IGNORED

Counting On season 5/6/7 Part 3 - Weddings, Babies, and Denial

Georgiana
3 hours ago, Irishy said:

Jinger has turned out to be the most conservative and dull of all the older girls. She never belly laughs, teases Jeremy, or does anything relaxed. We never see her mess up, or poke fun at herself. I was mentally WILLING her to sit on the damn birth stool but knew she would never ever do such a thing on TV.

I don't think this has to do with her being conservative or dull so much as I think Jinger may have a different level of comfort with filming than her sisters.  

There can be a terrible cost to "standing out" in Fundie families.  When the Duggars first came on the air, Jinger definitely stood out to viewers in a way none of the other girls did.  But she stood out for reasons that fundies would consider "wrong" or unappealing.  I think there was definite pushback both from her parents and from her community, and I think that such pushback at such a tender age where she was still finding herself was likely hard for Jinger and made her view the cameras with some degree of suspicion.  She was just "spunky" until TLC came around.  She wasn't told to shut herself down like this before TLC came around.  Earlier episodes make it pretty clear that the family originally enjoyed Jinger's more "free spirit" and expressed individuality.  But when viewers started to respond with hopes for her that were not Duggar-approved, the borg moved to bring her in line with the family's image.  Jinger's free spirit and her freedom to express her unique individuality were some of the first casualties of the Duggar TV Mission.

I think that out of all the Duggar daughters, Jinger is actually the one most likely to have a pronounced NEGATIVE experience with filming.   It makes sense why Jinger may not feel comfortable being "natural" with the cameras.  It makes sense why she might view filming differently than her siblings and feel the need to be more "controlled" on camera.  

I have always gotten the feeling that given an actual, empowered choice in the matter, Jinger would likely choose to step away from the spotlight. But she married spotlight hog Jeremy, so that will never fully happen.  

• Upvote 36
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2
  • Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buzzard

• SapphireSlytherin

• Rachel333

• nst

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just got married two weeks ago and my (fabulous) dress had pockets--real ones. It was fantastic. I kept my vows in them during the ceremony and for the rest of the party I had my phone--not so much

In the post kiss TH, Josiah says the kiss is 'better than his hand'. I bet that's not the only time he said that on his wedding day. I'll show myself out. The editors of this show are gettin

1. I had always wondered about Kendra being a pre-wedding baby. I imagine having a legitimately premature honeymoon baby must be hard to explain sometimes. 2. Lutheran here, with many Catholic fr

Posted Images

Seeing those dress photos makes me think that Lauren has a good sense of personal style. She knows what works on her and she picked the dress that she liked. I'm very glad for her: I'm sure it wasn't easy with all those opinions in the room. I hope that good sense and ability to get what she wants carries through her marriage.  (Also, dress 5: that's SO similar to Jessa's! Why would anyone suggest that!)

• Upvote 6
Rachel333
4 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I don't think this has to do with her being conservative or dull so much as I think Jinger may have a different level of comfort with filming than her sisters.  

There can be a terrible cost to "standing out" in Fundie families.  When the Duggars first came on the air, Jinger definitely stood out to viewers in a way none of the other girls did.  But she stood out for reasons that fundies would consider "wrong" or unappealing.  I think there was definite pushback both from her parents and from her community, and I think that such pushback at such a tender age where she was still finding herself was likely hard for Jinger and made her view the cameras with some degree of suspicion.  She was just "spunky" until TLC came around.  She wasn't told to shut herself down like this before TLC came around.  Earlier episodes make it pretty clear that the family originally enjoyed Jinger's more "free spirit" and expressed individuality.  But when viewers started to respond with hopes for her that were not Duggar-approved, the borg moved to bring her in line with the family's image.  Jinger's free spirit and her freedom to express her unique individuality were some of the first casualties of the Duggar TV Mission.

I think that out of all the Duggar daughters, Jinger is actually the one most likely to have a pronounced NEGATIVE experience with filming.   It makes sense why Jinger may not feel comfortable being "natural" with the cameras.  It makes sense why she might view filming differently than her siblings and feel the need to be more "controlled" on camera.  

I have always gotten the feeling that given an actual, empowered choice in the matter, Jinger would likely choose to step away from the spotlight. But she married spotlight hog Jeremy, so that will never fully happen.  

I've had the same thoughts, and honestly it really doesn't help that there is an entire website named after her.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 8
Pecansforeveryone

Jinger is not only "different" by Duggar standards, she is "different" while also being female in fundyland. I found the misogny stiffling and smothering in my far more mainstream Evangelical churches. I can only imagine what it was like for Jinger. I will never forget her "testimony" to Ben. Fearing of "losing" your salvation or not really being "saved" is huge in these circles. It's  the unspoken elephant in the room. Fear of going to hell was what kept me in religion/the church for a few years after I would otherwise have left.

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
metheglyn
11 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Seeing those dress photos makes me think that Lauren has a good sense of personal style. She knows what works on her and she picked the dress that she liked. I'm very glad for her: I'm sure it wasn't easy with all those opinions in the room. I hope that good sense and ability to get what she wants carries through her marriage.  (Also, dress 5: that's SO similar to Jessa's! Why would anyone suggest that!)

Kendra noted that Dress 5 was particularly close in style to hers as well. Both Kendra and Jessa had the beaded top with floofy skirt, though both looked more like a coherent unit than Dress 5 did. Personally, I thought Dress 5 was just strange.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
Pecansforeveryone

A lot of those poofy dresses were just hot messes on Lauren who I think is a beautiful girl with a great figure. I feel for her being dragged into that spectacle just for the cameras.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
ati_escapee

I just watched it on YouTube. That's 42 minutes if my life that I'll never get back.

Honestly, I am editing weddings today so I needed background noise, but ugh, that was a bad episode. Are they all that terrible and boring? I think I've seen 3 or 4 episodes total.

• Upvote 4
Buzzard
13 minutes ago, ati_escapee said:

I just watched it on YouTube. That's 42 minutes if my life that I'll never get back.

Honestly, I am editing weddings today so I needed background noise, but ugh, that was a bad episode. Are they all that terrible and boring? I think I've seen 3 or 4 episodes total.

Yes, they are all that terrible and boring - but that one was particularly stupid.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1
VelociRapture
26 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Being a Pastor’s wife could play a role as well. She could feel as if there are certain expectations of how she behaves and looks in public because of that. I think other posters have mentioned that being the case from what they’ve seen and experienced themselves. 

I do think you have a good point. It’s entirely possible she has felt pressured in the past into acting a certain way by her family and peers and that’s still impacting her today. It wouldn’t be the first time her parents failed spectacularly (see Jill not pursuing Nursing, allowing Josie’s seizure to be aired, anything related to Josh, etc.) At the same time, I think she might have made some sort of a choice regarding filming when she opted to marry someone like Jeremy. Maybe after getting to know him she realized being with him was more important than not having cameras around. Or, on the other hand, maybe she saw marrying someone who lived outside of Arkansas as a way of limiting the access TLC would have into her life. 

It’d be interesting to know what her honest thoughts are on having her life - and now her daughter’s life - televised, but I doubt she’ll share that anytime soon. I do think it’s an interesting topic, especially considering she’s a parent herself now. I’d think if she really hated filming that much she’d want to spare Felicity that experience. I could be wrong about that though and they could feel the pros outweigh the cons. 

• Upvote 18

I think Jinger is trying to convey a pastor’s wife image certainly. But she comes off so stiff and cold, even with her siblings she is super formal. Multiple factors I’m sure have led her to this. Perhaps she is just a really bad actor. Perhaps this is all against her will. But she’s uncomfortable to watch. 

Even watching her during courtship/engagement two years ago, she was genuinely warm and real. I feel that’s gone.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1
ati_escapee
33 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Yes, they are all that terrible and boring - but that one was particularly stupid.

The voices being off made Michelle's voice extra cringe-y. I understand that was so it wouldn't be taken off YouTube, but I almost couldn't handle it. 😂

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
VeryNikeSeamstress

Wow. Looking at the dresses they gave Lauren, I wouldn't want to shop at that wedding shop. Only the dress that Lauren chose seemed to fit her wish list, it's like they weren't even paying attention to what she asked for.

The long lace sleeves with the cap sleeve lining looks weird, and that dress with the blingy top and the poofy skirt is miles from what she asked for. If they're going to show her a variety of options and the know she doesn't like pouf, just show her the modest mermaids/sheaths/slim a-lines.

It bums me out that nude lining is considered immodest. The pretty details are so much more visible with a contrasting lining.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5
neurogirl

Playing Duggar's advocate (sorry), it could all be for TV. If the bridal store she went to works like kleinfield's or any other bridal salon, they would've put her in the dress that checked all her boxes first. But they can't film..and dress 1 is it! So they put her in all the other ones for show. Or they could  be incompetent. I don't know!

I'm just glad no one was filming my dress experience. An entourage of 6, 2 days, 3 stores, about 40 dresses, crying and wine...and 5 months later finding my actual dress by myself lol. That would not have made for good tv. 

• Upvote 18
mollysmom

Neither you tube link is working for me. Does anyone else have a link with the episode that they can share?

Iamtheway
1 hour ago, neurogirl said:

I'm just glad no one was filming my dress experience. An entourage of 6, 2 days, 3 stores, about 40 dresses, crying and wine...and 5 months later finding my actual dress by myself lol. That would not have made for good tv. 

That could have been a whole season more interesting then CO!

Edited by Iamtheway
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 2
Audrey2
15 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

That could have been a whole season more interesting then CO!

Heck, watching leg hair grow is a whole lot more interesting than Counting On!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 1
4 hours ago, Irishy said:

I think Jinger is trying to convey a pastor’s wife image certainly. But she comes off so stiff and cold, even with her siblings she is super formal. Multiple factors I’m sure have led her to this. Perhaps she is just a really bad actor. Perhaps this is all against her will. But she’s uncomfortable to watch. 

Even watching her during courtship/engagement two years ago, she was genuinely warm and real. I feel that’s gone.

Introverted people come off this way to a lot of people. I'm an introvert, and I've heard people make comments like that that have completely shocked me. I think that for a lot of people, when they're in a new environment (like the birthing center) they appear to "clam up" becuase it's very stimulating. Especially if others in the group (like Jeremy) are more extroverted. 

It's also very subjective. I agree that Jinger seems stiff at the birthing center, but to me she seemed very engaged and emotional at the ultrasound. Then, later, she made that joke about "rest in peace...or is it rest in pieces?"  She didn't come off as conservative to me at all. 

Personally, I don't think it's weird for people to act shy in some circumstances and more at ease in others. It's how I tend to be. 

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 3
Sky with diamonds

Honestly, I really liked Jinger during the episode. Glad she still has her sass. 

• Upvote 3
Daisy0322

Jinger isn't my pet fundie so maybe that's screwing with my perception but I think her and Jeremy are trying to build a brand. I think the stiff formalness is them trying to be the "Ken and Barbie" of fundie land.  All the duggars care about is ratings and jinger got good ratings even if public perception wasnt the ideal fundy dream girl and she was very different in the engagement and courting episodes. I think it's a deliberate polish her and Jeremy are going for.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
just_ordinary
5 hours ago, BernRul said:

Introverted people come off this way to a lot of people. I'm an introvert, and I've heard people make comments like that that have completely shocked me. I think that for a lot of people, when they're in a new environment (like the birthing center) they appear to "clam up" becuase it's very stimulating. Especially if others in the group (like Jeremy) are more extroverted. 

It's also very subjective. I agree that Jinger seems stiff at the birthing center, but to me she seemed very engaged and emotional at the ultrasound. Then, later, she made that joke about "rest in peace...or is it rest in pieces?"  She didn't come off as conservative to me at all. 

Personally, I don't think it's weird for people to act shy in some circumstances and more at ease in others. It's how I tend to be. 

I am not what I would call introverted and even I act like that. When we visited our hospital or go house hunting I am always very quiet at the beginning. I am taking everything in that is said and shown. And then I will start asking questions and become more engaged. I also have definitely a resting bitch face going on which doesn’t help.

We should also not forget that the segment is edited for tv. And what is stiff about not sitting on the chair? If anything it made Jeremy look stupid and childish in my eyes. It is like sitting on the toilet- isn’t that explanation enough?

@neurogirl but wouldn’t it be more dramatic to show her several dresses that fit her description (maybe one that is a bit different)? They could have played it up with all the „Oh no they are both great, I cannot decide.....“ then all the people that had to be there finally would have really have a purpose (even the stupid signs). 

I will say - I adore the skirt from the last one.  

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
Chewing Gum
14 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

'splain this to me, Lucy - 'cause I don't get it. lol

It’s though Content ID. Basically you have a database with audio(voices/segments/network brands) that gets recognized and automatically removed. YouTube couldn’t otherwise keep up with the thousands of video’s posted each day and the copywright problems that come with it. One of the mayor companies that does audio content id is Audible Magic. From what I can find they’ve been around for a while. (See: https://www.scottsmitelli.com/articles/youtube-audio-content-id from 2009 where a guy has fun changing music and https://www.audiblemagic.com/content-registration/ for a bit of info on audible magic stuff). I suppose Google has a database for images too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3
Georgia3112
15 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

At the same time, I think she might have made some sort of a choice regarding filming when she opted to marry someone like Jeremy.

I think that the priorities are different in their mind: she found someone she liked and he liked her back, her parents would approve- I really think that having a husband and a family is MUCH more important in her world  than details like pastor wife, TLC around from time to time and so on- those details could change in time and will most likely depend on the husband's will. (we can look at Jill who married an accountant that after the wedding wanted to be a missionary, then a pastor, then "decided" they won't be on TLC anymore etc)

So it's unlikely she thought about those things in deciding to marry Jeremy.

• Upvote 9
bananabread

I think the way that we perceive Jinger as reserved, boring, etc has a lot do do with her insecurities. If you've been watching for the past several years, it's pretty obvious that Jinger is self-conscious about many things: her hair, her weight, her general appearance, her wifely skills, her status as a worthy Christian, and her intelligence. Her fundie upbringing instilled her with guilt and a very narrow conception of what an acceptable Christian and female is, and I'm sure having Jessa - who was praised as being otherworldly beautiful since childhood - as a best friend and constant companion was difficult. Jinger has made comments about not believing that a guy like Jeremy ("hot" and popular) would be interested in her, and Jeremy has mentioned that Jinger often underestimates her abilities. These are things that JinJer have admitted on national tv, even with how conscious they are of their "brand" (which I think they value GREATLY), so I'd imagine that reality is quite a bit...more pronounced.

Jinger is insecure of her looks and abilities, so she tries not to draw attention to herself. She tries to conform as best she can: hair straightening, dressing immaculately, "modern modest," heavy makeup, downplaying her skills (photography and piano), playing the perfect submissive adoring wife, not taking risks by talking too much or too loudly. And having a husband like Jeremy - who wants the spotlight and to be dominant in his relationships - allows her to play the quiet, pliant sidekick pretty much indefinitely.

A husband like Ben or Joe may have eventually coaxed Jinger out of her shell, and been thoughtful and selfless enough to encourage her to reach her true potential. Unfortunately I think Jeremy, for the most part, likes Jinger right where she is.

• Upvote 30
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1
tabitha2

There are plenty of people who like being dominated as Jinger was dominated by Jessa and her parents all her life and now Jeremy. It’s probably natural to her and she is reasonably content with her hot command man and sweet baby mittens. 

• Upvote 6
Jinder Roles

Jinger definitely has a personality but she’s also more submissive especially around dominant types like Jessa and Jeremy. 

To me, she’s also master of deflection and image control. Watching her compared to, say Jill, you’ll notice how she positions herself, changes topics or anticipates and corrects certain things. She’s not dominant, but she’s very self-aware and perceptive. 

I feel like Jinger might be one of those people’s thats so smooth and amicable, you won’t even realize how they’re manipulating things sometimes (I won’t mean manipulate in a negative way, just adjusting outcome)

• Upvote 17
  • Love 1
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic