IGNORED

Maxwell 24: Juicing, Chiropracters, and Faux Insurance

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, frumperlicious said:

But some vegetables, please. Please. I wonder how these families ever poop?!

Perhaps the weekly bean burritos help? 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just went through the recipes category on the blog and their deserts actually look decent to me. However the majority of the entrees seem awful.

https://blog.titus2.com/2010/04/30/a-taste-away-from-home-ggs-chicken-casserole/

This one uses two cans of cream soup as well as two cans of chicken broth. I can't imagine how salty this thing has to be. It kind of blows my mind that they'll spend all day making tortillas and burrito filling but are using canned stock rather than making their own.

https://blog.titus2.com/2009/07/17/a-taste-at-home-beefzucchini-pot-pie/

This actually looks pretty good to me. Their minds must have been blown by all of the spices. In another post Teri said she suspects that spices are the secret to Anna's success when cooking. Ya think?

20 minutes ago, Dru said:

My grandfather (ex military) used to make a version of SOS using ground beef rather than chipped. He made the gravy from scratch and it would be super peppery and delicious.

My mom did something similar and called it scrambled hamburger. It was loose ground beef with beef gravy over rice.  And the meat/gravy were always seasoned so it was pretty good.  It was usually a weeknight dinner in the winter. 

We'd eat SOS when the larder was low and money was tight. Ew. That's all I have to say. It's popular enough around here that it's still on the menu at our Golden Corral breakfast... because my dad gets it there!

I just dug into the old moms board cookbook forum via the wayback machine hoping for something interesting, but of course the only thing posted by the Maxwells is their famous tortilla and burrito filling recipes. I suppose that was the full extent of any actual cooking happening in that house 15 years ago.

Hamburger and sausage gravy are so common where I’m from, that hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes was a regular lunch at school. And sausage gravy over biscuits is an option at most breakfast places. 

ETA: and chipped beef on toast is definitely called shit on a shingle here. But no one makes it anymore. That’s one of those things everyone’s grandma makes but that’s about it. 

My great grandma made creamed tomatoes on toast in the depression era when my grandparents were first married. It was actually quite good so she kept making it and I enjoyed it as a kid. It tasted a lot like really creamy tomato soup with tomato chunks in it. 

When I had my last baby I was served something like this at the hospital.  It was a thick slice of deli turkey (sooo rubbery) on a piece of white bread (not toasted) covered in white sauce (which I am sure was just flour and milk) and a side of beyond mushy green beans.  It was the worst meal I have ever had.  My husband who will eat anything, and I mean anything, refused to try it as well.

Thank goodness it wasn't liver and onions night.

On 9/15/2018 at 1:22 PM, mango_fandango said:

Why do all fundie recipes include some kind of cream of crap soup?? 

Also, isn’t Teri allergic to chicken/turkey products? It was mentioned in a Thanksgiving post.

Not just that group, but lots of folks in the South and Midwest.  Maybe the sodium and preservatives in the soup render the poultry tolerable to her system?   ?

2 hours ago, Dru said:

I just went through the recipes category on the blog and their deserts actually look decent to me. However the majority of the entrees seem awful.

https://blog.titus2.com/2010/04/30/a-taste-away-from-home-ggs-chicken-casserole/

This one uses two cans of cream soup as well as two cans of chicken broth. I can't imagine how salty this thing has to be. It kind of blows my mind that they'll spend all day making tortillas and burrito filling but are using canned stock rather than making their own.

https://blog.titus2.com/2009/07/17/a-taste-at-home-beefzucchini-pot-pie/

This actually looks pretty good to me. Their minds must have been blown by all of the spices. In another post Teri said she suspects that spices are the secret to Anna's success when cooking. Ya think?

A quote from that beef/zucchini pot pie post: "we had not cooked with zucchini before." That was 2009. How do you go through that many years of life (especially in the midwest) without cooking with zucchini??

10 minutes ago, bean said:

A quote from that beef/zucchini pot pie post: "we had not cooked with zucchini before." That was 2009. How do you go through that many years of life (especially in the midwest) without cooking with zucchini??

I think it's because, other than the burritos, most food in that house was frozen/take-out/hot dish until Anna became old enough to say "fuck this" and try her hand at making actual food.

Buddig is not chipped beef!  It's plastic-y, processed, faux lunchmeat.  It has no place in the food pyramid at all.  AT ALL.  It's the cheapest, nastiest crap ever.  My dad made me eat it because it was affordable and he was poor.  Gross me out.  

Is it a sign that they may be pinching pennies that they are buying that garbage and trying to disguise it by mixing it with real food?  And why, for the love of Rufus, do they even need to combine with chicken?  What did that poor chicken do to deserve that?

Maxwell, there are these things called herbs and spices, oil, vinegar, mustards, lemon juice.  These things combined in different fashions make lovely, healthy marinades for chicken, pork, beef, etc..  If you need some fat or dairy, then put a pat of butter on steamed veggies or melted cheddar over broccoli, a dollop of sour cream on a baked potato.  

This an atrocity.  This is appalling.  Homemaker my foot, Terri.  You suck at it.  BIG time.

53 minutes ago, bean said:

It also caught my attention that someone gave them the zucchini. This reminded me of the more recent cherry posts. Last year, someone gave them cherries and they improvised on the pitting. Then this year someone gave them the pitting device, and they ended up buying a small quantity of cherries to try it out because no one gave them any cherries this year. 

Like the Rodrigueses, the Maxwells take plenty of free stuff from people, but what are they giving in return?  Why aren’t the Maxwells growing their own produce?  What are they sharing?  (besides tracts and prayers)

To be fair, I took a closer look at the pot pie recipe, and I printed it out because it does look rather interesting. 

1 hour ago, bean said:

How do you go through that many years of life (especially in the midwest) without cooking with zucchini??

I'm several hundred years old and I've never cooked with zucchini.  In the last few months I've just tried summer squash for the first time and it's in the same family so maybe some day.

I eat a lot of veggies but the same ones...I think a lot of people who are more conservative in their food tastes tend to be like that.

Does my lack of zucchininess make me an honorary Maxwell?  :)

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm several hundred years old and I've never cooked with zucchini.  In the last few months I've just tried summer squash for the first time and it's in the same family so maybe some day.

I eat a lot of veggies but the same ones...I think a lot of people who are more conservative in their food tastes tend to be like that.

Ha! Well maybe it's regional. I'm in Minnesota and it seems like there is always an overabundance of zucchini this time of year. If you know anyone with a garden, you're probably going to get some at some point, lol.

1 minute ago, bean said:

Ha! Well maybe it's regional. I'm in Minnesota and it seems like there is always an overabundance of zucchini this time of year. If you know anyone with a garden, you're probably going to get some at some point, lol.

Yep, I'm in the midwest, too, and have been ducking free zucchini my whole adult life!  Although recently I made a Red Thai Curry and summer squash was okay in that so I might give it a shot one day.

I am not a fan of curries and such but my kids love them and we do vegetarian meals a lot so it opens up tons of options.  Fundies could feed eleventy kids fairly inexpensively with in season produce and tofu using curries, stir fries, noodles, rice, etc. even with the cost of spices.  You'd think you'd see more of that kind of thing.

I have tried zucchini as a kid - forced on me repeatedly by the crazy aunt who used to try to 'hide' it in things (the tell on these incidents was her unwillingness to tell us what was in something).  I still don't like it.  And yup - duck free zucchini from folks.  Said issue from childhood along with limited finances when I was a kid (plus honestly folks. small town grocery stores often didn't carry a wide variety of foods back in the 70's) mean that exposure to some things just hasn't been there.  I'm not an adventurous eater.  I've only tried Spaghetti and Butternut squash in the last few years.  

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I can't imagine, but probably because I live in an area where you have to hide from people during the summer lest you have more zucchini and squashed dumped on you. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

I'm not actually a big fan of either. 

Spoiler

S9yhO0k.jpg

They sell Buddig in the dollar store around here.  I only had chipped beef once in my life when I was a kid.  I begged my mother to get the Stouffers one for me.  My father did not want my mother to ever make it because he had it when he was in the Air Force.  He called it shit on something or other.  The Stouffers one was disgusting.  Same thing happened when I was a child and begged my mother to get Spaghettios.  That was also disgusting.  lol  Maybe the chipped beef reminds Steve of his military days.  Who knows.  I can't believe they served that slop at a rehearsal dinner.  

11 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

It still shows up on the monthly menu for the chow hall here, so it is still served. I was active duty from '99-'03 and it was served then. But the modern military dining halls (at least for the air force) generally have options, unless you are deployed. We always had 2-3 entrees, 6-8 sides, plus a large salad bar, baked potato bar and a pasta bar for lunch, dinner and midnight chow. Breakfast had typical American breakfast items, plus made to order omelets (which I used to love) and cereal, yogurt, etc...I have a feeling there were not nearly as many choices in the old days. 

FWIW, both my grandfather loved SOS. And creamed tuna on toast, which is basically the same thing but with tuna instead of beef. I remember eating both dishes at my grandparents house as a kid and thinking they were fine but I don't think I could stomach either anymore. 

My son is active duty Marines and while going through boot, he described what he ate at chow.  He said he'd get two yogurts topped with granola, bacon, eggs, pancakes, milk, and a bunch else -- and of course, wolf it down because they didn't get much time to eat.  He never talked about chipped beef or tuna on toast --- but when you said creamed tuna on toast, it brought back a forgotten memory.  My father's mother came to live with us after our grandfather passed away.  On the occasions when my mom would go visit her sister out of town, my grandma would take over the cooking duties and my dad ALWAYS asked her to make creamed tuna on toast, topped with crushed potato chips.   I think she mixed in some frozen peas with the creamed tuna also.  

I don't know if that was from his time in the Army, or from when he was growing up and they had to pinch pennies to make ends meet.  Either way, it was a comfort food to him.  As my comfort food is somewhat similar (tuna casserole: one can tuna drained, mix with cooked egg noodles and a can of cream of mushroom soup, heated together on the stove - yeah, college comfort food!), I cannot judge anyone who likes SOS, creamed tuna on toast, or anything else - lol.  I make that tuna casserole perhaps once a year, and I enjoy every bit of it.

37 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I can't imagine, but probably because I live in an area where you have to hide from people during the summer lest you have more zucchini and squashed dumped on you. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

I'm not actually a big fan of either. 

Reveal hidden contents

S9yhO0k.jpg

Ha!  I have busted out the "no means no" more than once at crazed people with armfuls of such things.  I didn't tell them to grow it!

My mom had a garden when I was a kid but I only remember green beans, raspberries, and cherries from our cherry tree gave her local fame for her pies and preserves.

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I eat a lot of zucchini because it's a lower carb veggie and I eat low carb, high fat.  I like it also because it's super quick and easy to steam some sliced zucchini - takes less than 5 minutes to have a nice serving of steamed zucchini topped with melted butter and a little salt.  I also use zucchini (shredded and well drained, or thinly sliced) as a substitute for pasta in lasagna type dishes. 

I agree, we all are used to eating certain things and often stay in our comfort zones.  As an example, I have eaten egg plant and liked it - but have never bought one myself or cooked with it, because my mom didn't either.  Not in my comfort zone and I just don't think about trying it out.  Same with spaghetti squash.

3 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

As an example, I have eaten egg plant and liked it - but have never bought one myself or cooked with it, because my mom didn't either.

Exactly.  And eggplant is something I never tried until this summer and my son, who is a vegetarian, requests it all the time now.  I'll never be an adventurous eater but it's nice to see what else is out there sometimes.

Bok choy is another one I'd never tried and we love it now.  

I personally love eggplant (my favorite street food in China was grilled eggplant topped with whole dried chilies and spicy ground pork aka BEST DRUNCHIES FOOD EVER), but it's so big and kind of annoying to prep that I never really buy it. 

Artichoke is one of those things I really wouldn't even know where to begin to cook. I've stared at it in the grocery store but never buy it because it looks complicated. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived