother.Collateral Line?

I have not been on Ancestry in awhile.They used to list the famous people you are descended from.It would start with me,then go up,to my Dad,then one of my grandparents all the way to the famous person.I know of the English,Irish,Scottish and then I've been told of French,as well.

I think it is interesting.

My husband has a great great great (x8 or something) uncle that signed the declaration of independence too!  (William Whipple)

Edit: Second cousing 9x removed of my husband :)

Another fun fact for you DNA fiends, a lot of the testing is done on the sex chromosomes because that's where a lot of anomalies are carried for genetic counseling. What that means is some of the trace tags can only be passed through daughters (separate from mDNA) since it's carried only on the X chromosome and girls get one from each parent, while boys will only carry mama's.

17 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

He is 7 years her senior with a university degree so that's no wonder.

These two things don't bother me, plenty of couples have age gaps and education gaps. The starker difference to me is how they were raised, Jeremy was out and about in the world and at school, while Jinger was very sheltered. Besides Jill and Derick, most of the other couples have grown up in very similar fashions in regards to religion and home schooling. *Most, I don't know much about Abbie Grace's history.

22 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

I still do not understand why he picked Jinger? I fear he will get bored with her eventually.

Nah.

Jeremy is all about Jeremy. He benefits from having a wife with as little outward personality as possible. One with photography skills who chooses to exercise them by taking photos of him constantly is obviously a huge bonus. 

It's not like he married her so they could debate the second theory of relativity or the implications of global warming on rising water levels.

5 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

Someone in the previous thread said that Jinger is good with being an arm candy to Jeremy. I also think JInger seems to be so submissive at this point that I feel second hand embarrassment whenever I watch Counting On. She still seems like she could be Jeremy's little sister rather than his wife. He is 7 years her senior with a university degree so that's no wonder. I still do not understand why he picked Jinger? I fear he will get bored with her eventually.

Yeah, but I think this is what Jinger wants, a strong headship, at least it is what she was told she wants. Also look at what her siblings have, or don't have. 

Jill, I mean we all know she lost the husband lotto.

Joy, while well suited with Austin, will be living in house after house and probably an RV on and off for the foreseeable future, while doing hot sweaty back breaking work.  

Jessa while we think she's gotten the best of the husband deal so far, they are beholden to daddy dictator for their home and financial stability.

Josh, is unemployable, unbearable and just plain fucking gross.

Joe is Joe, sweet but dumb and dependent on daddy for everything.  

Josiah, while he has more ambition and a little more brain power than Joe, he's had the life beaten out of him to the point he doesn't seem to care that he's married he's just doing as he's told. 

So Jinger has a husband who lets her dress in pretty clothes, she doesn't have to work, she gets to travel, read books, she has her own house and all she has to do is look pretty and make dinner. She wins, at least some twisted fucked up world.  

On 9/21/2018 at 3:19 PM, BernRul said:

The cure to that is exposure. That's not me just being naive, it's fairly documented that meaningful exposure to people of other races "cures" racism so to speak.

This is no doubt true; it's how to encourage meaningful exposure that interests me because I'm not sure it's a given. The racists I mentioned above live in a suburb of Toronto that's 44% South Asian but for some reason they're not actually meeting or befriending their neighbours, I assume. (Similarly, fundy men are surrounded by fundy women and manage to maintain outdated stereotypes of what women are and are not. Perhaps because they're not encouraged to befriend people across gender lines.) We live in interesting times and I am very curious to see what the future will be like. Seems like the people who envision the future filled with AI and little work never talk to the people who envision catastrophic climate change, who never talk to the people who envision huge wealth gaps, who never talk to those rare few who think it's all going to be OK. I want a unified predictor of everything!

To add to what @karen77 just said,  your DNA analysis only goes back 124 ancestors.  I think that's 8 generations if I've calculated right.  It's not your earlier ancestors didn't contribute any of your DNA,  but 9 generations and more back it doesn't reliably show up.  IOW, one of your 9th gereration grandparents might have contributed DNA to you and another might not.  I think the video I posted above explains why.  (If not another one by Family History Fanatics does.)  

Here's one where Mayim Bialik finds out her 23 and Me results.  23 and Me apparently also tests on mitochondrial DNA which is passed down though the maternal line. Ancestry's DNA test no longer does.

Y'all, this racism discussion reminded me of a recent event. I had to explain to my (generic middle-aged white guy) dad why "African American" is a distinct and important identity, and why it was cool to be proud of that but not to be proud of being white. I may also be white, but I work in a museum that focuses on the history of slavery and racism in New England, so explaining this shit is literally. My. Job. At the end of my ten-minute lecture, he was just getting really annoyed and just told me he agreed with me to shut me up. Maybe I changed his mind. Maybe I didn't. But my personal preferred method of combating middle-aged-cis-het-white-man ignorance is with an overabundance of facts, information, and historical context. With sources. This doesn't work for everyone. Hell, people get annoyed with me a lot. But I have to try, yaknow?

Jeremy is a fake intellectual ass who is so in love with himself and his words he no longer makes sense.  I have never met a smart fundy and if you took away his religious books Baaaaaby would be illiterate.  These types will always be with us and they come in all colours.  They are all dangerous and they don’t care about anyone who doesn’t embrace their particular flavour of kool-aid.  They need to all just fuck off.  Can’t stand on their own two feet and live a good life without their religious  crutch and their own particular tribe to hold them up and tell them how special they all are.  How sad. And now they have the internet to spew their elitist vomit vast distances.  We are just so blessed..

Be careful Jeremy you are starting to do the “devil’s” work.  Wake up you ignorant piece of crap.

Are there any FJers here now who live in Laredo (if I missed something, sorry)? Because I'm thinking, knowing absolutely nothing about the place, that as a border town there might well be enough threatened-feeling, white nationalist Evangelicals to not only support the Jeremys of this world, but to convince him he is standing up for all that is right and good. And that to speak Spanish would be capitulation, to show kindness would be capitulation. For all I know he might be a hero to his "base."
Gotta admit Jinger does look in great in all the new clothes that she said her "more fashion conscious" husband picked out for her, though.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived