IGNORED

Faux News: Who Says the USA Doesn't Have State TV?

Destiny

Um, Katie, it's not like he PILOTS the planes, his fat ass sits in the back, sipping Diet Coke and eating Big Macs.

• Upvote 7

54 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Right because he has an umbrella that he can't close. 

Oh Katie, does it hurt to be that dumb? How much did your parents pay to buy your admission into a decent college?

• Haha 5

"Tucker Carlson’s lie of the week"

Spoiler

On Sunday night, Tucker Carlson declared an open-door policy for his eponymous prime-time Fox News program. The declaration came after Media Matters surfaced a bunch of misogynistic remarks that Carlson had made between 2006 and 2011 on a radio show with “Bubba the Love Sponge.” The comments were just awful: He called one woman a “pig,” another “c---y” and essentially spread sexist sentiment across the airwaves.

The backlash was substantial enough, in fact, as to prompt a Sunday night statement from Carlson himself, distributed by Fox News’s PR team: “Media Matters caught me saying something naughty on a radio show more than a decade ago. Rather than express the usual ritual contrition, how about this: I’m on television every weeknight live for an hour. If you want to know what I think, you can watch. Anyone who disagrees with my views is welcome to come on and explain why.”

Bolding added to highlight quite an offer.

The Erik Wemple Blog asked Fox News whether the network had received any takers for Carlson’s generosity. We didn’t get a response.

However, we know about the case of David Schleich, a 49-year-old resident of Lincoln, Neb. Intent upon capitalizing on the offer, Schleich asked a producer on Carlson’s show if he could be scheduled on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” to explain why he disagrees with the host’s views. Schleich is computer systems manager for Commercial Investment Properties, a Lincoln firm that has been in his family for more than 40 years. The family’s business philosophy, he says, is the opposite of the approach that Donald Trump took to his own company. “We are a family that believes in giving back to the community,” says Schleich.

As for his motive in seeking a slot on “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” Schleich tells the Erik Wemple Blog: “Tucker’s unwillingness to take responsibility for what he said — even if they were 10 years ago — is infuriating to me,” he says, noting that he has three daughters. The comments from Carlson about women, says Schleich, “are not acceptable in this day and age.”

Alas, Schleich never got a response from Fox News about his request for a moment with Carlson. No great surprise there: Over the past three nights, Carlson has avoided reckoning with his sexist, misogynistic, racist comments. Instead, he has attacked the organ that surfaced them. “I’m for apology, but not to them,” he said Tuesday night.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Oh Katie, does it hurt to be that dumb? How much did your parents pay to buy your admission into a decent college?

She graduated from the University of Arizona, so I think she did that all by herself. Maybe like how she wrote two books all by herself (and co-authored a third) all by herself.

Edited by JMarie
spelling
  • Thank You 2

6 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I just wonder how long this silly, "But Hillary's emails" card will be played. Will it continue until she passes away? Even years after that? When Fox gets up on Hillary, who will be next?

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

I just wonder how long this silly, "But Hillary's emails" card will be played. Will it continue until she passes away? Even years after that? When Fox gets up on Hillary, who will be next?

AOC.

• I Agree 6

"Fox News bumps ‘Judge Jeanine’ after remarks about Rep. Omar’s hijab. Trump wants her back on air."

Spoiler

Jeanine Pirro, the Fox News host and former prosecutor, was absent from her usual slot in the network’s Saturday night prime-time lineup — and her most powerful viewer was not happy about it.

Fox News bumped the show a week after it publicly condemned Pirro’s on-air suggestion that Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) did not support the U.S. Constitution because she is Muslim and wears a hijab.

“Bring back @JudgeJeanine Pirro,” President Trump tweeted Sunday morning.

Trump accused Pirro’s critics of waging “all out campaigns” against Pirro and fellow Fox News host Tucker Carlson, who was widely rebuked after decade-old racist, misogynistic and homophobic comments resurfaced last week. Both of their comments prompted some advertisers to boycott the shows.

“Stop working soooo hard on being politically correct, which will only bring you down,” Trump said in another tweet, before issuing a curiously dire warning to “Be strong & prosper, be weak & die!”

In yet another post, Trump urged his 59 million followers to “Keep fighting for Tucker, and fight hard for @JudgeJeanine."

Carlson is on his regular weeknight schedule, but the network declined to say whether it had suspended Pirro, and a spokeswoman did not respond to a question about when her show would return.

Last week, network executives said Pirro’s comments “do not reflect those of the network and we have addressed the matter with her directly.”

Trump mounted his defense hours after he threatened “Saturday Night Live” and other late-night comedy shows that have made the president a frequent punchline. On Twitter, he asked whether the Federal Communications Commission and the Federal Election Commission should “look into” the programs for “knocking the same person (me), over & over, without so much of a mention of ‘the other side.’ ”

For the president’s critics, Trump’s latest flurry of morning tweets again laid bare a truism of his administration’s view of the media: For those who question or mock him, a flexing of executive muscle and vague, ad hoc threats; but for his supporters, an outpouring of praise and exclusive interviews.

Pirro is one of Fox News’s highest-rated hosts and has been a zealous booster of Trump — and she has a history of rhetoric denounced as anti-Muslim. She began her last show by pointing out that Omar, who was accused of using anti-Semitic tropes, wears a hijab and asked her audience to “Think about it … ”

"Is her adherence to this Islamic doctrine indicative of her adherence to sharia law, which in itself is antithetical to the United States Constitution?” Pirro asked, invoking a right-wing conspiracy theory about a purported attempt by Muslims to take over the U.S. government and install sharia law. (In reality, sharia is a framework of Islam and describes guidelines for living an ethical Muslim life.)

Pirro later defended her statements, maintaining that she didn’t call Omar “un-American” and that her intention was to “ask a question and start a debate.”

“Of course because one is Muslim does not mean you don’t support the Constitution,” Pirro said.

But the backlash was swift and bipartisan. Hufsa Kamal, an associate producer at Fox News, accused her co-worker of “spreading this false narrative that somehow Muslims hate America.”

Some of Pirro’s advertisers also have revolted, refusing to buy time on her show going forward. That list includes the Botox manufacturer Allergan; the health technology company GreatCall; Letgo, a website for buying and selling used goods; and NerdWallet, a financial service.

Novo Nordisk, a pharmaceutical company, is also “reevaluating” its ads on Pirro’s show.

Carlson is also losing advertising — including the pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca — but the network has continued its tacit support for him and his show, which also has high viewership. After Media Matters, a left-wing advocacy group, published audio from Carlson’s old interviews on the shock-jock radio program the “Bubba the Love Sponge Show,” Carlson thanked Fox News for supporting him.

“Fox News is behind us, as they have been since the very first day,” he said last week. “Toughness is a rare quality in a TV network, and we’re grateful for that."

No stranger to unleashing controversy, Carlson dug in. After all, he has seen advertisers flee before, and it hasn’t made much of a difference to his bottom line.

"We will never bow to the mob, ever,” Carlson said on his show.

For good measure, he then added a Trumpian punctuation: “No matter what.”

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Pete has contracted a version of Dumbass Syndrome from refusing to wash his damn hands all these years. :pb_rollseyes:

53 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

"Fox News bumps ‘Judge Jeanine’ after remarks about Rep. Omar’s hijab. Trump wants her back on air."

Reveal hidden contents

Jeanine Pirro, the Fox News host and former prosecutor, was absent from her usual slot in the network’s Saturday night prime-time lineup — and her most powerful viewer was not happy about it.

Fox News bumped the show a week after it publicly condemned Pirro’s on-air suggestion that Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) did not support the U.S. Constitution because she is Muslim and wears a hijab.

“Bring back @JudgeJeanine Pirro,” President Trump tweeted Sunday morning.

Trump accused Pirro’s critics of waging “all out campaigns” against Pirro and fellow Fox News host Tucker Carlson, who was widely rebuked after decade-old racist, misogynistic and homophobic comments resurfaced last week. Both of their comments prompted some advertisers to boycott the shows.

“Stop working soooo hard on being politically correct, which will only bring you down,” Trump said in another tweet, before issuing a curiously dire warning to “Be strong & prosper, be weak & die!”

In yet another post, Trump urged his 59 million followers to “Keep fighting for Tucker, and fight hard for @JudgeJeanine."

Carlson is on his regular weeknight schedule, but the network declined to say whether it had suspended Pirro, and a spokeswoman did not respond to a question about when her show would return.

Last week, network executives said Pirro’s comments “do not reflect those of the network and we have addressed the matter with her directly.”

Trump mounted his defense hours after he threatened “Saturday Night Live” and other late-night comedy shows that have made the president a frequent punchline. On Twitter, he asked whether the Federal Communications Commission and the Federal Election Commission should “look into” the programs for “knocking the same person (me), over & over, without so much of a mention of ‘the other side.’ ”

For the president’s critics, Trump’s latest flurry of morning tweets again laid bare a truism of his administration’s view of the media: For those who question or mock him, a flexing of executive muscle and vague, ad hoc threats; but for his supporters, an outpouring of praise and exclusive interviews.

Pirro is one of Fox News’s highest-rated hosts and has been a zealous booster of Trump — and she has a history of rhetoric denounced as anti-Muslim. She began her last show by pointing out that Omar, who was accused of using anti-Semitic tropes, wears a hijab and asked her audience to “Think about it … ”

"Is her adherence to this Islamic doctrine indicative of her adherence to sharia law, which in itself is antithetical to the United States Constitution?” Pirro asked, invoking a right-wing conspiracy theory about a purported attempt by Muslims to take over the U.S. government and install sharia law. (In reality, sharia is a framework of Islam and describes guidelines for living an ethical Muslim life.)

Pirro later defended her statements, maintaining that she didn’t call Omar “un-American” and that her intention was to “ask a question and start a debate.”

“Of course because one is Muslim does not mean you don’t support the Constitution,” Pirro said.

But the backlash was swift and bipartisan. Hufsa Kamal, an associate producer at Fox News, accused her co-worker of “spreading this false narrative that somehow Muslims hate America.”

Some of Pirro’s advertisers also have revolted, refusing to buy time on her show going forward. That list includes the Botox manufacturer Allergan; the health technology company GreatCall; Letgo, a website for buying and selling used goods; and NerdWallet, a financial service.

Novo Nordisk, a pharmaceutical company, is also “reevaluating” its ads on Pirro’s show.

Carlson is also losing advertising — including the pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca — but the network has continued its tacit support for him and his show, which also has high viewership. After Media Matters, a left-wing advocacy group, published audio from Carlson’s old interviews on the shock-jock radio program the “Bubba the Love Sponge Show,” Carlson thanked Fox News for supporting him.

“Fox News is behind us, as they have been since the very first day,” he said last week. “Toughness is a rare quality in a TV network, and we’re grateful for that."

No stranger to unleashing controversy, Carlson dug in. After all, he has seen advertisers flee before, and it hasn’t made much of a difference to his bottom line.

"We will never bow to the mob, ever,” Carlson said on his show.

For good measure, he then added a Trumpian punctuation: “No matter what.”

Okay, if Faux actually fires her, where will she end up?

1. Working in the White House
  2. Working for Trump's reelection campaign or a Trumphumping PAC
  3. A new show on One America News 
  4. Doing podcasts from her home
  5. Having an unhealthy obsessive affair with Trump*
  6. Other

I personally think she'd end up in the White House if Faux fired her.

*She's over 35, so I really don't think Trump sees her as actual mistress material, but she's crazy about him, so I could see her throwing herself at him and Trump deciding to keep her number handy for when he can't find anybody else. She then completely loses her shit when it doesn't turn into a torrid love affair where he leaves Melania for her, and goes Lorena Bobbit on his ass mushroom.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

Okay, if Faux actually fires her, where will she end up?

1. Working in the White House
  2. Working for Trump's reelection campaign or a Trumphumping PAC
  3. A new show on One America News 
  4. Doing podcasts from her home
  5. Having an unhealthy obsessive affair with Trump*
  6. Other

I personally think she'd end up in the White House if Faux fired her.

*She's over 35, so I really don't think Trump sees her as actual mistress material, but she's crazy about him, so I could see her throwing herself at him and Trump deciding to keep her number handy for when he can't find anybody else. She then completely loses her shit when it doesn't turn into a torrid love affair where he leaves Melania for her, and goes Lorena Bobbit on his ass mushroom.

I think she'll end up in the cabinet. It makes me ill to type that, but she's exactly what he seeks in his cabinet appointees: sycophant, narrow-minded, shrill, lots of time on Faux, etc.

Lorena still lives in the area, maybe we should introduce them...

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I think she'll end up in the cabinet. It makes me ill to type that, but she's exactly what he seeks in his cabinet appointees: sycophant, narrow-minded, shrill, lots of time on Faux, etc.

Lorena still lives in the area, maybe we should introduce them...

If she's still a judge, then she could end up being his next nominee for the Supreme Court. 

Rufus keep RBG and every other Supreme Court judge safe (except Kavanaugh, he should be impeached).

• Upvote 3

"Fox News struggles to preserve the profits of hatred"

Spoiler

Jeanine Pirro’s chuckle was a sweet touch for an embattled president. It was Jan. 12, and President Trump had called in to Pirro’s Saturday night program on Fox News. Meanwhile, the New York Times had just reported that the FBI had opened a counterintelligence investigation against Trump following his firing of then-FBI Director James B. Comey in May 2017. So Pirro had to ask about that.

“The investigation was whether you were actively working for Russia or unwittingly, so I’m going to ask you: Are you now or have you ever worked for Russia, Mr. President?” asked Pirro, quite unseriously. “I think it’s the most insulting article I’ve ever had written and if you read the article, you’d see that they found absolutely nothing,” responded Trump, who received absolutely no pushback from Pirro.

Just how much does Trump appreciate Pirro’s assistance on Fox News? We found out over the weekend. Fox News kept Pirro off the air from her usual Saturday night program. Just one week earlier, Pirro teed off on criticism of Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) for allegedly making anti-Semitic remarks in discussing Israel and its supporters in the United States. Omar is a Muslim and wears a hijab. “Think about it," said Pirro. "Is her adherence to this Islamic doctrine indicative of her adherence to sharia law, which in itself is antithetical to the United States Constitution?”

Condemnation for these ugly remarks came from all over, including an unlikely precinct. Hufsa Kamal, a producer at Fox News itself, tweeted:

Fox News itself followed suit, releasing a statement saying that the comments “do not reflect those of the network and we have addressed the matter with her directly." As the Erik Wemple Blog pointed out last week, Fox News frequently boasts about “addressing" matters, though it’s rarely clear what the “addressing” entails and, in any case, the measures taken don’t appear terribly effective in eliminating offensive and mindless statements from the airwaves. As for Pirro, she refrained from apologizing and said she was trying to get a debate going. Really.

Then: Pirro didn’t appear on Saturday night to host her show. Why? The hyper-transparent folks at Fox News weren’t saying: “We are not commenting on internal scheduling matters,” said a statement. The cryptic explanation from the network managed to both maroon the many loyal viewers of “Justice With Judge Jeanine” as well as cloud the possibility that the network might be making a move out of principle. Think of that.

For President Trump, watching Fox News bump Pirro was like watching a hurricane sweep through a safe harbor:

Which is to say: Keep it up with the hateful language!

The tweets from the White House highlight the pickle in which Fox News finds itself these days. On the one hand, pleasing Trump has become something of a programming priority for the network. A cozy relationship with Trump — meaning interviews, private phone calls, approving tweets and the like — helps Fox News, especially opinion types such as Pirro, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and the co-hosts of “Fox & Friends,” extend its dominance in the ratings.

On the other hand, obeisance to the president and adherence to his values pose certain problems. In a common consequence for spewers of hate at Fox News, certain advertisers have announced that they won’t be doing business with Pirro’s show in the future, including Allergan, GreatCall, Letgo and NerdWallet. Carlson’s show has seen more than 30 such desertions over the past few months, thanks to his declaration in December that immigration makes the country “dirtier” and old radio comments resurfaced by Media Matters for America in which he used racist, misogynistic and homophobic language.

On Sunday, CNN’s Brian Stelter reported that Pirro had been suspended over her comments. So who announced the suspension? Was it Suzanne Scott, the chief executive? No: It was a “source familiar with the matter.” Such is the contemporary leadership at Fox News: It feels sufficiently compelled by circumstances to suspend a popular host, though not sufficiently compelled to attach a name and a face to the rebuke.

There’s a reason why a “source” at Fox News is whispering the news of Pirro’s suspension. It’s all about striking a perilous and shameful balance. Fox News wants to show advertisers that it’s serious about countering the hatred that so often surfaces on its programs. That’s good business. Fox News also wants to avoid angering the legions of Trump fans who tune in for the overreaching commentary. That’s good business, too. Or they’re a sign of weakness, as the No. 1 fan of Fox News believes. That’s why Carlson and Pirro have remained defiant and unrepentant.

• Upvote 3

When you lose David Clarke...

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

When you lose David Clarke...

Center left? What the everloving fuck? 

• WTF 1
  • I Agree 6

"Former Speaker of the House Paul Ryan joins board of Fox Corporation"

Spoiler

New York (CNN Business)Former Speaker of the House Paul Ryan is joining the board of the newly slimmed-down Fox Corporation, the parent company of Fox News.

Ryan and three other board of directors were appointed on Tuesday. Appointing these directors was a necessary step as the Murdoch family wraps up the Disney-Fox deal.

Disney is acquiring most of 21st Century Fox, including its movie studio and entertainment cable channels. The deal will officially close at 12:02 a.m. ET on Wednesday.

The parts of Fox that aren't being acquired by Disney are forming a new company, simply called Fox, that will be run by Rupert Murdoch's son Lachlan Murdoch.

Rupert will be co-chairman of the company -- a sign that he will remain right in the center of the fray.

Tuesday is the new Fox's first day as a standalone company, trading on the NASDAQ as FOXA and FOX.

The other new board members are Formula 1 chief Chase Carey, who has been a trusted Murdoch world insider for years; Annie Dias; and Roland Hernandez.

Jacques Nasser was previously named to the board, along with both Murdochs.

The Ryan appointment is the most noteworthy, given his history near the top of Republican politics. Ryan and Rupert Murdoch have been friendly for many years. In 2014, he named Ryan as a presidential contender he had "particular admiration for."

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic