IGNORED

Priscilla and David 8: Destiny Faith is here

Coconut Flan

Most fundiegelical families I knew gave their daughters creative names and their sons standard biblical ones. They assumed their sons would have white collar, professional jobs but their daughters wouldn't. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 7
  • WTF 1

25 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

At least one person guessed Destiny!! Congrats JermajestyDuggar. Your prize: a huge bow meant for infants and FJ debates. 

Destiny was very low on my list of contenders. I really thought they would go with Donna, Deborah, or Danielle first! Now that they’ve gone and surprised me, I’m thinking their next girl may end up with another surprising D name. Like Dearest. Or Darling.

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

I actually read the blog post and have to say I'm seriously impressed that Priscilla had a lasagne dinner after giving birth.  I've known lots of women who left the hospital right after giving birth and were fine, but I don't think any of them had lasagne for dinner.

After I gave birth one of the nurses gave me a dinner plate, and I thought I wasn't hungry but she said "try". It was 2am and within 2 minutes I scarfed down a chicken pot pie and piece of chocolate cake. Birth is exhausting and can make you hungry!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

2 hours ago, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

Paul and Phillip vs. Davia and Destiny. The serious biblical boy names and invented, somehow "light" girl names in the same family always get me.

Like the young Staddons: Sauntina, Merilee and Cadence versus... Joshua.

I'd call Davia a Biblical name. It's a variant of David, and I think that makes it just as Biblical as any other Biblical name variant. It's not like any Biblical names in English, like James, Elizabeth, Peter (Especially Peter, since it doesn't even sound like "Cephas!" It just shares a meaning.), etc are exactly the same as the actual Biblical characters would have said their name. I wouldn't call Davia an invented name either (though of course every name was invented at some point); it's unusual, but there are plenty of other Davias out there.

Destiny isn't a Biblical name but it's easy to give it a religious meaning. I don't think I'd call it invented either. It's become used as a given name more recently than Davia, but it's pretty established by now and of course the word itself existed long before it became popular as a name.

I don't really like the name, personally, but I feel like that's likely due to some unfair associations.

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Grace is probably the most common fundie middle name. Joy and Faith might be tied for second place. 

It's also one of the most common middle names in general! It's funny how little variation there is in middle names for girls when there's now a lot of variation in first names. The most popular first names are now not actually all that common compared to the percentage of girls who had a top 10 name 100 years ago, but it seems like a huge percentage of women and girls have Marie, Rose, Elizabeth, Grace, Nicole, Anne, Lynn, May, Jane, or Faith as a middle name.

I looked up the most common middle names after I wrote that and I actually named all of the top 10 middle names for the past two decades just off the top of my head (except they have the spellings "Ann" and "Mae"). The top 10 lists for the 80s and 90s are almost the same, just with Grace and Faith swapped for Michelle and Lee.

• Upvote 9

Congratulations, Waller family! And Destiny: while I am sorry you have been born into a cult at least you will get fed.

The video they did was almost a carbon copy of the one Adam Waller and his wife Valarie did two years ago when their son was born, Davis just had to inject a whole lot more of Jesus into it...

For comparison: 

• Upvote 4

My middle name has been in the Top Ten for almost every decade, and like my first name, is used for males and females!

I am okay with the name Destiny, but what a heavy burden they are laying on a one day old human being - that she has to lead so many lost souls to salvation.  Her eyes are barely even opened!

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, missy1228 said:

So, I can only hope we will be treated to a similar (albeit, more safe) dump truck scenario for little Destiny... if only for my snarking pleasure. What would be the girl equivalent of a dump truck photo shoot?

It's October.A pumpkin?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, GoddessOfVictory said:

She's here - Destiny Faith. Born on 10/02. 8lbs 5oz. 22.25 inches.

https://www.davidlovespriscilla.com/2018/10/02/destiny-faith-is-here/

Well she’s cute. I love Davia’s excitement. One of my favorite things is little kids who love their new baby siblings. It’s just so damn cute, and shows that love and care for babies/fellow human can be found in the youngest among us. 

I’m mildly disappointed the new Pecanette isn’t named another derivation of David.

10 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

I watched that video and was yelling “stop quoting the bible and support the baby’s head!!!” At my screen. Everytime one of the kids held destiny her little head snapped back 

Oy. I haven’t seen it yet, but that’s why parents usually keep their hands on their newborns when the older siblings hold them....

5 hours ago, missy1228 said:

So, I can only hope we will be treated to a similar (albeit, more safe) dump truck scenario for little Destiny... if only for my snarking pleasure. What would be the girl equivalent of a dump truck photo shoot?

I think someone once suggested a laundry basket...

5 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Could they have waited five minutes on the damn bow?  Just five minutes?

She has to match Davia and mommy!

Edited by HarryPotterFan
  • Upvote 7

Welcome to the world, Baby Destiny. May you have your sister's spectacular facial expressions, and may you one day break out of the cult.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 8

2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I think someone once suggested a laundry basket...

I may have been responsible for that thought ?

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, Hane said:

NO. Without a damn bow, how would we know she’s a Future Helpmeet and not a Future Visionary Leader?

Well, at least it's not a baby turban (see the latest Jinger/Felicity thread f you don't know what I'm talking about).  I honestly did not mean to start a whole debate about cultural appropriation -just thought that Felicity had some damn plug-ugly thing on her head.  I'd never seen a baby wearing a turban before and it would be fine with me if I never see another.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I too am surprised by the name Destiny. Not a fan at all. I also hate that parents seem more likely to give girls creative or unique names but go traditional for boys. Bleh. 

Very glad to hear baby is healthy! 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I sent my husband for food while I was in my last labor so that if I delivered after the cafeteria closed we wouldn't be starving. He came back just as I started pushing and several minutes after delivering her I was holding her in one hand and shoving food in my mouth with the other. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 12
  • Love 1

Thinking about food when you have to go to the hospital is really important. I will never snark on anyone for that. Once you submit to them they take away your food privileges and then when you get them back, the cafeteria might be closed...and all the fast food as well.

Yeah, no good. Plan for that shit if at all possible,

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, freethemall said:

Wow, did any of you guess that name? I had guess stuff like Daisy, Dorothy, Dina, Dahlia, so I'm surprised by the choice.

I wonder if she'll go by the nickname Desi.

I've just realized that Priscilla strongly resembles Marta Morton (Russell).

I did - but I predicted like 5 different names, so I don’t think that counts!

I must say, they’re an attractive family, in a Children Of The Corn kind of way.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, JMO said:

I sent my husband for food while I was in my last labor so that if I delivered after the cafeteria closed we wouldn't be starving. He came back just as I started pushing and several minutes after delivering her I was holding her in one hand and shoving food in my mouth with the other. 

I killed a meatball sub (from a real Pizzaria) not 30 minutes after delivering #3. I mean, meatballs, provolone, squishy Italian bread with the crispy crust, marinara sauce that was just right with chunks of tomato in it. 

I was stuffing my face with one hand and nursing with the other. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

I actually don't mind the name Destiny. It wouldn't have been my choice, but it is a fairly mainstream name. I've known more than one. I have a cousin in her mid twenties that is named Destiny and there is a girl in my daughter's 4th grade class that is Destinee. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

I actually don't mind the name Destiny. It wouldn't have been my choice, but it is a fairly mainstream name. I've known more than one. I have a cousin in her mid twenties that is named Destiny and there is a girl in my daughter's 4th grade class that is Destinee. 

It's reassuring to hear that my destinee is also being taken care of.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

I'm sad they didn't gave her "Hope" as a middle name but I still hope she will free from the cult and follow her famous namesake footsteps ?

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I must say, they’re an attractive family, in a Children Of The Corn kind of way.

Or in a Village of the Damned sort of way.

Spoiler

ezpc6w.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 17
  • Love 1

I’m embarrassed that I know Miley Cyrus was born Destiny Hope Cyrus but nicknamed Miley because she was always so Smiley. 

She also legally changed it in adulthood to Miley Ray Cyrus. I guess it makes sense. I doubt anyone ever called her Destiny. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

On 10/3/2018 at 5:25 AM, Melissa1977 said:

And poor poor poor Agape, she must be envying the nice house and the quiet life her cousins are enjoying.

Who wants to bet her mother doesn't envy it too or that Priscilla (and David or Anna) don't look at her life and quietly think to themselves how good they have it?  As to the comment David made about Agape working maybe it was a Freudian slip or he was shading her father the Prince of Zambia.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Who wants to bet her mother doesn't envy it too or that Priscilla (and David or Anna) don't look at her life and quietly think to themselves how good they have it?  As to the comment David made about Agape working maybe it was a Freudian slip or he was shading her father the Prince of Zambia.

Out of all the Keller daughters, I feel sorry for Esther the most. She really is stuck. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic