IGNORED

Priscilla and David 8: Destiny Faith is here

Coconut Flan

Now that I have a little time, I will say why I’m not a fan of uniforms. 

1) my kids live in joggers and elastic waist gym shorts. That doesn’t fly when it comes to uniforms. My kids would pitch a fit every morning if they had to wear “nice pants.” It’s bad enough when I try to put them in nice pants for thanksgiving or Christmas! 

2) it doesn’t always cut down on cost. My children don’t really care what their clothing looks like so I’m able to buy second hand and clearance clothing. I would still have to buy regular clothing on top of uniform clothing.

3) I’m pretty sure my kids would change out of uniforms when they got home anyway. Which means even more laundry. 

4) and like others said, kids will still compare. Coats, hats, gloves, shoes, socks, and backpacks would all be compared so I doubt it would cut down on kids making fun of other kids for being poor or wearing uncool stuff. I would rather just work on empathy and talk about bullying instead of trying to fix that kind of problem with a uniform. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

Mismatched knee socks

I have a 20 something who is the princess of the land of mismatched socks.

I now have 9 Hello Kitty socks without mates thanks to her.  It has been laid upon my heart to no longer share with her.

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I have a 20 something who is the princess of the land of mismatched socks.

I now have 9 Hello Kitty socks without mates thanks to her.  It has been laid upon my heart to no longer share with her.

I was just talking to another mom on the playground. Mismatched socks are “in” these days. When I was a kid, you were a dork and likely made fun of if your socks didn’t match each other. I’m glad it’s ok to have mismatched socks since my kids stick their socks in the most random places. 

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was just talking to another mom on the playground. Mismatched socks are “in” these days. When I was a kid, you were a dork and likely made fun of if your socks didn’t match each other. I’m glad it’s ok to have mismatched socks since my kids stick their socks in the most randm places. 

Yeah - this started when she was in highschool and it's still her thing .. shes known at work for her sock whimsy.

I am not going to say I have my 3 favorite pairs of Hello Kitty crew socks hidden at the bottom of my jeans drawer so she won't find them when she is on the prowl ... but if any of you tell her they are there I will avenge the betrayal.

My oldest is a freshman in high school and apparently it isn't cool there (at least at her particular school or in her group of friends) to have mismatched socks and hates that her sister doesn't match her socks. However, when she was in elementary school she never had matching socks and she even used to have me buy socks that came purposely mismatched in a set of 3 socks! I think it was called little mismatched or something similar?

I don't really care. It means I have less socks to mate up. I just dump all her clean socks in a drawer and let her figure it out. 

9 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

My oldest is a freshman in high school and apparently it isn't cool there (at least at her particular school or in her group of friends) to have mismatched socks and hates that her sister doesn't match her socks. However, when she was in elementary school she never had matching socks and she even used to have me buy socks that came purposely mismatched in a set of 3 socks! I think it was called little mismatched or something similar?

I don't really care. It means I have less socks to mate up. I just dump all her clean socks in a drawer and let her figure it out. 

My kids are little so it might be uncool in the high school to have mismatched socks. It’s so hard to keep up with what’s cool and what’s not!

24 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My kids are little so it might be uncool in the high school to have mismatched socks. It’s so hard to keep up with what’s cool and what’s not!

I have one in elementary school, one in middle school and one in high school. So no matter what I do it is considered uncool by one of them! 

@JermajestyDuggar, for his first few grades of Catholic parochial school (pre-K, kindergarten, and first grade, IIRC), my grandson had an extremely comfy uniform: sneakers with a short-sleeved polo and shorts or skirt (cotton knit fabric) for hot weather and a sweatshirt and sweatpants for cold weather. They were hunter green, the school color, and had the school logo on them. The kids were comfortable, looked put-together, and could be active.

He was *not* happy with the upper grade uniform, which included “hard pants” (his term) and leather dress shoes. The year after he left, the school withdrew the pants option for girls, and we were majorly pissed on the girls’ behalf.

In the middle and high schools I hang out in (for work-related purposes), uniforms are used as an anti-gang tactic and to supposedly reduce violence. Evidence they actually reduce gangs and violence is pretty tenuous. Additionally, the schools that use them tend to be disproportionately poor and African-American, so it's an unfortunately a way to further marginalize kids and punish them if they don't have the resources to keep up with the dress code or wash clothes frequently.

https://www.racked.com/2017/5/3/15518542/public-school-uniforms-education-policy

I worked in one school with uniforms. Does nothing for reducing gangs. They just use other ways to show their affiliations, like growing out their finger nails or shaving notches into their eyebrows. I spent more time policing dress code violations* in the one year I taught at that school than in the 3 years I spent in a school without any uniforms or any serious dress code. 

*I had to say something to students, as school policy required students be sent to the office. If I didn't say anything and an administrator saw, I'd get in trouble. One of many, many reasons I taught at that school for a year. 

My friend teaches at a private school in Australia. The kindergarten uniform is comfy. Polo shirts and shorts for both boys and girls. Once the kids go to Year 1 the girls must wear knee length skirts and blouses and the boys wear knee length shorts and polos. My friend suggested the younger students (years 1-3) wear skorts as they played actively on the climbers but the parent council voted against it since it wasn’t tradition! 

On 10/27/2018 at 8:25 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I keep who I voted for private.

If only fundies would do this! They proudly and smugly proclaim their red republicanism. I'm a private person, but in this climate I have no problem declaring that I am blue in the course of everyday life. No yard signs though, I don't like clutter. We are living in such crazy times, it's forcing me out of my comfort zone.

My kids' uniforms are comfortable enough, just a pain to get here in the correct sizes. And it can be tough when your child suddenly has a huge growth spurt and it sometimes takes 6-8 weeks for a package to arrive if it ends up on a boat. I try to have at least one uniform in the next size up for my son that is growing like crazy right now but it is tough when I know this is the last school year here. 

All the schools here on island have uniforms. The public school uniforms tend to be pants/skirts/shorts and polo shirts. The private schools have more traditional uniforms. A few of the more conservative ones require skirts for the girls which I think is crazy.

My kids go to school on a military base so most of the kids aren't phased too much by it since one or both of their parents wear a uniform to work anyway. My kiddos aren't as used to it but not too many other choices. A few of the areas we are considering moving to do have school uniforms for public schools and is something we are attempting to avoid, but it isn't a total deal breaker either. 

My son just started high school, he is in uniform right now, I am glad because before it would take him forever to get dressed. Now he can decide if he wants the hoodie that still has the drawstring in the hoodie or the one without :) , his younger siblings don't have a uniform but they are also way less fussy about what they wear.

The universe is not right if my socks aren’t the same. My feet get very confused.

They don’t need to match everything else. I like fun socks. But they must match each other.

Uniforms are standard here in the U.K. so I’m used to them, although there are some schools without them, for example my cousins went to a primary school where there was no uniform. 

Many primary schools have pretty generic uniforms eg trousers/polo shirts/sweatshirts etc, and many supermarkets offer school uniforms. They may specify that you have to get a cardigan/jumper etc with the school logo on, which costs a bit more and you have to get from a specific shop. 

For some schools you have to get stuff from a specific shop. 

There’s also no major distinction between state and private schools in terms of uniform. You get the occasional school with really weird/“fancy” uniforms but they’re pretty rare. 

On 11/8/2018 at 4:57 PM, nvmbr02 said:

My 9 year old does have a uniform for school, but that doesn't stop her interesting choices in the morning. Mismatched knee socks, gold converse, a messy bun and colorful homemade rubber band bracelets half way up her arm when she left this morning. Her older sister was mortified. 

As a little sister, being able to embarrass an older sibling like that would only encourage me. 

Pecan posted a video of Paul singing the National Anthem at church.  Now, that’s a hard song for most adults to sing well. I listened for a bit. Wish he would stand back from the mic more or they could find a more age appropriate or range appropriate song for him. His words were clear.

39 minutes ago, Markie said:

Pecan posted a video of Paul singing the National Anthem at church.  Now, that’s a hard song for most adults to sing well. I listened for a bit. Wish he would stand back from the mic more or they could find a more age appropriate or range appropriate song for him. His words were clear.

I was impressed that I could understand all the words. Some are hard to pronounce for a 5 year old. I figured god bless America would be more appropriate for fundies on Veterans Day. 

I wore uniforms from 1st to 12th grade. It was nice to not have to decide what to wear. However, if I even SEE a pair of navy blue knee socks I swear I will break out into hives. Fortunately, since then, I've never had to get "dressed up" for work. Today's fashion is a blue/white sweater, gray Golden Knights hoodie, jeans, socks and hot pink/black Nikes. 

I guess I even now dress in a sort of uniform...jeans/pants, top, sandals or tennis shoes. Speaking of...I could use more tops...but I have to purge more out of my closet first. 

Davia's birthday was yesterday and neither God nor Jesus nor #family was mentioned in her birthday post. Is that even allowed?

davidncil

Happy fourth Birthday, Davia! You are a precious treasure! Your thoughtful sensitivity, your clear articulation of what is happening around your and your incredible personality are a joy and delight to us all! #happybirthday

5 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Davia's birthday was yesterday and neither God nor Jesus nor #family was mentioned in her birthday post. Is that even allowed?

davidncil

Happy fourth Birthday, Davia! You are a precious treasure! Your thoughtful sensitivity, your clear articulation of what is happening around your and your incredible personality are a joy and delight to us all! #happybirthday

I was surprised by it as well. Especially the part about her personality. Because you know she’s a cheeky one.

davidncil

Happy fourth Birthday, Davia! You are a precious treasure! Your thoughtful sensitivity, your clear articulation of what is happening around you and your incredible personality are a joy and delight to us all! #happybirthday

That's a really good description of some of the faces she makes. May Davia's face continue to express the "WTF" that so many fundie children must feel inside!!

I'm surprised that the adult Pecans know and can spell the word "articulation".  Also, no mention of fun.  Do they now have a (holy) ghostwriter?

• 2 weeks later...

The Pecan Family’s BFFs (Robert and Kendalyn) are in Europe attending Her sisters graduation from butler school. I had no idea there was still a butler school. I wonder where she will be employed. In a big old European castle? Or some rich person’s private mansion? The kids stayed with the Staddon. Which makes sense. There are plenty of adults still living at home to help with the children. There are more adults in that home than grandchildren actually. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived