• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Georgiana

JRod 77: Saving Souls thru Smiley Face Tracts

Happy
PennySycamore

One of my aunts does have a name that rhymes with a female body part.  The pronunciation she had as a child is, I think, an archaic English one (or maybe current English, for all I know)*.  She started pronouncing it the most common way as an adult.

*I heard this pronunciation on the Tony Awards broadcast in 1973.  Eileen Atkins was nominated for best actress as Elizabeth I and Vivat, Vivat Regina was nominated for Best Play.  An English actress announced the nominations for Best Actress which how I heard the English pronunciation.

Tired
FecundFundieFundus

Vivat Amita/Matertera Regina! 

QuiverFullofBooks

I wonder if fundies are more willing to do MLMs because they’ve been told that it’s fine to harass people about religion, so it doesn’t seem inappropriate to them to harass someone to purchase something.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

Ash

The capital of Saskatchewan is Regina. Yes, the way they pronounce it, it rhymes with a female body part. And they say it with a straight face.

socalrules

I feel bad saying this but I just don’t think Nurie’s jewelry is that pretty. I don’t know  anyone who would buy it and don’t see there being a big market for it. The jewelry is also overpriced when you can go to Claire’s and get the same thing for half the price. If she really wants to make jewelry for money, she should come up with ideas for a couple of specialty pieces that people can order custom pieces by color or metal type. She needs to go to the mall and see what’s popular out there and put her own twist on it. She has to create something to people on Etsy would want and recommend to their friends/family. 

I wonder what she is using for materials. Is she reading books on making jewelry or just using one of those jewelry making kits kids use? I can’t see her being giving the tools necessary to make this a successful venture. 

I am mad at the spelling and grammatical errors in the description of the jewelry linked by one of the FJ members. I don’t blame Nurie because I am sure she thinks it is correct. I blame Jill who I would bet approved every word of it and knows there are so many things wrong with it. 

Edited by socalrules
  • Upvote 22
  • I Agree 10

Happy
PennySycamore

@Ash, that's good to know about Regina, Saskatchewan.   

Maybe it's just a Southern name, but I've known several grown men named Enos which rhymes with a male body part. 

pook

This skit couldn't be more relevant to recent thread drift!

• Haha 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Granwych

I agree about the jewelry.  Findings, beads, charms, etc available at AC Moore, Michael's, Joann's, etc.  Nice for novice crafters, but to sell?  If she had access to jewelry suppliers like Fire Mountain, Shipwreck, Artbeads, etc, then she could make some unique pieces.  I hope to Rufus that her creative side doesn't get totally squashed by Mommie Dearest.

Tired
FecundFundieFundus

It's the homeschool equivalent of those stupid fundraiser catalogues school kids get sent home with. Guilt your family into buying a $20 roll of gift wrap or $35 chocolates and you can WiN a PrIzE! I hate them ssso dang much. Friends of the family probably bought something out of guilt/pity so Nurie could go on her trip. 

(I'm the evil mom who doesn't let her kids sell from the catalogue. I give some money to the teacher to support the class and take the kids on a special trip/special fancy meal out/small prize if they do X number of kind deeds for family/neighbors instead)

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

PopRox

I... actually like the gold "angle" earrings. They're totally something I would wear. I'd even be inclined to buy them, but... as others have said, the money would probably all go to Jill. I'm not about to give Jill any of my money. I will only give her shit, and only on here.

Sorry, Nurie.

Edited by PopRox
riffles

wallysmommy

I just watched a video of the girls singing with Jill at the piano.  I'm by no means an expert on body language, but it struck me as a bit sad that the girls were clustered together, and they all were standing like awkward 4 year olds with their toes turned inward.  

Aggravated
Okie_Bokie

Spoiler

IMG_6934.thumb.JPG.1bd179259e1b64d4036ce93f2f26c0f3.JPGIMG_6937.thumb.JPG.ccad61df2188fa2913e3a7b811b86173.JPGIMG_6932.thumb.JPG.ea2115af553794f4c2e796ca7458012c.JPGIMG_6930.thumb.JPG.553ee2e68dfd7fce63f99f8ba50f1461.JPGIMG_6931.thumb.JPG.42cc7b29449f76cd4e6efeac2d2986d9.JPG

I was in Spokane yesterday and drove to Moody Aviation.  Took photos, of course.  Timothy has to drive by Spokane Community College to get there, so I'm sure he's aware of its existence.  On the corner of SCC that he surely sees is their Fire Science building, with all its cool facilities.  Wouldn't firefighter be a good occupation for him?  I think so.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 11

JermajestyDuggar

Jessica Richardson is a flight instructor now. She is a fundie from the seven farmgirls blog which also has a Facebook page. That FB page is friends with Jill, so she’s aware of their existence. I wonder what she would think of a female flight instructor being Timothy’s teacher. Where they are alone in a small plane for hours each week. 

I want to say, only a fraction of flight instructors are women. It’s a male dominated field. I just think it would be hilarious if Tim got a fundie female instructor like Jessica (She doesn’t live anywhere near Moody so she won’t ever be his instructor).

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

Spanger

There's a market for even very basic, entry-level type jewelry, if you know how to market it.  I could see some of Nurie's jewelry doing well as bridesmaid's gift sets, plus she's entering a good season of life for that, and lots of brides in her circle probably have larger wedding parties.  There'd be a few steps to do towards prepping to market and sell that way, but I could see that being a good niche for Nurie to learn more about.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Waffle Time
Beermeet

Moody is depressing looking!  Ugh.  Appropriate name, i guess.

keepercjr

In the city where I live, there is a street called Vegedes.  Pronounced like vagina.  I had a friend who lived on the street who confirmed it LOL. 

I am not comfortable with my kids selling stuff from school.  Their school has been pretty good about it and we only had a jewelry catalogue come home last year (nothing the previous 2 years).  We didn't buy anything and I didn't ask the kids to sell anything.  I just made a small donation to the class.  They did collect jog a thon $ from the extended family members though and I was ok with that because they would actually be working for it.  

HarryPotterFan
18 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

If one can wheelchair dance with you, I am in!  Wine is on me.

Of course! Party time!

Giddy
PumaLover
4 hours ago, keepercjr said:

In the city where I live, there is a street called Vegedes.  Pronounced like vagina.  I had a friend who lived on the street who confirmed it LOL. 

OMG every time I drive by that street it makes me laugh. I always say VAG-edes, and really emphasize the VAG part. I'm a five year old. 😂

PreciousPantsofDoom

It's almost a rite of passage for Canadian kids learning their Provincial Capitals to go through a phase of immature sniggering about poor old Regina.

Most of us get over it until our inner 12 year olds get smirking again when we learn of the existence of Dildo, Newfoundland.  And the town signage in Climax, Saskatchewan that is rumored to have "Come again! " written on the back.  

SoGladIWasCofE

Is getting a catalogue of overpriced crap common in the US? It just seems like such a bizarre thing for a school to do.

We used to have weekly cake stalls to raise money, which seems much more sensible. Most people will buy a 50p fairy cake. It rotated around the classes.

Lurky
7 hours ago, Spanger said:

I could see some of Nurie's jewelry doing well as bridesmaid's gift sets, plus she's entering a good season of life for that, and lots of brides in her circle probably have larger wedding parties.

With any other fundy maiden, I'd agree, but I don't think Nurie has a circle of friends like the usual Fundy families.  Jill has only mentioned her "best friend" who she'd known since NY state days, and who went to Botswana with Nurie, and while there are occasionally young women pictured at the Rod home, they seem to be children of people Jill knows, or other mega families, or church families.  There was the friend Nurie took on her Sweet 16 birthday meal, but I don't think she's been mentioned again.  But Nurie wasn't even allowed to go to church youth group, as Jill disapproved of it (per one of her blogs), and she's spent the last few years on the road working to buy food for her family, and Jill never talks about her hanging out with friends.

Now, that doesn't mean much, because Jill has only mentioned Nurie's paid job outside the home once, and barely mentions Nurie's jewellery-making, so for all we know, Nurie has a rich social life off-stage.  But between Jill insisting her daughters are her best friends, Nurie's responsibilities as sister-mom, and Jill thinking her family is so much more godly than all the terrible sinners around them, it does seem unlikely.  It's one of the many things I'm sad about for those kids. 

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Shadoewolf

Ugh we get at least 3-4 fundraisers a year through school then usually 1-2 each per sport. Candy, pizza or coney kits, cookie dough, car washes, 50/50 raffles, broomball tournaments, plus mandatory volunteering for the kids' respective teams. This year I just elected to pay the flat fee in lieu of volunteering because my time is already crunched and I hate my daughter's cheer coach enough that it's worth $75 to avoid spending 3 games with her. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 7
  • Love 5

SoGladIWasCofE
4 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Ugh we get at least 3-4 fundraisers a year through school then usually 1-2 each per sport. Candy, pizza or coney kits, cookie dough, car washes, 50/50 raffles, broomball tournaments, plus mandatory volunteering for the kids' respective teams. This year I just elected to pay the flat fee in lieu of volunteering because my time is already crunched and I hate my daughter's cheer coach enough that it's worth $75 to avoid spending 3 games with her. 

Mandatory volunteering? Paying to be in a team? Seriously?

That's awful - does that mean poorer kids/ kids with busy parents just don't get to participate?

Parental input was never a thing for any of the school teams at any of the schools my sister and I went to.

You got onto the team if you were good enough, and teachers coached and bussed kids to matches and things.

The cake stalls were literally just for extra toys for the classroom. It wasn't essential - books and pencils and excercise books  were already covered. Every class did one per year total. It wasn't mandatory or anything, it was just if you wanted to.

I think my secondary school had an hours system for teachers, they had to do a certain number of hours of non-teaching duty, like supervising lunchtimes or school trips. Some of them spread it through the year, some of them got all of their hours out of the way by going on week long school trips. 

Parents weren't really involved with anything to do with sports teams, even for primary school. They had to get CRB/whatever it is now checked before the school was allowed to let them interact with teams/trips.

Gimme a Free RV

Given how Jill pronounces "Satan," (SAY-un) I think she'd probably say CLI-or-us. (Short i sound.)

littlemommy
7 minutes ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

Given how Jill pronounces "Satan," (SAY-un) I think she'd probably say CLI-or-us. (Short i sound.)

I think if she’s ever said it aloud she whispers it. I bet she whispers every “dirty “ word. And then probably giggles nervously, impresses by her own boldness.

I just say ‘em. PENIS. VAGINA. BOOOOOB!!