IGNORED

JinJer & Felicity 44: The Glossy Veneer is Slipping

Jellybean

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I watched the episode where Jeremy and Jinger got the ultrasound done and found out they were having a girl and I was just...shocked how truly excited/happy Jeremy looked. Like if I didn’t know fundamentalists in person and didn’t know he signed off on this bull I would probably like him. He looked genuinely happy to be having a girl/excited to be a dad. TLC is so slimy for not showing who these people really are and letting them keep this veneer of sensibility even after the Josh stuff should’ve stripped that away. 

6 minutes ago, Rik_Bik said:

So I watched the episode where Jeremy and Jinger got the ultrasound done and found out they were having a girl and I was just...shocked how truly excited/happy Jeremy looked. Like if I didn’t know fundamentalists in person and didn’t know he signed off on this bull I would probably like him. He looked genuinely happy to be having a girl/excited to be a dad. TLC is so slimy for not showing who these people really are and letting them keep this veneer of sensibility even after the Josh stuff should’ve stripped that away. 

It's so funny that you wrote that because I was beginning to type exactly the same thing, then felt like I wasn't expressing myself clearly and stopped.

I just can't get my head around how someone can be genuinely nice and loving towards some while at the same time subscribing to hateful, horrible beliefs that hurt others.

48 minutes ago, SweetJuly said:

I just can't get my head around how someone can be genuinely nice and loving towards some while at the same time subscribing to hateful, horrible beliefs that hurt others.

You just accurately described the internal conflict I’ve had with understanding my Trump-loving friends and relatives. 

Because it hasn’t impacted him directly.  Same with Derick.  It’s amazing how people’s minds change when faced with the consequences of their choices/beliefs.  There was a newspaper article a while back about a Trump supporter who couldn’t believe that her undocumented husband was facing deportation even though he had lived in the US for a long time, had established a business and raised a family.  Sometimes it takes a cold dose of reality for people to see past their cognitive dissonance. 

His ignorance is astounding. Those arguments... where do I begin?! I mean, each one can be so easily picked apart (the glaring inaccuracies! The presumption of other's motivation! The wilful blindness to his own and to other's experiences!) but, essentially, what strikes me is what a unintentionally hilarious cliche he is. It's just.... embarrassing. How is he not embarrassed by himself?!! 

As I have said before, it's easy to say that things don't exist and people are being whiny when it doesn't happen to you. The sad thing is that if (God forbid) something should happen and Felicity is sexually assaulted, will Jeremy change his mind? Will his mind contort and bend because it's his daughter? Or will she be forced to never think about it again and forgive her abuser (depending on who they are, if a POC, I imagine there would be a witch hunt) like Jinger did?

Fuck Jeremy, this hurts me as a human. Because we are all human and deserve the same treatment. Not whatever bullshit, he's slinging.

This is their death rattle and deep down they know it. The world's changing, and it's scary to them. In the era of Trump it can really seem like this kind of ugliness (racism, sexism, homophobia, etc) is getting worse but I honestly believe that they are being loud now because they know they are doomed. 30 years from now, schoolchildren will view them the same way I viewed the white Southerners who fought against the Civil Rights movement. They're going out kicking and screaming and taking as many good people down with them as they can, but they are going out. 
50% of children born in the U.S are minorities. 
By 2019, POC children will be the majority of all US children.
Between 2041-2046 the whole United States will be minority majoirty. 2043 is the estimate if immigration rates stay the same (2041 if they go up, 2046 if they go down). Trump and his anti immigration assholes can do whatever they want,but all they are doing is preventing the inevitable by three measly years. It's still happening.
As of 2010, 15% of all  new marriages are interracial. That's a sizeable minority, and it's been growing rapidly with each new census. 
TX is going to eventually become a blue state (or at least a deeply purple state) , and once it does, it will be impossible for Republicans to steal another election. I'm not saying it's going to happen soon, or in time for my baby angel Beto to beat out the Zodiac killer (I do have a feeling Beto will be more successful in 2020 on a broader scale, but who really knows at this point) . It will take years, probably decades, but it will happen in my lifetime for sure.
Alabama has a Democrat senator. I don't care that Roy Moore was a rapist--that's still unbelievable. 
Women have never been so bold. I'm still young, but I remember that things were very different a mere 10 years ago. Hell, they were different 5 years ago. The Women's March, the #MeToo movement, the historic number of women running for office in 2018 might not look like much on their own, but taken together they show that more women are willing to stand up for themselves and they aren't backing down. The gender gap between the parties is getting wider, too.
The LGBTQ community, while still facing plenty of discrimination, has also come a long way in a short time.  They have made themselves more visible to the public, and they aren't going away. 67% of Americans approve of gay marraige, and again, that' keeps going up with every year.
The last time a non-incumbent Republican candidate won the popular vote was in 1988. The last two presidents both lost it, because the majority of the country does not want them.
So Jeremy can bitch. Derrick can feel emboldened by Trump. They are a dying breed. They might be dying slowly, but make no mistake, they are dying. Deep down they are scared and insecure. They are use to privilege, so true equality feels like oppression. I don't even feel angry about Jeremy's post (though seriously, in case it isn't clear, fuck him) because it's just so pathetic. 
I don't mean for this to sound like I'm being complacent, either. I think complacency after Obama got us 2016. But if people (to use a term Jeremy loves) stay "woke" and keep fighting, the age of Trump will be over sooner rather than later. 
Thanks for this@bernrul. It uplifted me in a way.

2 hours ago, gilora said:

Because it hasn’t impacted him directly.  Same with Derick.  It’s amazing how people’s minds change when faced with the consequences of their choices/beliefs.  

It reminds me of Ruth Bader Ginsburg's thoughts on Roe v. Wade, which is basically that it should be obvious to everybody that rich women in America will never NOT have access to safe abortion. Those days are long gone - anyone with means will be able to find a reputable doctor, cross the border into Canada or another state, fly to Europe, etc. So what Roe v. Wade comes down to is what rights do we think that poor women America should have. That's what the fight is really about at its core. They'll be the ones dying by way of coat hanger. And this is what makes the issue appear so remote to soccer moms who live out in McMansions in the burbs. It's just not their reality.

15 hours ago, BernRul said:

This is their death rattle and deep down they know it. The world's changing, and it's scary to them. In the era of Trump it can really seem like this kind of ugliness (racism, sexism, homophobia, etc) is getting worse but I honestly believe that they are being loud now because they know they are doomed. 30 years from now, schoolchildren will view them the same way I viewed the white Southerners who fought against the Civil Rights movement. They're going out kicking and screaming and taking as many good people down with them as they can, but they are going out. 

A good friend of mine once said, about these people, "I hope that you live long enough to see your children ashamed of what you've done."

Jesus, is he normally this vocal on Twitter or is he really laying into the Social Justice topic particularly hard? I honestly expected him to sign the stupid statement and then be quiet. It's getting almost Derrickish to see him so vocally defend it, although I agree with posters above that he should just use his own damn words rather than hide behind retweets.

I'm just increasingly floored by the hypocrisy of the whole Statement on Social Justice and the Gospel crowd, although Jeremy is the only one of them I'm really following right now. I hope they never breathe a word about their Christian community facing persecution, although I'm certain they will.

Also, if God/prayer/Bible/faith is the answer to everything, what gives the Evangelicals with HIS perspective the particular right to claim that argument? Wouldn't that go both ways? Like, evangelicals who are pro-social-justice could tell Jeremy and his like to "just pray on it" or whatever too. Although, I suppose it arguably boils down to the question of how valid you think good "works" are, since that does seem pretty critical to being an evangelical who cares about social justice. Maybe not though... maybe it's just something you can compartmentalize separate from your religion, but that doesn't seem to be the argument I'm seeing.

Jeremy's (and the Duggars') brand of religion is just so slimy and manipulative. What's good for the men in charge is all that matters... if any other good happens as long as the Jeremys get theirs, then they'll flaunt the shit out of it, but they are in no way, shape, or form in this for others. Not even their own wives/kids/friends/congregants/etc.

Anyway, I'm rambling in a direction that I didn't expect, so I'll just leave it at SCREW YOU JEREMY. Shut up and read a book that actually challenges your own perspective, you navel-gazing little shit.

4 hours ago, JoiseyGoil said:

If Jeremy and Jinger do let Felicity go to college and have a career, will she turn out to be another Michelle Bachman or Sarah Huckabee? 

Well she isn’t going to be a Hilary Clinton or Kamala Harris ;) 

I most certainly can see Jeremy grooming all his children girls or boys to be Fundamentalist Spokespeople or politicians and they have to have the veneer of education to do that. He would undoubtedly love to be the “wise” patriarch of highly placed Influential   Conservative Political family the way JB tried to be but failed at.  

50% of children born in the U.S are minorities. 

By 2019, POC children will be the majority of all US children.

Between 2041-2046 the whole United States will be minority majoirty. 2043 is the estimate if immigration rates stay the same (2041 if they go up, 2046 if they go down). Trump and his anti immigration assholes can do whatever they want,but all they are doing is preventing the inevitable by three measly years. It's still happening.

As of 2010, 15% of all  new marriages are interracial. That's a sizeable minority, and it's been growing rapidly with each new census. 

TX is going to eventually become a blue state (or at least a deeply purple state) , and once it does, it will be impossible for Republicans to steal another election. I'm not saying it's going to happen soon, or in time for my baby angel Beto to beat out the Zodiac killer (I do have a feeling Beto will be more successful in 2020 on a broader scale, but who really knows at this point) . It will take years, probably decades, but it will happen in my lifetime for sure.

Alabama has a Democrat senator. I don't care that Roy Moore was a rapist--that's still unbelievable. 

Women have never been so bold. I'm still young, but I remember that things were very different a mere 10 years ago. Hell, they were different 5 years ago. The Women's March, the #MeToo movement, the historic number of women running for office in 2018 might not look like much on their own, but taken together they show that more women are willing to stand up for themselves and they aren't backing down. The gender gap between the parties is getting wider, too.

The LGBTQ community, while still facing plenty of discrimination, has also come a long way in a short time.  They have made themselves more visible to the public, and they aren't going away. 67% of Americans approve of gay marraige, and again, that' keeps going up with every year.

The last time a non-incumbent Republican candidate won the popular vote was in 1988. The last two presidents both lost it, because the majority of the country does not want them.

So Jeremy can bitch. Derrick can feel emboldened by Trump. They are a dying breed. They might be dying slowly, but make no mistake, they are dying. Deep down they are scared and insecure. They are use to privilege, so true equality feels like oppression. I don't even feel angry about Jeremy's post (though seriously, in case it isn't clear, fuck him) because it's just so pathetic. 

I don't mean for this to sound like I'm being complacent, either. I think complacency after Obama got us 2016. But if people (to use a term Jeremy loves) stay "woke" and keep fighting, the age of Trump will be over sooner rather than later. 

I'm not that optimistic, TBH, but I still have hope that this current hateful era we're in is only temporary.

It reminds me of Brandi Carlile's song "The Joke" which she wrote following the 2016 election in honor of all the people feeling marginalized and discouraged right now.

Between 2041-2046 the whole United States will be minority majoirty.

I would love to be optimistic about this, but it's not like all immigrants or kids of immigrants are uniformly anti-racist, feminist, pro-LGBT, or otherwise woke. (They may also be fiscally conservative and "put up" with the social conservatism that they're less interested in.) I think Trump et al. are not only trying to shore up the desperate white working class vote but also trying to divide and conquer people of colour. For example, a sizable minority of Hispanic voters went for Trump (29%). In my experience, many POC friends and relatives here in Ontario will vote for someone like Doug Ford (Ontario's Trump-lite) because (a) tax breaks, and (b) other minorities who are doing it wrong. My boyfriend's mixed-race South African relatives can be pretty racist against Middle Eastern and South Asian immigrants and refugees, for example.

Hari Kondabolu talks about this a little in his stand up special, Waiting for 2042:

Overall, though, I think we will win some social justice issues (trans bathroom rights etc.) BUT we are going through some last gasps of late state capitalism (in my and Thomas Piketty's opinions) and things are going to get really ugly from a class perspective, which of course will make racism, sexism, etc. worse. Factor in climate change (spending decreasing tax dollars on cleaning up after hurricanes, for example) and I'm not sure where we're headed but it doesn't look good. I am a medium-depressed environmental scientist and I hope we're wrong. The good news is, China and India take climate change pretty seriously. I hope they take wealth distribution seriously too but...?

6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

New reality show idea - “Woke Jesus!” It can follow Jesus as he returns to Earth and calls his followers who act like assholes out on all their bullshit.

(Psst! TLC! I’d pay such good money to see Jesus put Jeremy or any of the Duggars in their place.)

Jesus, if you're reading this: Please do the "Woke Jesus" show! 

@NakedKnees Since Jeremy is of the (pseudo)intellectual branch, he’s probably been diligently reading articles (that support his bias) and consulting Scripture (that supports his bias). 

I expect some kind of sermon or talk from him soon. 

Really Jeremy? You can use ‘malady’ in a sentence but can’t grasp the basic concept that people would like to live their lives without being policed, harassed, threatened, assaulted and killed for no other reason than they have more melanin in their skin? 

Also, huge side-eye to Darrell Harrison. Hun, we don’t ‘want heaven on earth’,  just for people not to be unnecessarily harmed. Like damn, can’t these fundies multi-task? He probably things MLK was a heretic...talk about an Uncle Ruckus.

Edited to say: Your skin folk ain’t always your kinfolk  

If you can stand it, go look at some of the words that "encouraged and edified" Jeremy on Darrell Harrison's twitter account. He seems extremely misogynistic, and has a lot to say about Kavanaugh.

He tweets a lot and I didn't go back very far, but this exchange was one of the more WTF ones to me. It's less him than the woman replying to him, but he still thinks she has a "good point."

bGfyC3Q.png?1

I also took a look at the tweets Jeremy liked.

That video is from someone who thinks that even "celibate gay Christianity" is bad.

And this is another anti-gay article:

"Saved out of homosexuality", my heart just shattered. People don't need to be saved out of homosexuality, they're perfect as they are.

I feel so sad for Jeremy and Jinger's little girl and future children.  If one of them is gay, how will the children cope?  Will they be sent off to Christian conversion camp?  Will they have to hide every feeling for the same sex until they are forced into marriage and continue to be unhappy? I won't say who, but I can think of a few kids in these mega-families (in my opinion) who seem to have tried to conform to heterosexuality through marriage.  They look unhappy or as if they are trying to convince themselves that the life they have chosen is the right and godly one.  It is a sad resignation.  I can't imagine what it would feel like to be a gay child of an evangelical Christian parent.  You would have the pain of knowing that your parents think you are sinful, deviant, godless, etc. if you come out.  My heart breaks for them.

2 minutes ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

I can't imagine what it would feel like to be a gay child of an evangelical Christian parent.  You would have the pain of knowing that your parents think you are sinful, deviant, godless, etc. if you come out. 

I can imagine, unfortunately, and my parents are nowhere near as extreme as the Duggars. I once asked my mom how she would react if she had a gay child and she refused to answer because "God wouldn't do that to [her]." It really hurts to know my parents, as much as they do love me and have been very supportive in other ways will never fully accept me.

I don't think I can phrase it more eloquently than those who already have, but...... fuck you Jeremy, you ignorant, racist, misogynist piece of shit. I hope you choke on the poisonous doctrine you spew. That is all. Good day, sir.

11 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I can imagine, unfortunately, and my parents are nowhere near as extreme as the Duggars. I once asked my mom how she would react if she had a gay child and she refused to answer because "God wouldn't do that to [her]." It really hurts to know my parents, as much as they do love me and have been very supportive in other ways will never fully accept me.

I am very sorry to hear this.  I wish I had some solid advice.  I hope you have others around you that fully accept you.

5 hours ago, gilora said:

Because it hasn’t impacted him directly.  Same with Derick.  It’s amazing how people’s minds change when faced with the consequences of their choices/beliefs.  There was a newspaper article a while back about a Trump supporter who couldn’t believe that her undocumented husband was facing deportation even though he had lived in the US for a long time, had established a business and raised a family.  Sometimes it takes a cold dose of reality for people to see past their cognitive dissonance. 

ITA, however I don't really care for people who can only feel sympathy for a situation once it has effected them personally. Get some empathy and stop being a selfish asshole.  It shouldn't take something negatively impacting you for you see how wrong you were / it was. 

I read about that stupid woman and I have no sympathy for her. She was just fine with other peoples husbands/wives/children/parents being deported, it was only when it hurt HER life that she said "oh wow this is wrong" FUCK HER!

6 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

ITA, however I don't really care for people who can only feel sympathy for a situation once it has effected them personally. Get some empathy and stop being a selfish asshole.  It shouldn't take something negatively impacting you for you see how wrong you were / it was. 

I read about that stupid woman and I have no sympathy for her. She was just fine with other peoples husbands/wives/children/parents being deported, it was only when it hurt HER life that she said "oh wow this is wrong" FUCK HER!

I'm so torn on this. True empathy is hard and rare and I'm happy when people grow. Its not okay if they still somehow think they are the only exception, but if that helps them grow, that's still good. Not as good, but it's something 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived